Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

CFN Picks App to win SBC

AtlAppMan
School: Appalachian State

CFN Picks App to win SBC

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:16 pm

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb ... ar-AACuOaF

This seems like a good analysis and fair. Picks App to win SBC.

AppStFan1

Re: CFN Picks App to win SBC

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:53 pm

I get the logic we may win 9 because of Troy and Louisiana on the road but we still have more talent than both teams. Louisiana will have to out coach us, IMO. GSU is a revenge game for us at home so I feel like we should win that for sure.

If Georgia State and CCU had a lot of talent I would fear those as losses if we are coming off P5 wins. Luckily they don't.

I feel like our best offensive player is Sutton because he dominates his position better than anyone else but Thomas certainly is great and the best in the SBC, when healthy. I do feel like Josh Thomas is a bit low in our top 5. He probably should be 2nd or 3rd at the very least.

I am nervous about CB and DT a little bit as they mention. We really need someone to step up in both of those spots but luckily we have a good rush on the edge and the best LBs in the SBC. Luckily while they develop we should be averaging 35 a game with this offense.

GregPercussion

Unread post by GregPercussion » Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:04 am

Great article. Best one this off-season. Excited for the year!

smokeshow

Unread post by smokeshow » Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:13 pm

Bold take but our secondary will be just as good if not better than last years squad. Losing Duck is a wash his weaknesses outweighed his strengths last year. We will miss Hayes!! Whoever they plug in for Duck will be more versatile and the secondary will not be designed around one guy running single coverage the whole game.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:28 am

Is this the unpopular take thread?

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:08 am

smokeshow wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:13 pm
Bold take but our secondary will be just as good if not better than last years squad. Losing Duck is a wash his weaknesses outweighed his strengths last year. We will miss Hayes!! Whoever they plug in for Duck will be more versatile and the secondary will not be designed around one guy running single coverage the whole game.
Could you please elaborate on your assessment of Duck?

smokeshow

Unread post by smokeshow » Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:20 am

Duck was a solid lock down corner through out his career. He was relativity undersized and couldn't play up on the line because any WR with size would blow him off the line with a good punch. His biggest issue was he never seemed capable of running complicated coverages that every other DB was capable of. This limits our defenses ability to call different pass coverages. His Junior year was an unimpressive year where you saw teams with big WRs focus in on him realizing his weakness and attacking it for big gains. Georgia Southern did this very well!! He never really was able to pickup switches and would constantly be found lagging behind when he got beat on the switches.

Don't get me wrong he was a good player I just don't think he was as good as the fans wanted to believe he was. He had a decent amount of pass breakups throughout the year but was targeted more than any of the other DBs. You wonder why? They saw the same stuff I'm pointing out and tried to take advantage of it.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:41 am

Any player that makes the All-SBC team multiple years (as voted by coaches as well) will be missed.

Where can I see the targeted stat? It didn't seem that way to me (I didn't track it obviously).

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:01 am

I didn't see Duck being targeted either. I would be interested in seeing any actual stats that might be available. This is the first and only reference I've seen stating that he was being targeted MORE than other DBs. In fact, that seems to be the opposite of most comments.

Considering Georgia Southern had one pass completion on three attempts (and that was a busted play for a TD where the entire defense was caught flat footed) I don't think you could say GS did ANYTHING with their WRs that exploited Duck's size or coverage skills "a lot."

gsoappfan

Unread post by gsoappfan » Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:12 pm

smokeshow wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:20 am
Duck was a solid lock down corner through out his career. He was relativity undersized and couldn't play up on the line because any WR with size would blow him off the line with a good punch. His biggest issue was he never seemed capable of running complicated coverages that every other DB was capable of. This limits our defenses ability to call different pass coverages. His Junior year was an unimpressive year where you saw teams with big WRs focus in on him realizing his weakness and attacking it for big gains. Georgia Southern did this very well!! He never really was able to pickup switches and would constantly be found lagging behind when he got beat on the switches.

Don't get me wrong he was a good player I just don't think he was as good as the fans wanted to believe he was. He had a decent amount of pass breakups throughout the year but was targeted more than any of the other DBs. You wonder why? They saw the same stuff I'm pointing out and tried to take advantage of it.
Duck... "Helped App State tie for No. 1 nationally with only eight passing touchdowns allowed. Defense also ranked No. 4 in scoring defense, No. 5 in passing yards allowed, No. 5 in fewest yards per pass attempt and No. 3 in pass efficiency defense … Key player in defense that ranked No. 1 nationally by allowing only 10 offensive plays of 30-plus yards and tied for No. 1 by allowing just one play of 50-plus yards"

The numbers don't support your claim that Duck was giving up big gains.

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:39 pm

Sure wish he'd stayed in school
BLACK SATURDAY

huskie3

Unread post by huskie3 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:03 pm

Show, I don't know what you have been smoking but Duck was not a liability on defense or special teams.
Bring Your A Game!

proasu89

Unread post by proasu89 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:44 pm

smokeshow wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:20 am

I think you are looking for the unpopular opinion thread.

SpeedkingATL

Unread post by SpeedkingATL » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:12 pm

I would certainly take Duck back starting at DB this season if I had a choice as well as returning punts.

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:05 am

Safe bet to pick APP this preseason, last year preseason I saw Arkansas St was picked, and they didn't win did they? If we stay healthy, I favor us to honor this guy's pick.
BLACK SATURDAY

smokeshow

Unread post by smokeshow » Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:29 am

All I'm saying is we as a secondary will be better this year than last year with no Duck. If I'm wrong darn!

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:51 am

smokeshow wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:29 am
All I'm saying is we as a secondary will be better this year than last year with no Duck. If I'm wrong darn!
Have to disagree with you. Duck was one of the most fundamentally sound individuals at the position that we have ever had. No way he has the career that he did without his understanding of positioning and his spacial awareness to direct receivers to the boundaries and use the sidelines as an extra defender. Sure he got beat sometimes but he was a great cornerback at the college level.

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:57 am

Duck was a Freshman All American at the FBS level. Nuff said...

I would say Clifton Duck and Tae Hayes who both signed UDFA contracts were a darn good CB tandem at any level. They have raised, and set the bar high for Jean-Charles, Jolly, Jones, Level, Beach and others to take it to the next level. I expect the new CB crew to be tested early given we have returning seasoned starters at S and FS. However, I do not expect a drop off in performance from last year. Our defense is our strength again this year and if they can stay healthy will be what wins another championship.

More concerned about how long it takes for the players to trust the new coaches. Click with the new offensive playbook and understanding new concepts in Special Teams.
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:42 pm

Still waiting on the support Duck was targeted more than others.

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:21 pm

Saint3333 wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:42 pm
Still waiting on the support Duck was targeted more than others.
I would say he was targeted more his freshman year and he performed outstanding. Last year, teams tried the center of the field to avoid Hayes and Duck and our FS and S ate their lunch....

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/d ... n-coverage

From this article...."Lesser known Clifton Duck of Appalachian State recorded the eighth-lowest passer rating when targeted (35.5) among draft-eligible cornerbacks during his sophomore season following a very impressive freshman year in which he allowed just a 62.9 passer rating into his throws. He now has 11 career interceptions and seven career pass breakups to his name as a Mountaineer."
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”