Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Ted Roof Comments

Rekdiver
School: Appalachian State

Re: Fire Ted Roof

Unread post by Rekdiver » Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:56 pm

well we relied on man coverage and with linebackers playing tight it left the middle open all day, plus our new dbacks arent locating the ball on deep routes.

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:58 pm

The keys to turning this around is Gasparato and DJ Smith.
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:59 pm

appstatealum wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:28 am
There is no problem with this thread. It is a much needed vent session. Calling for Roof's head is absolutely justified. Reasonable minds will hear the chaos from the fans and will process and handle it correctly.
Just very very glad you’re not the AD/HC. Talk about knee jerk. Not to mention irrational.

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:08 pm

RunawayJM wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:40 pm
The scary thing is that we clearly spent a lot of time in camp practicing this 4-3, pressure, man on the backend defense.
Thats the problem -- we didn't spend much time on it at all. It was mainly introduced in the last two weeks...
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:15 pm

Yosef10 wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:59 pm
appstatealum wrote:
There is no problem with this thread. It is a much needed vent session. Calling for Roof's head is absolutely justified. Reasonable minds will hear the chaos from the fans and will process and handle it correctly.
Just very very glad you’re not the AD/HC. Talk about knee jerk. Not to mention irrational.
OK. If mediocrity and sitting around “hoping things get better” without taking action is your approach, good luck with that. In my life, calling a spade a spade and offering solutions is a great way to make positive change. As I detailed in my 40+ posts over the last few days, our frustrations were at least heard. Sports revolves around the fans who support it, without viewers, “sport” doesn’t exist. I’m not going to boo, hiss or hold up for sale signs, but I will certainly lay out my thoughts for the program to see and hear.
The Appalachian State

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:16 pm

AppStateNews wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:08 pm
RunawayJM wrote:
The scary thing is that we clearly spent a lot of time in camp practicing this 4-3, pressure, man on the backend defense.
Thats the problem -- we didn't spend much time on it at all. It was mainly introduced in the last two weeks...
Truth.

They were installing new things on Friday. Makes no sense.
The Appalachian State

yosef69

Unread post by yosef69 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:19 pm

appstatealum wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:16 pm
AppStateNews wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:08 pm
RunawayJM wrote:
Truth.

They were installing new things on Friday. Makes no sense.
Maybe they thought UNCC was going to be way worse. This at least gives me hope if it was installed the day before the game. Not sure if I can believe that though

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:26 pm

appstatealum wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:15 pm
Yosef10 wrote:
appstatealum wrote:
OK. If mediocrity and sitting around “hoping things get better” without taking action is your approach, good luck with that. In my life, calling a spade a spade and offering solutions is a great way to make positive change. As I detailed in my 40+ posts over the last few days, our frustrations were at least heard. Sports revolves around the fans who support it, without viewers, “sport” doesn’t exist. I’m not going to boo, hiss or hold up for sale signs, but I will certainly lay out my thoughts for the program to see and hear.
The answer to our current issue absolutely does NOT rely on FANS "taking action" after two games. Calling for a coaching job after two "less than expected" games is just ridiculous. It looked to me like Saturday was an experiment that simply didn't work. Against ETSU, we weren't getting pressure on the QB with our front 3, so the coach tried something new. I imagine we won't see it again against Carolina because the help we gave our front 3 wound up getting our DBs torched. Expressing an opinion is fine. Calling for a coaching job after two wins (even ugly ones) is just whining. Neither DG nor Drink needs the fans to tell him when adjustments to staffing are needed. If they do, we really are in trouble.

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:27 pm

appstatealum wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:15 pm
Yosef10 wrote:
appstatealum wrote:
There’s much more I could say and won’t but I will point out that saying it’s “justified” to be calling for a coaches head after one game is insane. This place has become (or has been) the crazy house.

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:27 pm

Gonzo wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:49 am
Can we delete this embarrassing thread that was created at the beginning of the second game of the season?
This thread has shifted from knee-jerk, emotional outpourings to actual constructive discussion of the defense (I share many of these criticisms with y'all), so perhaps we can merely change the thread title to something more diplomatic like "Defensive Issues."

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:29 pm

Gonzo wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:27 pm
Gonzo wrote:
Can we delete this embarrassing thread that was created at the beginning of the second game of the season?
This thread has shifted from knee-jerk, emotional outpourings to actual constructive discussion of the defense (I share many of these criticisms with y'all), so perhaps we can merely change the thread title to something more diplomatic like "Defensive Issues."
It was trending that way until Mr. Alum piped back up that it’s completely justified. Just insane....

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:33 pm

You all understand that prospective players and their families and coaches have access to this board, right? Gonzo's point about needing to be "diplomatic" is spot on. We can discuss issues without making it a personal attack on an individual. As I mentioned in another post, we don't know what was said and decided in those game planning sessions. Roof might have been told to use this game to try some different things, unless you were in the room, you don't know.

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:17 pm

Maybe the plan was "show NC a crappy 3-4 hybrid, fool them into thinking that's what we'll throw at them, then bring back the lights out 3-4 defense we all know and love"

Maybe.
Last edited by APPdiesel on Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:32 pm

Yosef10 wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:29 pm
Gonzo wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:27 pm
Gonzo wrote:
It was trending that way until Mr. Alum piped back up that it’s completely justified. Just insane....
I didn’t say we should fire him. In fact, I even clarified that I’m not on the extreme level as some folks planning to hold “for sale” signs or anything. What I did say was the outright and vocal frustration and call for questions to be answered was justified. This was not some “experiment” or us taking UNCC lightly, this was poor game planning, disrespect for our former scheme and a lack of adjustments over a two game aggregate.

No, we do not know what was said in the locker room or planning, but as I detailed in the Moose Lodge, I actually do know quite a bit of what was said/done in the off-season and leading up to this game, not to mention some things that were done/said yesterday. Not once did I suggest we fire him or that we should bring back Woody, but I definitely said let’s call him out and have him answer to that disaster. I did not start the thread, nor did I carry the flag for the mob. In fact, I do not agree with the title, and I started a separate thread in the Moose Lodge to elaborate on the “issues” and have a quality discussion. Good things are happening as a result of this firestorm and I actually reported some details that give me optimism about things moving into next week’s game.

So if you want to be a rabble rouser and disguise yourself as being some refined poster, be my guest. I have offered up plenty of details, diagnostics, and facts over the last 36 hours to support my concerns. I’m not sure if you have contributed to the conversation in the same way, so I apologize if you have.

Quite a few posters are just commenting on the way “everyone is overreacting” and are using uninformed assumptions and bad comparisons to justify why we shouldn’t be concerned. These types of comments are adding nothing to the discussion and are just serving to be contradictory.
The Appalachian State

JMappfan5

Unread post by JMappfan5 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:44 pm

Stonewall wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:59 pm
"Legion of Gloom"
That's the YC members!!! LMAO!!!

asu7

Unread post by asu7 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:49 pm

Look going from too 25 defense maybe too 15 defense then to allowing uncc 40+ ... shouldn’t a knee jerk be expected.

We have had time to sleep on it now and thanks to Appstatealum we know some things are changing.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:08 pm

Rick83 wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:33 pm
You all understand that prospective players and their families and coaches have access to this board, right? Gonzo's point about needing to be "diplomatic" is spot on. We can discuss issues without making it a personal attack on an individual. As I mentioned in another post, we don't know what was said and decided in those game planning sessions. Roof might have been told to use this game to try some different things, unless you were in the room, you don't know.
Some current players’ parents have the same concerns/opinions we do.... *hint hint*. I am sure a prospect who just saw UNCC hang 40+ on us would like to know that that is not acceptable up on the mountain.
The Appalachian State

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:09 pm

RunawayJM wrote:

It’s not going to be easy to reverse course for Roof and teach a new scheme. Assuming he can even teach a different scheme.
Um, no we didn’t. Were you at practice? 11 on 11 have been closed to the public.

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:27 pm

appstatealum wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:08 pm
Rick83 wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:33 pm
Some current players’ parents have the same concerns/opinions we do.... *hint hint*. I am sure a prospect who just saw UNCC hang 40+ on us would like to know that that is not acceptable up on the mountain.
In a coach's second game in the program? Also, after a poor performance by the defensive unit with everyone in an uproar, I'm not sure the players' parents are going to be totally objective. Perhaps they're right, but parents are going to be protective when this type of firestorm is released. Especially when this particular coach was already tainted by this very board when he was hired.
As for the 40+ points hung on us...it's better than 56...Roof might be the sole reason and sole person responsible for the poor showing for the team's effort but we just don't know. As a business person I make decisions regularly based on the information that I have at that moment in time...sometimes the decisions turn out good...sometimes they don't. In the moment one doesn't have the benefit of hindsight which all of the experts on this board have.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:32 pm

Yosef10 wrote:
appstatealum wrote:

AMEN! Two games and people are wanting to fire the Defense Coordinator without even thinking about how it would look to the nation and how to afford a new DC and still pay off the rest of Roof's contract.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”