Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Sutton

AppStFan1
School: Appalachian State

Re: Sutton

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:56 am

appstatealum wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:27 am
AppStFan1 wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:53 am
appstatealum wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:14 am
Sutton was Eating tonight. He can't be covered. Glad to see Drink design the game plan around him tonight. Now y'all can see why I kept saying he hasn't been featured enough.

Great App fan contingent at the game. I talked to Roof after the game and LOVED (yes, loved) how upset he was about giving up the late TD. He was furious. I admitted that I was worried after two games and I heaped praise on him with the way he and the defense have come together. I've done a complete 180, but I know he did too.
He did one thing I did not think he would do. He was willing to adjust and be moved to the box so others have input as well. He is not doing the defense by himself and I think he apparently realized if he did not pull a 180 that he would get run out of town and look bad. We all said in preseason for the coaches not to screw it up. I feared he might have too much of an ego but he made changes and was willing to adjust. Good for him. We were going to tar and feather him if our defense took a big nose dive.

I think everyone can see that those of us who said it was no excuse and that we have talent to win were right as well. The corners are very good. I think both corners this year are as good or better than the very good duo we had last year. They are becoming All-SBC caliber players right now. We should have at least 6-7 defenders on the 1st or 2nd team All-SBC if we keep it up. (Davis-Gaither, Fehr, Taylor, Thomas, Jolly, Franklin, and Jean-Charles).

I could possibly see Franklin and Jean-Charles on 3rd team but still that would be amazing after how it looked early on. I would think SBC DEF POY will either be Gaither, ULM CB, or Arkansas State E. I would go with Gaither personally. Maybe I'm biased. lol
Tough game for Akeem. He was upset with himself after the game.

I have a hot take, Jolly/Sean Charles are a better duo than Duck/Hayes. Jolly is more calculated in his coverage and shows more discipline to knock the ball down vs trying to make INTs. I love Duck and Hayes, but have seen a lot of advanced things from Jolly and Charles.
I agree with that. They are at least equal and are possibly better. They are finally becoming an elite duo. They keep up what they have been doing the last couple weeks and they could both end up on the SBC 1st and 2nd team for sure.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:00 am

appstatealum wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
appstatealum wrote:
Sutton was Eating tonight. He can't be covered. Glad to see Drink design the game plan around him tonight. Now y'all can see why I kept saying he hasn't been featured enough.

Great App fan contingent at the game. I talked to Roof after the game and LOVED (yes, loved) how upset he was about giving up the late TD. He was furious. I admitted that I was worried after two games and I heaped praise on him with the way he and the defense have come together. I've done a complete 180, but I know he did too.
He did one thing I did not think he would do. He was willing to adjust and be moved to the box so others have input as well. He is not doing the defense by himself and I think he apparently realized if he did not pull a 180 that he would get run out of town and look bad. We all said in preseason for the coaches not to screw it up. I feared he might have too much of an ego but he made changes and was willing to adjust. Good for him. We were going to tar and feather him if our defense took a big nose dive.

I think everyone can see that those of us who said it was no excuse and that we have talent to win were right as well. The corners are very good. I think both corners this year are as good or better than the very good duo we had last year. They are becoming All-SBC caliber players right now. We should have at least 6-7 defenders on the 1st or 2nd team All-SBC if we keep it up. (Davis-Gaither, Fehr, Taylor, Thomas, Jolly, Franklin, and Jean-Charles).

I could possibly see Franklin and Jean-Charles on 3rd team but still that would be amazing after how it looked early on. I would think SBC DEF POY will either be Gaither, ULM CB, or Arkansas State E. I would go with Gaither personally. Maybe I'm biased. lol

I have a hot take, Jolly/Sean Charles are a better duo than Duck/Hayes. Jolly is more calculated in his coverage and shows more discipline to knock the ball down vs trying to make INTs. I love Duck and Hayes, but have seen a lot of advanced things from Jolly and Charles.
Jolly and Charles have come a LONG way since the first two games! They got torched earlier in the season when they were isolated in man coverage but they've definitely become more aggressive and are breaking up passes on a regular basis...not to mention the INTs. Akeem didn't have his typical ridiculous stats but fortunately Fehr has a big game! Fehr has made some great plays in the past two games.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:35 am

Yeah. Fehr was apparently really sick at the GaSth game and was in some pain. He bounced back big at SC and last night.
The Appalachian State

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:36 am

NDavidsonApp wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:32 am
Deano wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:31 am
Best receiver we've had since Sean Price, he's open on a lot of routes that don't get thrown his way.
Just as long as he doesn't act like Price.
Corey is about as great a kid as you can meet. Very polite and really reserved. Loves interacting with the little Yosefs.
The Appalachian State

appbio91

Unread post by appbio91 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:21 pm

Gotta believe he was working his way off the shit list behind the scenes, hopefully he has done what it takes to make amends and can be a major part of the O going forward

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:31 pm

appbio91 wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:21 pm
Gotta believe he was working his way off the shit list behind the scenes, hopefully he has done what it takes to make amends and can be a major part of the O going forward
Kind of....

Drink's biggest hurdle has been handling personnel behind the scenes and learning how to be more than just a position coach/coordinator. It's starting to click for him
The Appalachian State

Cro-Magnon App

Unread post by Cro-Magnon App » Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:01 pm

Sutton gives us another dimension and certainly puts pressure on the defense. Price was good though a little immature. Personally, I loved watching Brian Quick play.

Kafarmer

Unread post by Kafarmer » Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:13 pm

Sutton is a helluva receiver! With him, Hennigan, Williams and Virgil, that’s got to be one of the elite receiving cores in NCAA. Things coming together at the right time. As the passing game comes back it opens up the running game!

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:45 pm

appstatealum wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
appstatealum wrote:

Not to disagree with you but I would say it’s too early to make that comparison. They are certainly trending that way, but Duck started his career on fire and he wasn’t targeted as much after his Freshman year.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:52 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:45 pm
appstatealum wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
appstatealum wrote:

Not to disagree with you but I would say it’s too early to make that comparison. They are certainly trending that way, but Duck started his career on fire and he wasn’t targeted as much after his Freshman year.
I think he is going off the ability of them. Duck was a great player for us but limited athletically and small. These two are bigger than him and they are better athletes. Duck had a nose for the ball and was very good on special teams but these two have more upside than him.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:16 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:52 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
appstatealum wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
appstatealum wrote:

I think he is going off the ability of them. Duck was a great player for us but limited athletically and small. These two are bigger than him and they are better athletes. Duck had a nose for the ball and was very good on special teams but these two have more upside than him.
He spoke merely about skills and did not mention size. Size has nothing to do with one’s imate ability as a ballhawk. But again, to each his own. I have been impressed with Jolly’s progression.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:22 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:16 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:52 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
appstatealum wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:

He spoke merely about skills and did not mention size. Size has nothing to do with one’s imate ability as a ballhawk. But again, to each his own. I have been impressed with Jolly’s progression.
I think he has slightly better skills and then just saying bigger as well so it is a plus. I try to judge a player based on the type of player they are and their ability if I compare our guys. None of our current DBs have had as good of a career as Duck or Hayes yet but both corners could end up having equal or better careers and certainly have as good or better skills for sure. Just need more time to make plays like they have recently to have comparable accolades as the others. We have had some very good corners the last 4 years or so and I actually think our backups are pretty good as well. It has been pointed out before but our 3rd corner covered Bryan Edwards and had some nice plays against him. We have some talent in the secondary for sure.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:36 pm

Henni was a little off last night which made Corey’s game even more important.He just delivered and delivered again. Akeem over ran the long touchdown,seemed to be pressing but I’m sure TR will help him settle down. First down production was frustrating the way they crowded the box,keying on a Evans. Play action paid off as we got rolling. We put up 56 , it could have been 70. I know Ellington was hurt but am tired of hearing what sound a lot like excuses every week based on an opponent’s injuries. Every team is limping at this point. We lost 2 of 3 starters on our D line preseason.Two of our top three running backs after a couple of games

TomA415

Unread post by TomA415 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:48 pm

appstatealum wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
appstatealum wrote:

I’ve been impressed with them the last few games but that’s quite a stretch to say better than Duck and Tae already.

The potential is there for next year even with the safety departures but let’s let this year play out before we put them above the duo that are both playing some sort of professional ball

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:04 pm

I'm not going to make a comparison at this point. What is great to see with our corners if that they have gained confidence. At the beginning of the year, they were giving huge cushions and we letting the receivers run free and catch the ball in front of them. Now, we are playing a little press coverage and they are attacking the ball. It's great to see the progression.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:12 pm

I know that this thread is about Sutton, but was anyone else impressed to see DeMarco Jackson track down their RB on that 60 yard run?

Cro-Magnon App

Unread post by Cro-Magnon App » Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:23 pm

Saw that. We had a speed advantage all over the field.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:58 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:12 pm
I know that this thread is about Sutton, but was anyone else impressed to see DeMarco Jackson track down their RB on that 60 yard run?
Yes. That was incredible. Apparently he did track in HS.
The Appalachian State

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:02 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
appstatealum wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
appstatealum wrote:

LOL. That was why it was a "hot take". I'm right there with you, I think they have potential to be better, but Duck and Hayes at their best was pretty fun to watch. I was just pulling a Max or Steven A.....
The Appalachian State

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:10 pm

appstatealum wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:02 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
appstatealum wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
appstatealum wrote:

LOL. That was why it was a "hot take". I'm right there with you, I think they have potential to be better, but Duck and Hayes at their best was pretty fun to watch. I was just pulling a Max or Steven A.....
Sorry, we have enough hot take folks here. I do like Jolly and SJC.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”