Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

North Carolina lawmakers seek to allow alcohol sales at college sporting events

MtnMan09
School: Appalachian State

Re: North Carolina lawmakers seek to allow alcohol sales at college sporting events

Unread post by MtnMan09 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:21 pm

I said all that needs to be said when we had this annual discussion in 2014:

"Re: Beer in KBS
Post by MtnMan09 » December 5th, 2014, 10:49 am

I'm in favor. Went to a game at WVU the first year they allowed alcohol sales and it was pretty cool. Oliver Luck is a smart guy and figured he could turn a good profit rangling $8 a beer out of those hillbillies. I don't think our mountain folk will be any different. We like to drink and watch football. Incidently, I don't think anyone has died during one of their football game since beer sales started.

With regards to safety issues, I think stadium sales might cut down on the level of drunkeness of fans entering the stadium. I understand many on this board don't drink or only have a few. However, this is Appalachian and the reality is that many fans drink early and often on game day. Most students, and a lot of alumni, drink to excess in order to have a sustained buzz throughout the game. This leads to all sorts of public intoxication problems in the early stages of a contest. However, knowing that you can get a beer upon entering KBS might slow the the pregame binge drinking. I think a high dollar price point is going to handcuff people who would look to abuse in game beers and drive down the mountain hammered. Sure there is always the possibility that someone won't mind shelling out 70 bucks to get lit and then gets behind the wheel. But guess what, that person is already drinking Jameson in their morning coffee, beer at tailgate, and Canadian Club mini bottles in a KBS bathroom stall.

We need revenue, and this is one way to get it. Bottom line is that if a Baptist school like Wake is able to pull this off, no reason why we shouldnt be just fine."

mgsouth

Re: North Carolina lawmakers seek to allow alcohol sales at college sporting events

Unread post by mgsouth » Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:20 pm

There's a HUGE difference between studying an event that already happened (incidents of drunken behavior at football games), and predicting an event that will happen (presidential elections; the weather). I hope you know the difference.
[/quote]

What I know is that many who drink often get drunk. More availability is going to make that easier to do. That is common sense. We have enough people drunk at the games already without selling it inside the stadium. When people get drunk they turn into one of two things, a silly idiot or an aggressive jerk. I have never been drunk but I have been around people who have been. So, I don't need any so called study. I know from observation what alcohol does to people who drink too much of it. But I am not going to argue about it anymore. Let APP start selling it. I don't have to be around it. I can watch the APP games at home and just go watch my old high school play on Friday Nights. Well...that is until some other stupid liberals try and argue that studies support that lowering the legal drinking age and selling alcohol at high school games would be a great thing to do and enough fools believe that too.

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:56 pm

mgsouth wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:20 pm
When people get drunk they turn into one of two things, a silly idiot or an aggressive jerk. I have never been drunk but I have been around people who have been. So, I don't need any so called study.
Can I hear your thought on climate change, please?

HighlandsApp

Unread post by HighlandsApp » Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:17 pm

mgsouth wrote:
There's a HUGE difference between studying an event that already happened (incidents of drunken behavior at football games), and predicting an event that will happen (presidential elections; the weather). I hope you know the difference.
" What I know is that many who drink often get drunk. More availability is going to make that easier to do. That is common sense. We have enough people drunk at the games already without selling it inside the stadium. When people get drunk they turn into one of two things, a silly idiot or an aggressive jerk. I have never been drunk but I have been around people who have been. So, I don't need any so called study. I know from observation what alcohol does to people who drink too much of it. But I am not going to argue about it anymore. Let APP start selling it. I don't have to be around it. I can watch the APP games at home and just go watch my old high school play on Friday Nights. Well...that is until some other stupid liberals try and argue that studies support that lowering the legal drinking age and selling alcohol at high school games would be a great thing to do and enough fools believe that too.
[/quote]
"

I thought your anger management group met on Friday nights?

mgsouth

Unread post by mgsouth » Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:44 pm

[/quote]

No. That’s usually when my gun club meets except during football season when we switch to Thursday nights.

NoLongerLurking

Unread post by NoLongerLurking » Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:46 pm

The law offices of Cline, Cline, and Cline.

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:59 am

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:56 am

NoLongerLurking wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:46 pm
Nope. Law offices of Bonzo, Bonzo, and Bonzo, Esq.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:42 pm

HighlandsApp wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:17 pm
mgsouth wrote:
" What I know is that many who drink often get drunk. More availability is going to make that easier to do. That is common sense. We have enough people drunk at the games already without selling it inside the stadium. When people get drunk they turn into one of two things, a silly idiot or an aggressive jerk. I have never been drunk but I have been around people who have been. So, I don't need any so called study. I know from observation what alcohol does to people who drink too much of it. But I am not going to argue about it anymore. Let APP start selling it. I don't have to be around it. I can watch the APP games at home and just go watch my old high school play on Friday Nights. Well...that is until some other stupid liberals try and argue that studies support that lowering the legal drinking age and selling alcohol at high school games would be a great thing to do and enough fools believe that too.
"

[/quote]
How did I miss a chance to post a clip from the Simpsons?

This is my very generic signature added to each post.

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:58 pm

NewApp wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:56 am
NoLongerLurking wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:46 pm
Nope. Law offices of Bonzo, Bonzo, and Bonzo, Esq.
https://youtu.be/M2a767Iktxw

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:19 pm

The problem with making the assumption that selling beer in the stadium will increase alcohol consumption because of increased availability is that it assumes compliance with the current prohibition. The reality is that many respond to the absence by smuggling in alcohol, usually in a form which is more potent (airplane bottles of liquor) and they bring in significant quantities. Frankly, those are the people mostly likely to be drunk in the game, not the ones legally purchasing beer at inflated prices at the concession stands.

Similar arguments were made for years against ABC stores, claiming that it would increase consumption. Everyone who was there knows that when Boone was dry, it just meant that regular supply runs were made to Blowing Rock and stockpiles were maintained, which can actually increase consumption.

I no longer have a dog in this fight since I don't drink, but I really don't think adding beer at concessions is going to have a negative impact.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:56 pm

All I know is we are gonna need more bathrooms.....

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:28 pm

Rekdiver wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:56 pm
All I know is we are gonna need more bathrooms.....

Again.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

NoLongerLurking

Unread post by NoLongerLurking » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:35 pm

Beer doesn't require ice in cups.

yikas1

Unread post by yikas1 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:02 am

It’s ironic to me that alcohol may be served legally at college sporting events at the same time that students are dying from hazing and alcohol poisoning on college campuses. If I wanted to go to a drunken brawl officially I can always attend the Carolina Panthers game. Why would you make that easier on college campuses to drink at football games?

MrCraig

Unread post by MrCraig » Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:18 am

yikas1 wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:02 am
It’s ironic to me that alcohol may be served legally at college sporting events at the same time that students are dying from hazing and alcohol poisoning on college campuses. If I wanted to go to a drunken brawl officially I can always attend the Carolina Panthers game. Why would you make that easier on college campuses to drink at football games?
I really don't think App games will become like Panthers games. I've been to games of every major US sport in multiple stadiums, and nothing holds a candle to some of the insane behavior I've seen at NFL games. For whatever reason, the NFL brings out the the drunkest of the drunk and the rowdiest of the rowdy. They sell all the same kinds of alcohol at NBA, MLB, NHL, and MLS games, but NFL games are the only ones that I have seen recurrent, major buffoonery from fans.

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:19 am

yikas1 wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:02 am
The answer is simple ....$$$$ Money $$$$ and we need all we can get.
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:29 am

Gonzo wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:17 am
mgsouth wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:15 pm
I have never seen alcohol turn anyone into a better person
I have. Hotter, too.
I sometimes reach superhero status when I drink. Who doesn’t like superheroes?

yikas1

Unread post by yikas1 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:34 am

I love college football but I also work with college kids who are self medicating their life away. There is not enough money to change that reality.

TheMoody1

Unread post by TheMoody1 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:50 am

yikas1 wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:34 am
I love college football but I also work with college kids who are self medicating their life away. There is not enough money to change that reality.
I doubt they will be buying many $8 beers in the stadium.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian General Discussion”