Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Hints at Next Season

EastHallApp
School: Appalachian State

Re: Hints at Next Season

Unread post by EastHallApp » Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:49 pm

appfan22 wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:34 pm
Reminds me of a longer and more physically imposing Ja Morant.
:lol:

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:58 pm

Saint3333 wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:14 pm
Three Jucos the next couple of years would be welcomed.

I remember Marshall Phillips and Cedric Holmes working out pretty well.

Signing 3-4 Jucos a year is desperation, signing one a year is far from it.
My opinion, Marshall Phillips was the best “ all-around player “ we’ve had.

agentpaul001

Unread post by agentpaul001 » Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:27 am

Anyone hear about anymore notable OOC games next season? Duke was a nice surprise (assuming everything moves forward in this wonky world we live in).

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:12 pm

A home game with the ETSU Bucs is likely. As usual, they'll still be loaded with D-I and JuCo transfers and will still be a very, very hard team to beat.
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:12 pm

A home game with the ETSU Bucs is likely. As usual, they'll still be loaded with D-I and JuCo transfers and will still be a very, very hard team to beat.
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:45 pm

We signed our two recruits.

NavyApp

Unread post by NavyApp » Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:27 pm

Stonewall wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:45 pm
We signed our two recruits.
Really excited about the class as a whole. Xavion Brown and his explosiveness just jump out at you. Eads looks like a smooth wing with all the shots. Huntley at 6'10 with a decent stroke, hopefully we can get a little weight on him. Duhart looks like the plug and play replacement for Ike. Really excited for this upcoming season on the hardwood.
FREQS AND GEEKS!

app97

Unread post by app97 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:05 pm

And we still have 2 available scholarships if Kerns decides to use them this year.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:39 am

We need to find a PG and a shooter.

NavyApp

Unread post by NavyApp » Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:09 am

I think I could watch Michael Eads highlights all day. The more I watch, the more enamored I become with his game. His jumper is smooth, great vision and feel with his passing. Once he is fully recovered (both physically and mentally) from his broken leg and has some time in the weight room this kid is going to be big time for us. The future is very bright for the program, especially if we could pick up some depth with the open spots.

On a side note could anyone direct me to some more recent highlights for CJ Huntley, can't find anything after 2018.
FREQS AND GEEKS!

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:31 pm

JC Tharrington is moving on to UNCG. Interesting that he wasn't good enough for us but he is moving to a program that has had much more recent success than we have.

We need more than just depth in our remaining open spots. We really need something this team hasn't had in a while, a true PG. And, while we do have some size coming in, I'm not sure we have the kind of inside muscle we will need for Sun Belt play. Our young guys are going to have grow up quickly in light of our losses. We'll need much more from Lewis (actually both of them) and its time for Delph to provide a more consistent presence. Gregory came in with high expectations, hopefully he will be at full strength to start the season. There is talent, but its still very much unproven.

NavyApp

Unread post by NavyApp » Sun Apr 19, 2020 4:06 pm

hapapp wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:31 pm
JC Tharrington is moving on to UNCG. Interesting that he wasn't good enough for us but he is moving to a program that has had much more recent success than we have.

We need more than just depth in our remaining open spots. We really need something this team hasn't had in a while, a true PG. And, while we do have some size coming in, I'm not sure we have the kind of inside muscle we will need for Sun Belt play. Our young guys are going to have grow up quickly in light of our losses. We'll need much more from Lewis (actually both of them) and its time for Delph to provide a more consistent presence. Gregory came in with high expectations, hopefully he will be at full strength to start the season. There is talent, but its still very much unproven.
Good luck to Mr.Tharrington, I too find it interesting that he chose a school whose roster will be much harder to crack than ours.

To your point about the our current PG situation. From what I have seen from Coach Kerns(albeit not a ton from Presbyterian and here) and his style of play he seems to favor the athletes over the position. Again this is just a "from my eyes prospective", but he seems to like the guys that can run and play effort D. As another aside I've been thinking about what would be a "true PG" in today's game. Honestly I can't remember the last dominant floor general. I remember all the guys Duke had: Hurley,Dawkins, Woj, Jwill, Duhon, Schyer. I have never been a Duke or UNC fan but I loved Duke PGs and how in control they were on offense and how intense they were on D. I loved Ed Cota as a kid and the assists and the steals. I used to pretend I was Archie Miller when playing iny driveway hitting big threes and burying my free throws while never smiling. With all that said I just think the game has changed so much since then where now the modern PG is just a scoring guard who plays on the ball. Not saying it's my preferred style of play but just the way it is; the guys you are looking for are either now ineffective or non existent.

I know I had said depth in my last post in regards to the open scholarships, and they was probably a bit glass half empty from me. I would love to get a space eating banger down low but to play this system he is going to have to be able to run, a lot. Those guys don't grow on trees and with where we are at as a program and with COVID-19 I don't see us pulling a guy like that unfortunately.

I'm hoping for big jumps from K.Lewis and Gregory this year. If K.Lewis can get more comfortable with his jumper watch out. Gregory I'm hoping shaves some of the baby fat(not saying he is overweight) and becomes more confident with the ball in his hands. At times last year on offense he seemed to being going too fast in his head and his body couldn't keep up. I love the defensive intensity they both play with and expect them to be cornerstones for the next few years. Delph really is the wildcard isn't he? All the talent to be all conference but he tends to get too high on the highs and too low on the lows.
FREQS AND GEEKS!

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Sun Apr 19, 2020 4:50 pm

We would have to change our scheme to facilitate a “ true point guard “. Don’t see it happening ,or the need.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:54 pm

Agree with the previous two posts. The traditional notion of a “true PG” just isn’t something you see much anymore. Typically you put the ball in the hands of a guy who can get a shot for himself or his teammates. Not saying there’s no place for a pass-first (and second and third) guard today, but it’s not really the norm anymore.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:22 am

Well we do need to find someone to handle the ball and I'd rather it be someone other than JF. I did say a true PG, which was probably overstating my position. Williams served as a nice compliment to Forrest in that he could handle the ball but became a threat to score as well. I suppose that was where I was coming from.

NavyApp

Unread post by NavyApp » Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:44 am

hapapp wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:22 am
Well we do need to find someone to handle the ball and I'd rather it be someone other than JF. I did say a true PG, which was probably overstating my position. Williams served as a nice compliment to Forrest in that he could handle the ball but became a threat to score as well. I suppose that was where I was coming from.
I'm with you on that, would love to have a guy who is not Forrest that can get the half court sets running. I personally rather have my primary offensive weapon start the half court off ball for two primary reasons; first it puts more pressure on the defense if they are having to prevent guys like Forrest from getting the ball in the half court it usually leads to someone else being open. Second it leads to more ball movement (nothing I hate more than watching someone dribble the air out of the ball). Maybe Xavion can be that guy(seems like a penetrate and kick guy) maybe Kerns and Co. can find a guy in the portal or JC that can fill that role.

Also happy belated birthday!
FREQS AND GEEKS!

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Thu May 21, 2020 8:57 pm

Look for a football-basketball double header.

agentpaul001

Unread post by agentpaul001 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:41 pm

Some more games (none of ours that I see) getting announced the past few days. I imagine we start to really see scheduling news drop this month (covid aside). Georgia St has a November 10th game against Michigan. Part of a regular season tournament but I'm still slightly surprised just Georgia St could be really damn good this season and that's a tough way to kick off. That said, they should have a good Sunbelt record this year so nice way for Michigan to bump their RPI if they get the early out.

Georgia St has some other good OOC matchups this year, they could build a good resume this season record permitting.

9Steelman

Unread post by 9Steelman » Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:09 am

Verbal commit freshman class of 20 - 6-11 Sasha Glushkov (Blue Ridge School, Virginia)
Last edited by 9Steelman on Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

agentpaul001

Unread post by agentpaul001 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:47 pm

Anything new on the scheduling front? I've disconnected for most part since things are so fluid (and honestly I thought the whole Football season was likely to get postponed or cancelled) but it'd appear we might be just ten weeks out from some basketball so who knows at this point.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Basketball”