Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

App State players are speaking out on Twitter

yosef69
School: Appalachian State

Re: App State players are speaking out on Twitter

Unread post by yosef69 » Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:41 pm

Yosef10 wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:35 pm
yosef69 wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:56 pm
It does not appear that drink was well liked. Or even liked at all.
When are y’all going to stop with this stupid shit?

You find one of dozens of player tweets and think you're disproving everyone else?

PS you found the QB whose coach is a known QB whisperer.

yosef13

Unread post by yosef13 » Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:47 pm

Yosef10 wrote:
yosef69 wrote:

We should just thank Drink and move on. Nobody expected him to get a mega offer from an SEC school after one year.

It's not his fault and people have the right to be upset, but it just happened. Every single one of us would have done the same.

AppState89

Unread post by AppState89 » Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:54 pm

yosef69 wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:41 pm
Yosef10 wrote:
yosef69 wrote:

You find one of dozens of player tweets and think you're disproving everyone else?

PS you found the QB whose coach is a known QB whisperer.
Because Zac is a great kid, leader and role model. He was raised the correct way.
AppState89 AKA Robert Martin :D :D

ArmantiWaterSafety

Unread post by ArmantiWaterSafety » Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:57 pm

As much as I hate it, and hate him for the lies about the stepping stone job, if someone gave me a 400% increase in salary to do the same job, I'd probably take it.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:59 pm

yosef13 wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:47 pm
Yosef10 wrote:
yosef69 wrote:

We should just thank Drink and move on. Nobody expected him to get a mega offer from an SEC school after one year.

It's not his fault and people have the right to be upset, but it just happened. Every single one of us would have done the same.
Wrong. Some of us have a different set of values. I’ve turned down multiple opportunities to interview for better positions at my company that paid substantially more because I had originally made a commitment to achieve a goal in my current position before I made my next move. I’ve continued that for 15 years and it has worked out for me. Case in point, my recent promotion was highlighted by leadership acknowledging that very thing and that was what separated me from the rest.

I don’t blame Drink, I blame the College Football world for letting their culture become like this. When the Jimmy Sextons of the world are the ones holding the puppet strings, loyalty and integrity go out the window.
The Appalachian State

citroknight
School: UCF

Unread post by citroknight » Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:01 pm

Saint3333 wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:59 pm
Signing day is 12/18, I’ll in on Clark. His resume includes 7 years as an assistant at FBS programs including OC/AHC and then four at App.

We could go after another P5 OC or DC or FCS HC, but they would be short term rental with the talent we have coming back.
Clark very well could be the guy, but it's always good to interview external candidates and actually reach that conclusion. Emotional hires of an existing coach or long time assistant who seems is owed a big break can detail a programs momentum.

yosef13

Unread post by yosef13 » Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:08 pm

appstatealum wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:59 pm
yosef13 wrote:
Yosef10 wrote:
yosef69 wrote:

Wrong. Some of us have a different set of values. I’ve turned down multiple opportunities to interview for better positions at my company that paid substantially more because I had originally made a commitment to achieve a goal in my current position before I made my next move. I’ve continued that for 15 years and it has worked out for me. Case in point, my recent promotion was highlighted by leadership acknowledging that very thing and that was what separated me from the rest.

I don’t blame Drink, I blame the College Football world for letting their culture become like this. When the Jimmy Sextons of the world are the ones holding the puppet strings, loyalty and integrity go out the window.
Were you offered over 5 times your current salary?

Seattleapp

Unread post by Seattleapp » Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:15 pm

citroknight wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:01 pm
Saint3333 wrote:
Signing day is 12/18, I’ll in on Clark. His resume includes 7 years as an assistant at FBS programs including OC/AHC and then four at App.

We could go after another P5 OC or DC or FCS HC, but they would be short term rental with the talent we have coming back.
Clark very well could be the guy, but it's always good to interview external candidates and actually reach that conclusion. Emotional hires of an existing coach or long time assistant who seems is owed a big break can detail a programs momentum.

As opposed to the flavor of the week and going through this every year? I get your point but this completely sums up why the 36 year old ladder climber is not really good for a program like ours. We’ve become who we’ve become by having loyalty and stability. Drink fell into a Golden situation to further his career. He got lucky. Personally I think Missouri is moronic to pay him that amount of money with basically no established record. No one even knows if he can recruit yet or not, but I digress. We can’t afford for this to become the norm. Boise hires from within so their culture stays consistent. We’d be wise to do the same and not chase the shiny red ball of candidates

AppAlum1

Unread post by AppAlum1 » Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:16 pm

I think Drink is making a mistake. Just ask Sparky.

moonshine

Unread post by moonshine » Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:18 pm

appstatealum wrote:
Think the program could make it known that App won't be hiring anymore of Sexton's clients?!? :lol:
Picked up via free agency by the High Country All-Stars

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:21 pm

yosef13 wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:08 pm
appstatealum wrote:
yosef13 wrote:
Yosef10 wrote:
yosef69 wrote:

Were you offered over 5 times your current salary?
I got offered just over 3x my salary to go back to the company I worked at through college to be a manager and I turned it down because I knew their culture was poor. So....I can’t relate to millions, but the point is I don’t mind betting on myself to fulfill my commitment and know that I will have the same or even a better opportunity in the future. It wasn’t easy, especially when nothing is available when you are ready to go, but if you do the right thing, good things will come back around.
The Appalachian State

General Moore

Unread post by General Moore » Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:54 pm

Many of us that live in Boone could do much better than we do here but that is our choice, the choice of people that love it up here.
Making nearly a million bucks a year to coach the Mountaineers and live in Boone would be a dream job for most of us, but not for Drink.
I cant help but say that I always felt uneasy about him but at the same time was trying to buy into him... easy to say now I know but I bet there are many of you that got the same feeling.
I am all in for Shawn Clark now after this experiment. Sure they will go through the b.s. process but we need a Mountaineer back in charge again.
The players probably love him because he brings the best out in what they have to offer and doesnt forced them to do it his way. That is what makes a good coach in my opinion.
#Clark2020!
And go APP!!

citroknight
School: UCF

Unread post by citroknight » Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:03 pm

Seattleapp wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:15 pm
citroknight wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:01 pm
Saint3333 wrote:

As opposed to the flavor of the week and going through this every year? I get your point but this completely sums up why the 36 year old ladder climber is not really good for a program like ours. We’ve become who we’ve become by having loyalty and stability. Drink fell into a Golden situation to further his career. He got lucky. Personally I think Missouri is moronic to pay him that amount of money with basically no established record. No one even knows if he can recruit yet or not, but I digress. We can’t afford for this to become the norm. Boise hires from within so their culture stays consistent. We’d be wise to do the same and not chase the shiny red ball of candidates
When Petersen left Boise they hired one of their former players who had spent time under him but he wasn't a direct internal hire per say. He had been gone from Boise 3 years, 2 as OC at Texas and one as HC at Arkansas State. They didn't stick with a current coach as is usually the emotional pull for players. If a program wants the best, you have to always look at all options because it's not guaranteed one of the current assistant coaches can truly be the guy.

Ncmtn

Unread post by Ncmtn » Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:04 pm

yosef13 wrote:
Yosef10 wrote:
yosef69 wrote:

Wrong. Some of us did see the writing on the wall months ago that he would be offered from P5s this season and NO I would not have done the same thing. $750k a year is more than 99% of America makes. I would be happy as hell with that. At some point you’re making enough money where having more of it really doesn’t change your life all that much. Plus that salary would have grown with continued success. I’m so damn tired of everyone saying “we all would have done the same thing”. It’s amazing how many people think more money Is the only fucking thing important in life. $750k +. Are you kidding me. That’s more than enough for anybody in this world to survive very very comfortably and provide for their families for the rest of their lives with even the most basic of investing

NavyApp

Unread post by NavyApp » Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:14 pm

Can we all please take a breath and calm down a bit. We all have opinions on how this was handled, the good and the bad. Pretty safe to say the consensus right now is we will be fine. But can we all please stop bickering like school children? Please! We all have different viewpoints on this subject of staying or going and chasing money. If we have something of note for the board or just some feeling on the subject go for it and share it, but let's stop attacking each other because we disagree on what is for most of us a scenario we will never encounter!

I leave you guys and gals with this quote from a famous philosopher "we all we got, we all we need" -Darryton Evans
FREQS AND GEEKS!

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:16 pm

AppAlum1 wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:16 pm
I think Drink is making a mistake. Just ask Sparky.
Difference is Sparky didn’t make $3M total from SC much less the $16m Drink is guaranteed.

He is changing his families lives for generations and he can coach again and work himself back into a HC role. He’ll only be 40 at the end of the Mizz contract.

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:24 pm

Shawn Clark is an O-line coach. Does anyone have any idea what his offensive philosophy is? High power -- ball control -- power I (doubtful, just asking)? I'd love for it to be coach Clark, but I don't know his competency to be a head coach. Hire whoever gives us the best chance to win.
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

yosef13

Unread post by yosef13 » Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:38 pm

Ncmtn wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:04 pm
yosef13 wrote:
Yosef10 wrote:
yosef69 wrote:

Wrong. Some of us did see the writing on the wall months ago that he would be offered from P5s this season and NO I would not have done the same thing. $750k a year is more than 99% of America makes. I would be happy as hell with that. At some point you’re making enough money where having more of it really doesn’t change your life all that much. Plus that salary would have grown with continued success. I’m so damn tired of everyone saying “we all would have done the same thing”. It’s amazing how many people think more money Is the only fucking thing important in life. $750k +. Are you kidding me. That’s more than enough for anybody in this world to survive very very comfortably and provide for their families for the rest of their lives with even the most basic of investing
You saw this coming in October? After 6 games with 6 to go? Really? You need to change your name to Nostradamus.

That's great that you would turn down that kind of money. Seriously it is honorable. But that is not how the real world works.

Thank you to Coach Drink. I will be pissed at you for a long time, but I get it. Moving on.

Apptrain

Unread post by Apptrain » Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:39 pm

Ncmtn wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:04 pm
yosef13 wrote:
Yosef10 wrote:
yosef69 wrote:

Thank you

Yosefus

Unread post by Yosefus » Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:43 pm

Can't blame Drink for leaving. He got it while the getting was good. Good luck to him.
I did not make game and had to watch from the big screen, my daughter did with 6 of her friends so we did represent.

Something I saw late in the game made me question Drink being successful at App long term. They had a close shot of Zac looking to the sideline for the play call. As soon as he got the signal I saw him shake his head like here we go again. I immediately thought this will go up the middle. Guess what..it was Evan's up the middle. The play did go 7-8 yards on a 1st down but it made me wonder. Could Drink sustain success with his own recruiting and play calling. Something minute and maybe off base for this thread just something I did notice. Did anyone else see that?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”