Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Spring 2021 Football?

bcoach
School: Appalachian State

Re: Spring 2021 Football?

Unread post by bcoach » Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:36 am

Yosef84 wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:25 am
No doubt that a Spring season would make it difficult on the players next Fall. I'll let the guys with experience playing college football speak to that. Regarding the draft, if the NFL will not postpone the draft date, I wonder if the NCAA would grant a waiver allowing the players to continue playing if desired. Question: Once the NFL team drafts a player, do they have rights that would prevent them from playing? (Protecting their asset)?
If you have been drafted why would you play another college game? Would not be a very smart business decision.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:48 am

bcoach wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:36 am
Yosef84 wrote:
No doubt that a Spring season would make it difficult on the players next Fall. I'll let the guys with experience playing college football speak to that. Regarding the draft, if the NFL will not postpone the draft date, I wonder if the NCAA would grant a waiver allowing the players to continue playing if desired. Question: Once the NFL team drafts a player, do they have rights that would prevent them from playing? (Protecting their asset)?
If you have been drafted why would you play another college game? Would not be a very smart business decision.
Good question. I would say because it is finishing something I began. I do understand the "business decision" part in that it represents a risk. That said, I really hate the trend toward top athletes not playing in bowl games. That's a different situation since they haven't been drafted yet, but it's my personal view on the situation.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:01 am

bcoach wrote:
Yosef84 wrote:
Well, baseball players do it, but obviously a much different level of risk there. Hockey players play entire seasons in college after being drafted, but of course that's a different system entirely.

Another question is, for the elite prospects, does it even matter if the draft has been held? For guys like Lawrence and Fields, they know they're going right at the top anyway.

(Just reread the OP and I realized the poster is raising an eligibility question, which is a separate matter.)

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:07 am

Yosef84 wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:48 am
bcoach wrote:
Yosef84 wrote:
Good question. I would say because it is finishing something I began. I do understand the "business decision" part in that it represents a risk. That said, I really hate the trend toward top athletes not playing in bowl games. That's a different situation since they haven't been drafted yet, but it's my personal view on the situation.
I agree with you 100% but we are in a new day and commitment is not what it used to be. Now it is all about business decisions. Sad but true. It was being discussed yesterday on local sports talk. If it goes to spring Trevor will most certainly not be playing at Clemson. Would they still be favored to win another championship? All kind of interesting things going to happen.

Neer86

Unread post by Neer86 » Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:21 am

bcoach wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:15 pm
No first round draft pick is going to play spring ball.

this is interesting. I think there is a chance that only conference games will be played this year in all sports. But if we do roll on up to Wisconsin, I wonder how many of their best players may not play to protect their NFL careers?

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:26 pm

Still find it hard to believe that the major FBS football conferences (P5 less the Pac12) would forfeit all that tv money and not play in the fall. While it would hurt schools like App to have social distancing in the stands, 1/4 capacity at most, the big conferences would still be better off with the tv revenue even though they would lose millions on the gate. Time will tell but money usually wins out, hence the reason so many States tried to reopen their economies too soon.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:59 pm

t4pizza wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:26 pm
Still find it hard to believe that the major FBS football conferences (P5 less the Pac12) would forfeit all that tv money and not play in the fall. While it would hurt schools like App to have social distancing in the stands, 1/4 capacity at most, the big conferences would still be better off with the tv revenue even though they would lose millions on the gate. Time will tell but money usually wins out, hence the reason so many States tried to reopen their economies too soon.
Something that was said to me yesterday made me think about that. I have been told one of the folks very involved ( at least in this case and not APP ) is the universities attorneys. Lawsuits and reputation could be devestating if one or two players died of the virus was their message. When my jaw dropped over this he said " relax that was attorney talk not moral decision talk ". So just " attorney talk " what could the financial risk be of going back and playing too earley? I am so very happy it is not my decision to make. I will say this this though. I would be much more concerned with the health of the students and not the money. I would not decide to play in the fall if we don't learn much more about this. They are starting to see lingering effects on folks who have recovered now that time has gone on.
Again, I am glad I don't have to make the decision.

SpeedkingATL

Unread post by SpeedkingATL » Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:09 pm

I have my doubts about the NBA, MLB and other team professional leagues being able to finish their seasons at this point with lot of positive tests and some players opting out already. As far as college football, there has been such a huge uptick in young people testing positive for the virus recently, it's hard to imagine how the fall sports seasons can play out. Hope springs eternal ….

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:40 am

There's substantial reports that Michigan is looking to call off its first two games, which are Washington and Arkansas State.

What if the MEAC decides not to start on time? Then the Morgan State opener is off the table.

I feel like a lot of university leaders are hesitating so someone else can be the first to postpone the season and attract the blowback.

Also of note, no other App fall sport has released its schedule yet.

TractorApp

Unread post by TractorApp » Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:55 pm

Talked to a friend of mine today whose son is on scholarship at Syracuse. He just was released from 14 day quarantine after testing positive for Covid. He is telling his dad they all doubt we have a fall season this year.

TractorApp

Unread post by TractorApp » Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:57 pm

Talked to a friend of mine today whose son is on scholarship at Syracuse. His son was just released from 14 day quarantine after testing positive for Covid. He is telling his dad they all doubt we have a fall season this year.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:18 pm

Mid March seems like 2 years ago- when this all started. I think that a majority of the population is just tired of it all and want to live their lives. No way in hell college kids will comply. I can’t see NBA guys staying in a bubble for months. Certain aspects of life can’t be given up easily. College ball isn’t gonna happen.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:56 pm

bcoach wrote:
Yosef84 wrote:
Baseball players do it but I personally don't see why a player would. However, I hope they move the draft back and give a waiver to get another year. People don't realize the players who are not on the NFL radar right now that pop up in the fall, all-star games, and pro days. The Senior Bowl keeps saying online they will play no matter what and adjust but I feel like that is optimistic to play because I can't see top 100 seniors even risking to play unless there is a vaccine. One draft prospect get it and die at a bowl game and the lawsuits would be crazy I imagine.

BurkeGrad

Unread post by BurkeGrad » Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:27 pm

How is Spring football going to happen if a second wave comes in late autumn/winter? Maybe if a miracle happens such as a safe and available vaccine being mass produced or the virus substantially weakens and no second wave transpires. Players will need to begin practice in February and games start in March. Unfortunately, IMO not going to happen. Wishful thinking by some college coaches and ADs if the fall season is cancelled.
Check out Ed Hardin’s article on greensboro.com, Football isn't happening; we're better than this
Maybe the NFL & NFLPA can pull off a schedule from September to December but not looking good for high school & college.

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:55 pm

BurkeGrad wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:27 pm
How is Spring football going to happen if a second wave comes in late autumn/winter? Maybe if a miracle happens such as a safe and available vaccine being mass produced or the virus substantially weakens and no second wave transpires. Players will need to begin practice in February and games start in March. Unfortunately, IMO not going to happen. Wishful thinking by some college coaches and ADs if the fall season is cancelled.
Check out Ed Hardin’s article on greensboro.com, Football isn't happening; we're better than this
Maybe the NFL & NFLPA can pull off a schedule from September to December but not looking good for high school & college.
I refuse to read anything he writes.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

Appgrad91

Unread post by Appgrad91 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:27 am

I am having a hard time being optimistic about football this year as well. Let's assume that we do have games. How will that even work out. We will have flu season this fall like always. How many of us have a fever at least once a year? A fever now changes the game if your an athlete. You have to get tested and wait a couple of days for the results and then quarantine rules. We all know how bad it was to lose to GA Southern 2 years ago when Zac and Jordan were out of the game. We have such high expectations around here. Imagine going into a game with 10 key players out (and yes that would be our luck against The stink). How will the decision be made on who gets to attend games?
This really sucks. This is my son's first year and sad that he will not get the same game day experience I had at App. Praying for a miracle here.

appst89
Site Admin

Unread post by appst89 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:37 am

Appgrad91 wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:27 am
This really sucks. This is my son's first year and sad that he will not get the same game day experience I had at App. Praying for a miracle here.
Not to derail the thread completely, but this was supposed to be my son's freshman year at App too. Based on his updated schedule, all but one class will be completely online. I cannot justify paying full tuition for him to go sit in his dorm. He will be attending community college this fall, and probably spring as well.

PBR1893-BEER-HAT-GUY

Unread post by PBR1893-BEER-HAT-GUY » Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:49 pm

appst89 wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:37 am
Appgrad91 wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:27 am
Trying to make you laugh...not being a dickhead....

Can he redshirt his first year?

mikeyosef

Unread post by mikeyosef » Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:11 am

BurkeGrad wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:27 pm
I can't stand him but I read Ed Hardin's article and as much as I hate to say it, I think he may be right. We all LOVE college football, but let's be honest, the only reason the season hasn't already been cancelled or postponed to Spring is money. It's a sad testament to the state of Collegiate sports that the issue is that obvious.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”