Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Terminate Ted Roof's contract

BeauFoster
School: Appalachian State

Re: Terminate Ted Roof's contract

Unread post by BeauFoster » Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:02 pm

That defense yesterday was the defensive production we all expect. That defense that we rely on when nothing else is going right. Glad to see it against an SEC foe, regardless of their injury situation. Glad to have Roof on board, and glad that Coach Drink didn’t pull a premature trigger and listen to some of the internet experts earlier in the season.
Give 'em hell!

Cro-Magnon App

Unread post by Cro-Magnon App » Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:40 pm

The defense hit. They were physical. We outhit them.

Living in SC. Three or four Gamecock supporters in town/church today remarked on how good our players were (better than they had suspected) and wondered why SC didn't go after those SC prep players that are on our roster. I replied that maybe they did and the players just decided to go to a better program. I like to dig at 'em. Good people, but everybody around here is calling for Muschamp's job.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:44 pm

Perhaps we have reached a new level that can bring in legit players (regardless of the stars) who can actually ball out. Perhaps some of these guys have no interest in sitting the bench at some of them big time P5 schools. Maybe just maybe.

WXAPP

Unread post by WXAPP » Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:19 am

My kind of click bait! :-)
Twitter: @wxcrum

nomadb

Unread post by nomadb » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:39 am

Regardless of giving up those long 4th downs (my argument would be the offense being too conservative and not producing drives later in the game caused our defense to stay on the field and get tired) they held an SEC team to 21 yards rushing. That's impressive no matter how you slice it

canes_mj

Unread post by canes_mj » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:47 am

Great job by the D. I've been critical of Roof, but I was happy to have my expectations wrong for this Saturday and they did a great job vs USC. Good game plan by him and good execution by the D. Wonderful win.

Chaz

Unread post by Chaz » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:50 am

AppOrange wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:17 pm
Id like to hear from Chaz
I've corrected my statement numerous times and admitted I was wrong. See the threads. There were some pains early, but he has done a fantastic job.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:57 am

appstatealum wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:40 am
Overall. Ted has put together great game plans over the last few weeks. He has found the pulse of what we have and put whatever ego issues and doubt he was having early on to the side. I've had the chance to have words with him and you could see the shift.

What needs to happen is he needs to address the play of Des Franklin. The biggest gaping hole in our defense over the course of the season has been his play at the safety position.
How about we refrain from calling out specific players in our critiques? I don’t care if you are right or wrong, calling out a student athlete as the weak link on a message board is poor form.

On a side note. I am really impressed with Jolly’s improvement as the season has progressed.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:12 am

Overlooked in all this, how did 89 get so open in the end zone on the last play?

That's not meant to take away from a very good, determined defensive effort. Four of the last 5 games the defense has been about as good as one could expect. If we can maintain that level of intensity, I like our chances to run the table. That's not to overlook the strong offensive challenges that both GSU and Troy can present. Going to be fun to watch.

MtnMan09

Unread post by MtnMan09 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:28 am

hapapp wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:12 am
Overlooked in all this, how did 89 get so open in the end zone on the last play?

That's not meant to take away from a very good, determined defensive effort. Four of the last 5 games the defense has been about as good as one could expect. If we can maintain that level of intensity, I like our chances to run the table. That's not to overlook the strong offensive challenges that both GSU and Troy can present. Going to be fun to watch.
I was in Section 17 so didn't have a great view of it, but I thought there was a hold on that side (which was called) that opened that up for Edwards. Could be wrong.

appst89
Site Admin

Unread post by appst89 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:09 am

hapapp wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:12 am

I watched it back to try to see that. The App DB fell when Edwards made his last move toward the corner of the end zone.

AppState89

Unread post by AppState89 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:42 pm

The Rock wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:01 am
WASU 93 wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:31 am
The Rock wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:38 pm
ASU2012 wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:32 pm
We gave up:

4th and 15
4th and 18
4th and 15

Just sayinnnnn...
To a SEC team. And they had to be exhausted by that point.
Defense is the only reason we were in this game
Our defense was dominant. But, we would have been more dominant had we rushed 4, instead of 3 on those 4th downs. (Just like the final play, when we got enough pressure to force an overthrow on a wide open receiver—-“risk/reward”)
I love the win, but we had umpteen opportunities to close that one out with any number of stops, or picking up a first down or one more yard.

Our guys gave maximum effort, but they had to for every last second.

The coaches did a tremendous job of getting the team ready. The players outplayed our ultra-conservative coaching (and the garnet wearing officials) to get the W.
If you look back at 3rd or 4th and very long over the last several years, this is always what we have done. 3 men up front, the rest protecting the line to gain.
Them picking it up was a result of fatigue.
Maybe blitzing would have allowed someone to get deep downfield for a TD
I was thinking the same thing, but wished we would have played straight up defense with a serious blitz. Their QB wasn't that good and he would have only had time for a short pass and we could have stopped them. Most of his passes were very short and never really went down field. Bottom line we won, so I'm happy.
AppState89 AKA Robert Martin :D :D

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:47 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:57 am
appstatealum wrote:
Overall. Ted has put together great game plans over the last few weeks. He has found the pulse of what we have and put whatever ego issues and doubt he was having early on to the side. I've had the chance to have words with him and you could see the shift.

What needs to happen is he needs to address the play of Des Franklin. The biggest gaping hole in our defense over the course of the season has been his play at the safety position.
How about we refrain from calling out specific players in our critiques? I don’t care if you are right or wrong, calling out a student athlete as the weak link on a message board is poor form.

On a side note. I am really impressed with Jolly’s improvement as the season has progressed.
Jolly has been fantastic.

I don’t think there is anything wrong with discussing a player on a message board. As a coach, you should want to help a guy that you can tell is struggling. It has boggled my mind seeing the drop in level of play from #6 this year compared to last. I did point out and edit my comment about #6 on another thread, pointing out that at the game, it looked like #8 had made some of the plays that he made and vice versa. When I watched it on tv yesterday, I could differentiate and saw that #6 actually played really well in coverage. His angles on tackles were still suspect and he keeps trying to throw shoulders to tackle. I am not sitting here booing him or calling him trash, I’m just pointing out that something is going on and they need to address it. I loved the energy he brought to the unit last year.
The Appalachian State

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:27 pm

appstatealum wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:47 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:57 am
appstatealum wrote:

Jolly has been fantastic.

I don’t think there is anything wrong with discussing a player on a message board. As a coach, you should want to help a guy that you can tell is struggling. It has boggled my mind seeing the drop in level of play from #6 this year compared to last. I did point out and edit my comment about #6 on another thread, pointing out that at the game, it looked like #8 had made some of the plays that he made and vice versa. When I watched it on tv yesterday, I could differentiate and saw that #6 actually played really well in coverage. His angles on tackles were still suspect and he keeps trying to throw shoulders to tackle. I am not sitting here booing him or calling him trash, I’m just pointing out that something is going on and they need to address it. I loved the energy he brought to the unit last year.
It is certainly well within your right to comment on this board as you want. As a general rule I think that it is poor form to comment on specific players. Coaches can for motivational purposes, but we aren't coaches. But to be very candid, I have a concern when you specifically make such comments. The reason being is that we all know that you have connections within the current program, as you have openly admitted too. Your comments on this message board, in either open or private forums, comes with an inherent risk of creating divisiveness in the locker room. I can understand that he stating that he has areas of opportunities to get better but you openly made the comment that he should be benched. I understand you walked back your statement but in your situation, your comments can cause a lot of problems.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:45 pm

Heard. Fair point.
The Appalachian State

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”