Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

FCS National Championship Game

AppStFan1
School: Appalachian State

Re: FCS National Championship Game

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:55 pm

Rekdiver wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:59 pm
Not meaning to be elitist here but I didn’t realize how irrelevant FCS football was until I quit looking for scores in 2015.
You are right it is not relevant and I realized it back when we played FCS but hated we did not have more coverage. If not for NDSU dynasty being a big story and them beating P5 teams nobody would talk about FCS. That, money limitations, and knowing we were gonna end up playing a bunch of private schools instead of schools like us was why I wanted to move up. I watch FCS some and appreciate it but overall the division really does not get much attention.

Could you imagine being a NAIA or D3 school fan? They don't even show the NAIA title game on national TV anymore and the only D2 games on TV are the last couple rounds of playoffs and depending on your region you may get some on local TV. National TV really does not care about anything but FBS unless the FCS team is playing a FBS team or it is the last couple rounds of the playoffs.

AppfaninCAALand

Unread post by AppfaninCAALand » Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:19 pm

Rekdiver wrote:
Not meaning to be elitist here but I didn’t realize how irrelevant FCS football was until I quit looking for scores in 2015.
I bumped into one of my kid's classmate's dad at a school event this week who graduated from JMU and with whom I used to talked FCS football with a few years ago. I was suprised to realize not only did I not know the FCS championship game was this weekend but I had also forgotten JMU was in it despite regularly listening to local sports radio here in the second largest JMU alumni base in the US. It hadn't occurred to me until that moment just how irrelevant FCS football was, to me at least.

asu1978

Unread post by asu1978 » Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:59 pm

FCS = JV football.I work with a WCU grad,every time he gets above "his raisen" I remind him.He doesn't have an answer. :lol:

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:39 pm

Rekdiver wrote:
Same, but in fairness, I wasn’t exactly locked in on Sun Belt football before we joined and I doubt many others were either.

MrCraig

Unread post by MrCraig » Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:13 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:55 pm
Rekdiver wrote:
You are right it is not relevant and I realized it back when we played FCS but hated we did not have more coverage. If not for NDSU dynasty being a big story and them beating P5 teams nobody would talk about FCS. That, money limitations, and knowing we were gonna end up playing a bunch of private schools instead of schools like us was why I wanted to move up. I watch FCS some and appreciate it but overall the division really does not get much attention.

Could you imagine being a NAIA or D3 school fan? They don't even show the NAIA title game on national TV anymore and the only D2 games on TV are the last couple rounds of playoffs and depending on your region you may get some on local TV. National TV really does not care about anything but FBS unless the FCS team is playing a FBS team or it is the last couple rounds of the playoffs.
My dad played football for Delta State, a D2 school in Mississippi. They have had some very successful seasons, but the only time he gets to watch them is if they make it deep in the playoffs, if he goes to a game live, or if they stream the game on YouTube. The YouTube streams are literally just a stationary camera placed in the press box with no commentary.

GreatAppSt

Unread post by GreatAppSt » Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:18 pm

There was a game?

IM4ASU

Unread post by IM4ASU » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:27 am

GreatAppSt wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:18 pm
There was a game?
I had no idea it was played yesterday. I try to watch all of the NC games (FBS, FCS, D2 and D3) if I know when they are going to be played. I heard no mention of the FCS game.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:47 am

WVAPPeer wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:31 pm
These are 2 good teams just like APP was back in the FCS days - not JV ball as some have claimed.
But it is JV ball. The gap has widened between FCS and FBS, even more than it was before. These teams are good, but you are also comparing them to each other, not versus a G5/P5 athlete. The reason why these teams stand out so much is because they have kept the funnel of strongest FCS talent coming through.
The Appalachian State

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:55 pm

It would be an interesting research project to scrape data off every website for every college team from NJCAA to NCCAA to NAIA and all of NCAA DIII, DII, and DI FCS and DI FBS and determine average heights, weights, and speeds for the different positions and do this as far back into the history as the internet allows and then go back and look into printed programs that would list some of this information.

There are a lot of intangibles that can not be listed nor even measured and the game has certainly changed over the years and decades but it would be interesting to see how the main numbers work out to see if just the numbers themselves show a bigger spread in the "talent" from years ago across the various levels of post-secondary amateur American gridiron football.

There is a PhD waiting in this research I bet for someone.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:55 pm

appstatealum wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:47 am
WVAPPeer wrote:
These are 2 good teams just like APP was back in the FCS days - not JV ball as some have claimed.
But it is JV ball. The gap has widened between FCS and FBS, even more than it was before. These teams are good, but you are also comparing them to each other, not versus a G5/P5 athlete. The reason why these teams stand out so much is because they have kept the funnel of strongest FCS talent coming through.
I didn't like belng called JV ball when App was FCS so I refuse to label today's programs in that manner - so what do you think these teams would do in the MAC and SB?
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

ah59396

Unread post by ah59396 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:59 pm

Y’all are crazy calling it JV. That was great football in front of a packed stadium on ABC.

As I’ve said before, I’m glad we moved up but I can still appreciate it.
YNWA

WVAPPeer

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:11 pm

and it was broadcast nationwide on Westwood One Radio - I listened to the end of it on radio
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:02 pm

I am pretty sure this memory is correct. Back in our FCS glory days it would irritate me that when I pulled up the ESPN college football page and scanned the lead articles there was nothing about App winning a NC. The announcers were talking about how FCS is the only level of college football that has a real playoff but in reality do they really need to play 4 rounds? Who is the lowest seeded team to ever win it? It was really exciting when we played but hardly anyone outside of our world knew about the playoffs or the NC.

I used to believe that our best teams could compete in the lower level G5 conferences but now I feel like lack of depth would have probably gotten us by the 8th game or so. Both of the big boy FCS powers have a few legit guys who could play up but a few injuries and it would be a different deal.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:11 pm

WVAPPeer wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:55 pm
appstatealum wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:47 am
WVAPPeer wrote:
I didn't like belng called JV ball when App was FCS so I refuse to label today's programs in that manner - so what do you think these teams would do in the MAC and SB?
I'm not disrespecting it at all. I'm just saying that level of play is a very different landscape than it was back at the height of Apps run. The FCS was at its peak in the mid to late 90s, had a resurgence with App and the three year run/Michigan stuff and then again with NDSt. To me, alot of the guys that used to be the faces of FCS are getting recruited to the new G5 and the FCS only has a handful of anchor teams getting talent. They may have fast guys who aren't big, or big guys who aren't fast.usually not guys who are both like you see more commonly at the FBS level. The FCS is just top heavy now.
The Appalachian State

WVAPPeer

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:56 pm

ND State has more guys playing bigger roles in the NFL than App
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:00 pm

NDSU very capable of being a Top 25 team BUT not gonna happen while FCS

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:24 pm

WVAPPeer wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:56 pm
They are such an outlier compared to the rest of FCS (and, that's not meant with any disrespect). They are the biggest program between Minneapolis and Boise, with only Montana. Montana State and maybe North Dakota as decent programs at the Northern Latitudes. Fargo is a progressive city right on the ND/Minnesota border, so they have good corporate support and a regional airport in town. The population of Fargo and West Fargo is over 150K and there is a good base of white collar business.
Minnesota only has one Division 1 Program (as does Wisconsin for that manner). Illinois only has the Illini, Northwestern and Northern Illinois in FBS,
The majority of their roster comes from ND, MN, WI and Illinois. Additionally, they are recruiting Florida and Georgia and have 11 players on the roster from those two states.
If they move up, they will be competitive and the gap between FBS and FCS will grow wider.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:42 am

People who argue against our top 25 ranking point to our overall schedule and say it’s weak due mainly to our conference. A NDSU or a JMU has caught lightening in a bottle over the years with a few nice FBS wins but both of their conference and non-conference schedules don’t cut it. Back in our FCS days even a 12th seed in the playoffs might make a run. We didn’t always have the early round mismatches and the same two teams didn’t dominate every season. Both of those teams could easily move to G5 and could fill out their rosters with added talent. I believe the NDSU QB was a 3 star who passed on other offers to go there. We get so caught up with the FBS NC, bowls and rankings that we forget that for 99% of the kids out there they just want to play ball, get a free scholarship and simply enjoy their experience with no unrealistic professional aspirations.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:20 am

WVAPPeer wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:56 pm
Outside of Carson Wentz, who has yet to win anything in the NFL, most of their guys are just role players just like most G5 schools. At the beginning of the year, I believe I saw that we had 9 or so guys still active in the NFL and they had 6. As has been touched on on many threads over the last few years, the FCS has been dying a slow death with the growth of the G5 ranks. I for one am grateful that our leadership had the foresight to make the move when we did. Can the best FCS schools compete at the FBS level? Sure, for one or two games, but a season of cracking heads with the larger/faster athletes? No. Same reason why we talk about how we dominate the Sunbelt, but probably would go for less glamorous records if we were in a P5 conference.

My brother in law worked for the team back over a decade ago and I spent a lot of time around the team, fast forward to this class, which I've spent a lot of time around, the athletes just aren't the same. The trenches is where the biggest gap is, but there is a lot of size/speed disparities at key positions as well. Dexter Jackson was a fast dude at 5'9 182, but in comparison, Jalin Virgil may be just as fast and is 6'2 205. It's just different now.
Last edited by appstatealum on Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Appalachian State

WVAPPeer

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:45 am

Again, my original post was not a comparison of FCS to FBS - I think you have gotten a little off track - My original statement was NDS and JMU were two good teams who could be at least .500 in the SB and at the top of the MAC - that way all I was trying to say -
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Other Schools' Athletics”