Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Officially Underdogs to ULL

Rick83
School: Appalachian State

Re: Officially Underdogs to ULL

Unread post by Rick83 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:47 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:07 pm
sfoal308 wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:23 pm
We're worried about where we are ranked because perception becomes reality in this sport. Being in the top 25 helps recruiting. It helps us get in to a better bowl. It helps build our case for maybe one day getting into the AAC. The exposure from being ranked is absolutely massive for a G5 school trying to build and establish a brand.

Also, we're just having fun discussing the idea. Every poster on this board could completely forget that we play Wednesday and it wouldn't affect the outcome of the game at all
Why is the AAC a goal for some people? For App, or anyone else to get an invitation, would mean a combination of teams like Houston, UCF, Memphis, or Cincy have moved on. If that is the case, are they left to be a better conference?
UCONN has already announced that they are leaving the AAC in a year or two so that creates an opening in the East IF the conference decides to keep the same number of teams with the divisional set up. The prestige and money the AAC schools get is far greater and would propel our program forward. It'd be an adjustment though because our fans are not going to like dropping more games in a season which would probably happen.
What I've read is that they would be more interested in Boise or BYU but geographically that doesn't make sense like we would but we also have the small market issue.

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:53 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:05 pm
Saint3333 wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:35 am
Black Saturday wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:20 am
ASU_Victory_Lap wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:53 am
Opening is ULL -1. Interested to see how much it moves in three days. It’s already down to -3.
Vegas Insider opened with APP -2.

5 point move in one day on public opinion. It's like we have players sitting out in key positions for that type of move.
The first move was the sharp money yesterday which moved it to ULL -1, which is troubling. The subsequent move to ULL -3 is public money, not as troubling.

This likely means the computers are saying the game is a push, which I believe it will be as it will come down to turnovers and 1-2 plays.
Here is the thing though. We have fans so worried about where we are ranked. If we are a top 25 caliber team this game should not be a 1-2 play or 1 turnover difference. A top 25 caliber team would beat ULL by 10-20 points for sure. So if we do lose or only beat them by a FG then I hope our fans so worried about rankings will shut up. If we are worthy of a ranking then this game won't be as close as people think.
You really can't understand how it's fun for us to speculate and evaluate what it would take to get ranked and an invite to the NY6 can you? This is our hobby...it's fun for us...we're not worried or wasting time because it's fun. Have I mentioned that this is just fun for us as a hobby and an interest? I for one will not shut up if we lose or only win by a FG because we could still end up ranked down the road. We finished 26th in the AP voting last year,so we were nearly ranked, with a horrible G5 loss and no P5 wins. And in fact, if Virginia Tech had beaten Cincy in their bowl game we would have been ranked so I for one, will not stop speculating about it.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:42 am

Rick83 wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:53 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:05 pm
Saint3333 wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:35 am
Black Saturday wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:20 am
ASU_Victory_Lap wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:53 am
Opening is ULL -1. Interested to see how much it moves in three days. It’s already down to -3.
Vegas Insider opened with APP -2.

5 point move in one day on public opinion. It's like we have players sitting out in key positions for that type of move.
The first move was the sharp money yesterday which moved it to ULL -1, which is troubling. The subsequent move to ULL -3 is public money, not as troubling.

This likely means the computers are saying the game is a push, which I believe it will be as it will come down to turnovers and 1-2 plays.
Here is the thing though. We have fans so worried about where we are ranked. If we are a top 25 caliber team this game should not be a 1-2 play or 1 turnover difference. A top 25 caliber team would beat ULL by 10-20 points for sure. So if we do lose or only beat them by a FG then I hope our fans so worried about rankings will shut up. If we are worthy of a ranking then this game won't be as close as people think.
You really can't understand how it's fun for us to speculate and evaluate what it would take to get ranked and an invite to the NY6 can you? This is our hobby...it's fun for us...we're not worried or wasting time because it's fun. Have I mentioned that this is just fun for us as a hobby and an interest? I for one will not shut up if we lose or only win by a FG because we could still end up ranked down the road. We finished 26th in the AP voting last year,so we were nearly ranked, with a horrible G5 loss and no P5 wins. And in fact, if Virginia Tech had beaten Cincy in their bowl game we would have been ranked so I for one, will not stop speculating about it.
You just said if that had happened we would have been ranked. The only "IF" that matters is if we win. I guess I will never get why it is so fun to keep guessing on something we can't control. However, it amazes me at how people chime in and guess without actually looking at the polls. Many are saying things that are purely based on perception.

Here are a few general observations about how voters give weight to wins and losses and for those of you who are so obsessed you have to realize these things.

1. If you beat a ranked or RV team you are given credit and gain more votes. No matter if that team is G5 or P5. If the voters think highly enough of a team to vote for them then they will give credit to any team with a winning record who takes them down.

2. Losing to an unranked G5 who is not even RV is brutal and kills your chances but if the G5 team is ranked then as long as you played close you won't suffer badly.

3. If we beat ULL by say 7 but a couple teams behind us in RV beat a ranked team by even 3 or less they will get more credit. Should they? Absolutely. Anytime you beat a ranked team you should get credit for it.

4. Last, the SBC is going to get less credit than MWC and AAC. The rules you think apply to us don't 100% apply to them. Voters consider both of those leagues better.

Where I disagree with the voters is clearly the AAC is best but I think the MWC is barely better than the SBC. I would love to see the top 3 teams in the MWC face the top 3 in the SBC. I'm not sure it would be a clean sweep like many in the media believe.

Also, here is the area of the AP poll that matters for us. Just track these results and you should see pretty quickly who will be ranked. I expect the winner of Wash/Arizona or if Michigan State upsets Wisconsin for us to be passed by those. Keep an eye on #18 ASU vs #35 WSU. I could see WSU pass us and flip with ASU if they win that one.

Other than that, unless there are upsets of the teams ranked 18-27 meaning they lose a game they should not, we definitely won't rise.

The ones that make the most sense to help us are if Wake Forest, UVA, Baylor, Memphis, and Minnesota lose. If 4 of those teams lose then we will be ranked for sure. If 2 or 3 lose, then we will need to hope nobody below us beats a ranked team. I still think worrying about all this is pointless though. We will be ranked when we are ranked.

17 Iowa (4-1) 454 vs #9 Penn State
18 Arizona State (4-1) 388 vs #35 Washington State
19 Wake Forest (5-0) 380 vs Louisville
20 Virginia (4-1) 353 at Miami FL
21 SMU (6-0) 285 Bye
22 Baylor (5-0) 260 vs Texas Tech
23 Memphis (5-0) 189 at #40T Temple
24 Texas A&M (3-2) 165 vs #1 Alabama
25 Cincinnati (4-1) 118 at Houston
26 Minnesota (5-0) 80 vs Nebraska
27 Missouri (4-1) 64 vs Ole Miss
28 Appalachian State (4-0) 61 at Louisiana Lafayette
29 Washington (4-2) 54 at #32T Arizona
30 Tulane (4-1) 25 vs UCONN
31 California (4-2) 20 Bye
32 Michigan State (4-2) 17 at #8 Wisconsin
33 Arizona (4-1) 11 vs #27 Washington
34 UCF (4-2) 9 Bye
35T USC (3-2) 5 at #10 Notre Dame

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:15 am

Rick83 wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:47 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
sfoal308 wrote:
We're worried about where we are ranked because perception becomes reality in this sport. Being in the top 25 helps recruiting. It helps us get in to a better bowl. It helps build our case for maybe one day getting into the AAC. The exposure from being ranked is absolutely massive for a G5 school trying to build and establish a brand.

Also, we're just having fun discussing the idea. Every poster on this board could completely forget that we play Wednesday and it wouldn't affect the outcome of the game at all
Why is the AAC a goal for some people? For App, or anyone else to get an invitation, would mean a combination of teams like Houston, UCF, Memphis, or Cincy have moved on. If that is the case, are they left to be a better conference?
UCONN has already announced that they are leaving the AAC in a year or two so that creates an opening in the East IF the conference decides to keep the same number of teams with the divisional set up. The prestige and money the AAC schools get is far greater and would propel our program forward. It'd be an adjustment though because our fans are not going to like dropping more games in a season which would probably happen.
What I've read is that they would be more interested in Boise or BYU but geographically that doesn't make sense like we would but we also have the small market issue.
Agree with you on all points but the money. If a Houston exited with say UCF, that is two major markets no longer open to the AAC which would most certainly call for a renegotiation of the TV contracts. Bottom line, there is no way that the AAC can replace any of their big market teams with current G5 schools and maintain the current slice of pie for each school. Prestige is perception, money is tangible.

ASU2012

Unread post by ASU2012 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:31 am

Aint scared, bring it.

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:21 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:15 am
Rick83 wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:47 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
sfoal308 wrote:

Agree with you on all points but the money. If a Houston exited with say UCF, that is two major markets no longer open to the AAC which would most certainly call for a renegotiation of the TV contracts. Bottom line, there is no way that the AAC can replace any of their big market teams with current G5 schools and maintain the current slice of pie for each school. Prestige is perception, money is tangible.
Maybe you've seen something on Houston or UCF leaving the AAC but all I've seen is that UConn is going back to the Big East and it's true that might trigger a renegotiation of the AAC's TV contract.
The gap between the Sun Belt's TV revenue and the AAC's is massive so even if they were to reduce it by a third or even a half we'd probably still come out substantially better. I highly doubt we'd be considered for full membership in the AAC though because of our basketball program. But, if the AAC wants a team that can register some P5 wins and are more concerned about truly reaching that P6 dream, than about TV markets, and if we have a special season this year and next year register a win against Wake and at least take Wisconsin to the wire then I would hope we'd at least get some consideration. We're a better fit geographically than Boise or BYU who are the schools that have been in the conversation previously.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:12 am

Again agree with you but we aren’t going to get a sniff from the AAC unless ECU lobbies hard for us and even then what type of influence would they have? They are just as likely to lobby for ODU. But I still contend that the AAC loses appeal if and or when the AAC heavy hitters move on. I haven’t seen where the AAC has stated that they are looking to replace UConn. Sadly it is all about TV markets for them. BYU bring Mormon Nation so market demographics are moot. All of your reasons for looking to add us make sense but I just don’t see it happening.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:27 am

I don't want to see us end up mediocre like EZU is in the AAC.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:28 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:12 am
Again agree with you but we aren’t going to get a sniff from the AAC unless ECU lobbies hard for us and even then what type of influence would they have? They are just as likely to lobby for ODU. But I still contend that the AAC loses appeal if and or when the AAC heavy hitters move on. I haven’t seen where the AAC has stated that they are looking to replace UConn. Sadly it is all about TV markets for them. BYU bring Mormon Nation so market demographics are moot. All of your reasons for looking to add us make sense but I just don’t see it happening.
I agree it's highly unlikely but I read an article some time back about how the AAC commissioner really wanted to raise their football prominence and beat more P5s. Soooo, and I know it's a stretch, but we have a real opportunity to notch two P5 wins this year. Next year, we have a real shot at both Wake and Wisconsin. IF, and I know it's a bit IF, we were to have 4 P5 wins in 2 years it would get national attention and we'd have a strong resume to present. I know it's a dream scenario but I like dreaming....I'll try to track down that article and post a link if I can find it again.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:32 am

NewApp wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:27 am
I don't want to see us end up mediocre like EZU is in the AAC.
Most people thought we would just be mediocre in the Sun Belt and did not want us to leave FCS because we were a national power. I will say the same thing now that I did then. We won't be mediocre. We will be a AAC title contender regularly.

Many are so obsessed with if we are ranked but if we are truly a top 25-35 program then we should consistently be in the top 3 or so of the AAC. We can win in the AAC. I have no doubt that.

Remember, if UCF, Houston, and Memphis of Cincy are gone then who in the AAC would you be afraid of? I would argue that we could do what we have in the SBC then because without 3 of those the AAC would be below the MWC and barely better than the SBC.
Last edited by AppStFan1 on Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:36 am

Rick83 wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:28 am
AppSt94 wrote:
I agree it's highly unlikely but I read an article some time back about how the AAC commissioner really wanted to raise their football prominence and beat more P5s. Soooo, and I know it's a stretch, but we have a real opportunity to notch two P5 wins this year. Next year, we have a real shot at both Wake and Wisconsin. IF, and I know it's a bit IF, we were to have 4 P5 wins in 2 years it would get national attention and we'd have a strong resume to present. I know it's a dream scenario but I like dreaming....I'll try to track down that article and post a link if I can find it again.
How far away does everyone think this is? I am thinking at least 5+ years because they have yet to even say they are adding anyone.

I have always felt the AAC is in our future though. I just don't think Drink will be our HC when it happens. I'm not even sure Gillin will be our AD by then either.

As for those opponents we better beat Wake while we have ZT. I have not seen what Wisconsin returns next year but I'm not sure we can hang close with them. They seem to be in that group of P5 teams who are a class and level above everyone else. Maybe we can next year but I sure hope Taylor is gone. They are going to be the best team we have played in the last 5 years so that will be a huge test.

FTE_rawr

Unread post by FTE_rawr » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:43 am

Current line is -1 Louisiana, but most people betting are taking App +1
---------------------------------------------
Class of '19

Mainly a reddit user, skimming message boards for App News.

Come talk at /r/CFB and /r/sunbelt

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:45 am

AppStFan1 wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:36 am
Rick83 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
How far away does everyone think this is? I am thinking at least 5+ years because they have yet to even say they are adding anyone.

I have always felt the AAC is in our future though. I just don't think Drink will be our HC when it happens. I'm not even sure Gillin will be our AD by then either.

As for those opponents we better beat Wake while we have ZT. I have not seen what Wisconsin returns next year but I'm not sure we can hang close with them. They seem to be in that group of P5 teams who are a class and level above everyone else. Maybe we can next year but I sure hope Taylor is gone. They are going to be the best team we have played in the last 5 years so that will be a huge test.
Glad to see we have some common ground and I agree Wisconsin will be the biggest test out of those 4 P5s....but we seem to play Big Ten schools tough... :)

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:48 am

Rick83 wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:45 am
AppStFan1 wrote:
Rick83 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:

Glad to see we have some common ground and I agree Wisconsin will be the biggest test out of those 4 P5s....but we seem to play Big Ten schools tough... :)
We did have the butt kicking in the rematch to Michigan. I do like how we stack with Big Ten teams better than the SEC. I am actually more scared of South Carolina this year than I would be of Michigan State, Iowa, etc. Our speed is almost SEC like so we would give anyone outside of Ohio State and Wisconsin this year a heck of a game I believe.

I take the AAC as I do the rankings. It will happen when it happens. I try not to get too excited over that because there has been no activity on that front. I will be googling and checking news on every day once the AAC says they are looking for teams and news comes out that they have been on campus or been talking to our AD. Once that happens I feel like it truly will be sooner rather than later on when we go.

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:53 am

AppStFan1 wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:48 am
Rick83 wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
Rick83 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:

We did have the butt kicking in the rematch to Michigan. I do like how we stack with Big Ten teams better than the SEC. I am actually more scared of South Carolina this year than I would be of Michigan State, Iowa, etc. Our speed is almost SEC like so we would give anyone outside of Ohio State and Wisconsin this year a heck of a game I believe.

I take the AAC as I do the rankings. It will happen when it happens. I try not to get too excited over that because there has been no activity on that front. I will be googling and checking news on every day once the AAC says they are looking for teams and news comes out that they have been on campus or been talking to our AD. Once that happens I feel like it truly will be sooner rather than later on when we go.
OK, so we play them tough 2/3rds of the time.... :D

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:36 pm

Rick83 wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:53 am
AppStFan1 wrote:
Rick83 wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
Rick83 wrote:

As a good G5 we have not played the Big Ten enough for us to know for sure. This Wisconsin game will tell us a lot I believe. I expect them to be a legit top 15 team. Hopefully we just keep winning this year and put ourselves in position to get some major recruits that teams like Wisconsin would love to have. At the end of the day the only way we consistently beat these teams on the field is to beat them in recruiting more often than once out of 50 times.

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:45 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:36 pm
Rick83 wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
Rick83 wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:

As a good G5 we have not played the Big Ten enough for us to know for sure. This Wisconsin game will tell us a lot I believe. I expect them to be a legit top 15 team. Hopefully we just keep winning this year and put ourselves in position to get some major recruits that teams like Wisconsin would love to have. At the end of the day the only way we consistently beat these teams on the field is to beat them in recruiting more often than once out of 50 times.
You realize I'm just messing around, right?

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:52 pm

Rick83 wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:45 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:36 pm
Rick83 wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
Rick83 wrote:

You realize I'm just messing around, right?
Oh I know but the perception is because we beat Michigan and played Penn State so close there is truth there in the minds of some. I like playing the Big Ten. I think we matchup well with them. They just don't have as much speed as we do down here. LOL

yosef69

Unread post by yosef69 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:42 pm

Line is back to even. Considering their home field advantage of 3 is built in, I now agree with this spread

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:19 pm

Getting the feeling that tomorrow night is going to be a shootout and the team with the most depth and with the best conditioning wins it. Hopefully our young guys can make a few key plays. Our coaches have had plenty of time to scheme, find holes in their defense and also coach up our defense to stay focused, swarm and wrap up.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”