Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

LSU Athletics and their Library

McLeansvilleAppFan
School: Appalachian State

LSU Athletics and their Library

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:25 pm

This is the sort of misplaced priorities I do not want to see occur at App State. Shutting down the university for an entire day is a slippery slope, and I am against it.

https://www.chronicle.com/article/LSU-J ... IfEmih5OtU
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

Appstate71192

Re: LSU Athletics and their Library

Unread post by Appstate71192 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:49 pm

Was done mostly through private donations. I don’t see a problem with this as long as public money isn’t funding it.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:02 pm

Where can I order the latest version of jump to conclusions mat?

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:31 pm

I do believe the priorities of the school should be on academics and as much as I love college sports, they shouldn't drive the ship. That being said, they do provide value and can't be totally ignored either. In the case of LSU, I can't read the article since I'm not a subscriber, but I would assume the funding for these two projects is totally separate. I seriously doubt the university budget was used to build or renovate the football facility. I have to think the athletic budget at LSU is self sustaining, so I doubt there was ever an "either/or" decision between these two priorities.

appst89
Site Admin

Unread post by appst89 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:50 pm

LSU football gives money to the university every year as well as financially supporting several Olympic sports.

Now, maybe we could argue that people should donate to a library fund of some sort, but to argue that money LSU football spent came at the expense of the library is not accurate.

appgrouch
Location: In my seat, waiting for people to shut up and play.

Unread post by appgrouch » Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:27 pm

I think the point is that where we do not have donors that can pay anywhere near the costs of the projects that we have had, most of the debt has been loaded onto the students and causes less money to be available for academic projects. There are several projects that have been put off on campus due to the amount of debt we are holding, a good portion of which is Athletic Debt.
That's what I do. I gripe and I know things.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:07 pm

A short sided story to stir up emotions through inaccurate context. It was probably written by someone that was picked last in grade school kickball games. The locker rooms were paid for by private money so I have no problem with it. The school has insurance and I am sure that they have flood insurance so why hasn't the policy kicked in to fix the damage?

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:12 am

The library at LSU might or might not have had flood insurance. Flood insurance is only required if the property is in a flood zone and even then only if the property is mortgaged. Hurricanes often impact properties that are not in those zones and I doubt the LSU library was mortgaged. I have no specific information about the LSU situation but, given it still isn't fixed, I think it's safe to assume it wasn't covered by flood insurance.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:41 pm

Yosef84 wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:12 am
The library at LSU might or might not have had flood insurance. Flood insurance is only required if the property is in a flood zone and even then only if the property is mortgaged. Hurricanes often impact properties that are not in those zones and I doubt the LSU library was mortgaged. I have no specific information about the LSU situation but, given it still isn't fixed, I think it's safe to assume it wasn't covered by flood insurance.
Are you freely assuming that this picture was just taken of the library?

BayouApp

Unread post by BayouApp » Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:19 pm

The comments are correct about the funds all coming from the Tiger Athletic Foundation. And it funds the other sports that have shortfalls with the exceptions of baseball and basketball (self-sufficient). Here are some quotes from The Advocate (Baton Rouge's newspaper):

"The money came from the Tiger Athletic Foundation, which is a fund raising arm of the athletic department, and apparently a lot more cool vehicle for folks to donate large sums of money to than something like academics." Another article in The Advocate referenced the Athletic Department and the "$7 million-plus transfers to LSU’s academic coffers." In other words, the football revenue subsidizes most other sports and also provides funds for academics.

I am an Appalachian graduate, but I live and work in Baton Rouge now. My son and daughter graduated from LSU but they are still ASU fans too.

App91

Unread post by App91 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:08 pm

BayouApp wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:19 pm
The comments are correct about the funds all coming from the Tiger Athletic Foundation. And it funds the other sports that have shortfalls with the exceptions of baseball and basketball (self-sufficient). Here are some quotes from The Advocate (Baton Rouge's newspaper):

"The money came from the Tiger Athletic Foundation, which is a fund raising arm of the athletic department, and apparently a lot more cool vehicle for folks to donate large sums of money to than something like academics." Another article in The Advocate referenced the Athletic Department and the "$7 million-plus transfers to LSU’s academic coffers." In other words, the football revenue subsidizes most other sports and also provides funds for academics.

I am an Appalachian graduate, but I live and work in Baton Rouge now. My son and daughter graduated from LSU but they are still ASU fans too.
Well... See... Statements about Athletics funding academics do not fit the academia narrative, don't help sell newspapers and do not spark outrage so i doubt you would see that in a breathless article like this.

Apptiger

Unread post by Apptiger » Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:39 pm

BayouApp wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:19 pm

You beat me there. TAF funds a lot of stuff at the school that is not related to football. Non revenue sports and other scholarships among them. App grad with one kid that is an LSU Grad and one a Florida Grad. Lot of money floating around at those schools. The Gator Boosters club gave my son a non-atheltic scholarship. Didn't pay for four years but it helped at lot. I was a Gator hater until the day Spurrier handed my son a check. Damn right I was jealous and want that for APP.

By the way, the basement of the library gets some water when the rivers floods and rains are high. It was flooded in 1927. The school sits literally on the banks of the Mississippi. It floods, the school floods. Most often wet is the Vet school and surrounding grounds. They are currently raising money for a new library.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:09 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:41 pm
Yosef84 wrote:
I'm not assuming anything. I think I stated pretty clearly in my first post that I had no information about the LSU situation. I was just responding to the comment that assumed they had flood insurance...which is not a valid assumption.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:09 pm

Yosef84 wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:09 am
AppSt94 wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:41 pm
Yosef84 wrote:
I'm not assuming anything. I think I stated pretty clearly in my first post that I had no information about the LSU situation. I was just responding to the comment that assumed they had flood insurance...which is not a valid assumption.
You’re right. My apologies. It was wrong of me to freely assume to think that a college, that sets on the banks of one of the largest rivers on the country would have flood insurance.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Other Schools' Athletics”