Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

California Rule Challenges NCAA

APPdiesel
School: Appalachian State

Re: California Rule Challenges NCAA

Unread post by APPdiesel » Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:30 pm

Furthermore, a couple of very real scenarios...

A player like Jalin Moore breaks his leg in service of App State. Maybe all he had on his mind was the NFL and ASU knew this so they enrolled him in bare minimum courses to keep him academically eligible. But his career is over now he has nothing. No NFL and no "real" education to speak of. Monies he earned while in college prevents him from being in a lurch after graduation.

(Obviously I'm not speaking specifically of Jalin, just players and situations like his)

Another situation, we've all seen Last Chance U...For every 1 academically gifted Corey Lynch that gets a physics degree there are 20 guys who can barely tie their shoes. You love watching them catch footballs but how many take *real* interest in their academic well being? Very few. Some players can barely read. Some universities are ok with that as long as they can play ball.

Feeling "icky" about athletes earning a few dollars that they can access upon graduation isn't a valid reason to deny what's coming. If it makes some of you feel better, how about add this caveat...get yourself in real trouble (sexual misconduct, drug charges, or worse) and your earnings are forfeit into the general athletic scholarship fund. Nothing speaks louder than money. Use this as an opportunity to teach players responsibility.
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:00 pm

APPdiesel wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:30 pm

A player like Jalin Moore breaks his leg in service of App State. Maybe all he had on his mind was the NFL and ASU knew this so they enrolled him in bare minimum courses to keep him academically eligible. But his career is over now he has nothing. No NFL and no "real" education to speak of. Monies he earned while in college prevents him from being in a lurch after graduation.

(Obviously I'm not speaking specifically of Jalin, just players and situations like his)

Another situation, we've all seen Last Chance U...For every 1 academically gifted Corey Lynch that gets a physics degree there are 20 guys who can barely tie their shoes. You love watching them catch footballs but how many take *real* interest in their academic well being? Very few. Some players can barely read. Some universities are ok with that as long as they can play ball.

Feeling "icky" about athletes earning a few dollars that they can access upon graduation isn't a valid reason to deny what's coming. If it makes some of you feel better, how about add this caveat...get yourself in real trouble (sexual misconduct, drug charges, or worse) and your earnings are forfeit into the general athletic scholarship fund. Nothing speaks louder than money. Use this as an opportunity to teach players responsibility.

How about the athletes just turn pro right out of high school? That way they can get their just rewards straight from the NFL, NBA, MLB,etc. Won't work will it? Tough titty.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

VNova

Unread post by VNova » Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:18 pm

NewApp wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:00 pm
APPdiesel wrote:

How about the athletes just turn pro right out of high school? That way they can get their just rewards straight from the NFL, NBA, MLB,etc. Won't work will it? Tough titty.
If someone is talented enough to immediately go pro out of high school, then why not?

MLB and NHL already allows this. NBA just killed one-and-done, so in 2021 or 2022, HS players will be directly eligible for the NBA draft again. On the other end of the spectrum, MLS requires graduation from an American college system (NAIA, for example). MLL requires competing at the college level and an expiration of NCAA eligibility.

NFL is a pseudo-middle ground on this one, requiring 3 years removed from high school (not necessarily in college either). If you don't play college ball though, you're probably not going to be competitive.

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:21 pm

Talk to me when the 1 and done rule no longer applies and NFL removes the 3 years removed from high school rule. College is still the #1 route to the pros.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:11 pm

NewApp wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:00 pm
APPdiesel wrote:

Most rational thing I’ve ever heard JCline say.

Truth is, the NFL creating a D-league is the only perfect package for this. The problem is, without the pageantry that CFB/Universities provide, a D League may struggle to stay out of the red without an NFL subsidy.

Again, there is no perfect solution, for every point, there is a counterpoint.
The Appalachian State

appst89
Site Admin

Unread post by appst89 » Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:15 pm

APPdiesel wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:11 pm
appst89 wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:56 am
APPdiesel wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:47 am
I didn't realize so many of you were anti capitalists and anti-Americans.
Stopped reading right there. Such hyperbole makes any type of discussion impossible.
Its adapt or die time 89. This has been coming down the pipeline for years and it won't stop. The NCAA won't win this fight. Digging their heels in and banning it will only cause forward thinking brands to break away and THEN college football as we know it is really over.

How's this for hyperbole, James Madison vehemently denied cost of attendance stipend and it cost them the FBS. They stuck to their guns and got left behind.

Will you stop going to games if Darrynton Evans can make $200 for doing a running backs clinic in April? It doesnt affect us as fans except maybe giving us more access to the players we root for at sponsored events.
Did you even bother to read what I said? I'm in agreement that anyone should be able to benefit from their NIL. Nowhere did I say that I supported banning it or support the NCAA. It's hard to go on with a discussion when you either didn't read or chose to intentionally misrepresent what I said.

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:22 pm

appst89 wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:15 pm
APPdiesel wrote:
appst89 wrote:
APPdiesel wrote:
Stopped reading right there. Such hyperbole makes any type of discussion impossible.
Its adapt or die time 89. This has been coming down the pipeline for years and it won't stop. The NCAA won't win this fight. Digging their heels in and banning it will only cause forward thinking brands to break away and THEN college football as we know it is really over.

How's this for hyperbole, James Madison vehemently denied cost of attendance stipend and it cost them the FBS. They stuck to their guns and got left behind.

Will you stop going to games if Darrynton Evans can make $200 for doing a running backs clinic in April? It doesnt affect us as fans except maybe giving us more access to the players we root for at sponsored events.
Did you even bother to read what I said? I'm in agreement that anyone should be able to benefit from their NIL. Nowhere did I say that I supported banning it or support the NCAA. It's hard to go on with a discussion when you either didn't read or chose to intentionally misrepresent what I said.
You said "Stopped reading right there". You flat out said you didn't read the entirety of what I said (which includes the blog post and the South Carolina senator who proposed the bill in the SC senate). You also alluded to recusing yourself from the conversation by saying discussion was impossible. So there wasn't much to go on. I took your comment as representative of the group unequivocally opposed to the California proposition. Maybe if you had fleshed out your argument more I wouldn't have misrepresented you.

appst89
Site Admin

Unread post by appst89 » Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:57 pm

APPdiesel wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:22 pm
appst89 wrote:
APPdiesel wrote:
appst89 wrote:
APPdiesel wrote:

You said "Stopped reading right there". You flat out said you didn't read the entirety of what I said (which includes the blog post and the South Carolina senator who proposed the bill in the SC senate). You also alluded to recusing yourself from the conversation by saying discussion was impossible. So there wasn't much to go on. I took your comment as representative of the group unequivocally opposed to the California proposition. Maybe if you had fleshed out your argument more I wouldn't have misrepresented you.

My belief that they should control their NIL and my concerns related to that were pretty well laid out in my previous post. Whether I read your post or not has nothing to do with you understanding what I said.

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:02 pm

appst89 wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:57 pm
APPdiesel wrote:
appst89 wrote:
APPdiesel wrote:
appst89 wrote:

My belief that they should control their NIL and my concerns related to that were pretty well laid out in my previous post. Whether I read your post or not has nothing to do with you understanding what I said.
I didn't reply to you, chief. You replied to me.

appst89
Site Admin

Unread post by appst89 » Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:04 pm

APPdiesel wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:02 pm
appst89 wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:57 pm
APPdiesel wrote:
appst89 wrote:
APPdiesel wrote:

I didn't reply to you, chief. You replied to me.
My apologies for presuming you had read the thread.

MountainMan2020

Unread post by MountainMan2020 » Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:05 pm

The “fair market” claim here in regards to NIL related payments to players is a farce. It’s going to come down to egos. For example, under this construct, there is nothing to prohibit a booster paying the 22 starters on a team. Bad business or good business... someone that can write that check doesn’t care. And maybe here at Appalachian for example, someone will start an independent “Yosef Club” to pool cash to pay football players, inevitably reallocating funds from all other sports.

I also think the University and college brand is undervalued in this discussion. I buy a ticket to watch the logo and the “Appalachian” name on the front.... not the player name on the back. Let the players form a professional minor league system... I won’t watch it. High Country Grizzlies for example didn’t exactly draw a big crowd from my recollection.

mountaineerman

Unread post by mountaineerman » Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:22 pm

This is going to ruin College athletics. I stopped reading when I saw California.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:40 am

mountaineerman wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:22 pm
This is going to ruin College athletics. I stopped reading when I saw California.
True. California feels the need to go extreme in every thing they do. It wasn't like that in the 50's. The Viet Nam War era was the turning point in almost every facet. Extreme permissiveness is their down fall. They spoil themselves.
Google SUX

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:32 am

I am in agreement that most of this crap can be fixed by just letting kids go straight to the Pros out of high school no matter what the sport. If a pudgy 280 lb kid thinks he is ready for the NFL offensive line go for it. if an NFL team is willing to burn a draft pick on that kid go for it (won't happen). As far as the vast number of college athletes who can barely read, pass basic classes, etc. well that is an issue that needs to be addressed starting in middle school. If a kid thinks he will have what it takes to succeed in college ball or possibly in the pros he needs to take school seriously, buck the trend and actually make an effort early on.

moonshine

Unread post by moonshine » Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:48 am

APPdiesel wrote:
Talk to me when the 1 and done rule no longer applies and NFL removes the 3 years removed from high school rule. College is still the #1 route to the pros.

1 and done will be gone and never should've been instituted by the NBA. The NFL is not going to ever remove the 3 year rule when they have free access off college talent. Those rules were implemented by each respective professional league, not the NCAA. The players wanting to make money should be taking their grievances up with those professional organizations about creating a better route to the pros (see minor league baseball that pays), not the body who governs amateurs.

As for the Jalin Moore example, IIRC App was one of his only offers. His injury most likely did cost him his shot. However, the NCAA does allow for an athlete to borrow against his or her future earnings from a lender for loss-of-value insurance in case of a serious injury. To my knowledge, this is not something that the regular student body has access to. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Say a computer science major ends up with carpel tunnel from an extensive amount of coding/data entry for a school sanctioned competition and can no longer key. Now they end up working in customer service with Jake from State Farm (not that there is anything wrong with that) instead of writing code that could earn them a fortune. Where's his/her fair shake?

Academics seems like a completely different subject matter from NIL. Since this seems to hinge on the fact that the remainder of the student body can make money off their NIL (Do they use the college brand to make money off their NIL?), athletes should be held to the same academic admission scrutiny with zero exemptions. So if a player can't read or takes bare minimum courses to stay eligible, that says more about the education system than the NCAA.
Picked up via free agency by the High Country All-Stars

huskie3

Unread post by huskie3 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:00 am

North Carolina has joined the other states, a bill is being readied in legislature.
Bring Your A Game!

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:43 pm

APPdiesel wrote:

If all he had on his mind was the NFL , he should have skipped college altogether. ;)
Google SUX

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:46 pm

bigdaddyg wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:32 am
I am in agreement that most of this crap can be fixed by just letting kids go straight to the Pros out of high school no matter what the sport. If a pudgy 280 lb kid thinks he is ready for the NFL offensive line go for it. if an NFL team is willing to burn a draft pick on that kid go for it (won't happen). As far as the vast number of college athletes who can barely read, pass basic classes, etc. well that is an issue that needs to be addressed starting in middle school. If a kid thinks he will have what it takes to succeed in college ball or possibly in the pros he needs to take school seriously, buck the trend and actually make an effort early on.
Post of the week. That's what I've been trying to say. College needs to not be the minor leagues for the NBA, NFL, and MLB.
Google SUX

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:47 pm

huskie3 wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:00 am
North Carolina has joined the other states, a bill is being readied in legislature.
Tragic news.
Google SUX

GreatAppSt

Unread post by GreatAppSt » Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:08 pm

moonshine wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:39 am

The next thing you know, universities will create fake classes for the entire student body to enroll in :o
But that would fall under an academic issue, out of the control of the NCAA right? :?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Non-Appalachian General Discussion”