Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Zac and quick throws

t4pizza
School: Appalachian State

Zac and quick throws

Unread post by t4pizza » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:18 pm

I know that it seems that all anyone can talk about is our defensive performance on Saturday, but did anybody else catch the snippet from Drink about the play calling? He said something to the effect that Zac was having a hard time getting out the quick throws. It was the first time I heard any sort of hint that Zac may be struggling with some of the new offense. It also explained, at least to me, why we have been so run heavy when we were all expecting more passing in this offense. I wonder how much of the offense we have not been able to run because of this difficulty and can't wait until Zac gets it all down (I am sure he will). We have such weapons on offense that an open playbook may make all of us forget about our defensive issues.

Appster99

Re: Zac and quick throws

Unread post by Appster99 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:35 pm

I think its a little extreme to think our offense is run heavy because Zac can't make throws. His first couple quick throws in both games were in the dirt. Those are really the only throws I saw as really bad. He completed other similar throws later in both games. The real reason, I think, we have been run heavy is because any of our backs can take it to the house any time they touch the ball. Yes, it is vanilla. Dare I say, Satt-like. But it works and gives our D a chance to rest. We are way behind in TOP and the D probably isn't in full game shape yet. If we score in 2 mins every time we take possession we will tire out the D and give up big 2nd half points. Sound familiar?

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:59 pm

This is one place that I can actually get behind subterfuge. I’ve actually been wondering if Drink has been slow playing his hand just a bit, that we aren’t picking up on his offense so quickly to throw off opponents from scouting previous team he’s coached. We’re obviously vanilla in play calling, and having seen ZT in the past, he’s a quality passer.

Part of it has been some line struggles, part of it is the otherworldly ability of our run game, but part is downplaying the playbook. I could be completely wrong.
Give 'em hell!

MAD Doctor

Unread post by MAD Doctor » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:00 am

With our main deep threat returning, I look to see the offense get more into the run/pass ratio we expected.
Averaging 50 a game is great, but we have enough weapons that #3 shouldn’t have to bear the load he’s been carrying. When Zac starts hitting on all cylinders, our offense will roll.

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:22 am

The quick throws obviously must be something Drink wants improvement in but in two games so far Zac's completed 68% of his passes for an avg of 11 yards per pass. Not too shabby...

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:21 am

I can recall 3 or 4 passes out in the flats that were low. I think that’s what he was referring to. To that point, Drink said, “we’ll have to figure something else out”. We know that Zac can make all the throws. I’m looking for a breakout game on 9/21.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:41 am

Mjohn1988 wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:21 am
I can recall 3 or 4 passes out in the flats that were low. I think that’s what he was referring to. To that point, Drink said, “we’ll have to figure something else out”. We know that Zac can make all the throws. I’m looking for a breakout game on 9/21.
Those passes look easy but are probably tougher to execute. Zac, like most young QB's probably has a good bit of adrenaline flowing and just hurries a couple now and again. A QB has to really zip those balls out there quickly and timing is key because once the defense reacts it is tough to get positive yards. I think he will be just fine.

kornegaylw

Unread post by kornegaylw » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:43 am

The offense is 99% Satterfield players and our run game is top notch and it clearly works. Drink said he wasn't going to change much of anything. He did say he would add a few wrinkles though which I don't think we've seen just yet...probably b/c ZT hasn't mastered the quick out and b/c the run game gobbles up clock and gives the defense a rest and maybe b/c he wants to torch some teams we are about to play. We've seen that the offense can score quickly so I think he is playing the hand he has right now rather than the hand he wants to play.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”