Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

NEZ work today

Mountaineers89
School: Appalachian State

Re: NEZ work today

Unread post by Mountaineers89 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:29 am

Are they adding these columns as a fix to the defective steel? There is one at each steel support and they were not shown in any of the original renderings. I hope they didn't decide to install these instead of replacing the steel to meet a time frame. I agree at this point they do not look good, but I haven't seen the final rendering.

The columns also look like they may just be temporary although I thought I saw something saying they were permanent.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:02 am

Mjohn1988 wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:43 am
Saint3333 wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:52 am
This isnt surprising as logistics would be difficult to get all members that don’t have NEZ seating out in time.

Still somewhat disappointing as I grew up watching warmups from Owens, I loved those memories as a child.
Don’t follow why it would be hard to get folks out, just close the room 30 minutes before game time. I for one will be very disappointed if this space becomes a high end donors only facility. We need as many club members as possible, not just a few big donors.
Fastest line to BEP is via large, high end, donors.

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:55 am

ericsaid wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:02 am
Mjohn1988 wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:43 am
Saint3333 wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:52 am
This isnt surprising as logistics would be difficult to get all members that don’t have NEZ seating out in time.

Still somewhat disappointing as I grew up watching warmups from Owens, I loved those memories as a child.
Don’t follow why it would be hard to get folks out, just close the room 30 minutes before game time. I for one will be very disappointed if this space becomes a high end donors only facility. We need as many club members as possible, not just a few big donors.
Fastest line to BEP is via large, high end, donors.
And what happens if one or two decide to stop donating? Our teams have always been built with the guys nobody wanted, the “little guy”. I just think that’s the best way for us, it creates ownership and a fan base that “shows up”. No proof on my part, just the way I feel.

CLTAPP92

Unread post by CLTAPP92 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:33 pm

Mountaineers89 wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:29 am
Are they adding these columns as a fix to the defective steel? There is one at each steel support and they were not shown in any of the original renderings. I hope they didn't decide to install these instead of replacing the steel to meet a time frame. I agree at this point they do not look good, but I haven't seen the final rendering.

The columns also look like they may just be temporary although I thought I saw something saying they were permanent.
If they are permanent, could it be walled in for additional indoor space - could add needed areas such as visitor locker rooms, offices, added team meeting rooms, club space, etc. The columns would make sight-lines horrible, so why not add more indoor space to give added floorplan options? Could still add a patio above the ground floor, beneath the bleachers and extend it out past the columns.

huskie3

Unread post by huskie3 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:02 pm

Could it be there was a miscalculation of load bearing. Just quick math - 1,000 people with average weight of 175 lbs - that would be 87 tons of weight for the cantilever to support. (I would need a 110 lb. person to average me out).
Bring Your A Game!

TheMoody1

Unread post by TheMoody1 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:20 pm

huskie3 wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:02 pm
Could it be there was a miscalculation of load bearing. Just quick math - 1,000 people with average weight of 175 lbs - that would be 87 tons of weight for the cantilever to support. (I would need a 110 lb. person to average me out).
I thought it was so they could add a cover over the seats down the road.

appsfan

Unread post by appsfan » Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:16 pm

TheMoody1 wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:20 pm
huskie3 wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:02 pm
I thought it was so they could add a cover over the seats down the road.
That's what I had read somewhere- columns would be needed to support the cover...

appsfan

Unread post by appsfan » Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:22 pm

Found it:
https://www.appstate.edu/appalachians-f ... e/stadium/
Construction began in September 2019. Currently, brick work on the exterior is underway. As work progresses around the building, curtains will be put up to provide heated space for workers. Within the next few months, structural columns will be added under the cantilevered stadium seating to provide additional support. Adding these supports now will enable the potential addition of an awning in the future, as well as a potential future expansion to the east and west sides of the stadium.

Unread post by 8993 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:46 pm

I know there are talks of expanding to the ground level at some point, or is it just me in thinking that the floating seats look weird? It's odd to see these massive concrete seats jutting out from the first floor with just a patio beneath. I'd rather see them go ahead and put in the first floor seats, even if they aren't completely full, just because the floating second level looks... odd?

JPatH3292

Unread post by JPatH3292 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:28 am

appsfan wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:22 pm
Found it:
Construction began in September 2019. Currently, brick work on the exterior is underway. As work progresses around the building, curtains will be put up to provide heated space for workers. Within the next few months, structural columns will be added under the cantilevered stadium seating to provide additional support. Adding these supports now will enable the potential addition of an awning in the future, as well as a potential future expansion to the east and west sides of the stadium.
Is that a fancy way to say we messed up the stands??? Haha
But I’m not a huge fan of them so far. Hard to have a field level patio with a good view with so many columns blocking your view. Feel like they could take half of those away and it would be much better. But I’m not a structural engineer so who knows.
Someone had pointed out that it could be closed in with the building to add an extra area but that doesn’t go along with the Yosef club tweeting out that it’s going to be a “field level social space”

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:08 am

What if they used the field level patio as the Yosef Club Room pre-game with no access to the elevated club seats.

Mountaineers89

Unread post by Mountaineers89 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:44 am

JPatH3292 wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:28 am
appsfan wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:22 pm
Found it:
Is that a fancy way to say we messed up the stands??? Haha
But I’m not a huge fan of them so far. Hard to have a field level patio with a good view with so many columns blocking your view. Feel like they could take half of those away and it would be much better. But I’m not a structural engineer so who knows.
Someone had pointed out that it could be closed in with the building to add an extra area but that doesn’t go along with the Yosef club tweeting out that it’s going to be a “field level social space”
It kind of sounds that way to me as well. I don't see why they would add the columns for a potential addition of an awning that may never happen, unless the field level patio would make it a lot harder/more expensive to install the columns in the future. Sounds more like a fix that may end up having an additional purpose in the future (an awning). Who knows though... Hopefully the updated renderings are released soon.

YOSEFRULES

Unread post by YOSEFRULES » Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:47 pm

I really enjoy watching the construction of the NEZ complex but the angle of the webcam is a very bad angle to see much progression. If there’s anyone up there regularly that could share some photos it would be much appreciated.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:28 pm

It’s clear that the addition of people in the seats would tip the building down toward the field........like pulling out a heavy top drawer in your dresser..... :D

YOSEFRULES

Unread post by YOSEFRULES » Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:04 am

If I had to guess ( pure speculation here) , this seems like an agreed upon compromise to avoid starting over, delays and lawsuits. In turn hopefully we’re getting something nice in addition to the original such as the patio and awning which I still can’t really picture. Just odd that these columns were never part of any renderings and are being labeled as additional support.

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:43 pm

I’m guessing (half joking) that they forgot to account for the weight of the seats.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

PhillyApp

Unread post by PhillyApp » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:26 pm

How the heck did the architect not catch that before beginning work? I mean, I’m glad it was caught all together, but absolutely changes the entire dynamic of the stadium-facing side of the building.

Also, am I the only one that would prefer to extend seats to the endzone as opposed to the “patio” idea???
Clark for Prez 2024 💪🏼

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:46 pm

The AC Marriott in south Charlotte is another example of poor planning. They build the rooftop bar and restaurant to face south not north (with a view of uptown) on accident. Quite the miss...

huskie3

Unread post by huskie3 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:40 pm

Not in favor of extending seats to end zone.
Bring Your A Game!

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:31 am

PhillyApp, I'm not a big fan of the patio idea. I agree that extending the seats further down would make more sense. Seems to me that it's a wasted opportunity. I have no idea what future plans might be considered in this design though.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”