Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

UNC and NCSU announce plans

Mjohn1988
School: Appalachian State

UNC and NCSU announce plans

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Thu May 21, 2020 2:25 pm

UNC and NCSU are going back to in person classes on 8/10 and finishing exams before Thanksgiving break. Looks like their trying to take advantage of the heat and limit the amount of time during the colder months. It’s been reported that the virus doesn’t like heat and humidity. Sounds like a good plan. Just from a football perspective it has everyone on campus thru most of the season.

BTK2000

Re: UNC and NCSU announce plans

Unread post by BTK2000 » Thu May 21, 2020 2:27 pm

So now it’s heat and cold that are the deciding factors not social distancing and reducing contaminated surface contact? Idk what to believe anymore. I believe it’s a thing and that it’s bad but beyond that idk...........

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Thu May 21, 2020 2:33 pm

BTK2000 wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 2:27 pm
So now it’s heat and cold that are the deciding factors not social distancing and reducing contaminated surface contact? Idk what to believe anymore. I believe it’s a thing and that it’s bad but beyond that idk...........
To be clear I didn’t look into the reason for starting early, it’s just a guess on my part that they want to take advantage of the hot temps. But to confuse things a little more for you the CDC has recently said that the chances of getting COVID-19 from contaminated surfaces is slim. They are saying the real threat is from person to person transmission via droplets.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Thu May 21, 2020 2:43 pm

BTK2000 wrote:
None of those are mutually exclusive. But yes, I do think scientists are still learning about this on the fly. Which isn't really surprising since it's only been around a few months.

BTK2000

Unread post by BTK2000 » Thu May 21, 2020 2:48 pm

Mjohn1988 wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 2:33 pm
BTK2000 wrote:
To be clear I didn’t look into the reason for starting early, it’s just a guess on my part that they want to take advantage of the hot temps. But to confuse things a little more for you the CDC has recently said that the chances of getting COVID-19 from contaminated surfaces is slim. They are saying the real threat is from person to person transmission via droplets.
That probably came across more frustrated than the sarcastic tone I think I was angling for. At this point I’m just livin my life the best I can. I’m just working at home making phone calls, sending emails and putting mailers together. I was taking to a volunteer I work with, who’s daughter is starting as a unc freshman. They are probably going to a single occupancy system with guaranteed rooms for freshman and a roll of the dice for everyone else. My unc alum brother said that they don’t have the housing crunch we do and you could easily live on campus all 4 years if you so choose. So I assume they have the rooms to do a fair amount of single occupancy. I’d be curious what would happen in Boone if App also had a single occupancy. There are not enough student off campus apartments to handle that imo.

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Thu May 21, 2020 2:55 pm

BTK2000 wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 2:48 pm
Mjohn1988 wrote:
BTK2000 wrote:
That probably came across more frustrated than the sarcastic tone I think I was angling for. At this point I’m just livin my life the best I can. I’m just working at home making phone calls, sending emails and putting mailers together. I was taking to a volunteer I work with, who’s daughter is starting as a unc freshman. They are probably going to a single occupancy system with guaranteed rooms for freshman and a roll of the dice for everyone else. My unc alum brother said that they don’t have the housing crunch we do and you could easily live on campus all 4 years if you so choose. So I assume they have the rooms to do a fair amount of single occupancy. I’d be curious what would happen in Boone if App also had a single occupancy. There are not enough student off campus apartments to handle that imo.
I pretty much got the sarcasm.

mike87

Unread post by mike87 » Thu May 21, 2020 2:58 pm

Mjohn1988 wrote:
BTK2000 wrote:
Droplets? yeah, definitely don't want none of that on ya!

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Thu May 21, 2020 3:51 pm

Has it been confirmed that heat and humidity in fact make a difference? I ask because Latin America and Brazil are seeing a surge in new cases.
Twitter: @brosef_yosef

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Thu May 21, 2020 6:04 pm

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 3:51 pm
Has it been confirmed that heat and humidity in fact make a difference? I ask because Latin America and Brazil are seeing a surge in new cases.
Sadly, those countries are in no way prepared for what they're in for. We (USA) have already responded to Brazil's SOS with a shipment of medical ventilators. We've done the same for a dozen or more other countries...so far...
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Thu May 21, 2020 6:51 pm

asu66 wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 6:04 pm
Sadly, those countries are in no way prepared for what they're in for. We (USA) have already responded to Brazil's SOS with a shipment of medical ventilators. We've done the same for a dozen or more other countries...so far...
Oh, I agree we are better prepared. I was just wondering where the heat calms it down news came from
Twitter: @brosef_yosef

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Thu May 21, 2020 7:12 pm

Thu May 21, 2020 6:51 pm
asu66 wrote:
Oh, I agree we are better prepared. I was just wondering where the heat calms it down news came from
It’s something that has been discussed pretty widely. It comes from comparing coved to the “seasonal” flu. Most articles on the subject say there are a number of factors but the though is that UV light kills the virus and the droplets expelled from people don’t travel as well or far in humid air. It’s largely speculation.

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Thu May 21, 2020 8:17 pm

Mjohn1988 wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 7:12 pm
asu66 wrote:
It’s something that has been discussed pretty widely. It comes from comparing coved to the “seasonal” flu. Most articles on the subject say there are a number of factors but the though is that UV light kills the virus and the droplets expelled from people don’t travel as well or far in humid air. It’s largely speculation.
Whether or not UV kills the virus: The warmer it is, the more people are outside, active and spread out. Weather has to play some factor when you look geographically at the hot spots. I think this schedule makes a lot of sense, and could be a positive. I would also see a February to Memorial Day Spring Schedule as a possibility. Summer School may shrink to one session. (the effects on College Basketball and Winter Sports could be interesting. Maybe Basketball starts in January and April Madness is the "new norm")

mike87

Unread post by mike87 » Fri May 22, 2020 7:29 am

I read somewhere it isn't the heat it's the sunlight which produces vitamin D in the body and boosts immune system. Then heard that again from a local pediatrician.

If that's accurate we should schedule ECU again for Labor Day.

BallantyneApp

Unread post by BallantyneApp » Fri May 22, 2020 7:41 am

Mjohn1988 wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 7:12 pm
asu66 wrote:
its not the flu, but how all other coronavirus' timelines have been in the past. This is somewhat supported by the relatively minor outbreaks in the southern hemisphere during their summer.

it will also be telling to see what-if any "second" waves southern hemisphere countries have, as they are about to enter their winter.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Fri May 22, 2020 7:58 am

UV generally is not good for living cells. The higher frequency has more energy and the amount of energy can kill cells by messing with cell DNA and the thymine in particular. RNA does not have thymine and SARS-CoV-2 is RNA driven so I assume the UV is attacking other parts of the RNA is viruses that die down in the summer. The various types of influenza are also RNA driven so the fact that the flu dies down in the summer gives some hope for SARS-CoV-2.

Polio is a virus that was much more active in the summer and there are plenty of stories in this part of the country about the Miracle in Hickory and Greensboro has a new Road-side Historical Marker for their multi-racial Polio Hospital.

So some viruses die down and some do not in the summer.

UV in the UVB band converts cholesterol to Vitamin D and Vitamin D certainly helps with the immune system. My gut tells me this is secondary to the above but having a healthy immune system is never a bad thing that I am aware of.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Fri May 22, 2020 8:39 am

Schools and organizations are learning more and more about this virus, better data on who is at risk, and the severity of those risks.

CDC data estimates for mortality and hospitalizations are much lower than discussed the first couple of months. Simple math of cases and mortality rates of 4-6% the first couple months were inaccurate, much like the estimates for hospital beds needed.

The guidance of protect the elderly and those with preexisting conditions will prove to be the correct measure.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nc ... arios.html

canes_mj

Unread post by canes_mj » Fri May 22, 2020 10:44 am

BTK2000 wrote:
Just don't touch the dry sand on beaches

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Non-Appalachian General Discussion”