Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Watauga High School Hires Female to Coach Boys Basketball.

appdaze

Re: Watauga High School Hires Female to Coach Boys Basketball.

Unread post by appdaze » Tue May 07, 2019 10:49 am

goapps93 wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 10:39 am
AppNC wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 10:27 am
I would be more concerned about her trying to carrying out duties of coaching varsity girls and boys teams at the same time. That is a lot to take on by anyone...male or female.
This should definitely be the bigger concern.
I've actually done this before. It sucked terribly. After about a month of doing double practices and double games I was completely drained and the energy level for games just wasn't what it could have been otherwise. You've got some energy for the first few weeks but after that it becomes such a physical and mental grind that it really isn't good for the players. Thankfully in my case we were able find someone to coach the boys team(as its much easier to find a boys than girls coach) to finish out the last weeks of the season.

BTK2000
School: Appalachian State

Unread post by BTK2000 » Tue May 07, 2019 10:58 am

goapps93 wrote:
AppNC wrote:
I would be more concerned about her trying to carrying out duties of coaching varsity girls and boys teams at the same time. That is a lot to take on by anyone...male or female.
I think it’s doable. Many smaller schools have setups where an asstaint varsity coach is the head coach of JV. Just depends how you structure practice.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Tue May 07, 2019 10:59 am

goapps93 wrote:
AppNC wrote:
That does seem to be a lot to ask.

asu2000

Unread post by asu2000 » Tue May 07, 2019 12:43 pm

BTK2000 wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 10:32 am
asu2000 wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 9:14 am
To DaphneUrquhart and GregPercussion - Your stating an obvious. - I am trying to get into a deeper conversation about the molding of young men by a female coach at the high school level where as a teenager your brain starts to shift from zombie mode to critical thinking. Are boys apt to listen to a female coach at that level - will boys be embarrassed?

Here is a sentence I have about a females potential success / failure in the scenario. I think her overall success could be muted because of the situation and her failure could be greatly exaggerated.

But more so how will teenage boys react on and off court and outside of the chosen sport?

........... well posts like this questioning the hire probably won’t do anything positive to keep the players from being “embarrassed”. You’ve already made is about the coaches sex and questioned the relationship between the coach and team.

The fact that you think that what’s between a persons legs means you automatically question to their ability to coach basketball speaks volumes about you as a person.

This persons success has already been muted by you because you’ve refused to make it about this new coaches success and entirely about their sex
I do not recall questioning the coaches ability. If the coach didn't have the ability they would not have been considered (male or female) and then you question me about my volume as a person. Seems strange -

I am trying to understand more of the psychology of the interactions of the male and female in this overall scenario of a young persons life in a given set of time (high school).

This is a new path from the norm - thus questions will arise - you think the current players don't have questions, I guarantee they have questions and conversations are being had between parents and high schoolers. Similar questions asked here and similar points brought up here as well and those questions that people are too afraid to type out - Again this is not an attack on an individual but a discussion of the scenario.

Your attack on me seems short sighted - I can infer many things from your sentences as well.

asu2000

Unread post by asu2000 » Tue May 07, 2019 12:59 pm

GregPercussion wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 9:32 am
asu2000 wrote:
To DaphneUrquhart and GregPercussion - Your stating an obvious. - I am trying to get into a deeper conversation about the molding of young men by a female coach at the high school level where as a teenager your brain starts to shift from zombie mode to critical thinking. Are boys apt to listen to a female coach at that level - will boys be embarrassed?

Here is a sentence I have about a females potential success / failure in the scenario. I think her overall success could be muted because of the situation and her failure could be greatly exaggerated.

But more so how will teenage boys react on and off court and outside of the chosen sport?
The obvious point is the point. Don't read too deep into it. The young boys/girls will end up reacting to a coach in the manner they deem appropriate. If it's because of the sex of the coach; that's their own choice. I believe young people should be molded by people of all sexs.
But in regards to basketball, as Daphne said "If she's qualified, it shouldn't be big news at all". If she's got the qualifications and knows how to coach then the kids will be fine.
I would have to say that currently it is big news and it does make headlines - we are entering only slightly chartered territory in that there are not many high school and up women coaching mens sports. I have no stats but I would say men coaching womens sports is still large and that women coaching mens sports would be miniscule in numbers. (except for the occasional cross over type teams like track and field / cross country) I am not really opposed to the ideas as of course the jury is still out - but its new territory and how does it shape and mold the participants, especially the players. In a usually male dominated coaching sport especially at the high school level.

And for the record I am not aiming for her to fail at all - its like a college class where the professor asks you to think and think deeper.

brocktune90

Unread post by brocktune90 » Tue May 07, 2019 1:44 pm

I like this. I can only find positives. What are the negatives that you see?

DaphneUrquhart

Unread post by DaphneUrquhart » Tue May 07, 2019 2:40 pm

asu2000 wrote:

Would you have asked the same question about the male coaches I had in junior high and high school? Or would the question only have arisen when I began coaching high school boys? Why would it be embarrassing to listen to any coach who knew what he or she was talking about? I'd wager that all of these boys have both male and female teachers - some of whom they respect and heed; others whom they neither respect nor heed.

The point is that respect is earned regardless of gender or color. If a high school student cannot learn from both male and female, white and black, there are likely other issues at play.
If serving is beneath you, then leading is beyond you.

#GiveYosef

mike87

Unread post by mike87 » Tue May 07, 2019 2:55 pm

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 10:13 am
mike87 wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 9:50 am
on the individual level, i'm sure she is a good person, good coach and will do fine. But, there is a difference between men and women, there just is. And young men do need a male role model to become better men. And someone other than a parent. Probably same for young women, I don't know because, i'm a guy. There's a bond between a good coach and player that's more than just the sport. That male bond is healthy and for that reason my opinion is a male coach for male high school/college sports is better. At a younger age or at a professional level it probably doesn't matter.
Sure, a male coach could relate more to the pubescent changes that the boys go through, but what does me being able to relate to having hair grow on my nuts as a teen have anything to do with my ability to coach and be a positive influence in a high school boy? Being a positive role model has nothing to do with gender.
it might teach you not to speak about the hair on your nuts in a public forum

appgrad2010

Unread post by appgrad2010 » Tue May 07, 2019 2:59 pm

Those that interviewed most be somewhat frustrated, as she was one of the individuals on the search committee. That is an extreme conflict of interest, is it not?

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Tue May 07, 2019 4:42 pm

This is a nothing burger. Coach is a coach regardless of gender. And might as well get used to being bossed by a woman. At work and at home.....😁⛹🏻‍♀️.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue May 07, 2019 4:53 pm

Forgetting her qualifications; but how does having her pull double duties good for her or either program? Is Watauga strapped for cash that the stipends to pay two head coaches is too much. I wish her luck, but I hope this doesn’t burn her out or affect her home life.

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Tue May 07, 2019 7:08 pm

mike87 wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 2:55 pm
/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 10:13 am
mike87 wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 9:50 am
on the individual level, i'm sure she is a good person, good coach and will do fine. But, there is a difference between men and women, there just is. And young men do need a male role model to become better men. And someone other than a parent. Probably same for young women, I don't know because, i'm a guy. There's a bond between a good coach and player that's more than just the sport. That male bond is healthy and for that reason my opinion is a male coach for male high school/college sports is better. At a younger age or at a professional level it probably doesn't matter.
Sure, a male coach could relate more to the pubescent changes that the boys go through, but what does me being able to relate to having hair grow on my nuts as a teen have anything to do with my ability to coach and be a positive influence in a high school boy? Being a positive role model has nothing to do with gender.
it might teach you not to speak about the hair on your nuts in a public forum

I feel disappointed...yet...honored that of all the things you could have said in your reply, you decided to focus on my nuts.
Twitter: @brosef_yosef

BTK2000

Unread post by BTK2000 » Tue May 07, 2019 7:09 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 4:53 pm
Forgetting her qualifications; but how does having her pull double duties good for her or either program? Is Watauga strapped for cash that the stipends to pay two head coaches is too much. I wish her luck, but I hope this doesn’t burn her out or affect her home life.

“....affect her home life”? Can I get an explanation on that statement?

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue May 07, 2019 7:16 pm

BTK2000 wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 7:09 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 4:53 pm

“....affect her home life”? Can I get an explanation on that statement?
Sure. Coaching is a big commitment. Being at your full time job all day and then coaching a team, game planning and games, as well as, the rigorous demands of her teaching duties is tough on anyone. Now double the practices and game planning and that makes for a very long day that can take a toll on someone personally as well. If she is married, involved, kids, whatever, those relationships suffer. People do it all the time but has anyone been successful at it doing both concurrently?

huskie3

Unread post by huskie3 » Tue May 07, 2019 8:19 pm

Delete
Bring Your A Game!

NoLongerLurking

Unread post by NoLongerLurking » Tue May 07, 2019 9:00 pm

2 things:

A) She is probably cheaper approximately to the tune of .70 on the dollar.

2) I had a female drill instructor that was never present during showers or at night. She was a great leader and molder of persons. Coach doesn't have to be there when the kids shower, and that should be the case period...

And D) When does football come back? I'm sick of FB/Twitter/Geocities/MySpace/Bridge Club topics dominating the discussion here.

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Tue May 07, 2019 9:15 pm

NoLongerLurking wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 9:00 pm

And D) When does football come back? I'm sick of FB/Twitter/Geocities/MySpace/Bridge Club topics dominating the discussion here.
This is actually pretty tame. The older boards were like the wild west in the off season.

WataugaMan

Unread post by WataugaMan » Wed May 08, 2019 6:57 am

Rekdiver wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 4:42 pm
This is a nothing burger. Coach is a coach regardless of gender. And might as well get used to being bossed by a woman. At work and at home.....😁⛹🏻‍♀️.
On a serious note, some of the best supervisors I've ever had were female.

WarApp

Unread post by WarApp » Wed May 08, 2019 10:43 am

Ridiculous she has to coach both teams. What a joke.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Wed May 08, 2019 10:57 am

WarApp wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 10:43 am
Ridiculous she has to coach both teams. What a joke.
Agree. Cant believe she agreed to it.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian General Discussion”