Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Ted Roof Crow Thread - Come Get Your Dinner

Mjohn1988
School: Appalachian State

Re: Ted Roof Crow Thread - Come Get Your Dinner

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:37 am

Wow, can’t we just celebrate this win. No, we didn’t beat the best P5 team in the country but UNC is still a P5 program with P5 talent and a coach that has won a national championship. The game was not won on a few fluke plays. We played with or better than UNC all day. Our O line and D line play was outstanding!!!!! Our guys beat a team that every high school player in the nation knows. This win was not our Super Bowl but it will elevate our profile and do great things for our recruiting. What ever you want to say about any of our current coaches, I know this much, the guys played hard and that says a lot to me.

yosefshat

Unread post by yosefshat » Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:52 am

Are we sure we aren’t overreacting to a win here? We still gave up 31 points to a below average UNC team. We played excellent defense in the first half and Roof seemingly didn’t make any adjustments down the stretch once UNC started finding success offensively. If I remember correctly, this was the exact same issue we had with him 2 weeks ago?

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:20 am

yosefshat wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:52 am
Are we sure we aren’t overreacting to a win here? We still gave up 31 points to a below average UNC team. We played excellent defense in the first half and Roof seemingly didn’t make any adjustments down the stretch once UNC started finding success offensively. If I remember correctly, this was the exact same issue we had with him 2 weeks ago?
That's hard to evaluate. Carolina has been very successful coming out swinging when they are against the ropes this season. Drink managed the clock brilliantly in that second half and out it on our defense to close it out. Roof (or Gasp?) played soft shell defense, typically only rushed 3 to 4 his and just kept everything in front. Obviously, they didn't want to be beat deep and have Carolina score with a lot of time still left in the clock since they were down two scores. They tightened up the coverage a little on the final drive, but Sam was hitting those up and outs to the sideline nicely.
The defense forcing turnovers was the difference in this game, but their struggles in third down were also what kept Carolina in the game. Conference play starts this week, let's get focused on beating Coastal.
The Appalachian State

Trock44

Unread post by Trock44 » Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:28 am

yosefshat wrote:
You have to consider that we lost Desmond Franklin, one of our best guys in coverage the second half. EJ Scott was out most of the game. Shaun Jolly our second corner who has done a really good job for us so far had an issue that forced him into the locker room for a quarter and came on and off of the field with what seemed like cramping. Shemar Jean Charles our 1CB came off the field a lot in the second half. Seemed like he was gassed.

So really our defense played really well. They made a lot of stops and we played really well against UNC on defense. They set us up for 2 Touchdowns and you honestly you can’t fault them on the first touchdown of the game, that was a special team’s mistake. Play calling looked great, I’ll take that any day rather than giving up big chunk plays like we did against Charlotte.

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:37 am

Look guys.. Roof has been calling plays from the field for years. It's not new to him. It's not like he had to get a different view to call the plays.

Drink made a decision because of events through the week for Gaspo and Roof to change roles this week. Whether it's a permanent change or not, we will find out next week.
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

AppStateMtneer

Unread post by AppStateMtneer » Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:50 am

ASU-FTW wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:46 am
Similar to the 'Fire Ted Roof' thread, sounds like we should change the title in this one too. It's only fair.
Hahaha +1

asu7

Unread post by asu7 » Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:12 am

Sounds like I want that crow taken back and nice filet now. Glad Drink made the call. It worked. I will say that UNC does have a pretty good offense. We did what we had to do yesterday. Yeah we have to get better and we will. Heck of a win! Beat Coastal.

PhillyApp1

Unread post by PhillyApp1 » Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:16 am

I trust Gaspo..... just sayin

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:21 am

ukappfan wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:15 pm
The defense played great! Still a lot of work to do with the corners and on pass d. Had a few great stops but the last drive in the first half hurt. Great win and the d held up just enough even being gassed in the second half. Keep working and getting better every game!
The DBs have room to improve but they made great strides since last week and were doing much better about turning their heads to make a play on the ball. IMOP, the real improvement needs to come up front with our ability to get pressure on the QB without blitzing. There was improvement in that area also, but we can't give good QBs that much time to throw. We've played some pretty good OLs though, so it's not like these results are coming against bush league competition.

Appster99

Unread post by Appster99 » Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:54 am

Overcashed wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:09 am
Called for prevent D at the end of the 1st and played soft at the the game letting UNC make it a close game. I’m still far from sold on Roof being who we need as a defensive coordinator.
Our history is filled with prevent defense and making games closer than they could have been. As is many other teams'. I'm no coach or football professional, but as a fan i hate seeing playing not to lose instead of playing to win.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:59 am

AppStateNews wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:37 am
Look guys.. Roof has been calling plays from the field for years. It's not new to him. It's not like he had to get a different view to call the plays.

Drink made a decision because of events through the week for Gaspo and Roof to change roles this week. Whether it's a permanent change or not, we will find out next week.
Check out the postgame presser with Drink. Besides it being thoroughly entertaining, he definitely confirms he sent Roof to the box, but it doesn’t sound like Roof wasn’t making the calls. Obviously, having Gasp on the sidelines creates a dynamic where calls are being filtered through Gasp and Gasp has to present it with adjustments based on what he and the players are seeing on the field. Interesting to see what happens this weekend against coastal.
The Appalachian State

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:10 am

Appster99 wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:54 am
Overcashed wrote:
Called for prevent D at the end of the 1st and played soft at the the game letting UNC make it a close game. I’m still far from sold on Roof being who we need as a defensive coordinator.
Our history is filled with prevent defense and making games closer than they could have been. As is many other teams'. I'm no coach or football professional, but as a fan i hate seeing playing not to lose instead of playing to win.

Was it playing not to lose or just trying to keep the ball as long as possible to keep our defense off the field rather firing up the blue crowd and blue players with playing wide open and giving up fumbles, interceptions and blown play? The players were sapped due to the heat, Drinkwitz did exactly the right thing.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:13 am

I’m not ready to eat crow after 3 games. 3 games does not a season make.

Appster99

Unread post by Appster99 » Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:23 am

NewApp wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:10 am
Appster99 wrote:
Overcashed wrote:

Was it playing not to lose or just trying to keep the ball as long as possible to keep our defense off the field rather firing up the blue crowd and blue players with playing wide open and giving up fumbles, interceptions and blown play? The players were sapped due to the heat, Drinkwitz did exactly the right thing.
Oh, I accept its use and understand its theory. Doesn't mean, as a fan, I like watching a defense who has success being aggressive suddenly sit back and reduce the pressure on a QB who has shown he can pick apart a defense when given the time. That is why I manage an Optometry practice and not a football program.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:50 am

Appster99 wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:23 am
NewApp wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:10 am
Appster99 wrote:
Overcashed wrote:

Oh, I accept its use and understand its theory. Doesn't mean, as a fan, I like watching a defense who has success being aggressive suddenly sit back and reduce the pressure on a QB who has shown he can pick apart a defense when given the time. That is why I manage an Optometry practice and not a football program.

Good post. BTW, I need new glasses. ;)
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:36 am

yosefshat wrote:
You do realize in the final stretches of the game, we were playing some folks who had played very little or were making their first appearance as an App. No, it wasn't a perfect performance but it was good enough for the win and that is the ultimate goal.

PhillyApp1

Unread post by PhillyApp1 » Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:45 am

So, UNC has lost 2 games in row when teams get leads and go to a soft defense....lol..... thats not a great strategy

RunawayJM

Unread post by RunawayJM » Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:13 pm

I’ll take a big serving. That was an excellent game plan from Roof and Drink and we’ll executed by the players.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:16 pm

appstatealum wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:59 am
AppStateNews wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:37 am

Check out the postgame presser with Drink. Besides it being thoroughly entertaining, he definitely confirms he sent Roof to the box, but it doesn’t sound like Roof wasn’t making the calls. Obviously, having Gasp on the sidelines creates a dynamic where calls are being filtered through Gasp and Gasp has to present it with adjustments based on what he and the players are seeing on the field. Interesting to see what happens this weekend against coastal.
There is no crow to eat here because I believe you because I thought it was weird to just move Roof if we did not have checks and balances on his calls. I could see Gaspo calling the entire game. Gaspo is going to be a very good coach and I would trust him over Roof as DC.

The cooling fans were definitely not working and I feel had we not been getting depleted with injuries and cramps that we could have won by more.

At the end of the day I'm glad for the win but I am 90% sure some things changed and that was not a game called by Roof. I have zero confidence in Roof and that remains the same.

I do think Drink officially became a Mountaineer with this game. I can see it in his eyes. In the postgame he made some comments that backed up he believes what I and most others think. He expects to go undefeated and we can do it. We have a lot of talent and I think Drink is only getting better with each week.

One thing to keep in mind. Look at the numbers of ZT. They were the worst of his career for a full game in terms of TD-INT ratio. When has he not scored a TD in a game? We still won the game. We played pretty good but I still think we only played a B+ game. This team has crazy potential to go 13-0. We just have to take it one game at a time.

UNC was a good team. They still may win 6 games and go to a bowl and hopefully they do.

HighPointApp

Unread post by HighPointApp » Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:43 pm

Can someone post Drink’s post game presser. I’ve Googled for it with no luck. Thanks in advance.
Give 'em Hell!
Class of ‘96

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”