Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Official Fall Camp thread

Yosef84

Re: Official Fall Camp thread

Unread post by Yosef84 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:15 am

bigdaddyg wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:35 pm
If we are going to a faster up tempo offense do we really want 6’5” 300 lb guys up front? Can “larger” linemen keep up the pace? Granted we need larger than 270 lb freshmen but to completely dismiss the possibility that a freshman just might be ready to provide some depth is strange thinking.
I would be interested in hearing what Coach Clark says on that subject, but in my opinion the answer is yes. We need our OL to be at, or at least close to 300 lbs. Yes, we can make do with slightly smaller but at 6'5", 300 lbs can still be plenty athletic and we still need to be able to line up and push a Defense back a couple of yards when necessary for short yardage. The standards have increased these days and 300 pounders no longer have that big belly that was common in the 70's or 80's. We don't necessarily have to have guys who are a lot bigger like those P5 programs who average 330 across the line.

Depth is a concern at OL this year now that we've had two of them with medical exclusions. Hopefully some of those young guys step up. Without solid OL play, all those weapons we have could wind up looking pretty average....but I don't believe that's going to happen.

EastHallApp
School: Appalachian State

Unread post by EastHallApp » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:38 am

Yosef84 wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:15 am
bigdaddyg wrote:
If we are going to a faster up tempo offense do we really want 6’5” 300 lb guys up front? Can “larger” linemen keep up the pace? Granted we need larger than 270 lb freshmen but to completely dismiss the possibility that a freshman just might be ready to provide some depth is strange thinking.
I would be interested in hearing what Coach Clark says on that subject, but in my opinion the answer is yes. We need our OL to be at, or at least close to 300 lbs. Yes, we can make do with slightly smaller but at 6'5", 300 lbs can still be plenty athletic and we still need to be able to line up and push a Defense back a couple of yards when necessary for short yardage. The standards have increased these days and 300 pounders no longer have that big belly that was common in the 70's or 80's. We don't necessarily have to have guys who are a lot bigger like those P5 programs who average 330 across the line.

Depth is a concern at OL this year now that we've had two of them with medical exclusions. Hopefully some of those young guys step up. Without solid OL play, all those weapons we have could wind up looking pretty average....but I don't believe that's going to happen.
Good points. I'd say just look who Clark is recruiting: First OL commit this year is 6'3", 315. (A little hefty for our profile actually.) Last year's signees (current freshmen) all at least 6'4" and range from 260 to 285. You don't need as much length for the interior spots (Hannon again is an outlier here for being particularly undersized), but at tackle we're looking for kids in that 6'5" range who we can bulk up to around 300.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:43 am

Rekdiver wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:55 am
ericsaid wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:06 am
Rekdiver wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:36 am
bigdaddyg wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:28 am
I read posts of folks worried to death about depth at certain positions- namely the Oline. There is a tendency to forget that we have younger guys getting bigger and stronger by the day who will push for playing time.
Depth is the issue....Finding road graders is tough.
Line will need more balanced skills than road grading in this offense.
Ericsaid sometimes you just miss the point..roadgraders, hog mollies big uglies all euphemisms for OL and we are dangerously short in the depth dept
I understand the point. But road graders as a euphemism would imply a ground based attack. Hog mollies indicates a balanced, more pro style, attack. There is a nuance to euphemisms that, Rekdiver, sometimes you just miss.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:45 am

Yosef84 wrote:
bigdaddyg wrote:

The question I have is that based on App's recruitment of the typical 265 to 275 lb senior in High School for offensive line, who is to say that they lose a step when bulking up to 300 lbs? It isn't like App is recruiting like MAC schools and pulling straight 6'5 300 lb guys out of High School.

It seems that the program has preferred the more athletic type with a frame that good weight can be added to without sacrificing athleticism (see Victor Johnson, Parker Collins, Colby Gossett).

appst89
Site Admin

Unread post by appst89 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:52 am

Yosef84 wrote:
bigdaddyg wrote:

Let me begin by saying that I am NOT suggesting that we are doing anything like this, but there was a lengthy discussion on ESPNU radio the other day about a fairly local SEC P5 team which has had a very large number of offensive linemen; I believe it was eight since the end of last season; suddenly develop career-ending medical problems. Andy Staples, one of the hosts, said it was a move by the coaching staff to free up scholarships for transfers or incoming freshmen who better fit their mold. He said he saw it happen while he was a walk-on at Florida and he said it knows it still happens on a fairly regular basis. Apparently, they keep their scholarships, if they want to stay at that school, but they don't count against the 85 limit if they are for medical reasons.

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:00 am

Whatever the formula has been for recruiting O linemen I say we stick with it. We’ve had a crazy number of our guys get a shot at making an NFL team. Not all of them have made the 52 man rosters but just getting a free agent offer and a chance to make an NFL team says your one heck of an athlete. I think at one point in time we had one entire O line recutting class in the NFL. Again, not all of them made the final roster but to think that we had an entire recruiting class that had a legit shot at the NFL is crazy.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:05 am

Mjohn1988 wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:00 am
Whatever the formula has been for recruiting O linemen I say we stick with it. We’ve had a crazy number of our guys get a shot at making an NFL team. Not all of them have made the 52 man rosters but just getting a free agent offer and a chance to make an NFL team says your one heck of an athlete. I think at one point in time we had one entire O line recutting class in the NFL. Again, not all of them made the final roster but to think that we had an entire recruiting class that had a legit shot at the NFL is crazy.
...and had high calibre coaching to boot. :!:
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:27 am

appst89 wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:52 am
Yosef84 wrote:
bigdaddyg wrote:

Let me begin by saying that I am NOT suggesting that we are doing anything like this, but there was a lengthy discussion on ESPNU radio the other day about a fairly local SEC P5 team which has had a very large number of offensive linemen; I believe it was eight since the end of last season; suddenly develop career-ending medical problems. Andy Staples, one of the hosts, said it was a move by the coaching staff to free up scholarships for transfers or incoming freshmen who better fit their mold. He said he saw it happen while he was a walk-on at Florida and he said it knows it still happens on a fairly regular basis. Apparently, they keep their scholarships, if they want to stay at that school, but they don't count against the 85 limit if they are for medical reasons.
I mean, I think that does happen all around, to some extent. I don't think we're fabricating injuries or anything. But a career-ending injury probably isn't always a black-and-white thing. It doesn't have to be a doctor saying "if you play again, you'll die" or something. A guy may have just had enough of rehab. Or maybe he determines that the risk of further injury isn't worth it if he's been unable to rise up the depth chart.

I don't think we've had an inordinate number of medical hardships, though. And I know at least one of the two young OL who recently "retired" was really highly regarded by the staff.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:34 am

ericsaid wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:43 am
Rekdiver wrote:
ericsaid wrote:
Rekdiver wrote:
bigdaddyg wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:28 am
I read posts of folks worried to death about depth at certain positions- namely the Oline. There is a tendency to forget that we have younger guys getting bigger and stronger by the day who will push for playing time.
Ericsaid sometimes you just miss the point..roadgraders, hog mollies big uglies all euphemisms for OL and we are dangerously short in the depth dept
I understand the point. But road graders as a euphemism would imply a ground based attack. Hog mollies indicates a balanced, more pro style, attack. There is a nuance to euphemisms that, Rekdiver, sometimes you just miss.
Oh Eric....take your underwear off your head!!!

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:15 pm

Rekdiver wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:34 am
ericsaid wrote:
Rekdiver wrote:
ericsaid wrote:
Rekdiver wrote:

Now that I know the proper terminology, I’m hoping for road graders.

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:54 pm

Personally, I think we should go after the Road Mollies.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:09 pm

The Rock wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:54 pm
Already have them....The Roller Derby ladies

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:27 pm

Rekdiver wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:09 pm
The Rock wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:54 pm
Already have them....The Roller Derby ladies
I thought they were the Hog Graders??

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:20 pm

Might just be me but my take on the “big” G5 type offensive lineman is, more often than not, that most of them are just fat generally immobile dudes. Most of the 6’5” 300 lb really athletic and mobile guys are on the P5’s. Obviously there are exceptions and nobody really knows how that 275 lb freshman will develop. I fully believe that we turn out some stellar defensive linemen but several of them are basically undersized and fly right past most of our G5 opposition. It’s got to be tough getting that perfect combination.

AppfaninCAALand

Unread post by AppfaninCAALand » Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:48 pm

bigdaddyg wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:20 pm
Might just be me but my take on the “big” G5 type offensive lineman is, more often than not, that most of them are just fat generally immobile dudes.Most of the 6’5” 300 lb really athletic and mobile guys are on the P5’s. Obviously there are exceptions and nobody really knows how that 275 lb freshman will develop. I fully believe that we turn out some stellar defensive linemen but several of them are basically undersized and fly right past most of our G5 opposition. It’s got to be tough getting that perfect combination.
I don't know why, but the bolded above has always been my perception of Ga Southern OL - really big lard lads.

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:31 pm

App Vision Special Teams position report. Chandler sporting a solid beard.
https://appstatesports.com/news/2019/8/ ... teams.aspx
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:56 am

Rekdiver wrote:
ericsaid wrote:
Rekdiver wrote:
ericsaid wrote:
Rekdiver wrote:

Geez, Rek, I had the impression I was the only one you loved insulting. ;)
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:37 pm

Rekdiver wrote:
ericsaid wrote:
Rekdiver wrote:
ericsaid wrote:
Rekdiver wrote:

Plot twist...I don't own underwear :lol:

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:21 pm

ericsaid wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:37 pm
Rekdiver wrote:
ericsaid wrote:
Rekdiver wrote:
ericsaid wrote:

WAY TOO MUCH INFORMATION!
Now I'm going to have to slaughter a pig to get that out of my head!

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:14 pm

Yosef84 wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:21 pm
ericsaid wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:37 pm
Rekdiver wrote:
ericsaid wrote:
Rekdiver wrote:

WAY TOO MUCH INFORMATION!
Now I'm going to have to slaughter a pig to get that out of my head!
Try deer and get some venison ready for ETSU. Not a common tailgating delicacy but would be adequate and fitting for the mountains none the less.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”