Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Who stays, who goes?

97APP
School: Appalachian State

Re: Who stays, who goes?

Unread post by 97APP » Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:35 am

No need to discredit Riley. From all accounts he was a good coach that understands offensive football. He has a lot of potential. He just accepted the OC position at a peer school that can offer more money and is in Texas (his home state). Good for him.

Looking forward to seeing who we hire. With our history and our returning talent, we shouldn't have too much trouble finding a replacement.
Today I Give My All for Appalachian State

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:05 pm

Hudson2002 wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:15 am
I don't get the brilliant and genius talk in reference to Riley. Maybe he is, but were we the first ones(and now SMU) to all the sudden discover this? Did his own head coach brother not even know he had an offensive genius in the family therefore not putting him on the staff at OU? I mean, he came to App as a RB coach last year. You'd think a brilliant genius would have had more opportunities than a RB coach at a G5.
Sometimes people are smart enough to know that they shouldn't work with family. Not saying that every family can't work cohesively together, but many cannot.
Give 'em hell!

AppDub

Unread post by AppDub » Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:32 pm

AppStateNews wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:26 am
bigdaddyg wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:09 am
This is just my opinion but it drives me nuts when a coach is referred to as a genius or “brilliant”, especially one who hasn’t run a team or even shown great results as a coordinator. What exactly exhibits brilliance in a running backs coach? A dude who spent one year at App with the backs we have doesn’t really have to do much. Like the ones before Riley they can’t be blamed for taking the huge pay increases but in his case there are 50 dudes lining up who are just as good. For these guys it’s mostly being in the right place at the right time. I’m sure being the brother of another “brilliant offensive mind” gets him some extra looks. Next.
Like coach Clark has said, the entire staff has a hand in game planning. That's where Riley's genius comes in. If you think as a RB coach, he goes home as soon as the RBs are done, you are sorely wrong.

Riley is an offensive genius. He wasn't able to display it for the fans necessarily, but his input on game plans and suggestions on play calls proved it. When Clark got the nod, Riley was one of his first calls. There's a reason for that. He's proven himself.

All that said, I'm not worried. I've heard some names that have interviewed and we will be in good shape.
Such as?

biggie
Site Admin

Unread post by biggie » Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:34 pm

EastHallApp wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:02 am
biggie wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:27 am
Last year I felt:
Iffy on HC, like the retention of assistants.

This year:
Love HC, iffy on assistants.
Is it the assistants we actually have that you're concerned about, or just Jones as DC + the uncertainty?
More turnover this year is the main concern.

DoublySports

Unread post by DoublySports » Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:20 pm

App State Football Facebook:

"Glad to have Coach Pat Washington back for more in 2020 after he helped the 18th-ranked Mountaineers win 13 games, a Sun Belt title and the New Orleans Bowl. #GoApp"

Pat Washington retained (as expected)

VNova

Unread post by VNova » Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:09 pm

DoublySports wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:20 pm
App State Football Facebook:

"Glad to have Coach Pat Washington back for more in 2020 after he helped the 18th-ranked Mountaineers win 13 games, a Sun Belt title and the New Orleans Bowl. #GoApp"

Pat Washington retained (as expected)
Solid work. Glad he's around for another year.

DoesntEvenGoHere

Unread post by DoesntEvenGoHere » Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:25 pm

Sounds like RIley gets a lot of recognition & oppertunity based on his name & being related to Lincoln Riley.

Hope he paves his own road & proves his worth but like many, I don't think losing Riley is a big deal. I wasn't completely sold on him as the OC. I think this hurts us more with the locker room than the future of App State football. These guys have lost a LOT of coaches over the last 2 years & I know they want it to stop.

But as far as OC goes, Riley's value at that position is yet to be seen really. Good luck to him at SMU, hope we don't have to play him cause while I'm not going to actively root for him, I don't want to have to root against him. Hope SC get's a good OC.

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:49 pm

DoesntEvenGoHere wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:25 pm
Sounds like RIley gets a lot of recognition & oppertunity based on his name & being related to Lincoln Riley.

Hope he paves his own road & proves his worth but like many, I don't think losing Riley is a big deal. I wasn't completely sold on him as the OC. I think this hurts us more with the locker room than the future of App State football. These guys have lost a LOT of coaches over the last 2 years & I know they want it to stop.

But as far as OC goes, Riley's value at that position is yet to be seen really. Good luck to him at SMU, hope we don't have to play him cause while I'm not going to actively root for him, I don't want to have to root against him. Hope SC get's a good OC.
I hope we do play them and I hope we wipe the floor with their AAC overrated asses. Don’t care if Riley is on the sidelines or not.
Not wishing ill will toward coaches that leave, but I could care less about what happens to the one and dones

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:32 am

Although not officially announced or unexpected, I assume lance Ware will remain on staff as he is currently recruiting for us.

DoublySports

Unread post by DoublySports » Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:41 am

From Twitter: Cortney Braswell
A big welcome to the #AppFamily to our newest assistant coach, @CortBraswell! Before coaching at Louisville last year, he was a high school head coach for several years in GA and TN.

▶️ bit.ly/30vnn9p

From AppState Sports:
App State head football coach Shawn Clark has added another key piece to his first coaching staff, hiring Cortney Braswell as an assistant coach on the defensive side of the ball.

Braswell, a former high school head coach in Georgia and Tennessee, comes to Boone after serving as a defensive quality control coach at Louisville for the 2019 season.

"We're excited to welcome Cortney and his son Cayden to the App Family," Clark said. "Cortney worked his way up the high school ranks and is more than prepared to be a college coach. He has great energy and will bring his relentless work ethic to the football field and our recruiting efforts."

https://appstatesports.com/news/2020/1/ ... coach.aspx

VNova

Unread post by VNova » Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:50 am

DoublySports wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:41 am
A big welcome to the #AppFamily to our newest assistant coach, @CortBraswell! Before coaching at Louisville last year, he was a high school head coach for several years in GA and TN.

▶️ bit.ly/30vnn9p

From AppState Sports:
App State head football coach Shawn Clark has added another key piece to his first coaching staff, hiring Cortney Braswell as an assistant coach on the defensive side of the ball.

Braswell, a former high school head coach in Georgia and Tennessee, comes to Boone after serving as a defensive quality control coach at Louisville for the 2019 season.

"We're excited to welcome Cortney and his son Cayden to the App Family," Clark said. "Cortney worked his way up the high school ranks and is more than prepared to be a college coach. He has great energy and will bring his relentless work ethic to the football field and our recruiting efforts."

I'm neutral on this one, but I love that Clark is giving someone a shot. This is a good way to build homegrown coaching talent alongside some of the experienced folks in place.

HkyMtneer

Unread post by HkyMtneer » Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:53 am

DoublySports wrote:

▶️ bit.ly/30vnn9p

From AppState Sports:

I remember reading about Braswell after his theft charges popped up in TN last summer...and then again after the charges were dropped prior to Louisville starting camp. Glad to hear he got clear of that mess before the season started and I assume went on to have a good year as QC at Louisville, showed Satt/Jones something, and came our way for a full-on coaching position by way of Satt/Jones recommendation.
Last edited by HkyMtneer on Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NavyApp

Unread post by NavyApp » Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:55 am

VNova wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:50 am
DoublySports wrote:

▶️ bit.ly/30vnn9p

From AppState Sports:

I'm neutral on this one, but I love that Clark is giving someone a shot. This is a good way to build homegrown coaching talent alongside some of the experienced folks in place.
I think the biggest takeaways are in the last sentence of the write up. Energy, Work Ethic, Recruiting. I think this could be a great pick up for us; young and hungry.
FREQS AND GEEKS!

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:56 am

HkyMtneer wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:53 am
I remember reading about Braswell after his theft charges popped up in TN last summer...and then again after the charges were dropped prior to Louisville starting camp. Glad to hear he got clear of that mess before the season started and I assume went on to have a good year as QC at Louisville, showed Satt something, and came our way for a full-on coaching position by way of Satt's recommendation.
The theft charges were nothing but a misunderstanding. Basically, he allowed two semi-pro teams rent out the field for games. Something around $2500. The school thought he pocketed the money. But, he put the money back into the football program. It just wasn't documented correctly. Once that was proven, charges are dropped.

That said, I'm not sure how I feel about this hire. But, he does come with recommendations from Satt and Jones. So, I will trust Clark on this one.
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

97APP

Unread post by 97APP » Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:06 pm

AppStateNews wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:56 am
That said, I'm not sure how I feel about this hire. But, he does come with recommendations from Satt and Jones. So, I will trust Clark on this one.
The fact that Satt and Jones worked with him last year remove any concerns I may have had. Plus, he's now had a year's experience with our current version of the 3-4.

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:09 pm

97APP wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:06 pm
AppStateNews wrote:
The fact that Satt and Jones worked with him last year remove any concerns I may have had. Plus, he's now had a year's experience with our current version of the 3-4.
He's had more than that. He ran it while coaching at the high school ranks too.
tAPPedInSports.net

appstate24

Unread post by appstate24 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:11 pm

AppStateNews wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:09 pm
97APP wrote:
AppStateNews wrote:
What are we thinking? D-line coach? Seems like a solid addition! GO APPS!!

97APP

Unread post by 97APP » Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:12 pm

Is it a fact that Coach Gas is gone or is there a chance he'll return (possibly in a higher role, e.g. Assistant DC)? I haven't seen a press release from Army or any type of official announcement.

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:13 pm

appstate24 wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:11 pm
AppStateNews wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:09 pm
97APP wrote:
AppStateNews wrote:
What are we thinking? D-line coach? Seems like a solid addition! GO APPS!!
Won't really know until the other hires are made. If I had to guess, I would say d line though.
tAPPedInSports.net

Apple@chin1

Unread post by Apple@chin1 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:13 pm

Older article. But it does mention Gasparato reportedly going to Army. No official announcements though.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.journa ... 2.amp.html

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”