Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

#19 In Final AP Poll

AppStFan1
School: Appalachian State

Re: #19 In Final AP Poll

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:06 pm

Saint3333 wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:22 pm
Here we are having a positive discussion and someone brings up Laney. I get pissed every time I read his name...
Me too. I know this sounds like a fan thing to say but honestly if I were the AD I would call him and ask him not to ever come to a game or come in our facility. He would not be welcome. I wish everyone under 35 knew what a disease he was to our program. There was a reason he resigns and donations triple, we win championships, and the program starts to grow. He was preventing so much and I'm thankful he was forced out. His name should be forbidden around our campus.

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:16 pm

IM4ASU wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:29 pm
Wonder what ole Roach is thinking now? Back in the 70's he told me we would NEVER be able to compete with Wake year-in and year-out.
You appsolutely couldn't pitch an idea for the guy to take back to his staff for discussion. Upon the very mention of trying something new and different, he'd hit you with a quick, incredulous "Appalachian can't do that." Then, before his voice trailed off, he was showing you his back--bolting away from you with the clink-clank of the hundred-or-so keys hanging from hIs belt announcing what a real important fella he was. :roll:

Mention a facilities or program improvement that was easily manageable with some forward planning and his pat answer was "we can't." He was all about maintaining the status quo. That was, in his view, "good enough for little 'ol App."
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

citroknight
School: UCF

Unread post by citroknight » Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:55 am

asu66 wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:16 pm
IM4ASU wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:29 pm
Wonder what ole Roach is thinking now? Back in the 70's he told me we would NEVER be able to compete with Wake year-in and year-out.
You appsolutely couldn't pitch an idea for the guy to take back to his staff for discussion. Upon the very mention of trying something new and different, he'd hit you with a quick, incredulous "Appalachian can't do that." Then, before his voice trailed off, he was showing you his back--bolting away from you with the clink-clank of the hundred-or-so keys hanging from hIs belt announcing what a real important fella he was. :roll:

Mention a facilities or program improvement that was easily manageable with some forward planning and his pat answer was "we can't." He was all about maintaining the status quo. That was, in his view, "good enough for little 'ol App."
Makes me think of the inspirational/slightly cheesy quote: Whether you think you can or can't, you're right.

It's not always easy or quick to get to where you want. But if you just sit on your hands and don't do anything then yeah you'll get left behind. The status quo actually becomes worse. FCS lost a lot of great teams at the top to FBS.

CornCobPipes

Unread post by CornCobPipes » Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:42 am

This has been a GREAT year in Mountaineer history! A few years back who would have thought even though I did aspire. As far as this ranking goes I will take it and then argue we should have been a tick higher or so....sometimes computer analysis and sports writer opinion is a little garbage to a degree.

My biggest gripe is Memphis remaining ranked ahead of us......in a head to head game I have no doubts we could take them due to defense.

If only Halloween wasn't a nightmare due to weather.....blame it on ESPN or if the game has been on Saturday.
KICK ASS!!!

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:30 am

bigdaddyg wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:40 am
Yosef84 wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:57 am
I'm with him up until the scheduling part. No way the conference championship games should be eliminated. I don't know what he's thinking there but it makes zero sense to me.
There are all kinds of ideas and arguments for and against expansion. No idea will ever be 100% accepted. It will be akin to the NCAA basketball tournament which is mostly loved by everyone, except the handful of average teams who get left out every year. Some think that the field needs to be expanded to 100 or so teams. That is crazy. If you go 20-10 in a bad conference you don't deserve to play.

As far as football goes i never get the part about the conference champions being in the first group. To me that is a ridiculous criteria. Had Virginia knocked off Clemson this year they would have been in the playoff (if there was expansion). Eliminate the conference championship games and substitute the first round of the playoffs to include all of the regular season conference champions from each league. Let the playoff committee decide the top 3 teams and give them a bye. If one of these teams is a conference champion then select a wildcard and if all 3 of the bye teams are champions select 3 wildcards. After round 1 you are left with 8 teams who then play each other in the 4 major bowls with the winners moving on. Theoretically the 5 G5's would possibly lose in round 1 because they are playing P5 conference champions or highly ranked second place finishers- if they are that good. So this year the bye teams would have been LSU, Clemson and Ohio State. The teams replacing them could have been Georgia, Alabama and Utah. Obviously there would need to be a criteria to determine the regular season champion and if the NCAA doesn't mind the extra games just keep the conference championship games to determine who plays in the first round but this just adds too much extra time for players.
There are definitely lots of arguments, but I do buy in to the concept of the champion being the first group. The situation you describe (Virginia beating Clemson) happens but it isn't the norm and that's what the two at-large bids are for....to allow deserving teams who were eliminated in outlier games to be included. Everyone has an opinion. I personally just see it clouding the waters even worse if the CCGs are eliminated. That opens the door for P5 conferences to include two teams as a norm and exclude G5 once again.

moonshine

Unread post by moonshine » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:06 am

CornCobPipes wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:42 am
This has been a GREAT year in Mountaineer history! A few years back who would have thought even though I did aspire. As far as this ranking goes I will take it and then argue we should have been a tick higher or so....sometimes computer analysis and sports writer opinion is a little garbage to a degree.

My biggest gripe is Memphis remaining ranked ahead of us......in a head to head game I have no doubts we could take them due to defense.

If only Halloween wasn't a nightmare due to weather.....blame it on ESPN or if the game has been on Saturday.
I'm not to upset about Memphis being ranked ahead of App but I do agree, I like App's chances if they were to square off with the Tigers. As for Halloween, blame that on the coaching staff and the team.
Picked up via free agency by the High Country All-Stars

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:48 am

I'm not upset about Memphis. In my opinion, if they had been blown out we should have jumped them. I don't think the G5 representative should be penalized for losing in a competitive game to a top ranked P5 team. I think App could have competed with Memphis and possibly won if we had played, but they earned their rank.

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:07 am

Here's some major love from USA Today; we're 12th in the re-rank!

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/n ... FrWNfERsQE

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:09 pm

I mean, I'll take it but even I look at that with a raised eyebrow.
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

citroknight
School: UCF

Unread post by citroknight » Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:26 pm

Yosef84 wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:48 am
I'm not upset about Memphis. In my opinion, if they had been blown out we should have jumped them. I don't think the G5 representative should be penalized for losing in a competitive game to a top ranked P5 team. I think App could have competed with Memphis and possibly won if we had played, but they earned their rank.
Agreed. I think the same logic was used to hammer Boise hard since they faced an unranked 7 win P5 team and got molly whopped.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:41 pm

citroknight wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:26 pm
Yosef84 wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:48 am
Agreed. I think the same logic was used to hammer Boise hard since they faced an unranked 7 win P5 team and got molly whopped.
As an aside, Boise got the worst-case scenario for G5s who are desperate to play a P5 - any P5 - in a bowl. Washington had underperformed relative to their talent and no doubt came in highly motivated to send Petersen out a winner.

Boise didn't get the team that went 7-5; they got the one that had won three straight Pac-12 titles and was preseason top 15.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:47 pm

Only one AP voter failed to include App State. This guy never voted for us.

https://collegepolltracker.com/football ... untaineers

https://collegepolltracker.com/football ... neers/2019

Yet he had five 5-loss teams ranked. He did finish with the lowest rated ballot though.

proasu89

Unread post by proasu89 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:18 pm

Saint3333 wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:47 pm

Yet he had five 5-loss teams ranked. He did finish with the lowest rated ballot though.

His woman left him for a bearded man in a flannel shirt from Western NC.

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:20 pm

Saint3333 wrote:

I don't often pick on pollsters, but in this case, I'll make an exception. This guy is a moron, plain and simple.
Give 'em hell!

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:23 pm

Saint3333 wrote:

Not only that, but four of those 5-loss teams were from the Pac-12, and three of those were in the top 20. His was the highest ranking for all three. He represented all six of Cal's points (ranked them at 20 while no one else ranked them at all) and 7 of AZ State's 12 points.

BTW, he also didn't vote for Cincinnati.

VNova

Unread post by VNova » Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:36 pm

EastHallApp wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:23 pm
Saint3333 wrote:

Not only that, but four of those 5-loss teams were from the Pac-12, and three of those were in the top 20. His was the highest ranking for all three. He represented all six of Cal's points (ranked them at 20 while no one else ranked them at all) and 7 of AZ State's 12 points.

BTW, he also didn't vote for Cincinnati.
He's biased against Utah State, App State, Toledo, Fresno State, South Florida, Navy, Houston, Cincy, and Western Michigan. He's also biased against FSU and Wake.

Dude hates AAC and us.

moonshine

Unread post by moonshine » Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:30 am

He obviously does not realize that Chancellor Everts is a Nebraska grad.
Picked up via free agency by the High Country All-Stars

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”