Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Ted Roof Comments

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Re: Fire Ted Roof

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:53 am

Rekdiver wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:30 am
Here’s the mistake a first time coach has made. He failed to understand the totality of coaching responsibilities, concentrating on his offense while neglecting to understand his inherited defenses strengths. He abdicated his responsibility to someone he knew that was convenient. Drink does not understand defense and if he wants a career as a head coach he better learn it. At his coaches show he needs to acknowledge this, not be defensive and not be catty.
My first year as a head coach I made many many mistakes and at times I wonder if I was actually in a different dimension --- and I had nowhere, no how the responsibilities nor anything else a 1st year head football coach in college has to handle
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

ah59396
School: Appalachian State

Unread post by ah59396 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:01 pm

Again, I’m not on the “fire Roof” train, but if you need a reminder on just how good this Defense was last year:

Coastal + Texas State + Georgia State + Troy combined put up 41 points on us.

We also had a 5 game stretch earlier in season where we allowed 49 total points, which includes games versus Arkansas State, ULL and Charlotte.

I think the freak out may be a result of such a massive shift from absolutely dominant defense to allowing 41 in one game versus UNCC.

But I’ll leave one hopeful tidbit.

After our 2017 nightmare performance against ULM where they put 52 on us (a week after losing to UMASS, what a miserable 2 weeks), our defense responded with the following:

27-6 W vs GA Southern
31-10 W vs GA State
63-14 W vs ULL
34-0 W vs Toledo

Can Drink and company replicate this sort of rebound? No better opportunity than versus Carolina.
YNWA

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:14 pm

it's hard for a G5 to replace the caliber of defensive talent that we just had in pro camps. Still it is UNACCEPTABLE to give up 41 to Charlotte or any other team on our schedule, because of a scheme that doesn't fit our personnel. Sloppiness of penalties really added gas on the fire of getting torched by their passing game. Drink did say it would get corrected, we'll see.
BLACK SATURDAY

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:22 pm

After reading this thread it is apparent the season is over. I'm assuming all you folks with tickets to the UNC game will post on this board that you are selling them at cut rate prices.

I get being upset about the performance yesterday, I know I was. But, does anyone really think after one bad defensive performance that Drink is going to fire Roof? Further, I think for some its just a bridge to far to admit that Charlotte is making strides under a new staff that has installed some confidence in that team. I don't know if they win another game this year, maybe that was their high water mark. But, I do know yesterday it wasn't just our mistakes or formation that resulted in their making some outstanding plays.

Trock44

Unread post by Trock44 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:37 pm

hapapp wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:22 pm
After reading this thread it is apparent the season is over. I'm assuming all you folks with tickets to the UNC game will post on this board that you are selling them at cut rate prices.

I get being upset about the performance yesterday, I know I was. But, does anyone really think after one bad defensive performance that Drink is going to fire Roof? Further, I think for some its just a bridge to far to admit that Charlotte is making strides under a new staff that has installed some confidence in that team. I don't know if they win another game this year, maybe that was their high water mark. But, I do know yesterday it wasn't just our mistakes or formation that resulted in their making some outstanding plays.
There was broken coverage nearly every play. I’m very concerned if we keep running this scheme. Drink says “performance > Preference.” Didn’t see that on defense yesterday. Ours guys were put in situations they should never be in. Ours guys are used to sitting in zone watching the QB and making breaks on the ball. Not to cover guys in 1-1 coverage with no safety help.

Since when did we send the House constantly and play man coverage this much in a game? I was in disbelief after he kept running that same plays constantly after his style wasn’t working. Heavy zone coverage is what we need to go back to, with minimal blitzing, forcing teams to sustain long drives.

Apptrain

Unread post by Apptrain » Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:47 pm

hapapp wrote:

I agree it’s conceivable that UNCC is much improved this year. I told a 49er friend I hope they go on to do great. Because, most likely that means we will also. You have to give them credit for how they played and not quitting when down by 21. That said, I’m worried as hell about what the Tarholes will do to us offensively because they look much improved also.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:54 pm

I’m upset after 2 games even though ETSU only got 7. I wonder if roof and drink even looked at film of our D last year.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:06 pm

Perhaps the losses of Stout, Hayes, and Duck were underrated.

ukappfan

Unread post by ukappfan » Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:08 pm

Didn’t people complain last year about not blitzing enough?

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:16 pm

Apptrain wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:47 pm
hapapp wrote:

I agree it’s conceivable that UNCC is much improved this year. I told a 49er friend I hope they go on to do great. Because, most likely that means we will also. You have to give them credit for how they played and not quitting when down by 21. That said, I’m worried as hell about what the Tarholes will do to us offensively because they look much improved also.
2 games in its hard to tell if UNCC has improved that much but it’s not a great sign that a bad ECU team beat Gardner Webb 49 to 7 and UNCC allowed GW to score 28 on them. I really, hope UNCC is a good team, because it’s going to be a tough year if we struggled like that against a bad team.

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:22 pm

Mjohn1988 wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:16 pm
Apptrain wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:47 pm
hapapp wrote:

2 games in its hard to tell if UNCC has improved that much but it’s not a great sign that a bad ECU team beat Gardner Webb 49 to 7 and UNCC allowed GW to score 28 on them. I really, hope UNCC is a good team, because it’s going to be a tough year if we struggled like that against a bad team.
We'll see how good UNCC is when they play Clemson in a few weeks. ;)
BLACK SATURDAY

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:32 pm

Saint3333 wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:06 pm
Perhaps the losses of Stout, Hayes, and Duck were underrated.
We had 7 players on defense last season make one of three all Sun Belt teams. Four of those graduated.

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:34 pm

That's hard for any G5 to replace
BLACK SATURDAY

asu7

Unread post by asu7 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:40 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:52 am
yosef69 wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:44 am
AppStFan1 wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:37 am
It is dumb to change now or during the year and would cause major confusion and basically start from scratch. Give him a few more weeks before we say for sure he has to go. If by week 7 things aren't better, than we know he has to go.

Bryan Brown was the coach I felt we would miss the most. Always thought Drink would be good on offense but never liked the Roof hire. Maybe he surprises us but who knows.

The one point about first post that is indeed different from previous regime is that we were installing a new defense and did not have the talent. All Roof had to do was copy the playbook and approach of Brown and he had a top 15 defense.
I say we let his stupid ass sit in the booth and have one of the returning app guys call plays from the sidelines. Then fire him in December. 40+ points to charlotte should be unacceptable and that should be made clear to Ted
I know it sounds good. Just harder to make those choices. I'm telling you Roof has a mega ego. He will become a huge problem and storm out the door if we did that. The best thing to do would have been to never hire him to begin with. Everyone knew it but Drink.

As for giving up over 40 to Charlotte. You are indeed right. If I'm Charlotte I am completely happy with result. If Roof sticks around then they could definitely beat us next time.
Not everyone knew it. I voiced my opinion numerous (probably too many) times about it and had to leave the board for a while until things calmed down. Lots of Roof supporters ... trust the visor .... blah blah and now look at our defense. The visor knows nothing of defense and Roof doesn’t either.

I don’t care about his ego. He should check that anyways. He needs to realize we have the personnel for a 3-4 scheme and are good at it. He should be watching tape right now figuring out how to bring it back. If we lose games because his ego then we are stupid for allowing that to happen. The heck with pride go back to the 3-4 in these next two weeks and let’s hit the holes in the face.

huskie3

Unread post by huskie3 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:01 pm

I do not like the hybrid 3-4 Roof is running, appalum is right it puts the LB too tight to react correctly. I have always liked the C playing man, LB covering flat, and S cover 2. You can still blitz with off side C or OLB or an ILB.
Bring Your A Game!

sixtoes9134

Unread post by sixtoes9134 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:08 pm

huskie3 wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:01 pm
I do not like the hybrid 3-4 Roof is running, appalum is right it puts the LB too tight to react correctly. I have always liked the C playing man, LB covering flat, and S cover 2. You can still blitz with off side C or OLB or an ILB.
Spot on!!!

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:19 pm

Per Ethan, no defensive coaches will be made available for interviews during the weekly press conference tomorrow. Very interesting.
Give 'em hell!

yosef69

Unread post by yosef69 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:24 pm

BeauFoster wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:19 pm
Per Ethan, no defensive coaches will be made available for interviews during the weekly press conference tomorrow. Very interesting.
Realistically, what could this mean?

WataugaMan

Unread post by WataugaMan » Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:27 pm

yosef69 wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:24 pm
BeauFoster wrote:
It's getting hot in the kitchen?

appst89
Site Admin

Unread post by appst89 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:29 pm

yosef69 wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:24 pm
BeauFoster wrote:
My guess is that it means nothing other than they don't want every question during the presser to be about the abysmal defensive performance.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”