Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

First game: ETSU

AtlAppMan
School: Appalachian State

Re: First game: ETSU

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:22 am

ericsaid wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:16 am
AtlAppMan wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:35 am
Just to throw a little fuel on the fire. Let's look at the last five games by ETSU.

ETSU
L - Jacks State 34-27
L - Samford 38-27
W - Mercer 21-18
W - WCU (3OT) 45-43
L - Wofford 30-17

So they are coming in only winning 2 of their last 5 with the only wins barely getting the job done. I know last year is last year and this year is a new year but ETSU doesn't exactly appear to be running a well oiled machine over in the Tri-Cities. They have a lot of challenges just to clean up their act at the FCS level. They basically limped off the field last season.

One of the realities we all know about FCS is that there are about 5-6 top tier teams and then the rest of top 25 drop off significantly, then everybody else. There is a substantial gap after the top tier and why only a small group dominate winning the National Championship game every year. It was that way when we were there and still is today. ETSU is not in the top tier and barely in the second tier.

Again, I say, if WE play to the level we are capable then we should take care of business. The real threat is for our team to not be prepared and not play even close to their level.
This is FBS, FCS, D2, and D3.
True but my major point is that ETSU is not in the top tier of FCS and probably in the bottom of second tier FCS. That means there is a substantial gap between the level App is currently playing and ETSU is playing.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:26 am

ericsaid wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:15 am
AppSt94 wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:15 am
ETSU has talent and a very good running game which will be a good test for our front seven. We have more talent and more team speed which, in the end, should make the difference. Sanders can coach. This is a team on the rise and will be a good test for our guys.
Should be a good "Tune Up" if this team is as good as most here believe it to be. Sure people have said that about App State before, and generally have been correct in saying so. But if App is a double-digit win team, this game should be a solid introduction to putting Fall Camp together and moving on to the next weekend.

#LeaveNoDoubt

I like that...

Note: I think you'd like my write-ups behind a pay wall. I tend to be far more diplomatic off of message boards, especially if someone is paying for the content. I'm also extremely thorough in my paid work; less suppositions and the suppositions that are made usually have statistical analyses to bolster the argument. Some of the analysis may be subjective but that's only where data isn't available.
I'm good. After your analysis of DGB, which you are entitled to, I think I have enough information to know that I wouldn't find enough value in your information to pay good money.

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:52 am

http://www.timesnews.net/Football/2019/ ... ucs-QB-job[/url]

We may see a familiar face at QB when in a couple weeks. Looks like ETSU is taking a Chance at QB. A Grad transfer from Coastal who never really played much there.

Sounds like they are struggling in kicking game. In the scrimmage, "They tried six field goals and made one — a 24-yard effort from Tyler Keltner. Keltner and Logan Bowers combined to miss from 38, 41, 41, 32 and 45 yards."

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:17 pm

AtlAppMan wrote:
Just to throw a little fuel on the fire. Let's look at the last five games by ETSU.

ETSU
L - Jacks State 34-27
L - Samford 38-27
W - Mercer 21-18
W - WCU (3OT) 45-43
L - Wofford 30-17

So they are coming in only winning 2 of their last 5 with the only wins barely getting the job done. I know last year is last year and this year is a new year but ETSU doesn't exactly appear to be running a well oiled machine over in the Tri-Cities. They have a lot of challenges just to clean up their act at the FCS level. They basically limped off the field last season.

One of the realities we all know about FCS is that there are about 5-6 top tier teams and then the rest of top 25 drop off significantly, then everybody else. There is a substantial gap after the top tier and why only a small group dominate winning the National Championship game every year. It was that way when we were there and still is today. ETSU is not in the top tier and barely in the second tier.

Again, I say, if WE play to the level we are capable then we should take care of business. The real threat is for our team to not be prepared and not play even close to their level.
Just to hijack some or the hand wringing over ETSU, ;)

True in the P5 too. I'd bet most anything it'll wind up Alabama, Clemson, or Georgia in the title game, there's that much of a drop off after them. Big Ten too slow. Oklahoma no defense. I've heard the P5 jokingly called the P4 because the PAC-12 is so bad.
BLACK SATURDAY

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:32 pm

Chance Thrasher, a graduate transfer from Coastal, is looking more and more like ETSU's starting QB. He briefly played against us last November and only playe in 5 games during his four years in Conway.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:22 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:26 am
ericsaid wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
ETSU has talent and a very good running game which will be a good test for our front seven. We have more talent and more team speed which, in the end, should make the difference. Sanders can coach. This is a team on the rise and will be a good test for our guys.
Should be a good "Tune Up" if this team is as good as most here believe it to be. Sure people have said that about App State before, and generally have been correct in saying so. But if App is a double-digit win team, this game should be a solid introduction to putting Fall Camp together and moving on to the next weekend.

#LeaveNoDoubt

I like that...

Note: I think you'd like my write-ups behind a pay wall. I tend to be far more diplomatic off of message boards, especially if someone is paying for the content. I'm also extremely thorough in my paid work; less suppositions and the suppositions that are made usually have statistical analyses to bolster the argument. Some of the analysis may be subjective but that's only where data isn't available.
I'm good. After your analysis of DGB, which you are entitled to, I think I have enough information to know that I wouldn't find enough value in your information to pay good money.
Still never argued your points against anything other than to say you find a lack of value in it.

Final point, a paid analysis would, as I said, be more diplomatic. The DGB discussions were made to be less diplomatic to counter the overall attitude that he is another Stephon Brown. People seemed cautiously pessimistic about him, going insofar as to not even discuss the pick-up in much detail, partly because of him being Drink's first QB commitment (I believe), and the debacle that were the expectations for Brown versus the reality of what happened.

Unfortunately, there isn't enough real information to have a nuanced discussion on X's and O's during the offseason and Spring/Fall Camps.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:25 am

Black Saturday wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:17 pm
AtlAppMan wrote:

ETSU
L - Jacks State 34-27
L - Samford 38-27
W - Mercer 21-18
W - WCU (3OT) 45-43
L - Wofford 30-17

True in the P5 too. I'd bet most anything it'll wind up Alabama, Clemson, or Georgia in the title game, there's that much of a drop off after them. Big Ten too slow. Oklahoma no defense. I've heard the P5 jokingly called the P4 because the PAC-12 is so bad.
Michigan and Ohio State aren't slow. Oklahoma seems to have an issue of play count on offense. A team playing Oklahoma might get 40 more plays on offense than they would get if they were to play Alabama, for instance; complimentary football.

But if you think about it FBS, FCS, D-2, and D-3 all have this issue of consolidation of power at the top. The question is why?

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:27 am

AtlAppMan wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:22 am
ericsaid wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:16 am
AtlAppMan wrote:

ETSU
L - Jacks State 34-27
L - Samford 38-27
W - Mercer 21-18
W - WCU (3OT) 45-43
L - Wofford 30-17

This is FBS, FCS, D2, and D3.
True but my major point is that ETSU is not in the top tier of FCS and probably in the bottom of second tier FCS. That means there is a substantial gap between the level App is currently playing and ETSU is playing.
I agree with you. However the second tier is hard to quantify in terms of competition. Are they NDSU? No. But they have several All Conference performers all across the team, a well known coach, and a program that has really rebounded from being shut down in a way that should make Charlotte and GSU cringe.

If App returned as much All Conference talent as ETSU is returning, and App was FCS, App would've been ranked Top 10. I believe the newness factor is still affecting the preseason rankings for ETSU, based on what I've read about them thus far.

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:47 pm

ericsaid wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:25 am
Black Saturday wrote:
AtlAppMan wrote:

ETSU
L - Jacks State 34-27
L - Samford 38-27
W - Mercer 21-18
W - WCU (3OT) 45-43
L - Wofford 30-17

Michigan and Ohio State aren't slow. Oklahoma seems to have an issue of play count on offense. A team playing Oklahoma might get 40 more plays on offense than they would get if they were to play Alabama, for instance; complimentary football.

But if you think about it FBS, FCS, D-2, and D-3 all have this issue of consolidation of power at the top. The question is why?
cutting back to 75 scholarships would redistribute the wealth, but that's just sports talk radio idea.

The Ohio State didn't score in their last playoff game and Harbaugh has failed to beat them yet. Alabama had Oklahoma on the canvas 28-0 in 17 minutes last January.

Slow and no D by the standards of 2019 preseason top 3 Alabama Clemson Georgia in whichever order one wants.
BLACK SATURDAY

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:51 pm

Black Saturday wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:47 pm
ericsaid wrote:
Black Saturday wrote:
AtlAppMan wrote:

ETSU
L - Jacks State 34-27
L - Samford 38-27
W - Mercer 21-18
W - WCU (3OT) 45-43
L - Wofford 30-17

cutting back to 75 scholarships would redistribute the wealth, but that's just sports talk radio idea.

The Ohio State didn't score in their last playoff game and Harbaugh has failed to beat them yet. Alabama had Oklahoma on the canvas 28-0 in 17 minutes last January.

Slow and no D by the standards of 2019 preseason top 3 Alabama Clemson Georgia in whichever order one wants.
That's some serious cherry-picking on that single Ohio State stat. I mean they *are* the only team besides Clemson and Bama to win a CFP national title.

Alabama got torched in their last playoff game; guess that means they're too slow too. Hell, before last year, Clemson had only scored 6 points in their last playoff game. Everybody sucks!

brock20
School: East Tennessee State

Unread post by brock20 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:14 pm

Hey guys, ETSU fan here. Looking forward to the game and the short (but winding) drive over. Can you all give me any info on places to tailgate?

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:22 pm

ETSU is better than a good number of bottom tier MAC, C-USA and SunBelt teams. We're still much better than them, but we've lost to UMass, Liberty, and ULM in recent history and I believe we were better than all three of those.

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:38 pm

EastHallApp wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:51 pm
Black Saturday wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:47 pm
ericsaid wrote:
Black Saturday wrote:
AtlAppMan wrote:

ETSU
L - Jacks State 34-27
L - Samford 38-27
W - Mercer 21-18
W - WCU (3OT) 45-43
L - Wofford 30-17

That's some serious cherry-picking on that single Ohio State stat. I mean they *are* the only team besides Clemson and Bama to win a CFP national title.

Alabama got torched in their last playoff game; guess that means they're too slow too. Hell, before last year, Clemson had only scored 6 points in their last playoff game. Everybody sucks!
Let's discuss this again after the season, mark this post and we'll see how much chalkiness is in play here. it's the top teams and no Cinderella.
BLACK SATURDAY

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:44 pm

ETSU's six SoCon wins last year were by an average margin of 2.8 points and most telling of all...lowly Western Carolina took them to three OTs. They also had SoCon losses to Wofford and Samford and then lost in the first round of the FCS playoffs.
The SoCon is not as strong as it was when we were members along with Ga Southern.

The players and coaches need to focus on them..but as a fan...not really concerned.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:14 pm

ericsaid wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:22 am
AppSt94 wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:26 am
ericsaid wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:

#LeaveNoDoubt

I like that...

Still never argued your points against anything other than to say you find a lack of value in it.

Final point, a paid analysis would, as I said, be more diplomatic. The DGB discussions were made to be less diplomatic to counter the overall attitude that he is another Stephon Brown. People seemed cautiously pessimistic about him, going insofar as to not even discuss the pick-up in much detail, partly because of him being Drink's first QB commitment (I believe), and the debacle that were the expectations for Brown versus the reality of what happened.

Unfortunately, there isn't enough real information to have a nuanced discussion on X's and O's during the offseason and Spring/Fall Camps.
I guess that all depends on who you know. ; )

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:04 pm

NattyBumppo'sRevenge wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:22 pm
ETSU is better than a good number of bottom tier MAC, C-USA and SunBelt teams. We're still much better than them, but we've lost to UMass, Liberty, and ULM in recent history and I believe we were better than all three of those.
Can’t say I’ve given it much thought, but assuming their ranking as a fringe top 25 FCS team is accurate, I don’t think I’d agree that they’re better than many - if any - Sun Belt teams.

Cro-Magnon App

Unread post by Cro-Magnon App » Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:15 pm

The new coach will have his team fired up for his first game. Will not lay an egg on this one. We'd have to play pretty sorry to lose to ETSU. Won't happen.

Appster99

Unread post by Appster99 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:54 pm

brock20 wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:14 pm
Hey guys, ETSU fan here. Looking forward to the game and the short (but winding) drive over. Can you all give me any info on places to tailgate?
That's a tougher question to answer this year with all the construction around the stadium. I'm not sure where out of towners would park now that is suitable for tailgating. I would like to think, despite all the trash talk here, that anywhere you find close to campus you would find a good host in the App family that would treat you well and welcome you to join them.

NoLongerLurking

Unread post by NoLongerLurking » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:23 pm

brock20 wrote:
I'll give you a festival PP if you want it. I guess I'd have to figure out how to get it to you. PM me for details.

ASUGrad2014

Unread post by ASUGrad2014 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:39 pm

brock20 wrote:
Welcome! Finding a place to park and tailgate is difficult but not impossible at App; most of the parking is reserved for our Yosef Club. (Basically we pay a fee and get reserved parking)

Here is a link that has some great info on parking:

http://www.exploreboone.com/things-to-d ... y-parking/

If you can not find anything let me know and I might be able to find you a cheap parking pass. You are welcome to stop by our tailgate in the Greenwood Lot.

Welcome to Boone... Gods country for sure!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”