Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Thank you Drink

AppOrange
School: Appalachian State

Re: Thank you Drink

Unread post by AppOrange » Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:54 pm

hapapp wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:24 pm
I'll not defend his departure, he showed his immaturity and certainly has a ways to go as a coach in terms of his personal relationships. I'm certainly no fanboy and was never enamored with him. He never achieved the rarified status that some proclaimed when he was hired. I've been chill about his leaving and did not lose any sleep over his departure. I just felt some folks were being a bit over the top in trying to find fault with everything the man said or did. He's gone and we have a new coach, one who has united the entire fanbase. It's time to move past the previous staff and give our support for the new one. And, I hope that's were our focus and energy resides.
This response is a little to practical for the mob. Heavens for bid someone make a few mistakes in what they say or how they coach in year 1, the mob never makes any mistakes. We look like spoiled brats talking so much crap about a 12-1 coach. Thank you Drink for your part in our 12-1 season, many App Fans do appreciate your efforts. Quote and disagree all you want mob, I’m moving on 100% to support our new coach, even if he makes a few mistakes.

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:48 am

I think he was not the best fit for our culture, however, he did a lot of good things while he was here. Some would argue that anyone could have done the same, but I disagree. Some could have eff'd things up majorly. Some are things he did, some are things he didn't do (which was good)
Here is my list:

1. Able to keep the majority of the roster in tact with no major defects.
2. Kept Clark, Watts, Smith and Gas on staff as well as bringing other talented coaches on such as Stewart, Link, and Roof.
3. Does not appear he will take a lot of coaches with him...so far rumors to be just Link and Smith.
4. Did not change the defense or offense too much from what existed so transition after he leaves should be seamless.
5. Went 12-1, including two P5 wins and 2 wins over a great UL team while continuing the SunBelt Conference Championship streak going. Only lost to rival, but no WTF losses
6. Has vowed to continue to win the SunBelt Championship while coaching in the SEC
7. Did not prevent (to an extent) major players from obtaining maximum performances
8. He made us $800k by leaving after one year. Had he stayed another year, we'd have gotten less money and had a new coach coming into a situation where we have almost an entirely new offensive starting roster. That $800k was also likely instrumental in DG not leaving this year.

app97

Unread post by app97 » Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:52 am

NattyBumppo'sRevenge wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:48 am
I think he was not the best fit for our culture, however, he did a lot of good things while he was here. Some would argue that anyone could have done the same, but I disagree. Some could have eff'd things up majorly. Some are things he did, some are things he didn't do (which was good)
Here is my list:

2. Kept Clark, Watts, Smith and Gas on staff as well as bringing other talented coaches on such as Stewart, Link, and Roof.
3. Does not appear he will take a lot of coaches with him...so far rumors to be just Link and Smith.
4. Did not change the defense or offense too much from what existed so transition after he leaves should be seamless.
5. Went 12-1, including two P5 wins and 2 wins over a great UL team while continuing the SunBelt Conference Championship streak going. Only lost to rival, but no WTF losses
6. Has vowed to continue to win the SunBelt Championship while coaching in the SEC
7. Did not prevent (to an extent) major players from obtaining maximum performances
8. He made us $800k by leaving after one year. Had he stayed another year, we'd have gotten less money and had a new coach coming into a situation where we have almost an entirely new offensive starting roster. That $800k was also likely instrumental in DG not leaving this year.
Smith, as in DJ Smith?

WataugaMan

Unread post by WataugaMan » Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:07 am

Excellent Point!

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:43 am

app97 wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:52 am
Here is my list:

Smith, as in DJ Smith?
That was a rumor floating around, It'd be a great opportunity for him to get coaching experience outside of App much in the same way Satterfield did. If it works out and he comes back to App in a few years, we could also thank Drink for that.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:41 pm

hapapp wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:55 pm
bcoach wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:25 pm
I am reading about what a good coach he is. What exactly did he do? You think Satt, or Shawn, would not have won those P5s? Lets get real. I am very glad we won them but unc is not Penn State and S Carolina is not Georgia, Tenn, Clemson or Michigan. As far as I can see the only thing he really did was put just a little hitch in a great QB. Other than that he put it in neutral and let it coast down hill. If that is all we needed him to do we could have gotten someone much cheaper to sit and watch. As some one earlier said we didn't score like should have or could have. My personal opinion is that he put a governor on a race engine. I wish him no ill will I just don't see him as some great coach. Maybe if he stays somewhere more than 10 minutes he will become one.
Obviously, the jury is out on the long term success he has as a coach. But, if he had accomplished anything less than what Scott had done previously, he would have been marked a failure by many of us. So, its not like there was no pressure. I seriously doubt that he thought such an opportunity would come this quickly or so soon. I have no doubt that when he took this job he didn't foresee being here more than a couple of years. The opportunity just came before anyone expected it to. I can't fault him for taking the opportunity.
I don't fault him for leaving at all. My point is that I really can not figure out what he did that supposedly makes him a great coach. I just can't point to something that he did and say " see he did this and we are so much better now". That is my only point. In managing companies or in the one that I own I have never asked someone to stay when they expressed a desire to leave. If you feel you want to leave you need to do it because if you don't do it today you will do it tomorrow.

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:51 pm

One thing that stands out that Drink did better than SS was managing the game clock. One aspect that seemed to never work though, were his "gadget plays", maybe there was, but I can't recall one that ever was successful.
BLACK SATURDAY

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:20 pm

Black Saturday wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:51 pm
One thing that stands out that Drink did better than SS was managing the game clock. One aspect that seemed to never work though, were his "gadget plays", maybe there was, but I can't recall one that ever was successful.
I'm not sure I agree about the general clock management skills going to Drink. I know everybody said that ever since the UNC game, but I think he went conservative even earlier than Satterfield and it almost cost us. Fortunately, it didn't. He was perhaps better at using his time-outs strategically. Regardless, I hope he does well at Missouri. I have no ill will towards him and frankly, I've already moved on and gotten excitement about Clark.

Overcashed

Unread post by Overcashed » Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:27 pm

Black Saturday wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:51 pm
He did call a flea flicker for a TD that was pulled back because of some random penalty at the end of the first half of the Troy game. That's really the only successful trick play I remember, and it wasn't even successful on the scoreboard.

goapps93

Unread post by goapps93 » Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:12 pm

He also actually called timeouts at the end of the half to get the ball back and score in at least one game. Drove me crazy when Scott left timeouts on the board.
WE ARE YOSEF!

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:28 pm

goapps93 wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:12 pm
He also actually called timeouts at the end of the half to get the ball back and score in at least one game. Drove me crazy when Scott left timeouts on the board.
And snapping the ball in play when there was way too much time left giving the other team a chance.
BLACK SATURDAY

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”