Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Men's Basketball Coaching Search

School: Appalachian State

Re: Men's Basketball Coaching Search

Unread post by 8993 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:40 am

I'm crossing my fingers for Lutz at this point. Craft is good, but Kerns doesn't even have a winning record at Presbyterian, so I don't know how that would go. I think Lutz would excite people more than these other two guys would.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:43 am

My biggest concern with Craft would before this year he was only 10 games above .500 for his six year career and his best before this year (which was 3rd) in the Big South was 4th (twice). Perhaps we can't set our expectations too high but I certainly wouldn't consider him a homerun hire.

appgrouch
Location: In my seat, waiting for people to shut up and play.

Unread post by appgrouch » Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:56 am

appbasketball123 wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:58 am
Lutz would of won the press conference, lots of media coverage for App and IMO probably the safest bet to get us to atleast .500 or better consistently in the conference.

Sadly, it appears Doug isn't interested. Lutz said he was willing to come, but I suspect they may not even been an offer on the table.

Jones would of been a good hire but isn't a big name like Lutz.

I think Craft is probably the best hire. If App gets Craft, I would expect him to turn things around in a 4-5 years then move on to a bigger job. That is fine, you just hire a guy to take over a good program.

If we end up missing on Craft, Doug may wish he would of offered Lutz.
Here is a question that needs to be asked, "Besides in NC/SC is Lutz a big name at this point?"

He only has a small resume outside of the state of NC and besides being an assistant at State he hasn't done anything of note since 2010. Would it help us in the Charlotte recruit market? Yes, but a known assistant hire will do the same thing. Both of the others get us a coach that got to a Tourney that we can claim as a builder.

Capel and Fox both "Won" their press conferences with "Pedigrees" and "Winning Programs".
That's what I do. I gripe and I know things.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:05 pm

Lutz about to be on the DG show

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:16 pm

I'm concerned that we're in for "same 'ol, same 'ol" treatment of MBB. Continuing the salary in the same range as before will necessitate the hiring of a coach from a lower tier of candidates. I don't, at this snapshot in time, see or feel the monetary commitment to a solid MBB program. Staying at the $250,000 level that Fox was making would be a non-starter for Bobby Lutz.

Scott Cross was easily the best head coaching candidate available at our level other than Lutz. He's the former 12-year head coach at Texas-Arlington where he was making $340,900. He agreed to contract terms at Troy yesterday. He would have been a strong hire for us.

Perhaps DG has no choice due to lack of resources, but he appears to be shopping for a head coach at or near the bottom of the barrel, so to speak. This has become depressing. I can imagine how DG must feel while trying to reel in a winner who "fits" in our budget.

IDK much about Ronnie Hamilton. He's just been at Ole Miss for one season. He's a former Duke *football player.* He doesn't seem to stay anywhere very long. He does seem to move up when he moves. Here's his info...

https://olemisssports.com/coaches.aspx? ... ath=mbball
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

JTApps1

Unread post by JTApps1 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:18 pm

appgrouch wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:56 am
appbasketball123 wrote:
Lutz would of won the press conference, lots of media coverage for App and IMO probably the safest bet to get us to atleast .500 or better consistently in the conference.

Sadly, it appears Doug isn't interested. Lutz said he was willing to come, but I suspect they may not even been an offer on the table.

I think Craft is probably the best hire. If App gets Craft, I would expect him to turn things around in a 4-5 years then move on to a bigger job. That is fine, you just hire a guy to take over a good program.

Here is a question that needs to be asked, "Besides in NC/SC is Lutz a big name at this point?"

He only has a small resume outside of the state of NC and besides being an assistant at State he hasn't done anything of note since 2010. Would it help us in the Charlotte recruit market? Yes, but a known assistant hire will do the same thing. Both of the others get us a coach that got to a Tourney that we can claim as a builder.

Capel and Fox both "Won" their press conferences with "Pedigrees" and "Winning Programs".
There's a big difference between winning a press conference and winning nearly 400 games as a HC. Capel and Fox didn't have a record to fall back on.

I don't know if Lutz was the best available coach when we started the search, but his resume is 10x better than the other names being mentioned at this point. Craft has had one good year out of six, and Kerns has one good year out of his two as a HC. Kerns may be the better of the two honestly.
Last edited by JTApps1 on Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When will "It's better than what we had" no longer be good enough for App State?

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:19 pm

As one who has been campaigning for a " do over" , I'm fired up .Period.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:19 pm

Yosef10 wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:25 am
appstatealum wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:45 am
AppSt89 nailed it....

Some of us have the luxury of the same "access" that those running the premium sites have, but when it comes to my almamater, I'm not interested in making money on people like me who just want to follow their school. Again, I'm a business guy, and I'm not knocking someone for making a dollar, and I agree that no one should be reposting articles from these sites, but information is information. Once it's out, it's out.

My sources have a passion or vested interest in the success of the school, and they share information with me because we have that in common. If they knew I used that relationship to make money, they probably wouldnt continue to share or reach out to me for feedback. Again, not knocking people for doing it, but you can't get upset with people discussing information that is publicly published, whether behind a pay wall or not.
You also haven’t really provided any good info to “those like you who just want to follow your school”, unlike the ASM site. Bit of a difference there i would say.
My forte is football. Outside of some comments I made to select members of the Athletic Dept about basketball to see their reaction, I am not in the loop on basketball info. I guess you didn’t read many of my comments on the football thread if you do not think I’ve provided any good info.
The Appalachian State

app97

Unread post by app97 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:30 pm

I’m actually more impressed with Kerns than some other candidates based on the head coaches that he has worked for, and that he has turned Presbyterian around in a very short time. Of course, there are other factors such as personality, charisma, etc. that would need to fit as well. I’m happy that we are focusing on hiring an experienced/winning head coach instead of someone because they are associated with Jordan, Curry, and/or attended UNC. Also, I haven’t seen the Campbell coach’s name today. I wonder if he “withdrew” or if he was ever really a candidate.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:39 pm

appbasketball123 wrote:

As I referenced during the football coaching searches, DG does an extensive amount of homework/research on hires. He will find any tidbits to bring up in his interviews and see how the candidate responds. While certain guys may look good on the surface to us, they may not check boxes for DG.

But what do I know.....I’m posting on a free site. :roll:
The Appalachian State

appstanding

Unread post by appstanding » Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:42 pm

AppGrad78 wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:07 am
appstanding wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:57 am
EastHallApp wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:03 am
The Rock wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:39 am
EastHallApp wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:02 pm

Pretty simple really. When you take content that's behind a paywall and post it elsewhere, you undermine the reporting and the business model of the site that provided the info.

Plus it's just a dick move once you think about it.
Is it?
Once it’s published, it is out there for whoever sees it. Is confidentiality expected at that point?
If I subscribe to a newspaper, am I not allowed to discuss a story in it with someone unless I make them prove they are a subscriber too?
Does The NY Times get pissed when other media outlets report on stories they publish?
Typically it is a good thing when subject matter you are covering gets spread to general public. Isn’t the objective to inform?
Maybe there should be a security clearance or blood oath sworn so people paying.99 cents/month will keep quiet about the men’s App St Bb coaching search.
I mean, you should be entitled to certain privileges when you pay that kind of money. I guess knowing 30 seconds before it is announced via Twitter puts you in exclusive company. Is there a secret handshake?
It’s nothing secret. Many premium sites - not just ASM - explicitly ask that subscribers not share info from their premium boards on other sites. They also often have policies not to allow posting premium info from other sites on their boards.

If you think that’s silly, you are of course free not to subscribe to or frequent those sites. But don’t then expect to get the info for free once you’ve determined it’s not worth paying for.
Policies or not, a website or a subscriber simply does not own the news or information it reports. It cannot be copyrighted. As a subscriber, you are paying, hypothetically at least, for the ability to get this news before other people, and not for some exclusive right to sit on it without others finding out. It's fine if you want to pay this site for the timeliness of the information but there is no moral or legal reason why it should kept from the general public. News about Appalachian State, its athletic programs and its coaching searches is in the public domain. Once it's out, it out.
Incorrect.

Media do “own” the news they publish. That’s why they are copyrighted. Just yesterday the sports editor of the Winston-Salem Journal demanded that a website take down content that had been lifted straight from journalnow.com.
Sorry, you are incorrect. Media own specific content, not the information itself. I used the general terms "news" and "information" in my post. Nowhere did I suggest that someone could steal a specific article and re-post it as their own with no consequences. The information itself is free to pass around. I think you may be overvaluing what you are receiving as a paid subscriber. Again, you're paying for early access, not information that you get to keep for yourself while the rest of the world lives in a state of anxious ignorance.

AppGrad78

Unread post by AppGrad78 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:09 pm

Now you're just parsing your words.

But you've successfully backpedaled enough to where I think I agree with you.

appstate24

Unread post by appstate24 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:16 pm

Sounds like the Lutz ship has sailed. Just listened to his interview on the David Glenn show and he pretty much said App is looking for someone younger.

Truly sounded like he really wanted the opportunity to coach our team. Really hope we don’t regret passing on him.

Apptrain

Unread post by Apptrain » Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:17 pm

Lutz stated on DG show that App is looking at a younger candidate.

app97

Unread post by app97 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:20 pm

https://www.roanoke.com/sports/colleges ... 4c729.html

Got a new base salary of $300k and extended through 2025. Wouldn’t be surprised if another candidate or two use us as leverage to get extended at their schools as well. Oh, make sure you click on the link to give the Roanoke paper some hits.

app97

Unread post by app97 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:24 pm

appstate24 wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:16 pm
Sounds like the Lutz ship has sailed. Just listened to his interview on the David Glenn show and he pretty much said App is looking for someone younger.

Truly sounded like he really wanted the opportunity to coach our team. Really hope we don’t regret passing on him.
Betting our budget was a factor as well.

falcoapp

Unread post by falcoapp » Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:31 pm

Going to be alot of 'what ifs' on Lutz if this hire doesn't work out.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:37 pm

It doesn't sound like the money is the problem with Lutz. Seems like its something on our side. Seems like this whole process has gotten complicated all of a sudden.

AppinATL

Unread post by AppinATL » Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:52 pm

Apptrain wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:17 pm
Lutz stated on DG show that App is looking at a younger candidate.
$&@+ ! Where has “younger” gotten us recently? I’d take proven winner over little boy with potential any day right now. Especially when the geezer apparently really wants to be here.

Hoopster

Unread post by Hoopster » Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:52 pm

Craft does not fit App St

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Basketball”