Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

North End Zone Construction

smokeshow
School: Appalachian State

Re: North End Zone Construction

Unread post by smokeshow » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:01 pm

Dude thats still one of the original renderings a friend of mine did with Shelco hahaha. Its still gonna be pretty modern but no way we have concourse now thats what blew it out of budget.
Last edited by smokeshow on Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:07 am

The Physical Plant is currently fitting a shipping container to be a temp ticket office this season at KBS. Also, they saved the scoreboard that was mounted on Owens. I've seen it on a 10-ish foot stand right behind the north end zone a little bit on the APP side.

Foot traffic going into KBS (and freshmen move-in weekend) is going to be a logistical nightmare this season. It's already a nightmare driving on that side of campus. Heck, the entrance to the former Stadium Lot is one way and has temp traffic lights.

If you haven't seen KBS/West Campus since last December, it's jarring how different it is now.

BooneKarate

Unread post by BooneKarate » Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:53 am

Just imagine where we could be on this project if admin had actually had everything together and started the construction "right after the last home game" instead of having to wait until February-ish.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:15 pm

A lot of moving parts , too many to go into , count me out of negative chatter.

SayYesToTheRock

Unread post by SayYesToTheRock » Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:29 pm

I don't think anyone has a problem with the project taking a while due to moving parts.

I, for one, would just prefer the administration to be more realistic in setting timetables than to just throw stuff out like "we start immediately after the last home game" with no basis in reality.

Set reasonable expectations, get reasonable reactions.

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:04 pm

BooneKarate wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:53 am
Just imagine where we could be on this project if admin had actually had everything together and started the construction "right after the last home game" instead of having to wait until February-ish.
The state requires a certain percentage of the funding to be in-hand before many wheels can be put into motion. Sometimes pledges don't arrive when expected. With $$$$$ in hand, the Athletic Department is totally dependent on the University Office of Planning, Design and Construction to "direct the orchestra."

Beyond that, I refer you to Stonewall's very astute comment about "many moving parts." Just one wrench in the works can take out the most finely-tuned BMW. Simultaneous state and PPP projects under way in such a small tract of property have to make up the most intense, intricate and convoluted construction portfolio ever attempted on our campus.

"Dear Lord, please send us an abundance of patience. But hurry!" [My first secretary did this in a framed cross-stitch as a gift for me several decades ago. It now hangs in a prominent location at home. l got the message, but I still look at it frequently as a reminder.]
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

BTK2000

Unread post by BTK2000 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:15 pm

Anybody know where the track team is competing next season?

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:47 pm

BTK2000 wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:15 pm
Not a single outdoor track meet in Boone this past season. I would expect a similar schedule this coming year.
Twitter: @brosef_yosef

BooneKarate

Unread post by BooneKarate » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:14 am

asu66 wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:04 pm
BooneKarate wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:53 am
The state requires a certain percentage of the funding to be in-hand before many wheels can be put into motion. Sometimes pledges don't arrive when expected. With $$$$$ in hand, the Athletic Department is totally dependent on the University Office of Planning, Design and Construction to "direct the orchestra."

Beyond that, I refer you to Stonewall's very astute comment about "many moving parts." Just one wrench in the works can take out the most finely-tuned BMW. Simultaneous state and PPP projects under way in such a small tract of property have to make up the most intense, intricate and convoluted construction portfolio ever attempted on our campus.

"Dear Lord, please send us an abundance of patience. But hurry!" [My first secretary did this in a framed cross-stitch as a gift for me several decades ago. It now hangs in a prominent location at home. l got the message, but I still look at it frequently as a reminder.]
I don't disagree with you, and I understand how many moving pieces are involved and a base level knowledge of the planning process from the state side of things. However. If we weren't for sure, why were the admins who were in place at the time (much of which is gone from the fundraising/development staff now) making hard and fast factual statements about it? Why weren't they saying "it's a process, but here's what we are hoping for". When I got the factual statement multiple times, I thought they had everything together and in-line. Just waiting on the boys to step off the field (essentially). Clearly that wasn't the case though. If we know it's a process, surely they did too...

Just feel like I was fed unrealistic factual statements by the admin at this point in time.

tclayton

Unread post by tclayton » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:52 am

We’re getting to see in real time the difference between state construction and the private partnership. Request for bids for the first bid package weren’t released until December with a bid opening on 12/19. Their wasn’t enough bidders to open so it was re advertised and a new bid date of 1/10. This is usually done a week later but holidays messed that up. Contracts weren’t issued by the state until March. The second bid package for foundation and steel weren’t bid until late May. Work should be starting on that soon.

appgrouch
Location: In my seat, waiting for people to shut up and play.

Unread post by appgrouch » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:16 am

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:47 pm
BTK2000 wrote:
Not a single outdoor track meet in Boone this past season. I would expect a similar schedule this coming year.
As of right now, the team will not have a full practice or competition until 2021 at the earliest.

The original plan was to work on the track first, then tennis and then softball. The track because of NEZP, then Tennis for addition tower parking for Athletics and $$$$$$$$$$$$ Yosef, and then the softball to expand Sofield. Then sometime around April, someone came up with funds/donation to get started on Sofield, so Softball, who currently has a field, jumped to the top of the list. The track will happen:
Katers said the tennis and track and field facilities will be built as part of phase two “when funding allows.”
Last edited by appgrouch on Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
That's what I do. I gripe and I know things.

appgrouch
Location: In my seat, waiting for people to shut up and play.

Unread post by appgrouch » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:23 am

One thing to note on the budget issue, there has still been no announcement of the "Tenant" that will be leasing the Clinic area. It may be that the original plans for who that would be fell through and that they are still trying to get something worked out and in writing.
That's what I do. I gripe and I know things.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:21 pm

appgrouch wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:16 am
BTK2000 wrote:
As of right now, the team will not have a full practice or competition until 2021 at the earliest.

The original plan was to work on the track first, then tennis and then softball. The track because of NEZP, then Tennis for addition tower parking for Athletics and $$$$$$$$$$$$ Yosef, and then the softball to expand Sofield. Then sometime around April, someone came up with funds/donation to get started on Sofield, so Softball, who currently has a field, jumped to the top of the list. The track will happen:
Katers said the tennis and track and field facilities will be built as part of phase two “when funding allows.”
The track will happen when?
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

BTK2000

Unread post by BTK2000 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:54 pm

NewApp wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:21 pm
appgrouch wrote:
BTK2000 wrote:

I think the track would look great with the new endzone facility in the background. Putting the track in the stadium would really highlight that program at Appalachian

beav910

Unread post by beav910 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:26 pm

BTK2000 wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:54 pm
NewApp wrote:
appgrouch wrote:
BTK2000 wrote:

I think the track would look great with the new endzone facility in the background. Putting the track in the stadium would really highlight that program at Appalachian
Appalachian State Alumnus :: Graphic Designer

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:27 pm

BTK2000 wrote:
NewApp wrote:
appgrouch wrote:
BTK2000 wrote:

Is this the “Unpopular Appalachian Opinions” thread?
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:49 pm

I just think it is absurd and evidence of poor planning to tear up the track without one already being built. If that is progress, someone needs his/her head examined. It used to be one of our more successful programs.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

Apptiger

Unread post by Apptiger » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:09 pm

NewApp wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:49 pm
I just think it is absurd and evidence of poor planning to tear up the track without one already being built. If that is progress, someone needs his/her head examined. It used to be one of our more successful programs.
This.....can't believe it.

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:23 pm

Apptiger wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:09 pm
NewApp wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:49 pm
This.....can't believe it.
$$$$$$
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:43 pm

BTK2000 wrote:
NewApp wrote:
appgrouch wrote:
BTK2000 wrote:

Glad to see I'm not the only one who heard this ground breaking news. This part of the project is towards the end, right before the addition of soccer and field hockey lines. Letterhead style endzones, if the budget permits. Also, the band will be on the hill in efforts to project the noise to the new facility.
Twitter: @brosef_yosef

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”