Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

App cutting multiple sports

APPdiesel
School: Appalachian State

Re: App cutting multiple sports

Unread post by APPdiesel » Wed May 27, 2020 7:48 am

appparent7 wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 3:22 pm
as a parent of a student who's team was just cut this hurts. wish they didn't expand the end zone and saved some money.
Hindsight. The decision to build the end zone facility happened way before coronavirus started. What would you have them do, stop mid project, have an unusable construction site sitting inside the jewel of our athletic department?

It doesn’t help the athletes competing now but hopefully every school that’s cutting sports can find a way to bring them back in time.
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed May 27, 2020 8:00 am

appparent7 wrote:
as a parent of a student who's team was just cut this hurts. wish they didn't expand the end zone and saved some money.
I am very sorry for how this affected your family. I can understand the emotions right now. Having said that, these chain of events were put into motion when states started shutting down and more importantly, the NCAA canceled the Men’s and Women’s basketball tournaments. This creates massive holes in the revenue sharing that athletic departments depend on. I understand that you are looking at things through a jaded lens at the moment but you are casting blame at the wrong parts of the equation.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Wed May 27, 2020 8:46 am

APPdiesel wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 7:48 am
appparent7 wrote:
Hindsight. The decision to build the end zone facility happened way before coronavirus started. What would you have them do, stop mid project, have an unusable construction site sitting inside the jewel of our athletic department?

It doesn’t help the athletes competing now but hopefully every school that’s cutting sports can find a way to bring them back in time.
Exactly. The funding for the construction projects is not coming from operating revenue. That funding is purpose specific and could not be diverted to pay scholarships and salaries. Yes, we will have debt service down the road but we aren't there yet. The point is, as Diesel pointed out, those commitments were made long before there was any discussion of a pandemic.

MAD Doctor

Unread post by MAD Doctor » Wed May 27, 2020 8:47 am

Most of you may be aware of this, but just in case you didn't know- All of the student athlete's affected by yesterday's cuts will have their scholarships honored. Furthermore, if the athlete wishes to transfer to a school that still has the sport, our university will assist them in finding a new school. Although I'm still saddened by the news, it is good to know that our student athletes are not being forced out the door without an opportunity to complete their education.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed May 27, 2020 8:56 am

MAD Doctor wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:47 am
Most of you may be aware of this, but just in case you didn't know- All of the student athlete's affected by yesterday's cuts will have their scholarships honored. Furthermore, if the athlete wishes to transfer to a school that still has the sport, our university will assist them in finding a new school. Although I'm still saddened by the news, it is good to know that our student athletes are not being forced out the door without an opportunity to complete their education.
We are also honoring any NLI signed for the next school year for Freshmen.

YesAppCan

Unread post by YesAppCan » Wed May 27, 2020 9:30 am

I feel for those affected, I hope all can figure out how to proceed. That being said, Appalachian has needed to cut some sports for years. We sponsored more sports than ANY G-5 school in the country. The NCAA minimum for Division 1 is 15, we had 20... I suspect, going forward, the NCAA may drop that minimum to 13 or 14 sports. Even the big boys are feeling the effects. My guess is that App isn't finished with cuts. I would hope that those affected that are upset can see that 1) there was no choice in cutting sports and 2) The North EndZone monies are NOT coming from operating budgets. Also, Kyle Busch's car that had App State on it was GIVEN through Joe Gibbs and Mars M & M's (Mark Ricks- who gave 10 million dollars to App athletics a couple years ago).

HkyMtneer

Unread post by HkyMtneer » Wed May 27, 2020 9:50 am

APPdiesel wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 7:48 am
appparent7 wrote:

The much-discussed conference realignment(s) would be the best thing to happen to the hope/promise/dream of possibly one day reinstating lost programs around the NCAA. Smaller footprints (and all the things that come with more geographically relevant conferences) would mean substantial savings in the good times, and may mean salvaging programs on-the-block in the bad times...like now.

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Wed May 27, 2020 10:28 am

MAD Doctor wrote:
Is this valid for as long as they're in school? Technically there is no such thing as a full ride. The scholarship renews annually.
Twitter: @brosef_yosef

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed May 27, 2020 11:21 am

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 10:28 am
MAD Doctor wrote:
Is this valid for as long as they're in school? Technically there is no such thing as a full ride. The scholarship renews annually.
That is correct. They get to keep the scholarship at the initial level of the grant until they graduate. I imagine that there may be some conditions on what graduate means. If you are a rising junior, you have two years, etc.

App91

Unread post by App91 » Wed May 27, 2020 12:24 pm

Any idea how many schollys this accounts for or what the budget was for those sports?

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Wed May 27, 2020 1:35 pm

hapapp wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 3:49 pm
It hasnt been a week, it seems, that several tennis signings were announced. I would guess some folks are now thrust into finding a place to land. Having had two kids play soccer in college, I can only imagine how I would react if this happened to them.

All of my circuit breakers have been surge-spiked. I've got a helluva lot to say, but my wife has convinced me that it's better left unsaid 'till I can cool off.

I feel so very sad for coach O'Keefe. He told me a week or so ago that he already had 6 solid commits for '21. Program changin' commits he indicated...now this... :(

We can hang considerable chunks of blame for the Men's Soccer decision on Charlie Cobb. Everyone with any serious connection with the program realized that the decision to move the soccer venue off-campus and across town could someday become an excuse for cutting the program. The long-term commitment was no longer there. Charlie, of course, didn't initiate Covid-19 but he set the stage for what has now been done. Completely disgusting...
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed May 27, 2020 1:40 pm

App91 wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 12:24 pm
Any idea how many schollys this accounts for or what the budget was for those sports?
The scholarships equate to somewhere a bit north of 300k.

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Wed May 27, 2020 6:30 pm

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 10:28 am
MAD Doctor wrote:
All of the sports being cut are NCAA D-I Men's Equivalency Sports--meaning that there's no requirement for one scholarship to = one player. Partial grants are the name of the game. Full grants can be offered but that would be exceedingly rare for the sports we're losing.

For example, the NCAA limit for D-I MSOC is 9.9 grants. Even if App funded the full 9.9 (and we never have), the average D-I roster carries 20-25 guys plus two or three redshirts. That probably means that 12 or 15 guys are getting some aid and the balance of the roster are kids playing for the love of the sport. We'll pretty definitely be saving more in MSOC coaching salaries, benefits, uniforms, recruiting expenses, team travel and officiating expenses than what we'll save in soccer scholarship dollars.

Seems pretty straightforward and reasonable for a Mid-Major program BUT it all adds up to high six-figures $$$,$$$ at the AD's desk. I detest the action being taken, but I
understand the reason for it. Still a sad, sad week for App Soccer players, Soccer Alumni, parents and the multi-generational friends of the storied 60 year-old program.
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

DoubleA

Unread post by DoubleA » Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:24 pm

the loss of men’s soccer is a bitter pill to swallow, at least for those of us who witnessed the remarkable success during the 70’s and early 80’s. While the program had struggled a bit for various reasons, we were encouraged when Doug took over as AD and seemed committed to keeping, and building MSOC. a national coaching search was conducted in 2016 when Jason O’Keefe was hired as the new HC. Jason really seemed to be a great hire. He recruited well, was building a strong foundation, and was on the cusp of making some noise on the field, after posting a winning record and beating UNC In 2019. funny thing is, we had just extended His contract - and then blindsided coaches, players, and alums with this.

PoplarHillApp

Unread post by PoplarHillApp » Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:39 am

Are there any rumblings of any other sports on the "chopping block"?

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:36 pm

The max we could cut would be one more sport since I believe we are now at 17.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:02 pm

I have to wonder how cutting indoor track for men is going to affect mans track overall. Do most compete in both?

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:30 pm

bcoach wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:02 pm
I have to wonder how cutting indoor track for men is going to affect mans track overall. Do most compete in both?
Same thought. I think the answer is yes.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:37 am

bcoach wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:02 pm
That was my thought as well. I have to think it will have a significant impact on the outdoor T&F team. Our chances of rising in the SunBelt just plummeted. It also seems the benefit is minimal since the coaches and scholarships were shared with Outdoor T&F. I'm sure they ran the numbers but it's a decision I have trouble understanding. I'm biased though.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:42 am

DG addressed the reason for dropping indoor T&F. It was due to a lack of training space to field a competitive team.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian General Discussion”