Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Gamecock game thread?

General Moore
School: Appalachian State

Re: Gamecock game thread?

Unread post by General Moore » Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:48 pm

bigdaddyg wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:39 pm
MrCraig wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:31 pm
AppStateMtneer wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:36 am
Takeaways after getting home after 2 AM:

The Good:
App Nation - the fairgrounds parking lot (black lot) looked about 50/50. If we didn't have 15k App fans at that game it sure sounded and felt like it (wish I had recorded that game and need to find a replay of it) Section 505 was great!

Special Teams:
We didn't miss the opportunity to get points. No missed FGs or PATs. We had several great Kickoff returns which put us in good field position.

Halftime Show:
I usually could care less about halftime shows. The military appreciation halftime show that USC put together was fantastic. That alone would have made the trip worth it.

Preparedness:
We did not come out flat. I believe this was the first time we did pregame warmups in full pads all year (we changed things up). We gave up points on the opening drive but we moved the ball well at the start as well and didn't take a qtr to get things going.

The Defense:
Defense won that game. Pick 6 at the end of the 2nd was BIG! Held them to FGs and did a great job at the end holding on after the offense put them in trouble. Holding them to 3 after the ZT pick at the start of the 3rd was IMPORTANT.

The Bad:
Coach Drink (the OC):
https://youtu.be/b5-iJUuPWis
Coach Drink the head coach did a good job but Coach Drink the Offensive Coordinator almost lost that game by playing not to lose rather than playing to win. He himself during post game shows this season has specifically pointed out that he has been to conservative in play calling at the end of the game and it needs to get corrected... he didn't correct it and that almost cost us last night. I think Drink is doing a good job and he had several great calls throughout the game (example was the 4th and 1 play where we faked run up Middle and tossed it to Reed for a 1st down).... Maybe he needs to let Clark share in play calling... he did a great job in the bowl game vs Mid Tenn.

Tackling:
My goodness...this is mostly directed at the Defensive Backs... we had too many missed tackles where the DBs threw shoulders at the WRs and didn't attempt to form tackle... Missed tackling gave up the TD.

Prevent D:
Guess that Roof didn't hear me yelling from 505 despite my most valiant of efforts. I despise that prevent D... giving up 3 4th and 15+ plays is unacceptable. It was nearly a heartbreaking loss.

Officiating:
Everyone one of those knuckleheads should be fired... that's all I have to say about that.

Time to let my voice heal... Great win for us and bounce back Game after what happened last week...

We are back in the drivers seat and control our own destiny after the Iggles lost - FINISH!

It's great to be a mountaineer!
I totally agree, especially about prevent defense. All it prevents is the defense from winning the game.

On the subject of Coach Drink, I don’t disagree, but I think it’s important to remember that it’s his first year as a head coach ever. Give him some time, I’d bet that he will get much better. Coaching is hard.
Drink seems to open the playbook early- double reverse pass back to Zac early was wild and almost worked. He seems to try some other cool stuff early then closes the book late if the defense is stout. We seemed to have open looks at the tight ends in the seams that he stopped going to. That late kickoff that Evans froze on nearly killed us. He must have thought he called a fair catch to put the ball on the 25 but evidently kneeled down. I was 20 yards away and thought the same thing but putting us on the 3 was tough. They also pinned us on the 1 earlier in the game after a great punt. We stopped USC so many times between the 40’s and their punter kept pinning us back. I’m sure that played into the calls. A smart fan has to consider all of that before complaining about play calling.
A smart fan knows how conservative playcalling late in games has screwed us in the past.

For me it is just discussing among fans though. It does not mean we do not like our coach! Just a discussion.

Yosef77

Unread post by Yosef77 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:37 pm

Ok I have a question on near game end strategy. Bare with me. At about 5 minutes left we had the ball and were lined up for a punt. We jumped and got a 5 yard penalty. The clock was reset and we were able to run another 25 seconds off it before we punted. I always felt that the time off the clock at this stage was more important then the 5 yard loss so I was wondering why we would not jump again and again, each time taking more time off the clock. Of coarse the other team can counter it with a time out but then that forces them to use one. If we did this 4 times it would take the clock down to 3 minutes and we would loss 20 yards field position. Doesn't that seem like a good trade? If you watch the results of what they did during that extra 2 minutes we would have been better off running it down and giving up the position. I am pretty sure you can't do this under 2 minutes but it seems like you can with 5 minutes left. What am I missing?

Apptrain

Unread post by Apptrain » Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:44 pm

We could just as easily lost this game on that pass to the end zone. I hope Drink sees it that way and quits getting too conservative too early. UNC had a chance to tie us up for the same reason. Those will start falling the other way eventually. Just my and some others’ opinion. He is the coach and it’s worked so far.

HighPointApp

Unread post by HighPointApp » Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:49 pm

My take - There was a holding penalty on the play. Even if the pass was completed, it would have been negated. Game over. We win.
Give 'em Hell!
Class of ‘96

Apptrain

Unread post by Apptrain » Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:03 pm

My take. Given the officiating that holding could just as easily not been called. My point is the game should not have come down to a final pass to the end zone, and you know that.

HighPointApp

Unread post by HighPointApp » Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:38 pm

I don’t lose my mind when it comes to sports and especially App State sports. Calm down. We won. We can what if the game till the cows come home.

The sun set today and the sun will rise tomorrow. Everything will be ok.
Give 'em Hell!
Class of ‘96

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:51 pm

Just a reminder, South Carolina is littered with more 3 and 4 star athletes than us and their resources DWARF ours. Be happy we got a win. Don't sweat the how and the why and the what if. Just enjoy it.
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:37 pm

Some folks have such a limited recollection of games and only seem to remember what happened late- like being conservative and almost losing. How about going back and watching the numerous plays we didn’t execute that kept us from scoring more which could have made the exciting ending less exciting. Geez we beat a freaking SEC team in their place on national TV. Some people can really ruin a wet dream.

AppinATL

Unread post by AppinATL » Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:14 pm

HighPointApp wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:49 pm
My take - There was a holding penalty on the play. Even if the pass was completed, it would have been negated. Game over. We win.
So you are perfectly ok with a game we had well in hand coming down to the wire like that?

Overcashed

Unread post by Overcashed » Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:26 pm

bigdaddyg wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:37 pm
Some folks have such a limited recollection of games and only seem to remember what happened late- like being conservative and almost losing. How about going back and watching the numerous plays we didn’t execute that kept us from scoring more which could have made the exciting ending less exciting. Geez we beat a freaking SEC team in their place on national TV. Some people can really ruin a wet dream.
You can celebrate the win and still criticize certain aspects of the game.

I personally wasn't happy with us going into clock killing mode with a decent amount of time left in the 3rd.

Also those refs were trash.

HighPointApp

Unread post by HighPointApp » Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:39 am

AppinATL wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:14 pm
HighPointApp wrote:
So you are perfectly ok with a game we had well in hand coming down to the wire like that?
We won. Bottom line. Wether or not I’m ok with SC getting a chance to win at the end is irrelevant.

We won.

Georgia State is next. Let’s kick their a$$.
Give 'em Hell!
Class of ‘96

WataugaMan

Unread post by WataugaMan » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:39 am

HighPointApp wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:39 am
AppinATL wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:14 pm
HighPointApp wrote:
We won. Bottom line. Wether or not I’m ok with SC getting a chance to win at the end is irrelevant.

We won.

Georgia State is next. Let’s kick their a$$.
Maybe we should have came back and beat The Stink in the end. And, maybe South Carolina should have done the same to us. At the end of the day everything evened out.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:14 am

HighPointApp wrote:
Would the game end there? Wouldn't we have to accept the penalty and give USC one untimed down?

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:18 am

hapapp wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:14 am
HighPointApp wrote:
Would the game end there? Wouldn't we have to accept the penalty and give USC one untimed down?
Yes

HighPointApp

Unread post by HighPointApp » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:22 am

This is what I found on a quick Google search. I decided not to start an entire thread but chose to post my findings here. I also wanted to show what a person can find by using search engines.

"A defensive pass inference happens with no time on the clock – and the offense gets another play. An offensive holding happens on the last play and the game is over.

Can the game end on a penalty? Yes. If the time is expiring and the penalty is on the offense, the defense can accept the penalty and end the game. However, if the penalty is on the defense, the offense can accept and extend the game for one more play."

If this is not correct please let me know. In fact, post a reply here or start another thread. This is a free country and message board. I'm just trying to keep things simple and concise.
Give 'em Hell!
Class of ‘96

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:27 am

HighPointApp wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:22 am
This is what I found on a quick Google search. I decided not to start an entire thread but chose to post my findings here. I also wanted to show what a person can find by using search engines.

"A defensive pass inference happens with no time on the clock – and the offense gets another play. An offensive holding happens on the last play and the game is over.

Can the game end on a penalty? Yes. If the time is expiring and the penalty is on the offense, the defense can accept the penalty and end the game. However, if the penalty is on the defense, the offense can accept and extend the game for one more play."

If this is not correct please let me know. In fact, post a reply here or start another thread. This is a free country and message board. I'm just trying to keep things simple and concise.
Good work. The reason I asked is because this morning on Sirius, they suggested it would have been an untimed down. Apparently, they don't know the rules as well as they think.

Yosef77

Unread post by Yosef77 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:48 am

Ok I have a question on near game end strategy. Bare with me. At about 5 minutes left we had the ball and were lined up for a punt. We jumped and got a 5 yard penalty. The clock was reset and we were able to run another 25 seconds off it before we punted. I always felt that the time off the clock at this stage was more important then the 5 yard loss so I was wondering why we would not jump again and again, each time taking more time off the clock. Of coarse the other team can counter it with a time out but then that forces them to use one. If we did this 4 times it would take the clock down to 3 minutes and we would loss 20 yards field position. Doesn't that seem like a good trade? If you watch the results of what they did during that extra 2 minutes we would have been better off running it down and giving up the position. I am pretty sure you can't do this under 2 minutes but it seems like you can with 5 minutes left. What am I missing?

I am not complaining about the ending to the game. I am truely curious about this and have seen a number of times were it would have been beneficial to do this. Anybody?

TheMoody1

Unread post by TheMoody1 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:51 am

Yosef77 wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:48 am

I am not complaining about the ending to the game. I am truely curious about this and have seen a number of times were it would have been beneficial to do this. Anybody?

After a penalty, the game clock shouldn't start running until the next snap. Only the play clock should reset.

Yosef77

Unread post by Yosef77 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:57 am

That's what I thought, so maybe I saw it wrong because when we got that penalty I thought they ran the game clock down again. I'll have to go look again. Thanks for the info.

MrCraig

Unread post by MrCraig » Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:03 am

bigdaddyg wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:37 pm
There’s not nearly enough talk about that 4th down call in, I believe, the first quarter. It was a play action pass to the tight end, who was wide open. That was the point in the game where I truly believed we would win the game.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”