Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

From Inside KBS

Gonzo
School: Appalachian State

Re: From Inside KBS

Unread post by Gonzo » Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:54 am

Last edited by Gonzo on Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:56 am

Ideas from someone whose never worked in a fundraising capacity: Sit student interns down with an alumni directory and cold call every Mountaineer in the world. Have them search for updated contact info and develop a system to make contact and maintain contact with all ASU alumni. There are fund-raising consultants that can set effective strategies in place for a fee. It pays for itself. Collect income statistics. Make a specific effort to recruit business school grads to Yosef. They have the most money. We have to do better!

I graduated in 2011 and I've never been solicited by Yosef or Appalachian State University as a graduate. My other alma mater asks for my money all the time. That's anecdotal, but it really makes me scratch my head. The high turnover I've read about in the thread might have something to do with the ineffectiveness of our staff given how apparently comparable it is to our peers. DG has made it clear dozens of times: App State Athletics are poorly funded. We will never break free of our glass ceiling until something fundamentally changes at the booster level.

Ozzies

Unread post by Ozzies » Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:40 pm

AppDawg made mention of the YC points system on page 2. He makes some good points. I’ve called the YC office a couple of times to get further clarification because the printed materials are not very detailed.

I think there should be points associated with ticket purchases. At the end of the day, ticket sales translates to increased revenue. We put to much emphasis on line item giving instead of total income.

Alumni A gives $500/year to YC and buys one season ticket at $210. That’s $710/year

Alumni B gives $250/year to YC and buys four season tickets at $210. The schools revenue from this guy is $1090. $380 more than A but A is going to get better parking, seats, etc. Now add more concession sales and I think we’ll find Alumni B is more valuable to our overall donor goals.

Is this really an equitable system?

Heck, I just learned about how you can get credit today for future points by “committing” for future giving. It’s things like this that needs to be put out there. I’m not arguing if this is fair or not but I would argue it probably increases donations but the vast majority are unaware

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:52 pm

Ozzies wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:40 pm
AppDawg made mention of the YC points system on page 2. He makes some good points. I’ve called the YC office a couple of times to get further clarification because the printed materials are not very detailed.

I think there should be points associated with ticket purchases. At the end of the day, ticket sales translates to increased revenue. We put to much emphasis on line item giving instead of total income.

Alumni A gives $500/year to YC and buys one season ticket at $210. That’s $710/year

Alumni B gives $250/year to YC and buys four season tickets at $210. The schools revenue from this guy is $1090. $380 more than A but A is going to get better parking, seats, etc. Now add more concession sales and I think we’ll find Alumni B is more valuable to our overall donor goals.

Heck, I just learned about how you can get credit today for future points by “committing” for future giving. It’s things like this that needs to be put out there. I’m not arguing if this is fair or not but I would argue it probably increases donations but the vast majority are unaware.
The fly in that ointment is that ticket revenue goes for general operations, funding non-revenue sports, facilities maintenance, coaching and administrative salaries, fringe benefits and debt service on facilities bonds and etc--not to student-athlete scholarships except to pick up the difference between what the Yosef Club raises for scholarships and the actual cost of scholarships. Student fee money is in there somewhere--but all sources together leave us painfully low in total operational funds.
Last edited by asu66 on Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

AppDawg

Unread post by AppDawg » Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:03 pm

asu66 wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:52 pm
Ozzies wrote:

Heck, I just learned about how you can get credit today for future points by “committing” for future giving. It’s things like this that needs to be put out there. I’m not arguing if this is fair or not but I would argue it probably increases donations but the vast majority are unaware
The fly in that ointment is that ticket revenue goes for general operations, facilities maintenance, coaching and administrative salaries, fringe benefits and debt service on facilities bonds and etc--not to student-athlete scholarships.
However, since scholly’s are not fully funded, some of those “operation” dollars from ticket sales are likely repurposed to cover the scholarship shortfall. In our current position, every dollar helps. No matter which bucket it is put in.

We need a wholistic view and not multiple silos “mine - yours” / “Yosef - Athletics - Academia”

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:25 pm

AppDawg wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:03 pm
asu66 wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:52 pm
Ozzies wrote:

The fly in that ointment is that ticket revenue goes for general operations, facilities maintenance, coaching and administrative salaries, fringe benefits and debt service on facilities bonds and etc--not to student-athlete scholarships.
However, since scholly’s are not fully funded, some of those “operation” dollars from ticket sales are likely repurposed to cover the scholarship shortfall. In our current position, every dollar helps. No matter which bucket it is put in.

We need a wholistic view and not multiple silos “mine - yours” / “Yosef - Athletics - Academia”
You're probably never going to see that "view" unless you're a member of a university advisory committee of some sort or a member of the Board of Trustees. It's not published because every special interest group on campus would use it for furthering their own cause. It is a public record, so you could probably make an appointment and go see budget documents--but not make copies to carry out. Every program and department on campus has its own budget. If you had a month, you might be able to arrange to see the big stuff. Unless you're an accounting major it would be a lot of Greek to get your arms around. No one would have time to explain it to a lay visitor.
Last edited by asu66 on Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:30 pm

As a someone who has been a season ticket holder in every App sport that offers season tickets, I can say without a doubt I've gotten more calls, emails and letters to renew those tickets than from the Yosef Club. Heck, I get letters from App reguarly to donate to the general fund.

If Kermit Smith can write personal letters to baseball season ticket holders, Yosef Club can do more.

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:12 pm

IMO, every athletic press conference, broadcast, or show on the internet, radio or television should include a spot for Yosef Club staff, Yosef Club members or student athletes to talk about what YC does for Appalachian. What it means to be a Mountaineer athlete or YC supporter of Mountaineer athletics. Encouraging all people to join YC. Be more than just a Fan, make an impact. Be part of of our success on and off the field by donating today. Finally thank YC members for supporting our beloved Mountaineers.
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:05 pm

WASU 93 wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:52 pm
/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:39 pm
Reads a lot of stuff on this message board however just decided to officially join yesterday? Everything being said is no shock, and honestly we've been saying on here for years. Charlie Cobb and his people that mattered never thought we'd join FBS and take off like this, gaining so much recognition. Hell, nobody on here saw this success coming this early. Problem is, we've lost two coaches who went to P5 programs, because we can't afford to keep anyone around. Reading Clark's contract details, while it's way more than I make, it's kind of embarrassing that given our success we can't afford to give him more. I think his love for App State and desire to be here long term which unlike Drink I actually believe, is a major reason why he got the job. D.G. knew we'd be losing coaches almost annually if we went with other candidates.

While I agree that the best way to spread Yosef Club donation requests is through word of mouth by people like us, the university needs to do a much better job promoting.
Now, is the time for a really solid Marketing and Promotions Team to be formed.

Football, our stock is as high as it's ever been. I know DG's not a fan of mini-plans, but there's a need. Give full season-ticket holders a decent discount and the best parking. Put together two or three game mini plans that allow busier families to get up the mountain and have consistent seats and parking. Encourage tailgating and provide some in-stadium perks (concession deals), family four-packs, etc. Also, put together a in-stadium, media, digital package that is attractive to ASU friendly businesses off-mountain. Build off the momentum that we have.

Basketball. Kerns is building momentum. The Sun Belt's schedule is actually smart, with Saturday conference games. Put packages together that combine a Saturday basketball game with a night on the mountain and skiing/sledding for a family.

Per the 2017 Knight Commission Report:
http://cafidatabase.knightcommission.or ... ion_data-1

Appalachian State had $35.06M in revenue (vs. $35.07M in expenses)
$11.81M (34%) of the Revenue comes from Student Fees)
$9.45M (27%) in Institutional/Government Support
$4.47M (12.75%) from NCAA/Conference Distributions + Media Rights and Post-Season Football
$2.92M (8%) in Donor Contributions
$2.49M (7%) in Ticket Sales
$1.89M (5%) in Competition Guarantees
$1.13M (3%) in Corporate Sponsorship, Advertising and Licensing
$0.9M (3%) in other Revenues

Hence, if we could add $500K in Ticket Sales, $1M in Donor Contributions and $500K in Corporate Sponsorships and Advertising it would really make a difference.

And, by the way to show the comparison vs. a P5 School.

NC State had $83.74M in Revenue (vs. $86.92M in Expenses)
$6.55M (8%) of the Revenue comes from Student Fees)
$0.0M (0%) in Institutional/Government Support
$32.24M (39%) from NCAA/Conference Distributions + Media Rights and Post-Season Football
$15.08M (18%) in Donor Contributions
$21.22M (25%) in Ticket Sales
$0.2M (0%) in Competition Guarantees
$4.47M (5%) in Corporate Sponsorship, Advertising and Licensing
$3.98M (5%) in other Revenues

App State pays $5.92M (17% of Expenses) to Coaching Compensation and $4.3M (12% of Expenses) to Support and Admin Compensation with Severance. $590K goes to recruiting.
NC State pays 17.36M (20% of their Expenses to Coaching Compensation and $15.81M (18% of Expenses) to Support and Admin Compensation with Severance. They spend $1.97M on Recruiting.

UNC-Chapel Hill had $96.55M in Revenue and $96.54M in Expenses. Their Coaching Compensation, Support and Admin Compensation and Recruiting numbers are similar to NC State.

The University of South Carolina had $136.03M in Revenue and $129.32M in Expenses.
That is embarrassing.

Ozzies

Unread post by Ozzies » Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:41 pm

Fill KBS. Let’s use 30,000 as the capacity. Figure 10,000 for students leaving 20,000 for paid seating. 20k @ $210/season ticket is 4.2 million. This doesn’t include any YC dollars. I don’t give a rats A$$ what line item the revenue hits, generate the revenue! How it’s allocated is just a detail. The bigger the pot of money, the more pieces you can fund

BooneKarate

Unread post by BooneKarate » Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:35 pm

asu66 wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:59 am
Stonewall wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:47 pm
asu66 wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:57 pm
From my long career in HR comes a point that needs, at least. some consideration. We're on page five of a thread triggered by "ASU," an anonymous "contributor" who has been a member of our forum for four days and who has six total posts with his/her first one coming about mid-day on Jan 1.

This person has had quite a lot to say (much of it negative) and little or nothing to back it up. Said person's written comments are not unlike those that might be made by a disgruntled former employee wanting to create a stir. It seems to me that quite a few among us have been willing (up until now) to accept everything this person has said very directly or has implied as the "gospel truth."

Comments like "treating people like s**t" and "making people work excessive overtime" among many, raise questions for me about the veracity of the claims and the actual intent of the "contributor." Both of those phrases imply that someone in a supervisory position has imposed "something unwanted or lacking in fairness" upon a subordinate. Trust me, Appalachian has a well-used and effective grievance policy and procedure for resolving matters like this.

Even the thread title "From inside KBS" implies that the "unfair or unwanted treatment" occurred from within the football staff, the strength and conditioning staff or the track and field staff and/or the administrator(s) of same. From there, the number of persons with "supervisory responsibilities" is limited to a small, finite group of people.

There's much more to this "thread-from-out-of-the-clear-blue" than is being related to us by "ASU."
Doesn’t quite pass the smell test does it Mr Parker ?
Like an outdoor fish market in the mid-day August sun. :?
a few thoughts on this actually.... "From inside KBS" means nothing. It's saying that this person was on the inside and has some inside knowledge. Everyone on here is a contributor. Just like yourself. But you don't seem to be a fan of what this person said so instead of a contributor they're a "contributor".

If you have a solid HR background (which I'm trusting that you do cause I have no reason to believe otherwise), then why doesn't App do exit interviews? If you want to know if this passes the sniff test, then why not reach out to some of the others who left? We all know turnover is an issue in athletic administrators. Call some of the guys and gals who left to see if this is true for multiple individuals. If you're in HR at App, you'll have their information. Now that they are gone and don't need the recommendation anymore, I'm sure they'll be honest with you.

And I'd rather this be an out of the blue statement than a just fired yesterday and blowing off steam statement. At least they've had time to consciously think through their statements.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:27 pm

Gonzo wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:56 am
Ideas from someone whose never worked in a fundraising capacity: Sit student interns down with an alumni directory and cold call every Mountaineer in the world. Have them search for updated contact info and develop a system to make contact and maintain contact with all ASU alumni. There are fund-raising consultants that can set effective strategies in place for a fee. It pays for itself. Collect income statistics. Make a specific effort to recruit business school grads to Yosef. They have the most money. We have to do better!

I graduated in 2011 and I've never been solicited by Yosef or Appalachian State University as a graduate. My other alma mater asks for my money all the time. That's anecdotal, but it really makes me scratch my head. The high turnover I've read about in the thread might have something to do with the ineffectiveness of our staff given how apparently comparable it is to our peers. DG has made it clear dozens of times: App State Athletics are poorly funded. We will never break free of our glass ceiling until something fundamentally changes at the booster level.
Personally get a call from the Foundation about once a year and also mailings soliciting. You must be off the radar.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:40 pm

I told S. Mauney after she called me several times I appreciated the reach out so much but I’ve been giving as much as I can for years. And will continue to make 5 year pledges and try to increase. No need for a visit.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian General Discussion”