Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Athlon 2019

AppStFan1
School: Appalachian State

Re: Athlon 2019

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Tue May 21, 2019 9:20 am

gsoappfan wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 9:12 am
Nope and if we go 9-4 there should be some shakeup unless Zach Thomas is injured or we see a bevy of starters go down. I also don't see us winning the SBC with a 6-2 league record. Troy should be very good and I doubt we could have two losses and finish above them.

9-4 is just not acceptable in Boone, NC in 2019. I could have stomached that in 2016, 2017, and even last year if Zach Thomas had not been as good as he was. However, after seeing how good we were last year I will gladly pull my YOSEF donation if we go 9-4. How anyone on this board could be okay with that with the talent we have is beyond me.

We better beat UNC. If we can't beat UNC then we have no business receiving any votes in the top 25. Period. They aren't anywhere near a top 40 team right now. I did not think we should have been ranked last year at any point but this year if we take it one game at a time and Drink/Roof are as good as they are suppose to be then we should go 11-1 or 12-0 in regular season. We have the talent. Best QB, RB, OL, LB, and maybe WR/TEs and special teams units in the SBC. Our DB unit is probably 2nd best.
That's true support there. :roll:
[/quote]

I did not mean to say gladly. I will be very mad if we do that. I was going to say something else but forgot to pull that word. I won't be happy about it but I will not support this staff if they go 9-4. I really don't like even talking about it because I expect 10-2, 11-1, or 12-0 in the regular season.

Other than injuries, someone tell me why and how we should go 9-4 and heads on the staff should not roll??? Tell me how that is okay after what we did last year? I'm not being a homer here. Look at our roster, returning All-SBC, how we did against a top 20 Penn State team, and tell me how that is okay?

As for UNC, they were awful last year and we need to beat them in 2019. If we lose to them early on then we better hope they win 7-9 games and we win out or only lose to South Carolina if we even think we should receive any votes for the top 25 after that.

sixtoes9134

Unread post by sixtoes9134 » Tue May 21, 2019 10:04 am

All you 11-1 and 12-0 people need to simmer. We have a new coaching staff and lost some key talent and will be running a different playbook on offense. Not saying we don't have equal or better talent waiting in the wings. But I think we need to be realistic that there could be some hiccups this year. I'm pretty sure there is ZERO chance I pull my YOSEF Club donation unless I fall on hard times.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Tue May 21, 2019 10:08 am

In addition to the P5 games, we go to Troy and UL. Those are easily 4 potential losses right there. And GS is no sure thing even at home. That's not to say we lose 4 but none of those games are a gimme.

Longrifle28

Unread post by Longrifle28 » Tue May 21, 2019 10:09 am

Not sure what to expect this year with an all new coaching staff. I know we are very talented, and the new staff seems to have the experience needed. It's all going to depend on chemistry, injuries, and if this staff can coach them up.

This won't be the same UNC from the past two years. They've had decent recruiting classes and now they have a coach that gives them confidence. USC has to recruit and play at an SEC level. We always seem to drop a conference game....

I think I'll temper my expectations a little. 3 or 4 losses could happen. Anything less is gravy.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Tue May 21, 2019 10:18 am

Longrifle28 wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 10:09 am
Not sure what to expect this year with an all new coaching staff. I know we are very talented, and the new staff seems to have the experience needed. It's all going to depend on chemistry, injuries, and if this staff can coach them up.

This won't be the same UNC from the past two years. They've had decent recruiting classes and now they have a coach that gives them confidence. USC has to recruit and play at an SEC level. We always seem to drop a conference game....

I think I'll temper my expectations a little. 3 or 4 losses could happen. Anything less is gravy.
I could see a loss to Troy for sure. GSU should be a win because we have them in Boone and want revenge. UNC should be better but if we can't beat them then we better just forget being a top 25 caliber team. I know anything can happen but with our talent, if our coaches don't screw it up and they mesh well with our players, then we should at least go 10-2. 9-4 just is not acceptable. 9-4 would tell me we made the wrong choice in staff. Our 2019 team is plenty good enough to beat a team like UNC and win the SBC. Anything less will be a huge disappointment.

AppySprayberry

Unread post by AppySprayberry » Tue May 21, 2019 10:29 am

AppStFan1 wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 9:07 am
AppSt94 wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 6:27 pm
Rekdiver wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 6:23 pm
So they have us losing to both UNC and USC.....
You don’t?
Nope and if we go 9-4 there should be some shakeup unless Zach Thomas is injured or we see a bevy of starters go down. I also don't see us winning the SBC with a 6-2 league record. Troy should be very good and I doubt we could have two losses and finish above them.

9-4 is just not acceptable in Boone, NC in 2019. I could have stomached that in 2016, 2017, and even last year if Zach Thomas had not been as good as he was. However, after seeing how good we were last year I will pull my YOSEF donation if we go 9-4. How anyone on this board could be okay with that with the talent we have is beyond me.

We better beat UNC. If we can't beat UNC then we have no business receiving any votes in the top 25. Period. They aren't anywhere near a top 40 team right now. I did not think we should have been ranked last year at any point but this year if we take it one game at a time and Drink/Roof are as good as they are suppose to be then we should go 11-1 or 12-0 in regular season. We have the talent. Best QB, RB, OL, LB, and maybe WR/TEs and special teams units in the SBC. Our DB unit is probably 2nd best.
Wow. Just wow. You'd pull a donation because of a 9 win season? I guess I shouldn't be surprised since you don't even know how to spell the quarterback's name, but that's utterly pathetic.

Boroneer10

Unread post by Boroneer10 » Tue May 21, 2019 10:49 am

sixtoes9134 wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 10:04 am
All you 11-1 and 12-0 people need to simmer. We have a new coaching staff and lost some key talent and will be running a different playbook on offense. Not saying we don't have equal or better talent waiting in the wings. But I think we need to be realistic that there could be some hiccups this year. I'm pretty sure there is ZERO chance I pull my YOSEF Club donation unless I fall on hard times.
11 wins this year should be the expectation with what we have coming back from an 11 win team last year.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Tue May 21, 2019 11:41 am

AppStFan1 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
Rekdiver wrote:
You don’t?

9-4 is just not acceptable in Boone, NC in 2019. I could have stomached that in 2016, 2017, and even last year if Zach Thomas had not been as good as he was. However, after seeing how good we were last year I will pull my YOSEF donation if we go 9-4. How anyone on this board could be okay with that with the talent we have is beyond me.

I’d never pull my Yosef donation......

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Tue May 21, 2019 11:47 am

I'm not a High Roller in Yosef Club. I give because I'm a proud Mountaineer and Fan of App State Athletics. Why would anyone put a Football win-loss requirement on a "gift" to support the Yosef Club and App State Athletics? Alumni don't think this way. By the way, I think we could even be 8-5 but believe we have the potential for 13-1 or 12-2 this season. Either way its a great to be a Mountaineer...Go APPS! One game at a time boys.... #BeatETSU.

Potential
ETSU W
UNCC W
UNC W
CCU W
ULL W
ULM W
USA W
GASO W
USC L
GSU W
TxSt W
Troy W
Conf Title W
Bowl Toss up (W if back in N'awlins (NO), L if in New Years Day Six Bowl)

Possible
ETSU W
UNCC W
UNC L
CCU W
ULL L
ULM W
USA W
GASO W
USC L
GSU W
TxSt W
Troy L
Conf Title DNP - Not in the hunt
Bowl L (Mobile or Orlando)
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Tue May 21, 2019 1:56 pm

Drink said when he was hired this is a top 25 program. Does anyone think going 8-4 would be satisfactory after the Satt era? Would that performance be considered a BIG setback to our program? I hope the answers are obvious. The NEW bar has been set whether everybody on this board admit it or not.

Could it happen? Absolutely, but that would mean something is wrong. These predictions should be based on “most probable scenarios.

I believe we can go 13-0. That is not the most probable outcome and realize some unknowns may occur. The probability is we go 12-1 but then we could go up or down from that bar. 8-4 is way below and 13-0 is above.

So the question is “Will we underachieve or overachieve this year?”

Sounds like a number of folks on this board don’t have a lot of confidence in our new team and expect us to underachieve.

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Tue May 21, 2019 2:37 pm

Something to consider, if we go 11-1 or 12-0 in the regular season, plus win our conference championship game, we're going to have a little tougher competition in the bowl game than what the MAC or CUSA can provide.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue May 21, 2019 4:17 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
Rekdiver wrote:
You don’t?

Just curious, but exactly what kind of shakeup would you want to see after a 9-4 season?

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Tue May 21, 2019 4:19 pm

NattyBumppo'sRevenge wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 2:37 pm
Something to consider, if we go 11-1 or 12-0 in the regular season, plus win our conference championship game, we're going to have a little tougher competition in the bowl game than what the MAC or CUSA can provide.
Maybe, unless Central Florida does the same thing in which case we might still be playing in a SunBelt aligned bowl game. That part is beyond our control.

sixtoes9134

Unread post by sixtoes9134 » Tue May 21, 2019 4:54 pm

The thing that sucks is that for us to BE a top 25 program, we will have to consistently win 10+ games a year in the regular season. That's really hard to do.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Tue May 21, 2019 6:00 pm

I expect us to win all of our G5 games , every year , and I’m disappointed when we don’t. I really don’t expect us to win our P5 games, but we will win some , here and there. The resource difference is huge. The players bigger ,faster and stronger.The bench much deeper. However we will catch some teams a little off or a little down,and we will make them pay. It’s coming. I hope it’s this year.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue May 21, 2019 6:24 pm

AtlAppMan wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 1:56 pm
Drink said when he was hired this is a top 25 program. Does anyone think going 8-4 would be satisfactory after the Satt era? Would that performance be considered a BIG setback to our program? I hope the answers are obvious. The NEW bar has been set whether everybody on this board admit it or not.

Could it happen? Absolutely, but that would mean something is wrong. These predictions should be based on “most probable scenarios.

I believe we can go 13-0. That is not the most probable outcome and realize some unknowns may occur. The probability is we go 12-1 but then we could go up or down from that bar. 8-4 is way below and 13-0 is above.

Sounds like a number of folks on this board don’t have a lot of confidence in our new team and expect us to underachieve.
This is spot on. Something to keep in mind is that if there is something wrong, as fans, we may not know what it is. There are a lot of variables that go into a winning program and sometimes, things don't click all at once. I am not underestimating this team when I say that we could go 8-4 in the regular season. Our 4 toughest games are all on the road and we could be a better football team with a worse record than last year.

Not something mentioned above by AtlAppMan, but in general, I find it interesting how some of you are more pessimistic about Roof than Drink. Drink is a first time HC and coaching QBs and the OC along with HC duties. Roof has been coaching college football since before Eli could walk and has been a HC before. I am far less concerned with what Roof can do than I am with Eli. Defense wins championships and this guy has seen about everything you can see on that side of the ball.

GoBoone

Unread post by GoBoone » Tue May 21, 2019 6:25 pm

Rekdiver wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 11:41 am
AppStFan1 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
Rekdiver wrote:
You don’t?

I’d never pull my Yosef donation......
Nor would I but I guess some people like to stomp up and down and make noise.

PhillyApp1

Unread post by PhillyApp1 » Tue May 21, 2019 6:47 pm

My opinion is Roof has been given an App State gift from Coach Woody.
Coach Drink trusts Coach Roof.
The mountain has magic and I believe Coach Roof will be blessed, like the rest of us.
And Doug Gillen has learned about the magic, we are lucky.
Enjoy the ride !!!!

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Wed May 22, 2019 1:20 am

AppySprayberry wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 10:29 am
AppStFan1 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
Rekdiver wrote:
You don’t?

Wow. Just wow. You'd pull a donation because of a 9 win season? I guess I shouldn't be surprised since you don't even know how to spell the quarterback's name, but that's utterly pathetic.
It was a typo. We all know it is just Zac. I was typing fast and I'm use to spelling it with a Zach for everyone beside our QB.

I would not really pull the money (that was just me making a statement with emotion) but no true fan who knows what we have can honestly tell me that 9-4 is okay. If someone thinks 9-4 would be okay then they don't know the talent we have. This team is stacked and should be very good.

Looking back at our 2018 team we were not top 25 caliber yet but we certainly flashed it. If Drink is as good and innovative as the buzz is and we stay healthy then we should be able to go 11-1 or 12-0. MTSU was basically the best team in the CUSA or tied for it and we made them look like a FCS when our offense was opened up. I believe in our talent and the playcalling of Drink that we could have a truly special season.

It all starts with ETSU but if our team stays focused and stay healthy then there is no reason for us not sweep the SBC.

Something to watch with Troy is that they are losing key players. They have already had 3 key players transfer out and they have a new staff as well. They don't have nearly as much returning talent as it looked like in December.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Wed May 22, 2019 1:21 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 6:24 pm
AtlAppMan wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 1:56 pm

This is spot on. Something to keep in mind is that if there is something wrong, as fans, we may not know what it is. There are a lot of variables that go into a winning program and sometimes, things don't click all at once. I am not underestimating this team when I say that we could go 8-4 in the regular season. Our 4 toughest games are all on the road and we could be a better football team with a worse record than last year.

Not something mentioned above by AtlAppMan, but in general, I find it interesting how some of you are more pessimistic about Roof than Drink. Drink is a first time HC and coaching QBs and the OC along with HC duties. Roof has been coaching college football since before Eli could walk and has been a HC before. I am far less concerned with what Roof can do than I am with Eli. Defense wins championships and this guy has seen about everything you can see on that side of the ball.
I fully expect us to do what we should or perhaps overachieve.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”