Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Update: BB, Burgers & Pizza

9Steelman

Update: BB, Burgers & Pizza

Unread post by 9Steelman » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:42 am

We have $1,600 toward providing free Burgers or Pizza for students at select home BB games. Would love to have 4 more $100 donations to reach $2,000. If interested get checks/cash to Brian Tracy or Ken Davis.

BUTCH1991
School: Appalachian State

Re: Update: BB, Burgers & Pizza

Unread post by BUTCH1991 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:56 am

When will they start this? Would love to see the athletics office reach out to donors requesting contributions to make it happen.

9Steelman

Unread post by 9Steelman » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:06 am

Brian Tracy in athletic office is coordinating this. Probably need to discuss with him!

BUTCH1991

Unread post by BUTCH1991 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:15 am

Thanks for promoting it. Whatever we can to kid the students there and see if we can get them hooked. They need to show up.

3rd

Unread post by 3rd » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:27 am

I love the effort here. I talked with some athletic officials at a meeting and expressed my issues with students not being able to food money on App cards that they can use anywhere else but at basketball games. This is an issue with the university owning the building. Athletics doesn’t have any control. Sad sad

agentpaul001

Unread post by agentpaul001 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:57 am

Does anyone know what this number might look like for the whole season? I like some of the initiatives rolling down from on high and perhaps another year of this would help those kick-off even better.

Rfox1949

Unread post by Rfox1949 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:35 pm

Brian left the University in January to go to work for Mark Ricks

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:10 am

agentpaul001 wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:57 am
Does anyone know what this number might look like for the whole season? I like some of the initiatives rolling down from on high and perhaps another year of this would help those kick-off even better.
If tbe early MBB schedule in Nov. (first two home OOC games...Charlotte and ECU) are as have been rumored by a couple of rock-solid and dependable sources, the athletic department needs to pull all the stops to assure a rousing crowd for our team and new coaching staff. These two games could go down to the wire and very well could get our team off to a 2-0 start against in-state D-I competition. I'm certainly willing to do my part to help make that happen. Let's do it!
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

agentpaul001

Unread post by agentpaul001 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:52 am

Just to bump this, I'm sure we could find a new contact if desired to do this. I'll reach out and see if it's possible to do something similar again.

proasu89

Unread post by proasu89 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:40 pm

agentpaul001 wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:52 am
Just to bump this, I'm sure we could find a new contact if desired to do this. I'll reach out and see if it's possible to do something similar again.
Try Jason Allison. He is working with the Yosef Club and I think, as a special assistant to Coach Kerns.

agentpaul001

Unread post by agentpaul001 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:56 am

I reached out to Jason and hadn't heard back after my last email. I know he was organizing some alumni events and is probably busy with that. I'll keep you posted when I hear back.

BooneKarate

Unread post by BooneKarate » Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:29 pm

This is an amazing effort. But what if we pushed the athletics department to use the money to turn a profit on what we are giving them instead of giving students cold cheeseburgers? Maybe have an actual giveaway instead of leftover football rally towels or football posters? Just some thoughts to keep the discussion going so that our men's basketball program can get closer to being a profitable sport instead of spending money to attract non-paying customers!

agentpaul001

Unread post by agentpaul001 » Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:32 pm

Just an update. Jason assisted me in sending in $500 to get things kickstarted. He put in me contact with someone in marketing to figure out what else it would take to get something beyond the first couple games situated. I'll let you know what they say.

BooneKarate

Unread post by BooneKarate » Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:30 pm

agentpaul001 wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:32 pm
Just an update. Jason assisted me in sending in $500 to get things kickstarted. He put in me contact with someone in marketing to figure out what else it would take to get something beyond the first couple games situated. I'll let you know what they say.
Amazing gift! Any chance this group would be interested in getting funds together to market to consumers who would have to pay to come to the game? Just thinking of how we could actually help the athletics department make some additional money so they can be a little more sustainable long time if they can turn 1 time buyers into multi-game buyers and then into season ticket buyers. Then heck maybe even YC members. Wouldn't that be a cool ladder to start them on?

Or we can give a sophomore a room temperature burger. Either one. Just wanted the option out there again.

agentpaul001

Unread post by agentpaul001 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:06 am

BooneKarate wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:30 pm
agentpaul001 wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:32 pm
Amazing gift! Any chance this group would be interested in getting funds together to market to consumers who would have to pay to come to the game? Just thinking of how we could actually help the athletics department make some additional money so they can be a little more sustainable long time if they can turn 1 time buyers into multi-game buyers and then into season ticket buyers. Then heck maybe even YC members. Wouldn't that be a cool ladder to start them on?

Or we can give a sophomore a room temperature burger. Either one. Just wanted the option out there again.
Yep on board with this thinking they provided some specific opportunities to help support the team along with associated cost. I've attached all the ideas they provided, but my initial impression is that the full schedule/route info to Holmes makes the most sense. Runs for the length of the core season and I know when I attended (Granted way the hell back) I'd frequently leave games only for classmates to be surprised there was a basketball game.

Local/Regional Advertisement of Schedule
AppalCART Bus Banners with Schedule/Route Info to Holmes (Dec 15-Feb 15) ~$1,000-$1,500 (depending on how many buses)

Game Day/Night Enhancements
FREE FOOD promo at Concessions for a game(s) TBD - ~$500 (per game)
Heroes Night (Feb 20) specialty HEROES-themed giveaway (challenge coin or premium item TBD) - ~$1,000
Life size cut outs (with photo backdrop) of Alumni Players & 2019 Senior Class for Alumni & Senior Day games (Feb 22 & Feb 29) ~$1,500

If you donate via the Yosef online portal and select basketball the donations will end up in right place (not the most intuitive). Thoughts?

BooneKarate

Unread post by BooneKarate » Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:54 pm

Thanks for putting this in here agentpaul! I have a few thoughts, yes. I'll try to keep them in order of the way you presented the options so we don't get all confused.

- I couldn't tell you the last ad that I saw on the side of a bus, so I'm not sure how this would be effective. Definitely not a trackable form of marketing. How about some digital marketing? Something that tracks CTR and conversions? That way we know if it is working or not.

- Didn't they do free food at a game last year? Heard that was a bust.

- Love, love, love heroes night. Can't do enough for our military and first responders. Only thing here is that we give the marketing department $1,000 to let them give away free tickets and purchase a premium item with the giveaway, once again, not making any money. We would just be providing the recoup of the cost that was spent on it. Sounds more like a sponsorship opportunity for a company who wants to show their support of military and first responders. It's not a money maker. But should definitely be a free ticket opp.

- Life size cut outs. They had these last year didn't they? Did anyone buy tickets because of it? Highly doubt it. I'd be shocked.

Come on Spence, stop trying the same stuff over and over. What will truly yield results that you can point to and say, hey that did it, that sold tickets. Let's create a ticket pack that sells a mini basketball with the tickets and do a markup on the pricing. Let's do a ticket and t-shirt pack and do a markup on the shirt. Let's do some digital marketing that is targeted at selling tickets (and I'm not talking only facebook ads). If we want this program to succeed then there has to be a true marketing budget behind it. If we can't carve out an extra few thousand to put towards our MBB and WBB programs to make a direct ROI on, then we need to reconsider how we spend our money and if it has ROI to it. What if we had a free shirt to the first 2,000 fans? And then 2,000 people actually showed up. That's a win cause everyone of the non-students had to buy a ticket.

Starting to think that the amount of money available isn't the issue and that the management of the money is the issue. Maybe we need new marketing money management. It seems to have been an issue for the past 3 years...

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Basketball”