Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Improving a tradition

Wally
School: Appalachian State

Re: Improving a tradition

Unread post by Wally » Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:02 am

Mjohn1988 wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:10 am
From what I’ve observed the “hype” music for the most part takes the fans out of the game. Yes it gets some of the students up and dancing but for the most part while it’s playing the majority of the fans are sitting on their hands. I’m not saying the PA should never be used but not in between every down.
I really dislike the PA music between plays. Having to cut the track right before the snap sounds awkward and it is always at a weird place in the song. On Defense, in between plays is when the fans and the band should really shine. Play the PA music between series or during commercials or whatever, but not between plays... oh, and Bugler's Dream for EVERY kickoff, with everyone in the stands pointing and screaming...

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:45 pm

Wally wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:02 am
Mjohn1988 wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:10 am
From what I’ve observed the “hype” music for the most part takes the fans out of the game. Yes it gets some of the students up and dancing but for the most part while it’s playing the majority of the fans are sitting on their hands. I’m not saying the PA should never be used but not in between every down.
I really dislike the PA music between plays. Having to cut the track right before the snap sounds awkward and it is always at a weird place in the song. On Defense, in between plays is when the fans and the band should really shine. Play the PA music between series or during commercials or whatever, but not between plays... oh, and Bugler's Dream for EVERY kickoff, with everyone in the stands pointing and screaming...
Every App St. kickoff.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:25 pm

Not sure what the changes are but Doug did respond to my email and said to expect some changes this year. He indicated that they had been working with “Eric Church, Luke Combs, etc”.

BooneKarate

Unread post by BooneKarate » Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:09 am

Mjohn1988 wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:12 am
BooneKarate wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:11 am
GregPercussion wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:22 pm
Yosef84 wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:48 am
ASU-FTW wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:53 am

No offense to our band but the tunes they play are in need of an update. I highly doubt the players even know the songs they play anymore. Most are from 70s and 80s and they never get updated. Need some new material!
That doesn't really make them different from most of the marching bands in the country. Especially the music played in the stands is largely traditional pep music. A few new pieces get added occasionally. I'm not saying they shouldn't consider adding some but I like the traditional music during the game. (Queue the old man comments).
I'm with you, there are some tunes that make college football a unique thing and those will always be there. But adding a few here and there are expected. Our band isn't the most progressive out there, but hopefully the new director this year will really kick it into gear.
If the band learned the songs that the players liked, the fans over the age of 35 (most of us if I were to guess) probably still wouldn't know them. I think we just have to understand that we have to have a mix and play to the players a little heavier, especially if we are in a tight game (whenever that happens again).

At the end of the day, it's music. Regardless of who plays it, everyone has their own taste. The only way to get a true mix of music tastes without playing the same 15 songs from the band is to have someone sitting behind a computer with plenty of options. I'd say 65/35 music:band mix.

Also keep in mind the amount of time it takes to click a song vs. the amount of time to stand up, yell a song, count to 4 or 5 and then start playing. More dead air equals less energy on the field and in the stands.
BooneK, aren’t you the one who said we should just let the “experts” do their job?
I am indeed. Which is why I haven't sent this as an email to a Vice Chancellor/AD with my musical opinions...I'd also be willing to bet that the 65/35 mix that I've mentioned is fairly close to what was done last year. So I think the experts are doing their job.

So yes, let the experts do their job. Thanks for bringing that back up.

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:37 am

BooneKarate wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:09 am
Mjohn1988 wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:12 am
BooneKarate wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:11 am
GregPercussion wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:22 pm
Yosef84 wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:48 am

That doesn't really make them different from most of the marching bands in the country. Especially the music played in the stands is largely traditional pep music. A few new pieces get added occasionally. I'm not saying they shouldn't consider adding some but I like the traditional music during the game. (Queue the old man comments).
I'm with you, there are some tunes that make college football a unique thing and those will always be there. But adding a few here and there are expected. Our band isn't the most progressive out there, but hopefully the new director this year will really kick it into gear.
If the band learned the songs that the players liked, the fans over the age of 35 (most of us if I were to guess) probably still wouldn't know them. I think we just have to understand that we have to have a mix and play to the players a little heavier, especially if we are in a tight game (whenever that happens again).

At the end of the day, it's music. Regardless of who plays it, everyone has their own taste. The only way to get a true mix of music tastes without playing the same 15 songs from the band is to have someone sitting behind a computer with plenty of options. I'd say 65/35 music:band mix.

Also keep in mind the amount of time it takes to click a song vs. the amount of time to stand up, yell a song, count to 4 or 5 and then start playing. More dead air equals less energy on the field and in the stands.
BooneK, aren’t you the one who said we should just let the “experts” do their job?
I am indeed. Which is why I haven't sent this as an email to a Vice Chancellor/AD with my musical opinions...I'd also be willing to bet that the 65/35 mix that I've mentioned is fairly close to what was done last year. So I think the experts are doing their job.

So yes, let the experts do their job. Thanks for bringing that back up.
So can we at least get your permission to ask for cups with ice, or is it just going to be, buy the ticket, sit down, shut up and let the experts do their job?

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:17 am

It’s Groundhog Day!

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:51 am

How about the track, can we ask to have the track moved? I know I’m really pushing my luck but just one last thing, can we ask to lower the field so we can add seating?

GregPercussion

Unread post by GregPercussion » Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:08 am

Mjohn1988 wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:51 am
How about the track, can we ask to have the track moved? I know I’m really pushing my luck but just one last thing, can we ask to lower the field so we can add seating?
Track will be next year. Lowering the field... not anytime in the foreseeable future, according to Doug last time it was asked.

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:09 pm

GregPercussion wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:08 am
Mjohn1988 wrote:
Track will be next year. Lowering the field... not anytime in the foreseeable future, according to Doug last time it was asked.
Point is, according to BooneK we’re not suppose to ask about any of these things because we have “experts” who will handle all these things for us. I was just asking BooneK to grant us permission to ask. No swipe at Doug or the staff, I think their doing a great job.

Longrifle28

Unread post by Longrifle28 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:57 pm

Good God football please hurry up before we eat our own....
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"

BooneKarate

Unread post by BooneKarate » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:09 am

Mjohn1988 wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:09 pm
GregPercussion wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:08 am
Mjohn1988 wrote:
Point is, according to BooneK we’re not suppose to ask about any of these things because we have “experts” who will handle all these things for us. I was just asking BooneK to grant us permission to ask. No swipe at Doug or the staff, I think their doing a great job.
Mjohn - Go ask DG anything you want. I'm sure he gets all giddy every time he sees one of your bright ideas walking his way. I'm sure he takes it with a huge smile on his face just like he does every other donor, but you can't be that naive to think that he sees you as idea gold. If he did, why hasn't he tried to hire you as a consultant? or even full time in their marketing department that seems to have at least one TBD on the staff directory pretty regularly?

I do love how we are so good at football that the best suggestion we have for the games are cups with ice and a new person saying a catchphrase.

It feels good to be good. Let's enjoy our winning. Starting with ETSU this year. An FCS school that has recently resurrected their program, but doing well so far. Let's remind them that they belong in the SoCon still.

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:11 pm

Thanks for your blessing! This is the one and only idea I’ve ever sent Doug and I don’t get the felling it bothered him at all. He does after all invite questions from us in his “ask the AD” event. I’ll be in KBS on 8/31 and I’ll enjoy the day even if we don’t have ice and even if I here Sean Connery say “welcome to the rock”. Hope you enjoy the day as well.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:05 pm

At the end of the day all i want to see is the scoreboard with us having more points that the other guy...All this other stuff is window dressing.

BooneKarate

Unread post by BooneKarate » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:35 pm

Mjohn1988 wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:11 pm
Thanks for your blessing! This is the one and only idea I’ve ever sent Doug and I don’t get the felling it bothered him at all. He does after all invite questions from us in his “ask the AD” event. I’ll be in KBS on 8/31 and I’ll enjoy the day even if we don’t have ice and even if I here Sean Connery say “welcome to the rock”. Hope you enjoy the day as well.
It'll be a great season. Can't wait to see how Drink does year 1. And Kerns when his time comes to hit the court.

goapps

Unread post by goapps » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:13 am

I went to APP in the early 80's, in those days "The Rock" referred to establishments such as Clyde's, PB Scott's, Holly's, Antlers, Landmark, Mother Fletcher's etc. :D

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:55 am

goapps wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:13 am
I went to APP in the early 80's, in those days "The Rock" referred to establishments such as Clyde's, PB Scott's, Holly's, Antlers, Landmark, Mother Fletcher's etc. :D
Pre-dates the 80's my friend! 8-)

PoplarHillApp

Unread post by PoplarHillApp » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:05 pm

As a former member of "North Carolina's Band of Distinction", I'd certainly like to hear the ASU Marching Mountaineers play more as opposed to piped-in music. That's one thing (at least to me) that makes the college football atmosphere so enjoyable as compared to attending professional and other sports. I admit that I'm a little biased, but I get it honestly after three years as a Marching Mountaineer. Why have a band if you aren't going to let it play as much as it should? Plus, the University should make every opportunity to showcase the phenomenal musicians and music program we are so blessed to have.

I have been hearing the band rehearsing in the evenings, as well as the whistles from Kidd Brewer and seeing the glow of the stadium lights just over the hill, so that lets me know that football season is right around the corner!!

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:24 pm

Rekdiver wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:55 am
goapps wrote:
What are you saying pre-dates the 80's? I might have missed something here. I can say also, as a 1984 alum, the nickname "The Rock" didn't apply to the stadium at that time....at least not for the general public. When I was in school "The Rock" referred to Blowing Rock (generally the clubs/stores above). I don't think the stadium was commonly called that until late 80's or early 90's but if you have additional information, please share! I do know the movie in which Sean Connery delivered that line came out in 1996 (The Rock).

Note: I updated the above since I was obviously having a senior moment and lept back a couple of decades to reference the incorrect movie in my original post.
Last edited by Yosef84 on Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tromboneman

Unread post by tromboneman » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:28 pm

Yosef84 wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:24 pm
Rekdiver wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:55 am
goapps wrote:
What are you saying pre-dates the 80's? I might have missed something here. I can say also, as a 1984 alum, the nickname "The Rock" didn't apply to the stadium at that time....at least not for the general public. When I was in school "The Rock" referred to Blowing Rock (generally the clubs/stores above). I don't think the stadium was commonly called that until late 80's or early 90's but if you have additional information, please share! I do know the movie in which Sean Connery delivered that line came out in 1979 (Escape from Alcatraz) if that is your reference.
The Rock referred to Blowing Rock in the 60's too!! Class of '64

gsoappfan

Unread post by gsoappfan » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:16 pm

"Welcome to the Rock", delivered by Sean Connery came from the movie "The Rock" in 1996.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”