Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Back To Early Spring Ball!

appstate24
School: Appalachian State

Back To Early Spring Ball!

Unread post by appstate24 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:54 pm

I meant to post this yesterday, but it looks we are going back to early spring ball. Yesterday, on IG I saw a couple players post stories showing the locker room countdown clock. It had a countdown to spring ball and there was a little over 9 days on the clock. First confirmation I’ve seen of us going back to early spring ball, which I know many of us wanted. GO APPS!!

AppNC

Re: Back To Early Spring Ball!

Unread post by AppNC » Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:29 pm

February 11th is what I am being told.

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:33 pm

This is great news if confirmed.
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:18 pm

I kind of like the later practice, because of the possibility of a spring game, but if they feel an earlier practice helps them recover for August, then I am fully behind that.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:26 pm

AppinVA wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:18 pm
I kind of like the later practice, because of the possibility of a spring game, but if they feel an earlier practice helps them recover for August, then I am fully behind that.
More chance to recover and more time to get in the strength and conditioning program. Excited to see what the new S&C guy can do for us.

GoBoone

Unread post by GoBoone » Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:29 pm

Appstate88 wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:33 pm
This is great news if confirmed.
It is Feb 11

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:33 pm

The Rock wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:26 pm
AppinVA wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:18 pm
More chance to recover and more time to get in the strength and conditioning program. Excited to see what the new S&C guy can do for us.
I said as much. At least I tried to acknowledge it. I do wonder if it makes that much of a difference, why have the big guys not have followed? Perhaps ESPN is stating that Alabama and Clemson have to have their spring games after basketball season. It wouldn’t surprise me.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

AppStateMtneer

Unread post by AppStateMtneer » Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:44 pm

I always figured our reasoning behind it was to acclimate guys to the elements more so than time to recover... Boone Feb weather helps prepare for Boone November/December weather. The Georgia Southern game was cold... the wind had a lot to do with our offensive problems but it was the first App game in a while I felt another team was more prepared for the bad weather than we were... That is an advantage we should always have over an opponent in Boone.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:01 pm

AppStateMtneer wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:44 pm
I always figured our reasoning behind it was to acclimate guys to the elements more so than time to recover... Boone Feb weather helps prepare for Boone November/December weather. The Georgia Southern game was cold... the wind had a lot to do with our offensive problems but it was the first App game in a while I felt another team was more prepared for the bad weather than we were... That is an advantage we should always have over an opponent in Boone.
That wasn't the reason Satt gave for the early Spring practice. It was to give them extended time for strength and conditioning. I don't think practicing in the late winter acclimates one to playing in the wind and cold in the regular season. We didn't lose to GS because we held Spring practice later last year.

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:08 pm

hapapp wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:01 pm
AppStateMtneer wrote:
That wasn't the reason Satt gave for the early Spring practice. It was to give them extended time for strength and conditioning. I don't think practicing in the late winter acclimates one to playing in the wind and cold in the regular season. We didn't lose to GS because we held Spring practice later last year.
I don’t know about that as GS did do early spring ball and they were the only team to out physical us for 3 qtrs last season.
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:56 am

Appstate88 wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:08 pm
hapapp wrote:
AppStateMtneer wrote:
I don’t know about that as GS did do early spring ball and they were the only team to out physical us for 3 qtrs last season.
Early spring practice in Statesboro hardly conditions a player for Boone weather. It wasn't conditioning that beat us, it was intensity. GS brought the intensity and App didn't match it. ONE of the two games played like it was a rivalry game, and the other was in BAU mode. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think that's what lost us the game. That's one of the reasons I like the staff that Clark is putting together. I don't think that will be an issue in 2020.

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:40 am

Yosef84 wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:56 am
Appstate88 wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:08 pm
hapapp wrote:
AppStateMtneer wrote:
Early spring practice in Statesboro hardly conditions a player for Boone weather. It wasn't conditioning that beat us, it was intensity. GS brought the intensity and App didn't match it. ONE of the two games played like it was a rivalry game, and the other was in BAU mode. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think that's what lost us the game. That's one of the reasons I like the staff that Clark is putting together. I don't think that will be an issue in 2020.
The passion, of pride passion purpose, was missing during the GS game for sure. Looking forward to having Nic Cardwell back on staff to fire up the troops. Also have high expectations for Braswell and the new S&C coach

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:46 am

AppStateMtneer wrote:
We lost that game because we were not prepared to play the game. We both played in the same weather and they didn't move practice to Alaska to get ready. That game was lost by those not wearing uniforms.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:20 pm

bcoach wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:46 am
AppStateMtneer wrote:
We lost that game because we were not prepared to play the game. We both played in the same weather and they didn't move practice to Alaska to get ready. That game was lost by those not wearing uniforms.
Lack of preparation was part of it for sure but there were other factors such as
1. We were a heavy passing team
2. There was ice on the footballs as well as actual ice on the field (making turns was iffy the entire game)
3. We were looking heavily toward the match up with USC
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:41 pm

NewApp wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:20 pm
bcoach wrote:
AppStateMtneer wrote:
Lack of preparation was part of it for sure but there were other factors such as
2. There was ice on the footballs as well as actual ice on the field (making turns was iffy the entire game)
In other words lack of preparation plain and simple.

AppNC

Unread post by AppNC » Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:47 pm

Slated to begin Feb 18th now.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:55 pm

bcoach wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:41 pm
NewApp wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:20 pm
bcoach wrote:
AppStateMtneer wrote:
In other words lack of preparation plain and simple.
Can't prepare for ice unless you convert to a more or less straight ahead run game or are the Minnesota Vikings or Green Bay Packers. wink.
Hard to prepare 18-21 year olds for an arguably train wreck program when an SEC P-5 program is looming.
Plus the crowd was not into it even from the get go. It was being played in a vacuum. GSU was playing their bowl game by playing us.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:20 pm

My point is not the weather but the fact that we have more consecutive weeks to build strength before fall camp begins.

i posted this article in our spring practice thread last year. It is an article from Stink and it shows they copied us with early spring ball with Matt Greenhalgh leading their SC program.
https://gseagles.com/news/2019/1/23/foo ... eased.aspx

By going back to an early practice schedule we can negate any perceived physical advantage they had on us last year.
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:41 pm

The weather on that night was the X factor. It wasn’t because we started spring ball later. The weather, more to the point, the wind negated our ability to effectively move the ball through the air. This made us a run heavy team out of necessity. Sloan, and any competent DC would see this and it made his game plan easy. Load the box with more men than we can block. This was effective in shutting down the run, as well, as forcing throws that had to be made before we wanted too. We were much more effective through the air when they aligned their defense to defend the pass in a normal manner. I seriously doubt that spring ball prep had anything to do with this. We lost the year before in the rain. So should we have run more practices during the rainy season to prepare?

HighPointApp

Unread post by HighPointApp » Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:45 pm

This thread is going down the rabbit hole of stupidity.
Give 'em Hell!
Class of ‘96

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”