Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Demetrius Taylor game impact

bigdaddyg
School: Appalachian State

Demetrius Taylor game impact

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:30 am

It would be interesting to hear some opinions on this especially from guys with more historical knowledge of our program and specific games. Has there ever been a player who had more in game impact than Demetrius had Saturday- taking into account the game (historically significant, hyped, opponent, etc)? Obviously Corey Lynch was huge with the final blocked kick at Michigan but I can't recall how much he impacted the game. I know that Armanti had some huge games in his time. If Demetrius doesn't make those plays who knows how things might have gone (obviously I know).

BeauFoster

Re: Demetrius Taylor game impact

Unread post by BeauFoster » Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:56 am

The first thing that comes to mind within the last 15 years is the Murrell/Hunter combo in the first National Championship game in 2005. Sack/strip/fumble recovery for a TD really put the nail in the coffin. Those guys together were unstoppable bookends.
Give 'em hell!

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:59 am

I was think of the 2005 Nationl title game as well. Hunter was a beast that game, of course so was Murrell and the rest of our d.

NavyApp

Unread post by NavyApp » Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:01 am

Taylor played lights out and I do believe it will be a game that will live on in App State lore for a long time. But off the top of my head the Armanti game against Richmond in the playoffs stands out the most. His stats from that game were absurd: 14-16 182 yards 3tds and 313 rush yards and 4 tds. He was an unstoppable Force that day.
FREQS AND GEEKS!

appst89
Site Admin

Unread post by appst89 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:02 am

bigdaddyg wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:30 am
It would be interesting to hear some opinions on this especially from guys with more historical knowledge of our program and specific games. Has there ever been a player who had more in game impact than Demetrius had Saturday- taking into account the game (historically significant, hyped, opponent, etc)? Obviously Corey Lynch was huge with the final blocked kick at Michigan but I can't recall how much he impacted the game. I know that Armanti had some huge games in his time. If Demetrius doesn't make those plays who knows how things might have gone (obviously I know).
Dexter Coakley at Marshall in 1995. Marshall's All-American running back, Chris Parker, was completely bottled up by Coakley. As the old joke goes, Parker didn't want the ball. App held Marshall to a field goal and Satterfield led the game winning drive in the 4th quarter for a 10-3 win. To this day, it is still the most dominant individual defensive effort I have seen.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:06 am

I'm not sure it's fair to compare impacts between positions. Saying Armanti "had an impact" on games would be like saying that the ocean is a little bit wet, but the QB touches the ball on every single play so that kind of comparison against other positions is difficult. Our pair on DE's in the 2005 NC game (Hunter/Murrell) come to mind as being in this discussion. Our QB our hobbled and the offense was not moving the ball very well. Those guys kept us in the game and ultimate scored the winning TD, although they didn't do it alone....and neither did DT.

I'm VERY happy to see Taylor having this kind of break out game because this is the kind of thing that creates momentum and confidence. I hope Saturday was a "monster maker" and we get to watch a lot more.

app97

Unread post by app97 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:17 am

t4pizza wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:59 am
I was think of the 2005 Nationl title game as well. Hunter was a beast that game, of course so was Murrell and the rest of our d.
Murrell was the most explosive hitter coming off of the line that I can remember at App.

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:25 am

BeauFoster wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:56 am
The first thing that comes to mind within the last 15 years is the Murrell/Hunter combo in the first National Championship game in 2005. Sack/strip/fumble recovery for a TD really put the nail in the coffin. Those guys together were unstoppable bookends.
I think I"m remembering this correctly. But that year I believe we played Furman in Boone for the semi-final game of the playoffs and in the pre-game press conference, Furman coach Bobby Lamb (Taylor's dad), was asked what he was most concerned about. His response was "those two ends definitely." He was referring to Hunter and Murrell of course. And I believe they played a pivotal role in that game as well propelling us to Chattanooga.

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:25 am

BeauFoster wrote:
I think I"m remembering this correctly. But that year I believe we played Furman in Boone for the semi-final game of the playoffs and in the pre-game press conference, Furman coach Bobby Lamb (Taylor's dad), was asked what he was most concerned about. His immediate response was "those two ends definitely." He was referring to Hunter and Murrell of course. And I believe they played a pivotal role in that game as well propelling us to Chattanooga.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:37 am

Josh Jeffries had a couple of monster games - Miracle on the Mountain - I agree totally with all previous posts ---
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:59 am

Rick83 wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:25 am
BeauFoster wrote:
I think I"m remembering this correctly. But that year I believe we played Furman in Boone for the semi-final game of the playoffs and in the pre-game press conference, Furman coach Bobby Lamb (Taylor's dad), was asked what he was most concerned about. His immediate response was "those two ends definitely." He was referring to Hunter and Murrell of course. And I believe they played a pivotal role in that game as well propelling us to Chattanooga.
I think it was Hunter who was chasing Martin when he fell on the ice towards the end of that FU game. Both of those guys were monsters.
Give 'em hell!

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:17 am

2005 Pierre Banks was in on 3 goal line stops to keep Furman -Jerome Felton- out of the south end zone to help preserve a win. No win and no first Natty. Under the radar, but important.

Taylor was a wrecking crew on his big plays.

2 field goals were blocked at the Big House.... Brian Quick, who went on to redshirt, blocked the first goal. I guess it is important somehow.
BLACK SATURDAY

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:20 pm

I didn't realize that Taylor weighs 280 pounds until the announcer mentioned it.. He sure has a lot of mobility and speed for that size.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

AppFan11

Unread post by AppFan11 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:27 pm

Unlikely we win Saturday ‘s game without DT. He’s a freakin beast! He came to App around 230lbs. He has maintained his quickness with the extra weight. He has great hands at the point of attack. If he stays healthy, he will have a heck of a season in the SunBelt.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:45 pm

All really great examples and really no wrong answers. I would argue that a player who made a singular significant play but really had no other stats in the game doesn't really qualify but just an opinion. The reason I went with D.T. is that this game was so long coming for all of us, was circled on lots of calendars the day is was announced, has epic significance in the state and for App fans in particular and carried way more bragging rites than the others. My second would probably be the Murrell/Hunter combo mentioned above. Without their dominance and that huge play we might not win that NC.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:55 pm

Stats aren't the only measure of impact though. The presence of an outstanding player often changes the strategy of an opponent and limits their options. For example, last year I think opponents avoided throwing to Duck's side so he didn't have the INTs that he had previously but he had an impact because he changed what opponents could do. That's one reason this discussion is really just opinion and can't be an absolute. It's a team sport, so in the end, it's about how well you play your role.

AppRolls

Unread post by AppRolls » Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:09 pm

Meech scored a TD, prevented a TD by tipping a ball headed to a wide open receiver in the end zone, and set up another TD with his pick. From a direct effect on the score standpoint, it has to be the most dominant defensive game of all time.

HighPointApp

Unread post by HighPointApp » Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:33 am

Dexter Coakley at Marshall in 1995. Marshall's All-American running back, Chris Parker, was completely bottled up by Coakley. As the old joke goes, Parker didn't want the ball. App held Marshall to a field goal and Satterfield led the game winning drive in the 4th quarter for a 10-3 win. To this day, it is still the most dominant individual defensive effort I have seen.
[/quote]

I was at this game, my first long road trip as an App student. Don’t remember how I paid for the trip with my friends but that game was a slug fest. The cops told us after the game to stop talking junk and get out of the stadium. Hostile Marshall fans were everywhere. Great celebration after the game in the hotel.
Give 'em Hell!
Class of ‘96

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”