Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Gamecock game thread?

AppStateMtneer
School: Appalachian State

Re: Gamecock game thread?

Unread post by AppStateMtneer » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:36 am

Takeaways after getting home after 2 AM:

The Good:
App Nation - the fairgrounds parking lot (black lot) looked about 50/50. If we didn't have 15k App fans at that game it sure sounded and felt like it (wish I had recorded that game and need to find a replay of it) Section 505 was great!

Special Teams:
We didn't miss the opportunity to get points. No missed FGs or PATs. We had several great Kickoff returns which put us in good field position.

Halftime Show:
I usually could care less about halftime shows. The military appreciation halftime show that USC put together was fantastic. That alone would have made the trip worth it.

Preparedness:
We did not come out flat. I believe this was the first time we did pregame warmups in full pads all year (we changed things up). We gave up points on the opening drive but we moved the ball well at the start as well and didn't take a qtr to get things going.

The Defense:
Defense won that game. Pick 6 at the end of the 2nd was BIG! Held them to FGs and did a great job at the end holding on after the offense put them in trouble. Holding them to 3 after the ZT pick at the start of the 3rd was IMPORTANT.

The Bad:
Coach Drink (the OC):
https://youtu.be/b5-iJUuPWis
Coach Drink the head coach did a good job but Coach Drink the Offensive Coordinator almost lost that game by playing not to lose rather than playing to win. He himself during post game shows this season has specifically pointed out that he has been to conservative in play calling at the end of the game and it needs to get corrected... he didn't correct it and that almost cost us last night. I think Drink is doing a good job and he had several great calls throughout the game (example was the 4th and 1 play where we faked run up Middle and tossed it to Reed for a 1st down).... Maybe he needs to let Clark share in play calling... he did a great job in the bowl game vs Mid Tenn.

Tackling:
My goodness...this is mostly directed at the Defensive Backs... we had too many missed tackles where the DBs threw shoulders at the WRs and didn't attempt to form tackle... Missed tackling gave up the TD.

Prevent D:
Guess that Roof didn't hear me yelling from 505 despite my most valiant of efforts. I despise that prevent D... giving up 3 4th and 15+ plays is unacceptable. It was nearly a heartbreaking loss.

Officiating:
Everyone one of those knuckleheads should be fired... that's all I have to say about that.

Time to let my voice heal... Great win for us and bounce back Game after what happened last week...

We are back in the drivers seat and control our own destiny after the Iggles lost - FINISH!

It's great to be a mountaineer!

fjblair

Unread post by fjblair » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:40 am

Agree that the officiating was abnormally bad, lol.

biggie
Site Admin

Unread post by biggie » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:43 am

Feel like officials should be it’s own category of horrible.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:47 am

AppStateMtneer wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:36 am

The Good:
App Nation - the fairgrounds parking lot (black lot) looked about 50/50. If we didn't have 15k App fans at that game it sure sounded and felt like it (wish I had recorded that game and need to find a replay of it) Section 505 was great!

Special Teams:
We didn't miss the opportunity to get points. No missed FGs or PATs. We had several great Kickoff returns which put us in good field position.

Halftime Show:
I usually could care less about halftime shows. The military appreciation halftime show that USC put together was fantastic. That alone would have made the trip worth it.

Preparedness:
We did not come out flat. I believe this was the first time we did pregame warmups in full pads all year (we changed things up). We gave up points on the opening drive but we moved the ball well at the start as well and didn't take a qtr to get things going.

The Defense:
Defense won that game. Pick 6 at the end of the 2nd was BIG! Held them to FGs and did a great job at the end holding on after the offense put them in trouble. Holding them to 3 after the ZT pick at the start of the 3rd was IMPORTANT.

The Bad:
Coach Drink (the OC):
Coach Drink the head coach did a good job but Coach Drink the Offensive Coordinator almost lost that game by playing not to lose rather than playing to win. He himself during post game shows this season has specifically pointed out that he has been to conservative in play calling at the end of the game and it needs to get corrected... he didn't correct it and that almost cost us last night. I think Drink is doing a good job and he had several great calls throughout the game (example was the 4th and 1 play where we faked run up Middle and tossed it to Reed for a 1st down).... Maybe he needs to let Clark share in play calling... he did a great job in the bowl game vs Mid Tenn.

Tackling:
My goodness...this is mostly directed at the Defensive Backs... we had too many missed tackles where the DBs threw shoulders at the WRs and didn't attempt to form tackle... Missed tackling gave up the TD.

Prevent D:
Guess that Roof didn't hear me yelling from 505 despite my most valiant of efforts. I despise that prevent D... giving up 3 4th and 15+ plays is unacceptable. It was nearly a heartbreaking loss.

Officiating:
Everyone one of those knuckleheads should be fired... that's all I have to say about that.

Time to let my voice heal... Great win for us and bounce back Game after what happened last week...

We are back in the drivers seat and control our own destiny after the Iggles lost - FINISH!

Nailed it. Agree with you 100% on all points. We definitely had 15k+, no question. One of the biggest road crowds I have seen from the black and gold. Des Franklin was the culprit in alot of those missed tackles, he has been bad.
The Appalachian State

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:13 am

Has anyone given some thought to the possibility that perhaps Drink is serving as OC so that our coaching money pool can be spread to pay the other guys? If he had to pay a top OC $250k that is less for the defense, namely Roof? That is my theory at least.

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:21 am

Drink being the OC helps us have a designated special teams coach, which has paid off big time.

Kafarmer

Unread post by Kafarmer » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:42 am

No idea if you could really see it on tv, but their db’s were smothering in coverage. I’ve been fussing about opening up the pass game too, but the decisions to not force it tonight were probably best. Some of you mention Zac looked lost, but seemed to me he was checking off his progressions and just nothing there. SC defense was stout! We won this game with 202 yards of offense! Big hats off to our defense!

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:49 am

Kafarmer wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:42 am
No idea if you could really see it on tv, but their db’s were smothering in coverage. I’ve been fussing about opening up the pass game too, but the decisions to not force it tonight were probably best. Some of you mention Zac looked lost, but seemed to me he was checking off his progressions and just nothing there. SC defense was stout! We won this game with 202 yards of offense! Big hats off to our defense!
Neither team had long ball opportunities. I think Zac had a few opportunities to tuck and run but hesitated and got tripped up once and caught from behind a couple other times. Being up higher allowed us to see the field completely. There really wasn’t much available other than some check downs. USC has a solid defense and we punched them several times. I was surprised to hear we only had 200 yards. The kick returns were huge. If you get to the 35 that’s a free first down, to the 45 two freebies, etc. Huge last night.

CharlestonAppFan

Unread post by CharlestonAppFan » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:55 am

AppStateMtneer wrote:

The Good:

I was in Section 505 and can vouch for some great App fans! My family and I were almost at the top but we had a blast. My 5 year old daughter was having a fantastic time high-fiving with everyone as well as my son (and my neighbor’s kids). Not sure if you were around us up there, but we had a great time!

App Nation was loud and proud, especially during the App-State cheer. I couldn’t hear the Game-Cocks cheer over all of us lol! I was amazed at how many of us App fans were there.

Boonegoon

Unread post by Boonegoon » Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:11 pm

NavyApp wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:09 pm
ncman071 wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:02 pm
hard to believe people here still complaining about Drink. we're 8-1 and just beat the 2nd P5 team on our schedule.
If you are referring to me, my bad! Look Drink as HC is awesome. But if we are being honest about our team the HC is getting in the OCs way. I've been sitting on this for a few weeks but it looks like the HC is vetoing the OCs play calls and our offense is sputtering because of it. If me saying that upsets you that's on you.

This team is amazing and having an amazing season. At the beginning we were winning in spite of the defense and now the shoe is on the other foot. Our team is so dangerous for the simple fact we haven't put a complete game together yet and that's facts. 8-1 and back in control of the Belt. Georgia State up next, let's go 1-0 again!
I have to agree. As happy I am with the win, I was pretty disappointed with the play calling in the second half. One drive , from deep in our territory, resulted in a rush for a loss, then a 50/50 ball to Sutton and then a short dump for 6 and a3 and out. Too conservative, too early. You can only put your D hat has played lights out, in bad positions for so long. Almost lost it.
Happy as heck, but I think growing pains from HC/OC made this closer than it ever should have been.

NavyApp

Unread post by NavyApp » Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:13 pm

bigdaddyg wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:13 am
Has anyone given some thought to the possibility that perhaps Drink is serving as OC so that our coaching money pool can be spread to pay the other guys? If he had to pay a top OC $250k that is less for the defense, namely Roof? That is my theory at least.
You don't have to bring in a new coach for the play calling duties. It has been brought up a couple times in this thread: maybe give the play calling duties to Clark. This is not me saying Drink can not do both but it could help him as he continues to grow as a HC. Either way I am 200% in on Drink, he has proven it to me over and over. He has a great ability to be in the here and now and continually makes great decisions. What a hell of a response to last week's loss. Went on the road to a regional SEC school with whom we share a recruiting footprint with and bodies them up, this was not a gimic game. Our guys were better the end. I guess what I'm saying is; It just means more....ON THE MOUNTAIN!!!!!!
FREQS AND GEEKS!

Kafarmer

Unread post by Kafarmer » Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:16 pm

And another thing........ our D held an SEC offense to 21 yards rushing. 21 yards! And until the 4th they were trying to run. That is frickin awesome!

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:17 pm

Kafarmer wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:42 am
Agreed. UofSC's secondary was legit. Hennigan couldn't breath. Zac tried to find his WRs a few times, but decided against it and either tried to get whatever he could or throw it away. He made a lot of smart decisions you would see better on the All-22 film.

AppinATL

Unread post by AppinATL » Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:22 pm

ncman071 wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:02 pm
hard to believe people here still complaining about Drink. we're 8-1 and just beat the 2nd P5 team on our schedule.
Relax. No one is complaining about Drink. However, His penchant for taking his foot completely off the gas and going ultra conservative to the point where we can't get a first down is worrisome. It would have cost us the game last night if not for the SC QB overthrowing a wide open receiver in the end zone on the last play of the game. Drink himself has admitted on a few occasions now to getting too conservative and has expressed an intention to get better about it. When? So far it hasn't cost us a game but has come very close, and what a gut-punch that would have been last night if that last pass had been anywhere near on target. I can understand taking the risky throws out of the picture, but there has to be a happy medium in play selections somewhere between running and gunning and 2 yards and a cloud of dust. It would not hurt for Drink to develop a bit of killer instinct and go for the jugular when he has a team on the ropes as opposed to going rope-a-dope with the offense.

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:23 pm

I was hoping they’d show us the coverage a time or two. It was frustrating viewing it through what ESPN was giving us, and I knew it couldn’t be Zac being afraid to pull the trigger.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

MrCraig

Unread post by MrCraig » Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:31 pm

AppStateMtneer wrote:

The Good:

Special Teams:

Halftime Show:

Preparedness:

The Defense:

The Bad:
Coach Drink (the OC):

Tackling:

Prevent D:

Officiating:

I totally agree, especially about prevent defense. All it prevents is the defense from winning the game.

On the subject of Coach Drink, I don’t disagree, but I think it’s important to remember that it’s his first year as a head coach ever. Give him some time, I’d bet that he will get much better. Coaching is hard.

fjblair

Unread post by fjblair » Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:36 pm

I didn't record the game, anyone know if there is a replay? Looks like it's a no.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:37 pm

fjblair wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:36 pm
I didn't record the game, anyone know if there is a replay? Looks like it's a no.
6AM Monday ESPNU

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:39 pm

MrCraig wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:31 pm
AppStateMtneer wrote:

The Good:

Special Teams:

Halftime Show:

Preparedness:

The Defense:

The Bad:
Coach Drink (the OC):

Tackling:

Prevent D:

Officiating:

I totally agree, especially about prevent defense. All it prevents is the defense from winning the game.

On the subject of Coach Drink, I don’t disagree, but I think it’s important to remember that it’s his first year as a head coach ever. Give him some time, I’d bet that he will get much better. Coaching is hard.
Drink seems to open the playbook early- double reverse pass back to Zac early was wild and almost worked. He seems to try some other cool stuff early then closes the book late if the defense is stout. We seemed to have open looks at the tight ends in the seams that he stopped going to. That late kickoff that Evans froze on nearly killed us. He must have thought he called a fair catch to put the ball on the 25 but evidently kneeled down. I was 20 yards away and thought the same thing but putting us on the 3 was tough. They also pinned us on the 1 earlier in the game after a great punt. We stopped USC so many times between the 40’s and their punter kept pinning us back. I’m sure that played into the calls. A smart fan has to consider all of that before complaining about play calling.

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:41 pm

hapapp wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:37 pm
fjblair wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:36 pm
6AM Monday ESPNU
Thanks. I can’t record games live. For the first time in years, I tried it last week, and you see where that got us.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”