Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Back To Early Spring Ball!

bcoach
School: Appalachian State

Re: Back To Early Spring Ball!

Unread post by bcoach » Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:05 pm

NewApp wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:55 pm
bcoach wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:41 pm
NewApp wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:20 pm
bcoach wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:46 am
AppStateMtneer wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:44 pm
I always figured our reasoning behind it was to acclimate guys to the elements more so than time to recover... Boone Feb weather helps prepare for Boone November/December weather. The Georgia Southern game was cold... the wind had a lot to do with our offensive problems but it was the first App game in a while I felt another team was more prepared for the bad weather than we were... That is an advantage we should always have over an opponent in Boone.
We lost that game because we were not prepared to play the game. We both played in the same weather and they didn't move practice to Alaska to get ready. That game was lost by those not wearing uniforms.
Lack of preparation was part of it for sure but there were other factors such as
1. We were a heavy passing team
2. There was ice on the footballs as well as actual ice on the field (making turns was iffy the entire game)
3. We were looking heavily toward the match up with USC
In other words lack of preparation plain and simple.
Can't prepare for ice unless you convert to a more or less straight ahead run game or are the Minnesota Vikings or Green Bay Packers. wink.
Hard to prepare 18-21 year olds for an arguably train wreck program when an SEC P-5 program is looming.
Plus the crowd was not into it even from the get go. It was being played in a vacuum. GSU was playing their bowl game by playing us.
I am sorry but those are excuses. Both teams played on the same field. The weather was in the forecast well in advance. We were very well prepared for the vast majority of a fantastic season, we just were not for that game.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:25 am

bcoach wrote:
AppStateMtneer wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:44 pm
I always figured our reasoning behind it was to acclimate guys to the elements more so than time to recover... Boone Feb weather helps prepare for Boone November/December weather. The Georgia Southern game was cold... the wind had a lot to do with our offensive problems but it was the first App game in a while I felt another team was more prepared for the bad weather than we were... That is an advantage we should always have over an opponent in Boone.
We lost that game because we were not prepared to play the game. We both played in the same weather and they didn't move practice to Alaska to get ready. That game was lost by those not wearing uniforms.
If they would move this game to Saturday that would be great. A rivalry game, against an option team, on a short week, and in poor weather were all contributing factors. Personally, after seeing ESPN flex App and GSU/South Alabama to ESPNU for Saturday games, I feel like the Sun Belt has some leverage to get App and Southern on ESPNU on a Saturday. App and Louisiana/Arkansas State could take over that Thursday slot.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:06 pm

bcoach wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:05 pm
NewApp wrote:
bcoach wrote:
NewApp wrote:
bcoach wrote:

Lack of preparation was part of it for sure but there were other factors such as
2. There was ice on the footballs as well as actual ice on the field (making turns was iffy the entire game)
Can't prepare for ice unless you convert to a more or less straight ahead run game or are the Minnesota Vikings or Green Bay Packers. wink.
Hard to prepare 18-21 year olds for an arguably train wreck program when an SEC P-5 program is looming.
Plus the crowd was not into it even from the get go. It was being played in a vacuum. GSU was playing their bowl game by playing us.
I am sorry but those are excuses. Both teams played on the same field. The weather was in the forecast well in advance. We were very well prepared for the vast majority of a fantastic season, we just were not for that game.
You know better than that. You were a coach. Bad weather/field conditions heavily favors the running team (especially if they have a good straight ahead running component) over a passing team. It's analagous to horse races, where the horses which are mudders do better than their competition on a muddy track. Both have the same field, but one has the advantage.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:27 pm

NewApp wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:06 pm
bcoach wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:05 pm
NewApp wrote:
bcoach wrote:
NewApp wrote:

You know better than that. You were a coach. Bad weather/field conditions heavily favors the running team (especially if they have a good straight ahead running component) over a passing team. It's analagous to horse races, where the horses which are mudders do better than their competition on a muddy track. Both have the same field, but one has the advantage.
That is exactly why I said the weather was foretasted well in advance. If you prepare for a passing game in those conditions you are not well prepared. Listen I am not trying to downgrade the coaching staff. What I am saying is that they were not well prepared for that particular game. They just were not.

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:05 pm

Hey, Hey, Hey, Spring Practice Begins a Week from Today!
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

ASU3432Mi

Unread post by ASU3432Mi » Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:23 am

Maybe I missed it, but is Shawn planning a spring game/open practice/scrimmage? I know the construction may have something to do with it.

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:39 am

I think this got into the rabbit hole as HPApp eluded to because someone questioned spring practice and related it to various game preparation/results, i.e. GS game. That is fair to ask on this thread if it is about the merits of early spring/late spring practice discussion. I don't think anyone can definitely say that late spring resulted in a loss any more than they can say it led to victories with UNC and USC.

IMO, and several analyst said too, we got OUTPLAYED across both lines significantly leading to us not being able to execute our game plan and them more successfully executing theirs. We were not mentally UP for the game the way GS was. They clearly were hyped up and had more adrenaline flowing throughout the game and we still could have won it. But didn't.

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:48 pm

ASU3432Mi wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:23 am
Maybe I missed it, but is Shawn planning a spring game/open practice/scrimmage? I know the construction may have something to do with it.
I could go for an excuse to break out a tailgate grill and a coupe of chairs.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:58 am

AppNC had this first followed by App88...here's the full story from Shawn Clark by way of THE WATAUGA DEMOCRAT. BTW, no mention of a spring game so far.

Mountaineers start spring workouts Feb. 18

https://www.wataugademocrat.com/sports/ ... 29ddd.html
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:05 pm

appstate24 wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:54 pm
I meant to post this yesterday, but it looks we are going back to early spring ball. Yesterday, on IG I saw a couple players post stories showing the locker room countdown clock. It had a countdown to spring ball and there was a little over 9 days on the clock. First confirmation I’ve seen of us going back to early spring ball, which I know many of us wanted. GO APPS!!

Will this timeline be sufficent to allow the new coaches to find a place to live and get settled in?
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

NavyApp

Unread post by NavyApp » Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:18 pm

asu66 wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:58 am
AppNC had this first followed by App88...here's the full story from Shawn Clark by way of THE WATAUGA DEMOCRAT. BTW, no mention of a spring game so far.

The gist of the article is good, but man alive did anyone proofread this thing? Calling Josh Thomas Josh Johnson. Saying we are bringing in two new defensive coaches then list three by name! I'm not even a person who normally cares but that article is a bit tough.
FREQS AND GEEKS!

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:46 pm

NavyApp wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:18 pm
asu66 wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:58 am

The gist of the article is good, but man alive did anyone proofread this thing? Calling Josh Thomas Josh Johnson. Saying we are bringing in two new defensive coaches then list three by name! I'm not even a person who normally cares but that article is a bit tough.
Looks as if this was written by an unsupervised student intern in Athletics or at The Democrat. I agree, it's rough around the edges.

One can say the same about articles on appstatesports.com. Some of the writing there is atrocious and is clearly the work-product of salaried staff members.

DROCKUS11

Unread post by DROCKUS11 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:52 pm

Marcus Williams Jr. is my friend on snapchat and posted a 5 day countdown today so Monday the 17th spring ball will officially start

AppNC

Unread post by AppNC » Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:01 pm

Spring ball officially starts on February 18th and runs through March 21st. No spring game listed on practice schedule but doesn't mean they won't have one.

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:28 pm

NewApp wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:05 pm
appstate24 wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:54 pm
I meant to post this yesterday, but it looks we are going back to early spring ball. Yesterday, on IG I saw a couple players post stories showing the locker room countdown clock. It had a countdown to spring ball and there was a little over 9 days on the clock. First confirmation I’ve seen of us going back to early spring ball, which I know many of us wanted. GO APPS!!

Will this timeline be sufficent to allow the new coaches to find a place to live and get settled in?
The coaches and their families will be well-cared for. Trust SC and DG on this! Classy D-I programs simply don't throw their coaching recruits/families to the wolves. Word of anything less than the best of first-class southern hospitality would travel on the underground network at warp speed and would be used against App at every opportunity. The university, the athletic department, the High Country Chamber of Commerce, the Board of Realtors and others treat newcomers VERY WELL.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:12 pm

Is TD Roof staying ?

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:25 pm

Would assume he is competing for ILB position. We have a lot of good players at ILBs. Jackson, Doublin, Cobb, Bird, Helig all come to mind. Good luck to all at Spring Ball.
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

AppNC

Unread post by AppNC » Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:34 am

Stonewall wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:12 pm
Is TD Roof staying ?
Yes he is.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:50 pm

Thanks , and that’s good news.

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:54 pm

AppNC wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:01 pm
Spring ball officially starts on February 18th and runs through March 21st. No spring game listed on practice schedule but doesn't mean they won't have one.
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”