Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

UL-L will require their football players to donate to the athletic fund in order to play football

Discussion about anything related to the Sun Belt Conference
APPdiesel
School: Appalachian State

Re: UL-L will require their football players to donate to the athletic fund in order to play football

Unread post by APPdiesel » Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:28 pm

VNova wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:49 pm
The AD just walked back the "mandatory" terms and said it was purely optional for all players.
In his presser Napier walked his words back and simultaneously doubled down by trying to sell it like a radiothon, saying "It's only $200 over 4 years, $4.25 a month, 17c a day".
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

NoLongerLurking

Re: UL-L will require their football players to donate to the athletic fund in order to play football

Unread post by NoLongerLurking » Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:08 pm

#fakenews

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:08 pm

I can't believe it took 21 posts for posters to realize this fake. We are smarter than this.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:12 pm

T-Dog wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:20 pm
WataugaMan wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:46 am
Donate $1, done.
Go for $2.
Outstanding!
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

VNova

Unread post by VNova » Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:30 pm

APPdiesel wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:28 pm
VNova wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:49 pm
The AD just walked back the "mandatory" terms and said it was purely optional for all players.
In his presser Napier walked his words back and simultaneously doubled down by trying to sell it like a radiothon, saying "It's only $200 over 4 years, $4.25 a month, 17c a day".
I don't think they quite get the problem, even if one of their players is positive about it on Twitter.

StorminASU

Unread post by StorminASU » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:31 pm

NewApp wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:08 pm
I can't believe it took 21 posts for posters to realize this fake. We are smarter than this.
This is literally blowing up on Twitter right now, how is it fake?

CVAPP

Unread post by CVAPP » Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:13 am

T-Dog wrote:
WataugaMan wrote:
Donate $1, done.
Go for $2.
That's very clever T-Dog!

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:47 am

Napier is now "walking back" what he said about "requiring" donations...he meant it as "encouraging" donations...said he presented it poorly but still stands by the concept.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:24 am

NewApp wrote:
NewApp, check your PM. I sent you a PM a bit ago but I don’t think you have read it yet since it is still in my outbox. Unrelated to this topic but using the post as a way to get your attention.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:29 pm

LaLa has to come up with $,$$$,$$$ to pay Napier's salary, incentives and perks somewhere! :mrgreen:
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

'75App

Unread post by '75App » Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:18 pm

I respect Napier for the idea but not surprised there was some blow back!! If Bernie can be elected president, this will not be a problem any longer because everything in our country will be "free"! ;)

GO APPS!

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:10 pm

'75App wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:18 pm
I respect Napier for the idea but not surprised there was some blow back!! If Bernie can be elected president, this will not be a problem any longer because everything in our country will be "free"! ;)

GO APPS!
No need for Bernie remark. Anyone that has any sense realizes there will be a price to pay though the cost at the point of service may be much lower, at least I hope so.

BTK2000

Unread post by BTK2000 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:59 pm

BooneKarate wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:34 pm
I mean, I'm pretty sure App "strongly encourages" their athletics department employees to pay. Seems like you would get somewhat blackballed if you chose to not give, regardless of level of employment. Never really understood places where they pay you and then ask for you to give some of it back. Strange concept.
Eh I work in nonprofit fundraising and it can help when you are working with donors. It shows you also have some skin in the game and arnt just a salesman. I can look supporters and potential supporters in the eye and say I believe in what I’m organizing enough to contribute myself.

BTK2000

Unread post by BTK2000 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:00 pm

'75App wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:18 pm

GO APPS!
Ok boomer

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:54 pm

BTK2000 wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:59 pm
BooneKarate wrote:
I mean, I'm pretty sure App "strongly encourages" their athletics department employees to pay. Seems like you would get somewhat blackballed if you chose to not give, regardless of level of employment. Never really understood places where they pay you and then ask for you to give some of it back. Strange concept.
Eh I work in nonprofit fundraising and it can help when you are working with donors. It shows you also have some skin in the game and arnt just a salesman. I can look supporters and potential supporters in the eye and say I believe in what I’m organizing enough to contribute myself.
I give a small amount to the Greensboro Science Center for this reason to help them say "our employees give a bit." though the GSC management do not really ask this, that I am aware of. It may be the pay is so low they know it may not go over very well. I gave 30 min worth of work this year.

While at Greensboro Day School teachers were asked to give something if only to help with the % that gives to be higher.

It does help bring in $ from foundations when they know the people on the front line are invested. Not sure if that translates to college athletics when funds are coming mostly from alumni.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:16 pm

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:24 am
NewApp wrote:
NewApp, check your PM. I sent you a PM a bit ago but I don’t think you have read it yet since it is still in my outbox. Unrelated to this topic but using the post as a way to get your attention.

McL, there is nothing in my PM box since Dec 27.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:37 pm

NewApp wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:16 pm
McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:24 am
NewApp wrote:

McL, there is nothing in my PM box since Dec 27.
Note the date was back in August. This is an old thread. I think my PM was about waterfalls which you had mentioned on here a few years ago.

This thread is now referring to a post from half a year ago that was itself in reference to a post from a few years ago. Man, can YC go on a tangent or what.

BooneKarate

Unread post by BooneKarate » Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:56 am

BTK2000 wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:59 pm
BooneKarate wrote:
Mixed response from me on this one. If you're a fundraiser, I get it. You have to be able to say that you support it financially too. There is a thought that you shouldn't ask people for money that you wouldn't be willing to give. I hear the concept and I get it.

Does this translate to ticket sales? I would be willing to bet that our ticket office employees, marketing staff, and ticket sales reps don't buy season or single game tickets.

Here's the trouble I really have with asking (really telling and requiring) employees to donate at App. I would be willing to bet that if I worked at App and upper admin came to me and explained to me how much every dollar counts towards the betterment of the athletics department and the athletes that are a part of it, and I responded by explaining to them that every dollar counts in my personal budget as well and I would love for them to give me more money too, then I would immediately get told that it doesn't work that way.

If you're willing to ask for me to give you money, and you sign my paycheck, then I should be willing to ask for more money from you. One way or another, we should have a mutual outcome. You scratch my back, I scratch yours.

Maybe this isn't how most view it in the older generation, and maybe that's not how employees at App view it. But if it was me, that's how I would see it. If I didn't believe in what we were doing, I wouldn't be here. I shouldn't need to give away my salary to signify that I believe in my own work. Plenty of sales reps never buy their own product.

scatman77

Unread post by scatman77 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:21 pm

T-Dog wrote:
WataugaMan wrote:
Donate $1, done.
Go for $2.
Well. Played. :lol: :lol:
We don't slide at Appalachian State. It's a sign of weakness.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Sun Belt Discussion”