Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

#19 In Final AP Poll

Lowcountry App
School: Appalachian State

#19 In Final AP Poll

Unread post by Lowcountry App » Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:02 am

Moved up one spot to 19 in the final AP poll. Memphis remains the highest ranked G5.

https://apnews.com/APTop25CollegeFootballPoll
Last edited by Lowcountry App on Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

citroknight
School: UCF

Re: #19 In Final AP Poll

Unread post by citroknight » Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:07 am

G5s
#17 Memphis
#19 App State
#20 Navy
#21 Cincinnati
#22 Air Force
#23 Boise State
#24 UCF

I knew we were on the fence, glad we sneaked in! 3 years in a row that UCF finished ranked. The best of times for our fans.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:14 am

Lowcountry App wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:02 am
Moved up one spot to 19 in the final AP poll. Memphis remains the highest ranked G5.

Two points behind #18 Michigan.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:07 am

Awesome. Of course the “way too early” top 25 has us noticeably missing with the usual 7-6 P5 teams on the list. Gotta fight our way in and up but we know the drill. Go Apps!

SayYesToTheRock

Unread post by SayYesToTheRock » Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:40 am

Love it!

Sad to see that after an 11-3 season, the Cajuns received just 2 votes from the AP. Shows the overall lack of respect for the Belt. Nothing to do but keep winning.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:51 am

I would love to see them use the final AP ranking as the first for next year. There should be no assumptions as to how a team will do the following season. LSU should remain number 1 until they lose despite the roster changes. Same for us- remain at 19 then move up or down depending on the results.

sixtoes9134

Unread post by sixtoes9134 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:56 am

Great day for the program!!!

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:09 am

hapapp wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:14 am
Lowcountry App wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:02 am

Two points behind #18 Michigan.
Oh the irony. :lol:

Apple@chin1

Unread post by Apple@chin1 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:20 am

IMO, this is much bigger than the Michigan win. That was one game. This is an entire season. Incredible accomplishment. Never been more proud to be a Mountaineer!

MAD Doctor

Unread post by MAD Doctor » Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:35 am

Caps off an amazing season. Going to savor it and not lose any sleep over the future, because we have an awesome university, football program, fan base, and winning culture. Today and every day, It's Great to Be a Mountaineer!

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:43 am

I’m lovin’ it. Go Apps!
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:48 am

I occasionally see some of the FCS-or-die people on twitter wonder why any school would want to make the move to FBS, saying there's nothing there to play for. Well, I'd say a ranking in the top 20 is a pretty good goal.

While I don't want to/intend to disparage FCS as lower-level football, the fact remains that it is not the highest level of the college game. Many people have a desire to test themselves against the best, and strive to do so on a consistent basis. I'm extremely pleased that our administration shares that desire and showed the forethought to push to new heights. Everyone associated with the athletic program, from DG on down to the student interns deserve a massive amount of credit for getting us here and achieving a sustained level of excellence. Well done.
Give 'em hell!

AppFan11

Unread post by AppFan11 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:51 am

It is great to be a Mountaineer. Us at 19 and Memphis at 17 is screwed up but it is hard to argue with ending the season as a top 20 team. It was an awesome year. It is crazy to think that within 5 years of FBS football that we are a top 20 program. Now onto Spring!

citroknight
School: UCF

Unread post by citroknight » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:56 am

BeauFoster wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:48 am
I occasionally see some of the FCS-or-die people on twitter wonder why any school would want to make the move to FBS, saying there's nothing there to play for. Well, I'd say a ranking in the top 20 is a pretty good goal.

While I don't want to/intend to disparage FCS as lower-level football, the fact remains that it is not the highest level of the college game. Many people have a desire to test themselves against the best, and strive to do so on a consistent basis. I'm extremely pleased that our administration shares that desire and showed the forethought to push to new heights. Everyone associated with the athletic program, from DG on down to the student interns deserve a massive amount of credit for getting us here and achieving a sustained level of excellence. Well done.
It's impossible for us in the G5 to make the CFP but a NY6 appearance and extended runs in the top 25 elevate a programs profile more than winning an FCS title could. Otherwise, FCS champs have to do something ridiculously noticeable like NDSU's dynasty or Apps Michigan victory.

VNova

Unread post by VNova » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:10 am

If this holds into the preseason poll (ha), and we beat Morgan+Wake, it’s a top 20 matchup against Wisconsin. That would be pretty legit 6 seasons into FBS.

Overcashed

Unread post by Overcashed » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:11 am

I understand how Memphis could be in front of us since they made the Cotton, but it doesn't mean that I'm not massively annoyed by it.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:12 am

19 is exactly where I was guessing. I was hoping we would jump over Memphis but I really didn't expect to. VERY PROUD to be a MOUNTAINEER!

I'm disappointed for UL but the problem is that they played 3 games against opponents where they could make a statement and they lost all three, even though they played tough. I definitely think that they are better than several teams who got more votes. Yes, it is probably a function of the SunBelt perception to some degree but I think it's more specific to Louisiana. If Troy had the same season, they would have been higher. Same might be true for Arkansas State but to a lesser degree. G5 teams other than AAC generally have to sustain excellence for 2 or 3 seasons before they get much notice from the AP voters.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:21 am

Yosef84 wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:12 am
19 is exactly where I was guessing. I was hoping we would jump over Memphis but I really didn't expect to. VERY PROUD to be a MOUNTAINEER!

I'm disappointed for UL but the problem is that they played 3 games against opponents where they could make a statement and they lost all three, even though they played tough. I definitely think that they are better than several teams who got more votes. Yes, it is probably a function of the SunBelt perception to some degree but I think it's more specific to Louisiana. If Troy had the same season, they would have been higher. Same might be true for Arkansas State but to a lesser degree. G5 teams other than AAC generally have to sustain excellence for 2 or 3 seasons before they get much notice from the AP voters.
On UL, I think it’s more your first point than any perception or bias issue. No Sun Belt team is getting ranked with three losses and zero P5 wins. They had a good season, but they had three chances to beat an opponent of note and they whiffed. Not to mention they were extremely lucky to escape with a win over ULM. Very good season, but simply not quite top 25 worthy.

JMappfan5

Unread post by JMappfan5 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:32 am

I am so proud of this program!!! This was another group of Seniors that exhibited outstanding leadership during a season of transition!!! I say it's great to be a Mountaineer!!!

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:38 am

citroknight wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:56 am
BeauFoster wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:48 am

It's impossible for us in the G5 to make the CFP but a NY6 appearance and extended runs in the top 25 elevate a programs profile more than winning an FCS title could. Otherwise, FCS champs have to do something ridiculously noticeable like NDSU's dynasty or Apps Michigan victory.
As it stands now (4 team playoff), you're completely correct - the odds of a G5 school making the playoff is probably worse than those of being struck by lightning while holding the winning Powerball jackpot ticket. Is that right or fair? Probably, honestly. Who here thinks that Appalachian, Memphis, Boise, etc was as good or better than either Clemson or LSU were last night? Every year there are going to be 3 or 4 real contenders for the title of best team in college football, and no school from G5 will likely ever have the talent ACROSS THE BOARD to match up with those guys. It's just called being realistic.

I honestly don't know that the playoff needs to be expanded past 4 teams. It would be nice to do so, and it would likely allow for an App (or UCF/Boise St./whoever) to be included many years. So that would be nice, and would give schools a "legitimate" opportunity at a title. But I doubt we see it happen.

The FCS championship is great for what it is. It allows schools who want (or are only able) to allocate less resources to athletics an opportunity to do so, while still providing a very entertaining product and an educational opportunity for the athletes. We all have different tastes and means, those schools either choose to be big fish in a smaller pond, or that's what they can justify based on whatever reasons.
Give 'em hell!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”