Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

ECU among the growing number of institutions faced with eliminating one or more sports

asu66
School: Appalachian State

ECU among the growing number of institutions faced with eliminating one or more sports

Unread post by asu66 » Tue May 19, 2020 6:01 am

ECU has major athletic department budget issues!

https://247sports.com/college/east-caro ... 147283319/
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

Saint3333

Re: ECU among the growing number of institutions faced with eliminating one or more sports

Unread post by Saint3333 » Tue May 19, 2020 6:31 am

college Expenses have grown so much over the last 20 years much higher percentage increases than other sectors of the economy.

This isn’t just in sports. Quite the bubble they’ve created. Student loans have been an underlying issue that is cracking.

appst89
Site Admin

Re: ECU among the growing number of institutions faced with eliminating one or more sports

Unread post by appst89 » Tue May 19, 2020 7:13 am

Saint3333 wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 6:31 am
college Expenses have grown so much over the last 20 years much higher percentage increases than other sectors of the economy.

This isn’t just in sports. Quite the bubble they’ve created. Student loans have been an underlying issue that is cracking.
From my senior year at App, in-state tuition has increased 300% and out-of-state tuition has increased 370%. There is no reason for the cost of a college education to have increased like that.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue May 19, 2020 7:17 am

Something of interest from their 24/7 Board, the meeting of the BoT spoke of the costs attributing to the deficit were occurred from being in the AAC. I believe that amount to be north of $4 million. If accurate, that begs to address two questions; 1) does this change ones desire to join the AAC? And 2) does EZU look to bolt for a more regional conference to reduce expenses?

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Tue May 19, 2020 7:30 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 7:17 am
Something of interest from their 24/7 Board, the meeting of the BoT spoke of the costs attributing to the deficit were occurred from being in the AAC. I believe that amount to be north of $4 million. If accurate, that begs to address two questions; 1) does this change ones desire to join the AAC? And 2) does EZU look to bolt for a more regional conference to reduce expenses?
Football wise we could compete in the AAC. Not as confident about other sports. Financially I don't think we're close to being ready for that step.

I'm all in for a realignment to create regional conferences. It would reduce travel costs and possibly increase revenue for gameday with more away teams fans traveling to attend.
Twitter: @brosef_yosef

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Tue May 19, 2020 7:36 am

With no home for T&F at the moment, is that a possible victim of cutting?

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue May 19, 2020 7:40 am

hapapp wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 7:36 am
You would have to think so, along with CC. It would be a shame that we have cut something because we took away their facility and can’t afford to build a new one.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue May 19, 2020 7:45 am

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 7:30 am
AppSt94 wrote:
Football wise we could compete in the AAC. Not as confident about other sports. Financially I don't think we're close to being ready for that step.

I'm all in for a realignment to create regional conferences. It would reduce travel costs and possibly increase revenue for gameday with more away teams fans traveling to attend.
Competing with the AAC in football isn’t the issue. Would you sell more tickets? ECU set a goal of 16k for season tickets for next season, they reduced that goal to 10k and have sold less than half that to date. According to their 24/7 site.

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Tue May 19, 2020 7:55 am

appst89 wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 7:13 am
Saint3333 wrote:

From my senior year at App, in-state tuition has increased 300% and out-of-state tuition has increased 370%. There is no reason for the cost of a college education to have increased like that.
It happened when limitless student loans were guaranteed for all. It created hyper inflation. A few got rich and now a second straight generation of Americans is being shackled with enormous debt for the same education that cost relative pennies a few decades ago. Not sustainable.

9Steelman

Unread post by 9Steelman » Tue May 19, 2020 8:17 am

Regional conferences have to happen for survival. I think conferences got too big and too big a footprint years ago. I think they all realize that now. Student Loans, my suggestion is if you have to use student loans in the first two years, you have to go to Community College. Limit Student Loans to Juniors and Seniors with a cap of $50,000 or $60,000. Just my thoughts!

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Tue May 19, 2020 8:35 am

Well the world needs ditch diggers too.
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

beav910

Unread post by beav910 » Tue May 19, 2020 8:44 am

How many sports do we field? 18? We operate at such a shoe string budget I wouldn't be surprised if we cut two..
Appalachian State Alumnus :: Graphic Designer

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Tue May 19, 2020 8:56 am

On the topic of regional realignment from ECU’s perspective, joining a newly formed league or joining/rejoining Sunbelt/C-USA can’t look like a viable option. Regardless of travel savings the drop off in league revenue distribution would be so great it would stop that conversation in its tracks. Would some of their fans like being in a league with Marshall, App, ODU, and Charlotte? Sure, but unless this mythical league X came out of the gate with a fat TV check they wouldn’t be able to afford to leave the AAC.

For them it would have to be “regionalize all sports but football. Leave that where it is”
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue May 19, 2020 9:02 am

APPdiesel wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 8:56 am
On the topic of regional realignment from ECU’s perspective, joining a newly formed league or joining/rejoining Sunbelt/C-USA can’t look like a viable option. Regardless of travel savings the drop off in league revenue distribution would be so great it would stop that conversation in its tracks. Would some of their fans like being in a league with Marshall, App, ODU, and Charlotte? Sure, but unless this mythical league X came out of the gate with a fat TV check they wouldn’t be able to afford to leave the AAC.

For them it would have to be “regionalize all sports but football. Leave that where it is”
Some would. It’s not difficult to summizs that the slice of AAC pie is replacing ticket revenue and not adding to it. They have gone from 22k season tickets as a CUSA member to a current <5k for the coming season.

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Tue May 19, 2020 9:29 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 7:45 am
/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 7:30 am
AppSt94 wrote:

Competing with the AAC in football isn’t the issue. Would you sell more tickets? ECU set a goal of 16k for season tickets for next season, they reduced that goal to 10k and have sold less than half that to date. According to their 24/7 site.
We'd sell more individual game tickets but I don't think you'd see season tickets jump too much. Committing to season tickets goes beyond who we are playing, and is more of the personal ability to commit to 6 games or physical and mental ability to freeze your ass off for a mid to late season game in Boone.

beav910

Unread post by beav910 » Tue May 19, 2020 9:37 am

Some interesting takes from ECU fans: https://247sports.com/college/east-caro ... 15/?page=1
Appalachian State Alumnus :: Graphic Designer

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Tue May 19, 2020 9:58 am

hapapp wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 7:36 am
That's what I'm afraid of. Dropping T&F has been a popular move in recent years for either budget or Title 9 reasons. I really hope we don't have to go that route.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Tue May 19, 2020 10:06 am

Gonzo wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 7:55 am
appst89 wrote:
Saint3333 wrote:

It happened when limitless student loans were guaranteed for all. It created hyper inflation. A few got rich and now a second straight generation of Americans is being shackled with enormous debt for the same education that cost relative pennies a few decades ago. Not sustainable.
Student loans are funded by banks and government entities, not the university. Perhaps you're just pointing out an additional issue....which is certainly valid. The increase in tuition is much more related to the state legislature continually cutting budgets and forcing a shift in funding sources.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Tue May 19, 2020 10:16 am

Gonzo wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 7:55 am
appst89 wrote:
Saint3333 wrote:

And without those loans many would not be able to afford the cost of college. Other countries certainly don't seem to have this great of a problem (per usual).
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Tue May 19, 2020 10:37 am

Eliminate useless majors, and stop forcing students to take useless classes. I didn't even get into the bulk of my finance major classes until I already spent thousands on World Civ, Anthropology, and Chemistry.

Inflation/Stagflation as a whole is sweeping the nation at a rapid pace. Everything costs more, with no additional benefits. Those students living in the same apartments I lived in over 10 years ago are paying much more, and I guarantee you not much has changed.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Other Schools' Athletics”