Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Ted Roof Comments

Rekdiver
School: Appalachian State

Re: Fire Ted Roof

Unread post by Rekdiver » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:40 am

Yosef10 wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:13 am
appstatealum wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:22 pm
Omg dude. Go to the store, pick up some AMB Yosef and chug it. You need to relax. I was commenting on how people were concerned about players/parents reading a message board. I just picture Sean Paytons face now everytime I see you comment. We are all being civil on here and you are being contradictory and confrontational. Specifically targeting me, which is fine. I guess I hit a nerve with you?
If you wanna call me contradictory because I’m not lighting this season or staff on fire after a win then yeah feel free. If you wanna call me confrontational cause i just don’t take what you say as gospel and offering my opinions, then yeah feel free. You’ll probably respond that you’re just telling us info from inside the program but you really haven’t offered up anything more than generalities. My goal here isn’t to be confrontational but i just don’t agree with narrative you’ve been trying to set here.
I don't see any narrative here 10. Alum clearly has demonstrated inside knowledge and cannot afford to betray specific confidences. The fact that we get generalities affords us the opportunity to read between lines for answers. As for most of us who witnessed the defensive train wreck there is no way one could walk away not feeling something is amiss. Yeah I was upset. Mad? I save that for Elections. Cautious optimism is the current state of mind until we see something different.

Appstate88

Re: Ted Roof Comments

Unread post by Appstate88 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:10 am

Just to change the course of the thread a little....

Help me understand, what was wrong with the previous (2-3 years) defensive playbook?

Why can’t 1 seasoned/experienced DC and 2 new assistant defensive coaches learn the old playbook?

Why do 40-50 defensive players and 4 defensive assistant coaches need to learn a new defensive playbook?

Low ego, HIGH OUTPUT
PERFORMANCE>Preference

Change just to change is stupid IMO.
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:15 am

Appstate88 wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:10 am

Help me understand, what was wrong with the previous (2-3 years) defensive playbook?

Why can’t 1 seasoned/experienced DC and 2 new assistant defensive coaches learn the old playbook?

Why do 40-50 defensive players and 4 defensive assistant coaches need to learn a new defensive playbook?

Low ego, HIGH OUTPUT
PERFORMANCE>Preference

We didn't keep the playbook, but had a very similar playbook all during spring and fall camps. It's been changed the last two weeks.

The reason why? He's the name sake of this thread.
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:19 am

Do coaches who inherit or take over a program feel like they have to make radical changes in order to justify their salary? You see it all the time. Coach A takes over a program and the narrative is, "they have to get the players to run their system" and it might take a few years. More often than not in those situations the team stinks for a few years, the alumni go nuts and the guy often doesn't even get 3 years to implement his system. In our case we were expecting that the new regime would simply keep the train rolling as is with some minor tweaks here and there. The consensus is that we returned enough talent on both sides of the ball to keep the changes to a minimum. On offense we just wanted to see a little more opening of the playbook with Virgil, Hennigan, Sutton, etc. No need to become the air raid offense with the stable of backs we returned. On defense keep the same base defense and let the fast dudes make plays.

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:20 am

AppStateNews wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:15 am
Appstate88 wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:10 am

Low ego, HIGH OUTPUT
PERFORMANCE>Preference

We didn't keep the playbook, but had a very similar playbook all during spring and fall camps. It's been changed the last two weeks.

The reason why? He's the name sake of this thread.
I don't know if it was intentional but I've got to believe it's going to be difficult for the Tarheel coaches to determine what our defense is going to look like, our old 3-4, or the new hybrid 3-4 (4-3) or whatever it's called?

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:38 am

I've had the same thought.

Chaz

Unread post by Chaz » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:57 am

If it was intentional, would we be hearing so much about the supposed disdain from the players? I guess that's assuming the players weren't in the dark about it.

mike87

Unread post by mike87 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:02 am

Are we really hearing about disdain from the players or are we hearing about it from faceless posters on an open message board? Surely nobody really believes what you read on the internet.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:11 am

I would assume UNC can dust off some old Duke film if it wants to see defense

Yosefus

Unread post by Yosefus » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:33 am

It would be the best coaching/scheming of all time if App coaching staff ran a bunch of crap defenses on purpose the last couple of weeks to hide as long as possible the real D we have seen the last couple of years. No one would suspect that.....just hoping.

Chaz

Unread post by Chaz » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:35 am

I don't think it's a stretch to believe that some here are closely connected to the team and have a better perspective as to what's going on in the locker room especially when they've proven themselves to be reliable with the information provided in the past.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:44 am

I don't believe that the D that we saw Saturday is what we are likely to see moving forward. I don't think there have been any radical "ego based" changes. Any change recently was probably an attempt to address deficiencies that were identified. I don't think we played the man coverage against ETSU and we really didn't get much pressure on the QB at all in that game. We're all proud of the awesome defense we had last year, but we lost 5 starters in key positions so we do not have the same personnel.

When I watched the ETSU game, I thought both the offense and defense were schemed very conservatively and I thought that by design. This past week was ugly, and I admit that I have doubts about where we are vs. where we ought to be but I think Roof is completely capable of coaching the players up.

If being a DC (or a coach in general) were actually as easy as some folks make it sound, then coaches would be hiring coordinators from message boards. "Just do what we did last year" doesn't work indefinitely because other teams adjust and personnel change. God forbid that a coach try something out that doesn't work in the first game.

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:45 am

mike87 wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:02 am
Are we really hearing about disdain from the players or are we hearing about it from faceless posters on an open message board? Surely nobody really believes what you read on the internet.
There's definitely disdain from the players. You can hear it from Davis-Gaither in his post game interview. He specifically said they are trying to learn new plays. That's because the plays were introduced the day before.
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:00 am

AppStateNews wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:45 am
mike87 wrote:
There's definitely disdain from the players. You can hear it from Davis-Gaither in his post game interview. He specifically said they are trying to learn new plays. That's because the plays were introduced the day before.
Unless you have had personal conversations, I don't think you can conclude that "there's definitely disdain from the players." After that game, I have no doubt that the defensive players were frustrated, angry, etc. How can you distinguish those emotions from "disdain" towards the coach? Personally, I would have been shocked if any interview with a defensive player after that game didn't have a somewhat negative tone, but I don't think you can draw conclusions based on that.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:02 am

AppStateNews wrote:
mike87 wrote:
I would imagine that new plays introduced the day before would be frustrating, but disdain would imply something a lot worse.

asucrutch23

Unread post by asucrutch23 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:03 am

AppStateNews wrote:
mike87 wrote:
Missed this interview. Can it be found online anywhere?

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:04 am

AppStateNews wrote:
mike87 wrote:
But just thinking hypothetically, if you were intending to mask our true defense in hopes of garnering an in-state flagship-school P5 win that you know the entire App State fandom world wants, many want more than even another SBC championship, would you let the players in on it or throw in some schemes at the last minute to mix things up and have confidence that your superior athletes can still pull out the win? If you let the players in on it then you'd have to rely on the players keeping the story straight. If you don't let the players in on it and things don't go well then they have an out that it was the new schemes. And we're at a place now where I'm not sure anyone knows for sure what the defense will look like against Chapel Hill...including their coaches.
I'm not saying that's what's going on, but man if it is, it's freakin' genius, gutsy as well.

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:06 am

After reading this entire thread, I am just amazed at how many experienced quality football minds we have on our message board and just wonder why Drink didn't look for a DC on this board. I am sure he would have found someone much more knowledgeable and experienced than the guy he hired. Some of you posters are just ridiculous and others are just outright insane in your views. I understand being upset by our performance, it is the reason I have waited a few days until posting on this thread, but it is still only the second game. We do have a new staff and we did lose very quality players that we are trying to replace. I do not pretend to be some defensive guru but it seems like the single biggest piece of the puzzle to make a 3-4 really work is the nose tackle who is responsible for clogging the middle and taking on two offensive lineman and we all know the quality of the player that we lost in that position. Perhaps, just maybe, the defensive coaches don't feel like our current nose tackle can handle the load as well as our previous ones so they are trying to compensate by bringing in the linebackers. Honestly, I really don't know and the point is that I doubt anyone else on this board knows either. The coaches have much more of a vested interest in the team performing well and much more knowledge in how to make that happen. How about we give them the chance to do that. Not saying there isn't a time a place for hysteria, I just don't think it is after the second game of the season. The good news is that we haven't played that well yet and are still 2-0, a lot of other teams can't say that.

AppUSMC

Unread post by AppUSMC » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:16 am

This coaching staff was handed the keys to our Ferrari. After driving it twice, they brought it back with a huge scratch on the fender, and the fan base went psycho! Lol!

That’s all the fans can do is bitch on message boards when things go bad. Firing Roof is ridiculous and only said out of frustration.

These coaches aren’t stupid. They’ll fix it.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:18 am

t4pizza wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:06 am
After reading this entire thread, I am just amazed at how many experienced quality football minds we have on our message board and just wonder why Drink didn't look for a DC on this board. I am sure he would have found someone much more knowledgeable and experienced than the guy he hired. Some of you posters are just ridiculous and others are just outright insane in your views. I understand being upset by our performance, it is the reason I have waited a few days until posting on this thread, but it is still only the second game. We do have a new staff and we did lose very quality players that we are trying to replace. I do not pretend to be some defensive guru but it seems like the single biggest piece of the puzzle to make a 3-4 really work is the nose tackle who is responsible for clogging the middle and taking on two offensive lineman and we all know the quality of the player that we lost in that position. Perhaps, just maybe, the defensive coaches don't feel like our current nose tackle can handle the load as well as our previous ones so they are trying to compensate by bringing in the linebackers. Honestly, I really don't know and the point is that I doubt anyone else on this board knows either. The coaches have much more of a vested interest in the team performing well and much more knowledge in how to make that happen. How about we give them the chance to do that. Not saying there isn't a time a place for hysteria, I just don't think it is after the second game of the season. The good news is that we haven't played that well yet and are still 2-0, a lot of other teams can't say that.
very good points. Someone should go back in the archives and drag out the Fire Satterfield thread. Remember that classic which included the very witty pictures of for sale signs? Those folks were geniuses.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”