Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Shooting at UNC Charlotte

appstatealum
School: Appalachian State

Re: Shooting at UNC Charlotte

Unread post by appstatealum » Wed May 01, 2019 3:49 pm

The Rock wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 3:19 pm
IF limiting or even completely banning all guns would actually stop the problem, I would be all for it. Unfortunately it won’t, and the amount of guns that are owned at this time can never be accounted for or rounded up. Criminals will find a way to commit crimes no matter what the laws are. It does seem like these events happen often in “gun free zones” although there is no guarantee the results would be any different or better or worse if the population was also armed.
Evil exists and we cannot stop it.
I wish there was an answer but I really don’t feel like there is.
Statistically, we have about the same chance of dying in a mass shooting as being killed by lightning, and when compared to many other countries, we still have an extremely safe living environment. Only thing I can say is to appreciate every day on this earth with your loved ones, and always be aware of your surroundings and have a plan in place for the worst case scenarios.
Nailed it. Look at other countries that have tried this. Pretty much every other day you hear about bombs or acid attacks across the pond. People with evil intentions are the problem. Figuring out what gets people to this point and preventing people from doing this is the goal. Surgery, not band aids. I don’t know what the answer is, but I know where we can start. Just read the news each day and think about what is going on in the environments where the most hate and violence is spewed. That is where and how we can make impacts, it starts with the younger generations that we can positively influence.
The Appalachian State

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Wed May 01, 2019 4:26 pm

This situation will improve when families world-wide start teaching the Ten Commandments and the difference between right and wrong to their children and then holding their children accountable for their attitudes and actions during their formative years--birth to age 18. You know..in that perfect world... :cry:

Sadly, that horse has been out of the barn for 20 centuries plus...

Go volunteer in a public school 5th grade classroom for a day; then follow that up by volunteering at a public high school for a day. There's an experience in real-world culture shock for ya!
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

goapps93

Unread post by goapps93 » Wed May 01, 2019 4:42 pm

A few generations ago there was a shift from parents' reaction when confronted with their child's behavior from "oh really? Boy/girl what did do?" to "How dare you? My child would never do that." It has caused a couple of generations of people who think they can do no wrong and are unable to handle criticism/rejection.
WE ARE YOSEF!

yosef13

Unread post by yosef13 » Wed May 01, 2019 6:13 pm

I think it's worth noting that the Las Vegas shooter was a baby boomer, which is now the deadliest shooting in the US.

This is not an age, race, country, or religion issue. This is a human issue. Young, old, black, white, rich, poor, Christian, Muslim, American, and international. And it's nothing new. Murder has been a part of humanity for a very long time.

HighPointApp

Unread post by HighPointApp » Wed May 01, 2019 6:20 pm

Unfortunately in the political environment of today, the legal gun owners become the target of politicians not the criminals or people with mental health issues.
Give 'em Hell!
Class of ‘96

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Wed May 01, 2019 6:44 pm

No one Seriously is targeting legal gun owners. The 2nd amendment ain’t going anywhere. BUT There are things that can be done.
Do you really need an AR-15?
Do you really need high capacity mags?
Can’t you wait a while longer to get the gun?
What’s wrong with a national database?
Do you need a gun before 21?
Yes, improve mental health screenings?
Have non lethal defensive weapons available for teachers. (A teacher with a gun might have ended me)

HighlandsApp

Unread post by HighlandsApp » Wed May 01, 2019 7:18 pm

Rekdiver wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 6:44 pm
No one Seriously is targeting legal gun owners. The 2nd amendment ain’t going anywhere. BUT There are things that can be done.
Have non lethal defensive weapons available for teachers. (A teacher with a gun might have ended me)

Give up any discussion or debate. These people are beyond being able to question any of their strict self beliefs and only statements that validate their predetermined believe system can be rationalized. This is a group of hopefully soon to expire old farts sitting in their underwear in the trailer.

Appster99

Unread post by Appster99 » Wed May 01, 2019 7:22 pm

Anyone with a concealed carry permit is already in a database. I waited several weeks to get be granted my CCW permit while required background checks, including mental health background check, were performed by the proper authorities in part because that permit is my license to buy a firearm without having to wait every time I find a gun I want. I believe the fact that so many people own AR-15s and other guns with high capacity magazines greatly diminishes the likelihood of an enemy invading our soil. If we are ever in the unfortunate circumstance of having to defend our country (or personal property for that matter from an ever increasingly dysfunctional and over reaching government ) I would want to be the friend that helps you protect what is yours. Do you need a gun before 21? Depends on your lifestyle. I learned gun safety at 12 and hunted as a teen. If needed I have the skills to provide food for my family. Anyone who is old enough to bear a weapon to fight for their country should be able to buy one. This is only my perspective and answers to the questions posed. Respectfully, not combatively.

Appster99

Unread post by Appster99 » Wed May 01, 2019 7:32 pm

HighlandsApp wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 7:18 pm
Rekdiver wrote:

Give up any discussion or debate. These people are beyond being able to question any of their strict self beliefs and only statements that validate their predetermined believe system can be rationalized. This is a group of hopefully soon to expire old farts sitting in their underwear in the trailer.
This type of response with demeaning name calling is childish and does not promote healthy debate. In one sentence you wish the death of a group of individuals you clearly believe is beneath you. Gotta love the spirit of inclusion. That line of thinking is liberal bullying that causes such a person to snap and start shooting those who have decreased his self worth to the point of mental instability.

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Wed May 01, 2019 7:42 pm

Rekdiver wrote:
Regardless of the debate for or against the “need” for AR-15s and “high capacity” magazines, the reality of it is that there are millions and millions of each of those in public now. Getting them off the streets and out of the hands of both law abiding citizens and dangerous criminals, is impossible. That ship has sailed, so the question becomes; does limiting them at this point really solve any problems or prevent future shootings? Either of these instances are moot in the case of the UNCC shooting, as the shooter used a handgun.

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Wed May 01, 2019 7:53 pm

Before this goes off the rails and completely breaks down in to a pissing contest, why doesn't everyone agree to disagree as this is a complex issue that won't be answered on the mountaineer message board. What happened was tragic and sadly humans have been finding ways to kill other humans since humans have existed. Lets just go ahead and lock or be ready to lock this thread before the inevitable happens.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed May 01, 2019 7:55 pm

Rekdiver wrote:
I don’t think that any of these suggestions are unreasonable. The health screening will be an issue with the left due to HIPAA. Dems won’t give that up.

diehardapp18

Unread post by diehardapp18 » Wed May 01, 2019 8:03 pm

Thoughts are with the entire UNCC community. We stand in solidarity with them through these difficult times, I can't imagine the terror and heartbreak that school is dealing with right now.

As far as the gun crisis, there are a lot of factors and I'm not sure if one thing is fixing it. I still think the biggest problem is how alienated we are from one another now. It's so hard making meaningful connections in this world.

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Wed May 01, 2019 8:16 pm

Prayers for all families involved, especially this hero. Proud this young man UNCC ROTC student took action. Saddened that he had to.

https://myfox8.com/2019/05/01/source-un ... ve-others/
Last edited by Appstate88 on Wed May 01, 2019 8:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

NoLongerLurking

Unread post by NoLongerLurking » Wed May 01, 2019 8:17 pm

Combat veterans labeled with assorted "issues" will be the first to have a letter in the mail for some mandatory bullshit "pyche evaluation". Gonna get ugly quick, especially at my house. Bought my handgun on base in Arkansas right before being labeled.... guess what? I keep it locked up in my home and it has been fired 3 times. I hope and pray I don't have to unlock it.

HighlandsApp

Unread post by HighlandsApp » Wed May 01, 2019 8:57 pm

Appster99 wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 7:32 pm
HighlandsApp wrote:
Rekdiver wrote:

This type of response with demeaning name calling is childish and does not promote healthy debate. In one sentence you wish the death of a group of individuals you clearly believe is beneath you. Gotta love the spirit of inclusion. That line of thinking is liberal bullying that causes such a person to snap and start shooting those who have decreased his self worth to the point of mental instability.
Oh well..... You're a pansy so come shoot me up you mentally unstable gun Nazi.

Appster99

Unread post by Appster99 » Wed May 01, 2019 9:08 pm

HighlandsApp wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 8:57 pm
Appster99 wrote:
HighlandsApp wrote:
Rekdiver wrote:

Wow. Just wow. But I still respect your 1st amendment right to express your opinion, as I am not of the snowflake persuasion and my feelings are not hurt. Rather I appreciate your efforts in confirming my original posting about bullying. I will pray for you son.
Last edited by Appster99 on Wed May 01, 2019 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HighlandsApp

Unread post by HighlandsApp » Wed May 01, 2019 9:10 pm

:lol:
Appster99 wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 9:08 pm
HighlandsApp wrote:
Appster99 wrote:
HighlandsApp wrote:
Rekdiver wrote:

Wow. Just wow.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Wed May 01, 2019 9:23 pm

HighlandsApp wrote:
Appster99 wrote:
HighlandsApp wrote:
Rekdiver wrote:

Dude, you are completely going down the wrong path here. I think it’s best you don’t comment anymore on this subject*.

The best thing we all can do is try to change the generations behind us by being positive influencers. I am a gun owner and my father was in law enforcement. I fear guns, and train and treat them with fear. I know how to use it, but pray I don’t ever have to. If it’s not guns, it’s cars, knives, bombs, and acid. Let’s get off the “gun talk”, it’s not productive.
Last edited by appstatealum on Wed May 01, 2019 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Appalachian State

HighlandsApp

Unread post by HighlandsApp » Wed May 01, 2019 9:23 pm

I can only laugh or cry. Laugh to hide the sincere sorrow or cry for those hurting.

I have emailed the cabin to delete my profile.

I no longer find camaraderie and joy for our young student athletes on Yosef's Cabin.

In the FCS days especially, it was great to come here to find tidbits of press about our Mountaineers. Now the media covers our success as a rising FBS program and the University, including my son, does an incredible job with getting information out on dozens of outlets daily.

I am not sorry that I am a liberal and I have guns in my house but just about every one who thinks like me has abandoned this forum already.

I apologise Appster99. I felt the same delusion and attack on my values and statements as you felt towards my comments.

Go Mountaineers

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Non-Appalachian General Discussion”