Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Drink’s Press Conference

AppFan11
School: Appalachian State

Drink’s Press Conference

Unread post by AppFan11 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:24 am

When you have a rabid fan base , we look at everything. This is nothing like a top 10 fan base. Drink’s demeanor yesterday... I know it’s his... and I do believe he is trying however but making the offensive and special teams coaches available to the media but not defensive coaches is such a bad example. He’s essentially saying, you all can talk to the coaches who do well but you can’t talk to those who do poorly. Not good. I get to that he didn’t want to read negative stories about the team but really... “No PR for you if you screw up” ... I’m glad Ethan Joyce asked the tough question and I thought Drink’s response was inadequate. I get he’s a new HC and he’s young blah blah blah... it’s time to put the big boy pants on. I was glad when the 247 guy asked him about the vanilla-ness of the offense now here he had a better response... well our qb has had trouble making the quick out throws to our guys. For whatever reason he has had difficulty making that throw but I think it’s always better to be more open as the HC. If you haven’t read Ethan’ article with Diarrassouba you should.... he talks about the “new playbook and its completely different than what we used the last 2-3 years...... no kidding. Whatever happened to the “performance over preference “ stuff... I hope this isn’t just a nice little tag line. I guess time will tell.

kornegaylw

Re: Drink’s Press Conference

Unread post by kornegaylw » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:37 am

Can you post the link to the post game press conference please?

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:48 am

Anyone who has a link please post it.....I can’t find the conference on the goasu site

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:50 am

Here - it's the first video on the football Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/AppStateFootball/
Give 'em hell!

biggie
Site Admin

Unread post by biggie » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:57 am

AppFan11

Unread post by AppFan11 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:58 am

Thank you Beau and Biggie for posting it.

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:01 am

I think the reason he didn't have defensive staff there was for a couple reasons.
1) he wanted to take responsibility as the HC. He knows everyone is upset and didn't want to hang his staff out to dry. I admire it, and he is taking responsibility and ownership of all his team; and I'm sure he wanted to address those things privately with his staff. I wouldn't want the type of coach who would go to a presser and blame HIS DC and throw him under the bus in public; not a good leadership quality.
2) Based off comments from other threads, I believe the defensive staff was having meetings at that time on what wasn't working and needed improvement.

I didn't like his answer as to why they weren't there when I heard it live, but in reality, you don't want to air your dirty laundry to the media via a press conference.

I am with you on the preference vs performance issue, and hope we are working out the differences between what change our players can adapt to quickly and easily and what Roof wants to run.

Edit to add: I like the way Drink is open to changing his play calls based on what his coordinators and players see and think will work.
He said Link had wanted to run the play for a blocked punt earlier, but he didn't feel like it was a good time, but then decided to run it near the end of the half and it worked. When ZT threw the first TD pass to Virgil, Drink had originally called a run play, but ZT told him they needed to throw it to Virgil. There was a timeout for a review, so Drink called the play ZT wanted and it was successful too.
Last edited by The Rock on Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:02 am

BeauFoster wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:50 am

Why do the think everybody is on Facebook??? Can somebody get with Doug on this? I’ve used up my allotment of contacts.

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:32 am

Mjohn1988 wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:02 am
BeauFoster wrote:

Why do the think everybody is on Facebook??? Can somebody get with Doug on this? I’ve used up my allotment of contacts.
FYI,It is not just on Facebook.

https://appstatesports.com/
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:39 am

Appstate88 wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:32 am
Mjohn1988 wrote:
BeauFoster wrote:

That's actually where I got the link - it directed me to Facebook. You can watch his opening comments on Twitter, but I never could find the whole thing.
Give 'em hell!

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:49 am

BeauFoster wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:39 am
Appstate88 wrote:
Mjohn1988 wrote:
BeauFoster wrote:

That's actually where I got the link - it directed me to Facebook. You can watch his opening comments on Twitter, but I never could find the whole thing.
Understand.
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:59 am

In listening to the whole thing, I get the impression that he is still figuring out how to receive questions. He seemed a bit off put with questions regarding the offense, particularly the lack of TE involvement. He seemed to take offense to someone questioning his play calling. I don’t think that was the intent but he needs to figure out that he has more people to respond to other than the HC when it comes to OC duties.

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:01 pm

Appstate88 wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:49 am
BeauFoster wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:39 am
Appstate88 wrote:
Mjohn1988 wrote:
BeauFoster wrote:

Understand.
I couldn’t find it on our athletics site and Drinks initial press conference was only available on face book

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:03 pm

Mjohn1988 wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:01 pm
I couldn’t find it on our athletics site and Drinks initial press conference was only available on face book
It would be really nice if they could put it either on AppStateSports.com or some other avenue, rather than only Facebook. I understand that may be the best we've got now, and that's much better than nothing, but it's something we should put in the backlog.
Give 'em hell!

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:24 pm

The Rock wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:01 am
Edit to add: I like the way Drink is open to changing his play calls based on what his coordinators and players see and think will work.
He said Link had wanted to run the play for a blocked punt earlier, but he didn't feel like it was a good time, but then decided to run it near the end of the half and it worked. When ZT threw the first TD pass to Virgil, Drink had originally called a run play, but ZT told him they needed to throw it to Virgil. There was a timeout for a review, so Drink called the play ZT wanted and it was successful too.
One of the things I’ve learned about Drink with me being in Raleigh and hearing NCSU coaches talk about it, that generally seems to be his approach. Dave Doeren made a comment before the season that they weren’t all that worried about the offense after Drink left because he would seek so much input from the other members of the offensive staff (who are still on staff this year at NCSU) as far as what they were seeing on tape in relation to the positions groups they coached. I thought that was a pretty smart way come up with a pretty comprehensive offensive gameplan for opponents.

VNova

Unread post by VNova » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:33 pm

Yosef10 wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:24 pm
The Rock wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:01 am
One of the things I’ve learned about Drink with me being in Raleigh and hearing NCSU coaches talk about it, that generally seems to be his approach. Dave Doeren made a comment before the season that they weren’t all that worried about the offense after Drink left because he would seek so much input from the other members of the offensive staff (who are still on staff this year at NCSU) as far as what they were seeing on tape in relation to the positions groups they coached. I thought that was a pretty smart way come up with a pretty comprehensive offensive gameplan for opponents.
This type of approach is a great leadership attribute as well. You gather all the input you reasonably can, then make the decision. Drink knows he doesn't have all the answers all the time, at least based on his comments. I hope Roof is similar on the defensive side.

Then again, I wish Drink would have hired an OC so he could focus on being the leader.

AppSt12

Unread post by AppSt12 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:35 pm

Mjohn1988 wrote:
BeauFoster wrote:

210 million Americans have facebook.
208 million Americans have cable.
169 million Americans get newspaper or read online news.

Pretty much all adults have Facebook

appstate5

Unread post by appstate5 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:59 pm

I'm a 50+ year old with 30+ years as an I.T. professional who doesnt have Facebook or Twitter or Snapchat. All that's on it is gossip and advertisements. Post it on GOASU.COM for pete's sake!

yosef13

Unread post by yosef13 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:14 pm

appstate5 wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:59 pm
I'm a 50+ year old with 30+ years as an I.T. professional who doesnt have Facebook or Twitter or Snapchat. All that's on it is gossip and advertisements. Post it on GOASU.COM for pete's sake!
The website was changed from goasu.com to appstatesports.com about 4 years ago. You can find it there.

I would love to see people ease up and stop focussing on the negative. There is plenty to be excited about. This site seems to be all about doom and gloom.
Last edited by yosef13 on Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wally

Unread post by Wally » Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:39 pm

yosef13 wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:14 pm
appstate5 wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:59 pm
We website was changed from goasu.com to appstatesports.com about 4 years ago. You can find it there.

I would love to see people ease up and stop focussing on the negative. There is plenty to be excited about. This site seems to be all about doom and gloom.
You can also find it on the Appalachian State Mountaineers podcast. I get it on Apple, but it might also be on other platforms...

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian General Discussion”