Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Dave Clawson Smack Talking

appstate77
School: Appalachian State

Re: Dave Clawson Smack Talking

Unread post by appstate77 » Sat May 23, 2020 2:12 pm

Have fun with that one in the locker room gentlemen!

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sat May 23, 2020 3:26 pm

NavyApp wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 2:10 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 2:00 pm
ncman071 wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 1:35 pm
see...i LOVE statements like this from opposing coaches...anything to provide extra motivation..i'll take it!! hell blow it up...plaster it all over the locker room, weight room, etc...cant wait to kick their ass
I say make about 1,000 signs of it and plaster it all over campus. Put it outside of classrooms, on the door and on the board room of every position room, every rack in the weight room, put a billboard of it in our stadium where everyone sees it every day they are on the field. I say print up shirts with it on there and give it to every player. Have every player put it in their bio on Twitter, write it in their notebooks. Make this our motto for the year.
In the infamous words of the HMIC "LET'S SANDPAPER THAT ASS!"
I hope this is used as fuel to motivate. We have to play the game so the bottom line is that none of this matters in the end but anything to give us fuel to make us work even harder is good for us. We are good enough that you don't want to make us mad. I would never want to give their team bulletin board material either. I know they are a solid team and this game could go either way. I just hope we capitalize on this and use it.

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Sun May 24, 2020 7:12 am

Fatal mistake by Clawson, the tweet should have been, “beat ODU”.

kornegaylw

Unread post by kornegaylw » Sun May 24, 2020 4:36 pm

Apple@chin1 wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 7:01 pm

Put Zac Thomas behind center in ‘17 and the game isn’t even close. No disrespect to Taylor Lamb, but, he’s no Zac.
Lamb didnt have the arm strength or running speed that ZT does but in no way was he a step down from ZT. I never feared him throwing the ball. Of the 3 best QBs we've had (Armanti, Lamb & ZT) I think it really depends on the scheme you want to run which QB you pick. You cant go wrong with any of them though.

Apple@chin1

Unread post by Apple@chin1 » Mon May 25, 2020 12:01 pm

kornegaylw wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 4:36 pm
Apple@chin1 wrote:

Put Zac Thomas behind center in ‘17 and the game isn’t even close. No disrespect to Taylor Lamb, but, he’s no Zac.
Lamb didnt have the arm strength or running speed that ZT does but in no way was he a step down from ZT. I never feared him throwing the ball. Of the 3 best QBs we've had (Armanti, Lamb & ZT) I think it really depends on the scheme you want to run which QB you pick. You cant go wrong with any of them though.
I’ll never dispute TL’s place in the App State record books or what he means to people who love the program as I do. But, if all 3 were together on the same team, my starting lineup would be AE, ZT pushing hard for starting reps, and TL calling in plays from the sideline. I don’t think he would be second string on the 2020 team. I mean no disrespect to him. It’s just my opinion.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Mon May 25, 2020 12:30 pm

kornegaylw wrote:
Apple@chin1 wrote:

Let me ask you a question. When you are picking the best QB that gives you the most options? You want the guy with the most ability who can run the fastest, accurate, strongest arm, etc. Right? You said ZT is better than Lamb in those regards so ZT is the better player.

You are having trouble admitting it because Lamb won so many games but he is not as good of a player as ZT is and AE was. If we were in FCS right now then I would have no issue with putting all 3 names in a hat and going with it but with where we are now ZT and AE are the better players. Lamb was a great Sun Belt QB but I would take Thomas and Edwards both to the ACC and roll. Both showed they can beat those caliber of teams. That is something Lamb was never able to do. Lamb can beat Texas State by 30 but never saw him beat the Big Ten, SEC, and ACC. AE and ZT both did it.

Ask any coach on talent and they want the player with the most upside. Lamb did not have much upside. He was a very smart, savvy, and productive college player who did well against the G5 and FCS but he was not a P5 caliber player who was going to get you the wins to be a top 25 team like AE and ZT can.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Mon May 25, 2020 12:35 pm

Apple@chin1 wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 12:01 pm
kornegaylw wrote:
Apple@chin1 wrote:

I’ll never dispute TL’s place in the App State record books or what he means to people who love the program as I do. But, if all 3 were together on the same team, my starting lineup would be AE, ZT pushing hard for starting reps, and TL calling in plays from the sideline. I don’t think he would be second string on the 2020 team. I mean no disrespect to him. It’s just my opinion.
Exactly. I appreciate Taylor Lamb and no doubt he was one of the best to come through the SBC but there is no question that Edwards and Thomas are better players. They could beat P5 opponents and are better athletes. Lamb was a good player overall and had one of the best careers at App but just being in the record books does not make you better by default.

I would be curious to hear people's thoughts on DE between Jason Hunter and Josh Jeffries. Jason Hunter was probably the most talented and toughest DE to stop that we ever had but he only started for one year. If he had the FBI and smarts to learn the system much sooner he probably walks away from App as the sack and TFL leader. Instead, Josh Jeffries was a smart, hard worker who put in the time and was able to walk away with records. He was a great player for us but he will even tell you that Hunter could do things he could not. Put Hunter's length, speed, and athletic ability on Jeffries and you have a 12 year NFL pro and multiple Pro Bowls. Josh Jeffries was the best career but nobody who works in the game will argue that he was a more talented player than Hunter.

ah59396

Unread post by ah59396 » Mon May 25, 2020 12:43 pm

Call me crazy but I have a tough time talking smack to Wake given they beat us in Boone the last time we saw each other.
YNWA

huskie3

Unread post by huskie3 » Mon May 25, 2020 12:53 pm

We definitely need to keep Wake outside the 35, their kicker has the leg and accuracy to hit from 45 in.
Bring Your A Game!

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Mon May 25, 2020 1:27 pm

Does Wake lose a lot from last year?

NavyApp

Unread post by NavyApp » Mon May 25, 2020 1:34 pm

Saint3333 wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 1:27 pm
Does Wake lose a lot from last year?
They lost their QB.
FREQS AND GEEKS!

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Mon May 25, 2020 1:38 pm

ah59396 wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 12:43 pm
Call me crazy but I have a tough time talking smack to Wake given they beat us in Boone the last time we saw each other.
You’re crazy. ;)

Seriously, they probably have some measure of bragging rights for that. But the question of best program in the state in 2020 doesn’t hinge on the outcome of one game played in 2017.

ah59396

Unread post by ah59396 » Mon May 25, 2020 2:31 pm

EastHallApp wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 1:38 pm
ah59396 wrote:
You’re crazy. ;)

Seriously, they probably have some measure of bragging rights for that. But the question of best program in the state in 2020 doesn’t hinge on the outcome of one game played in 2017.
That’s fair. I just have trouble crowing at another team that has a winning record against us and won the most recent matchup, at our house. Obviously there’s some nuance there given we were FCS for virtually every matchup.

Get a W this fall in Winston-Salem and I’ll feel worlds better about all this “best in the state” talk. As it stands now we’ve got recent(ish) losses to ECU, NC State and Wake staring us in the face. I’d like to see the scoreboard do a bit more talking for us!
YNWA

Apple@chin1

Unread post by Apple@chin1 » Mon May 25, 2020 3:09 pm

ah59396 wrote:
I don’t mind the smack talk. It helps build quality rivalries between passionate fan bases. Besides, as I see it, we are a MUCH better team than 3 years ago and Wake didn’t beat us. We beat ourselves. The kicking game (once again) cost us another P5 win. Our Achilles Heel for too many years.

ah59396

Unread post by ah59396 » Mon May 25, 2020 3:20 pm

Apple@chin1 wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 3:09 pm
ah59396 wrote:
I don’t mind the smack talk. It helps build quality rivalries between passionate fan bases. Besides, as I see it, we are a MUCH better team than 3 years ago and Wake didn’t beat us. We beat ourselves. The kicking game (once again) cost us another P5 win. Our Achilles Heel for too many years.
3 bad plays away from having wins over Tennessee, Wake Forest And Penn State. Ugh.
YNWA

NavyApp

Unread post by NavyApp » Mon May 25, 2020 3:33 pm

ah59396 wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 3:20 pm
Apple@chin1 wrote:
ah59396 wrote:
3 bad plays away from having wins over Tennessee, Wake Forest And Penn State. Ugh.
Those losses definitely hurt. In the long run though I think they have helped get our program to where it is now. That adversity, knowing we were right there but coming up just short fueled a fire in our program to push even harder. Not just the coaches but also the players; you can sense the determination. These guys have taken our program to a whole new level and I really believe it was those close losses that encouraged that growth. There is no stagnation, no satisfaction with mediocrity this program continues to push for new heights and I love it!
FREQS AND GEEKS!

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Mon May 25, 2020 4:39 pm

ah59396 wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 2:31 pm
EastHallApp wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 1:38 pm
ah59396 wrote:
You’re crazy. ;)

That’s fair. I just have trouble crowing at another team that has a winning record against us and won the most recent matchup, at our house. Obviously there’s some nuance there given we were FCS for virtually every matchup.

Get a W this fall in Winston-Salem and I’ll feel worlds better about all this “best in the state” talk. As it stands now we’ve got recent(ish) losses to ECU, NC State and Wake staring us in the face. I’d like to see the scoreboard do a bit more talking for us!
I definitely want the H2H wins as well. But that State loss happened so long ago, Chuck Amato was their coach. ECU has completely disintegrated since we last played them (not to mention App's ascent). The only in-state games we've played recently enough to be relevant are Wake, UNC and UNCC.

I agree that our FCS days make this tough to evaluate if we're talking who's the best program long-term. But if that's the case, Wake's not even in the discussion. So pretty clearly Clawson was talking about as of today. And as of today, the scoreboard says we're 24-3 the last two years and have ended both as by far the state's top team according to both major polls.

moonshine

Unread post by moonshine » Mon May 25, 2020 4:45 pm

Didn’t want to start a new thread and since this is Weak related, thought some of you would enjoy the insight.

Picked up via free agency by the High Country All-Stars

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Mon May 25, 2020 5:07 pm

Listen....Charlotte still talks smack....
Clausen plays us. He gets props from me.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Mon May 25, 2020 5:28 pm

NavyApp wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 3:33 pm
ah59396 wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 3:20 pm
Apple@chin1 wrote:
ah59396 wrote:
Those losses definitely hurt. In the long run though I think they have helped get our program to where it is now. That adversity, knowing we were right there but coming up just short fueled a fire in our program to push even harder. Not just the coaches but also the players; you can sense the determination. These guys have taken our program to a whole new level and I really believe it was those close losses that encouraged that growth. There is no stagnation, no satisfaction with mediocrity this program continues to push for new heights and I love it!
Wake Forest is also better but the interesting thing here is that we return our QB while they will have a new one. The expectations are high but we will see. If we can win the QB battle though I expect to win the game. Both programs have come a long way from 1995. My question is are they about the same from 2017 or are they going to be better? It will be interesting. I just know I don't want to just beat these guys but I want to win by double digits. I really hope we can make a good statement.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”