Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Who stays, who goes?

The Rock
School: Appalachian State

Re: Who stays, who goes?

Unread post by The Rock » Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:29 pm

I understand all that, I guess my point was if Jones wasnt the best qualified to run the 3-4 defense then, why is he now? Even after woody left, Sloan was the next in line, then Brown.what has he leaned over the last 2 years under brown that has educated him on being a successful DC?

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:34 pm

Riddle me this....Who is the best 3-4 DC available, that wants to be at App and will do the job for what we can afford to pay?
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

AppDub

Unread post by AppDub » Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:39 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:27 pm
AppDub wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:08 pm
AppStateNews wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:13 pm
AppDub wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:07 pm
No to Jones as DC!
Why do you say that? Because of his first go at it?

You have to realize he was trying to run a traditional 3-4 with 4-3 guys. Now that he's spent time in our current 3-4, knows the best way to run it with our style of recruit (not traditional 3-4 by any means), i think it's going to be a completely different situation this time around.

This is assuming he is in fact DC/co-DC.
A very good point and it could definitely be a better go around this time. Maybe I'm being unfairly pessimistic, but I would just hate for us to take a step back after what has been accomplished to this point. Maybe I'm getting hung up on attracting a bigger name with proven success, but I'll trust Clark on his decision either way. Truthfully, I'd feel equally as good if not better if Gas is named D.C. over Jones. Thanks for the very well stated clarification around the 3-4 versus 4-3. Hadn't really considered it prior.
Just curious but what about Gas makes you believe that he would be better than Jones as DC?

Not sure he would be. My logic, albeit it possibly flawed, is that I would be more inclined to take a chance on an up and comer who many on here have said is a future talent before I would be fine with someone who struggled in the role previously. Truth be told, I'm not sure I love either of the two and am ready to say that they are the best a top 20 program could get. However, I certainly think both have talent. This is all simply my opinion. As to who is the best for the gig, again that is Clark's call and I will support it.

AppDub

Unread post by AppDub » Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:49 pm

Appstate88 wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:34 pm
Riddle me this....Who is the best 3-4 DC available, that wants to be at App and will do the job for what we can afford to pay?
Surely Bud Foster is rested up by now! Kidding of course.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:37 am

If Jones is in fact the new DC, I will be hoping he succeeds and supporting him. Lots of folks have doubts (including me) because of his last tenure as DC but he has had years of further grooming since then. Coaches continue to learn and develop just like players do. The situation is very different. He would no longer be implementing a system. There is a big difference between implementing and maintaining/developing a program. Clark has been almost universally endorsed as a great choice for head coach. If he taps Jones, then I'll trust him to make a good choice and build a support system that will help him succeed. I really hope we don't have the sustained negativity that we have had from some towards Roof.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:20 am

Appstate88 wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:34 pm
It isn’t as simple as finding someone that can run a 3-4. We run a very different 3-4 in terms of personnel. It would take someone who understands that and wants to build on the way it is done.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:35 am

AppDub wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:39 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
AppDub wrote:
AppStateNews wrote:
AppDub wrote:
No to Jones as DC!

You have to realize he was trying to run a traditional 3-4 with 4-3 guys. Now that he's spent time in our current 3-4, knows the best way to run it with our style of recruit (not traditional 3-4 by any means), i think it's going to be a completely different situation this time around.

A very good point and it could definitely be a better go around this time. Maybe I'm being unfairly pessimistic, but I would just hate for us to take a step back after what has been accomplished to this point. Maybe I'm getting hung up on attracting a bigger name with proven success, but I'll trust Clark on his decision either way. Truthfully, I'd feel equally as good if not better if Gas is named D.C. over Jones. Thanks for the very well stated clarification around the 3-4 versus 4-3. Hadn't really considered it prior.
Just curious but what about Gas makes you believe that he would be better than Jones as DC?

Not sure he would be. My logic, albeit it possibly flawed, is that I would be more inclined to take a chance on an up and comer who many on here have said is a future talent before I would be fine with someone who struggled in the role previously. Truth be told, I'm not sure I love either of the two and am ready to say that they are the best a top 20 program could get. However, I certainly think both have talent. This is all simply my opinion. As to who is the best for the gig, again that is Clark's call and I will support it.
Fair enough. There is one statement that I see that I would like to expound upon. This isn’t directed at you per say, but to anyone that may feel the same way that you do. I understand the sentiment about being a Top 20 team and we should be able to get coaches, and players, that fit that status. But it doesn’t work that way. We are a program that achieved a Top 20 ranking this season. There are no guarantees that it happens next year. We don’t automatically get more money and resources for that status We got there through doing the most with what we have. The football program is revered in the coaching community as a good culture and a stable place to be. Clark is getting inquiries about open positions from coaches around the country. But that is happening because of the culture here and not from being a Top 20 team. As for recruits, we may get some interest from some kids that are perceived to be better, but the process and evaluation won’t change. Bottom line, we will keep doing what we are doing because that’s how we became successful.

AppDub

Unread post by AppDub » Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:26 am

Yosef84 wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:37 am
If Jones is in fact the new DC, I will be hoping he succeeds and supporting him. Lots of folks have doubts (including me) because of his last tenure as DC but he has had years of further grooming since then. Coaches continue to learn and develop just like players do. The situation is very different. He would no longer be implementing a system. There is a big difference between implementing and maintaining/developing a program. Clark has been almost universally endorsed as a great choice for head coach. If he taps Jones, then I'll trust him to make a good choice and build a support system that will help him succeed. I really hope we don't have the sustained negativity that we have had from some towards Roof.
I hear you loud and clear. I'm not naive to think that just because we achieved a top 20 ranking, that we have arrived. Just saying that other top maybe young, maybe older in the twighlight of their career coaching talent that may have not been in the play in the past as options, may now be. Wow that was a lot of "mays" in a huge run on sentence. You get the point. Not being negative and certainly dont want to come off that way. Just as I always wish for and try to provide for my own family, I want the same for my App family when it comes to this program. As I said before, I trust Clark to spear head that and make the right call. Doesn't mean it will take away all of my questions or angst. #cautiously optimistic. Appreciate all of your points.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:51 am

AppDub wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
AppDub wrote:
AppStateNews wrote:
AppDub wrote:
No to Jones as DC!

Gas has been hyped by a lot of people around the program for a few years as the next greatest thing in defense, that includes overlapping time with Dale Jones. I don’t know if he would be better than Jones at it, but people close to the situation seem to think he would. There just may be a correlation between our defense fighting the ship and Gasp being moved from the booth to the field to do the between play adjustments etc? Maybe....
The Appalachian State

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:45 am

appstatealum wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:51 am
AppDub wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
AppDub wrote:
AppStateNews wrote:

Gas has been hyped by a lot of people around the program for a few years as the next greatest thing in defense, that includes overlapping time with Dale Jones. I don’t know if he would be better than Jones at it, but people close to the situation seem to think he would. There just may be a correlation between our defense fighting the ship and Gasp being moved from the booth to the field to do the between play adjustments etc? Maybe....
I could see them being co-DC's with Jones in the booth and game planning, with Gas on the sideline and play-calling

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:10 pm

Looks like he worked under iron mike. Seems like a solid hire
Last edited by The Rock on Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:11 pm

The Rock wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:10 pm
Just saw this. Not a name that was on anyone's public radar (on here, anyway).
Give 'em hell!

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:16 pm

Someone with an App connection who has lots of experience elsewhere.

TheMoody1

Unread post by TheMoody1 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:23 pm

HighPointApp

Unread post by HighPointApp » Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:25 pm

I am sooo disappointed our board didn't guess this guy. Makes me not want to trust what I read on here.
Give 'em Hell!
Class of ‘96

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:55 pm

Greenhalgh verbally agreed but then GaSo ponied up a lot of cash. Kent didn't get approved by Gillin. Bielaniec showed his interest late in the search and Clark and Gillin jumped all over it -- that's a good sign.
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:03 pm

AppStateNews wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:55 pm
Greenhalgh verbally agreed but then GaSo ponied up a lot of cash. Kent didn't get approved by Gillin. Bielaniec showed his interest late in the search and Clark and Gillin jumped all over it -- that's a good sign.
What was his concern with Kent?

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:24 pm

The Rock wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:03 pm
AppStateNews wrote:
HR Police here...whatever gets posted here is strictly hearsay; and therefore worthless. Those admin conversations are strictly confidential. If they got back to the wrong person/persons, problems of the legal sort could result for university personnel. Let's not go there.
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:26 pm

Could have been salary... I like taking S&C guys who want to improve their lot. I like this guy.

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:42 pm

The Rock wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:03 pm
AppStateNews wrote:
Long story short, Mcelwain threw Kent under the bus at Florida.
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”