Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Stadium parking deck

Rekdiver
School: Appalachian State

Re: Stadium parking deck

Unread post by Rekdiver » Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:51 am

Rick83 wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:49 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:42 pm
Rick83 wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:18 pm
GregPercussion wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:01 pm
Mjohn1988 wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:48 pm
I don’t think App is having problems attracting students. Just my opinion but I think App should cap the student population and save what’s left of the “small town” feel that Boone still has. Bigger isn’t always better and being exclusive can really drive demand for the existing spots.
The University is committed to consistent "slow and steady growth". They want our total students to grow each year. More students = more money. They don't wanna double the student population but we're closing in on 20,000 in the next few years and it's a great thing for App. The magic on the mountain will still be there.
A professor last year told us that the state legislature wanted App to get to 20,000 students so that's the goal they've been working towards.
Just curious, but what is the need to get to 20K? Is there some federal funding or something that calls for us to get to a certain number of college students in the state?
The professor didn't elaborate on the why but she was voicing a mild concern that she didn't want the quality of accepted students to go down with the push to get bigger.
YOu mean like UNCC?

AppDawg

Unread post by AppDawg » Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:18 am

The Rock wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:40 am
AppDawg wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:09 pm
The Rock wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:18 pm
appgrouch wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:25 am
NewApp wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:56 am

Just in time to replace or spend huge funds on renovation. Just so the PTBs are aware and prepared for that a decade down the road.
the Project must be in good and operable condition, subject to the age and reasonable wear and tear of the buildings.

The buildings will be upkept and maintained. Plus newer construction is about 150% easier to reno and upgrade that the 60's-70's era of the current dorms.
Good and operable is pretty vague. What is good? Good for a 30 year old building? See comments above on the condition of other buildings of similar age.
Operable? Can you walk in it? Yup, it’s operable.

Not trying to be all gloom and doom as it seems, but just because you don’t take the low bidder doesn’t mean you automatically get a better product. Those private developers are out to maximize profits too.
I’m sure it will all be fine, I am just nervous that a fall Saturday in Boone may not be as magical as it has been, and the lack of consideration for the overall game day experience
I think the better way to look at it is the cost to bring Bowie, Eggers, etc up to current construction code is more costly than building new from the ground up.

The way the code works, if you so much as “touch” it, it must adhere to 2019 standards.

What code is this?
NC has an existing building code that allows you to not bring everything in compliance when renovating. There are formulas and calculations and if the results are less than 1, you do not have to bring it into compliance.
Is there some different standard for dorms?
I know for a fact there are several businesses (bars) in downtown Boone that have renovated and upgraded their buildings and not had to add sprinklers as current code requires, much to the dismay of the fire dept, by using the existing building code
I honestly don’t know & did not stay at a holiday inn express last night either...

A couple years ago my wife & I explored purchasing and renovating a late 1800’s farmhouse. We had 2 contractors give us estimates on what it would take to bring back to life. Both shared with us what I relayed above. We ultimately determined the location of the house was not a good fit for us, so I didn’t do much more research on the matter.

appgrouch
Location: In my seat, waiting for people to shut up and play.

Unread post by appgrouch » Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:31 am

The Rock wrote:
What code is this?
NC has an existing building code that allows you to not bring everything in compliance when renovating. There are formulas and calculations and if the results are less than 1, you do not have to bring it into compliance.
I know for a fact there are several businesses (bars) in downtown Boone that have renovated and upgraded their buildings and not had to add sprinklers as current code requires, much to the dismay of the fire dept, by using the existing building code
The renovations that are done to these dorms takes them back down to the "studs". All electrical, plumbing and HVAC are upgraded/replaced. The entire IT infrastructure of need to be redone since going VOIP/PPOE.

That and it is a public housing building and over 5 stories. This brings a lot of regulations that bars and private houses do not have to follow.
That's what I do. I gripe and I know things.

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:50 am

AppDawg wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:18 am
The Rock wrote:
AppDawg wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:09 pm
The Rock wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:18 pm
appgrouch wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:25 am

the Project must be in good and operable condition, subject to the age and reasonable wear and tear of the buildings.

The buildings will be upkept and maintained. Plus newer construction is about 150% easier to reno and upgrade that the 60's-70's era of the current dorms.
Good and operable is pretty vague. What is good? Good for a 30 year old building? See comments above on the condition of other buildings of similar age.
Operable? Can you walk in it? Yup, it’s operable.

Not trying to be all gloom and doom as it seems, but just because you don’t take the low bidder doesn’t mean you automatically get a better product. Those private developers are out to maximize profits too.
I’m sure it will all be fine, I am just nervous that a fall Saturday in Boone may not be as magical as it has been, and the lack of consideration for the overall game day experience
I think the better way to look at it is the cost to bring Bowie, Eggers, etc up to current construction code is more costly than building new from the ground up.

The way the code works, if you so much as “touch” it, it must adhere to 2019 standards.

What code is this?
I honestly don’t know & did not stay at a holiday inn express last night either...

A couple years ago my wife & I explored purchasing and renovating a late 1800’s farmhouse. We had 2 contractors give us estimates on what it would take to bring back to life. Both shared with us what I relayed above. We ultimately determined the location of the house was not a good fit for us, so I didn’t do much more research on the matter.
There is a difference between residential and commercial construction requirements. That is the difference there.

BTK2000

Unread post by BTK2000 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:01 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Rick83 wrote:
GregPercussion wrote:
Mjohn1988 wrote:
I don’t think App is having problems attracting students. Just my opinion but I think App should cap the student population and save what’s left of the “small town” feel that Boone still has. Bigger isn’t always better and being exclusive can really drive demand for the existing spots.
The University is committed to consistent "slow and steady growth". They want our total students to grow each year. More students = more money. They don't wanna double the student population but we're closing in on 20,000 in the next few years and it's a great thing for App. The magic on the mountain will still be there.
A professor last year told us that the state legislature wanted App to get to 20,000 students so that's the goal they've been working towards.
Just curious, but what is the need to get to 20K? Is there some federal funding or something that calls for us to get to a certain number of college students in the state?
Remember all those revenue bonds that are being issued to cover the new construction? Where do you think that money is coming from?

More students = more revenue

This is what happens when the state legislature short changes the unc system

appgrouch
Location: In my seat, waiting for people to shut up and play.

Unread post by appgrouch » Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:22 pm

BTK2000 wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:01 am
AppSt94 wrote:
Rick83 wrote:
GregPercussion wrote:
Mjohn1988 wrote:
Remember all those revenue bonds that are being issued to cover the new construction? Where do you think that money is coming from?

More students = more revenue

This is what happens when the state legislature short changes the unc system
Biggest issue, StateLeg passed a bill years ago that every state school has to increase enrollment EVERY year regardless of means, resources, or ability (the school, not the students). 20,000 most likely comes from the 2025 Master Planning.
That's what I do. I gripe and I know things.

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:30 pm

2018-19 total enrollment was 18,811 (undergrad + grad). The total enrollment for 2019-20 should push 19,300. That 20,000 is well under five years away.
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:57 pm

appgrouch wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:31 am
The Rock wrote:
What code is this?
The renovations that are done to these dorms takes them back down to the "studs". All electrical, plumbing and HVAC are upgraded/replaced. The entire IT infrastructure of need to be redone since going VOIP/PPOE.

That and it is a public housing building and over 5 stories. This brings a lot of regulations that bars and private houses do not have to follow.
If I recall correctly from my days in Doughton and other dorms, they were all cinderblock walls, which wouldn't have studs. yes, there would be a lot of wiring for cables to meet current IT needs, but shouldn't be that much demo to do. HVAC was more like WINDOW and occasional heat when I was at APP.

If it is all block and concrete as i recall, that would be type I construction. A dorm is considered an R2 occupancy, which the only additional thing that going over 4 stories requires is a NFPA-13 sprinkler system, which all dorms that I remember being in already had. Buildings like Gardner and Coltrane that are 75' and over may be more difficult if they had not been build to high rise standards previously and had to be updated to that.
I don't know the details of what the other renovations entailed, but being familiar with the building industry, of course it is easier to build a new structure than renovate, but there are benefits to be had by renovating, which is why many people choose to do so.
It boils down to App's long term vision and plan for the new layout of this area of campus, which is fine, but I really don't think it would be impossible or even improbable to renovate in place as had been done.

And actually, bars have some of the most restrictive standards of anything in the building code except maybe hazardous materials. Assembly occupancies where there are large numbers of people and the potential of alcohol have some the most astringent guidelines

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:14 pm

New announced lots from the Yosef Club in case your emails go to spam:

Dear Yosef Club members:

With the start of another Appalachian State football season about one month away, we are excited to unveil several new and updated game day parking lots for the 2019 season. Below, you will find an updated parking map with lot locations and the official lot names. We thank you for all of your patience during this time of progress and appreciate your continued support as we look forward to an incredible game day atmosphere this fall.

The new or updated lots for 2019 are:

· Top of the Rock: This NEW lot is located behind the Mark E. Ricks Athletics Complex, adjacent to the current Champions Lot (previous site of the Appalachian tennis courts). Donors assigned to Top of the Rockshould utilize Stadium Drive, turning onto Jack Branch Drive and following the road around the stadium, past the Sofield Indoor Practice Facility and beyond the Champions Lot. Top of the Rock is the final parking area on Jack Branch Drive behind the Mark E. Ricks Athletics Complex and will be clearly marked for your convenience. You will exit postgame utilizing the same route.

· Champions Lot: This lot remains located directly behind the Mark E. Ricks Athletics Complex. Donors assigned to the Champions Lotshould utilize Stadium Drive, turning onto Jack Branch Drive and following the road around the stadium, past the Sofield Indoor Practice Facility. Champions Lotwill be the next lot on the right and will be clearly marked for your convenience. You will exit postgame utilizing the same route.

· Softball Lot: This NEW lot is located between the Sofield Indoor Practice Facility and Sywassink/Lloyd Family Softball Stadium. Donors assigned to Softball Lotshould utilize Stadium Drive, turning onto Jack Branch Drive and following the road around the stadium. Take an immediate right after passing the plaza for the Sywassink/Lloyd Family Softball Stadium but before reaching the Sofield Indoor Practice Facility. The lot will be clearly marked for your convenience. You will exit postgame utilizing the same route.

· Mountaineer Lot: This NEW lot is located adjacent to Bowie Hall & Eggers Hall, close to Kidd Brewer Stadium. The Mountaineer Lotis comprised of the former Bowie/Eggers parking lot and the top of the new Stadium Deck that’s flush with the Bowie/Eggers lot. Donors assigned to the Mountaineer Lotshould utilize Stadium Drive, turning onto Jack Branch Drive and taking an immediate right after Bowie Hall. The lot will be clearly marked for your convenience and have two points of exit postgame. You may exit postgame utilizing the same route or by proceeding down through the levels of the Stadium Deckto the new exit road next to the Schaefer Center. The new exit road will provide one-way access to Rivers Street.

· Stadium Deck: This NEW lot is located between Eggers Hall & Frank Hall. Donors assigned to the Stadium Deckshould utilize Stadium Drive, turning onto Jack Branch Drive and taking an immediate right before (so a new path will open on that side of Bowie?) Bowie Hall. The lot will be clearly marked for your convenience, and have two points of exit postgame. You may exit postgame utilizing the same route or by proceeding down through the levels of the Stadium Deckto the new exit road next to the Schaefer Center. The new exit road will provide one-way access to Rivers Street.

· Peacock Lot: Formerly named the “Raley Lot,” this game day lot is now officially named Peacock Lot.

We look forward to seeing you all at The Rock on Aug. 31 as we kick off the 2019 season of Mountaineer Football!

Go App State!

App State Athletics

ASU3432Mi

Unread post by ASU3432Mi » Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:24 pm

Other than Peacock, will the other "new" lots including the parking deck accommodate the same # of parking spaces as the old stadium lot?

AppDawg

Unread post by AppDawg » Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:47 pm

ASU3432Mi wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:24 pm
Other than Peacock, will the other "new" lots including the parking deck accommodate the same # of parking spaces as the old stadium lot?
I believe there will be more. If not this season, definitely by the time all construction is finished.

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:05 pm

New parking yes, but most of the deck won't be tailgate friendly.

DaphneUrquhart

Unread post by DaphneUrquhart » Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:17 pm

ASU3432Mi wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:24 pm
Yes.

When all is said and done (2022-3), we'll have substantially more parking than we have now, and we won't have the asphalt mass of the stadium lot. That's going to be excellent for tailgating when we have multiple 100 - 250 spot lots rather than one lot with 575 - 600 spots.
If serving is beneath you, then leading is beyond you.

#GiveYosef

biggie
Site Admin

Unread post by biggie » Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:49 am

T-Dog wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:05 pm
I have never noticed since I've not tailgated in any of the parking decks, but do any of them have bathrooms in each level? I remember when tailgating at the deck at UNCC last year that was horrible to be on the top level of the deck an bathrooms were 200 yds away from the deck.

kornegaylw

Unread post by kornegaylw » Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:32 pm

biggie wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:49 am
T-Dog wrote:
I have never noticed since I've not tailgated in any of the parking decks, but do any of them have bathrooms in each level? I remember when tailgating at the deck at UNCC last year that was horrible to be on the top level of the deck an bathrooms were 200 yds away from the deck.
Unless things have changed the Rivers St deck (great place to tailgate btw) had porta-johns outside. There weren't many though.

biggie
Site Admin

Unread post by biggie » Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:27 pm

Bathrooms should be in the parking decks if we want to price ourselves in good tailgating. Clearly for parking more decks will eventually be needed.

huskie3

Unread post by huskie3 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:17 pm

I was up today to look around, things are shaping up. One bit of advice, arrive early and leave late, ingress and egress are going to be a "b" around the stadium.
Bring Your A Game!

DaphneUrquhart

Unread post by DaphneUrquhart » Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:34 pm

huskie3 wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:17 pm
I was up today to look around, things are shaping up. One bit of advice, arrive early and leave late, ingress and egress are going to be a "b" around the stadium.
Just gives us more time to enjoy our App family!
If serving is beneath you, then leading is beyond you.

#GiveYosef

canes_mj

Unread post by canes_mj » Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:53 am

biggie wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:49 am
T-Dog wrote:
There may be some decks that have them, but in my experience I've never seen bathrooms in any parking deck anywhere. For us, Rivers St has port-a-johns near, or if you're on the level of the skywalk can go across to the cafeteria. Library Deck has the library and student union right there.

sixtoes9134

Unread post by sixtoes9134 » Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:29 am

Library deck needs porta johns. Despite the Library and Book Store being close, it's still a pain to have to go over there. All parking decks should at least have 3-4 of them during football season.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”