Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Turf Replacement Pics

AppinVA
School: Appalachian State

Re: Turf Replacement Pics

Unread post by AppinVA » Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:38 am

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:53 am
AppinVA wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:06 am
Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:23 am
AppinVA wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:44 pm
Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:36 pm
How I got my Owens brick:

My school's PTA gave a bit of money for a charter bus for students to visit Boone and tour the campus in the spring of 2019.

A lot of juniors were going though I had mostly 9th graders that semester, but a few 10th and 9th graders as well. I suggested I should also go on this trip since I knew the campus. Our counselor agreed.

I talked her into letting me drive myself so I could get up to Boone 10 minutes early and then I could more easily help with bus parking and getting the students to John Thomas Hall where the tour started. Part of that was also so I could stay behind as this was also the same day of the ladies WBI championship game, and I could have dinner with my daughter for a two-fer. After the tour a few students wanted to visit KBS so I told them I would walk them that way instead of giving them time in the student store with their classmates. Sure enough there just happened to be a construction worker near that side and I had a chance to ask for a couple bricks and they were nice enough to grab me two. So I kept one brick and gave one to my daughter.

I walked the students back to the bus and sent them back to Greensboro. I stayed behind and watched the ladies win their second WBI. Everything just worked out perfectly that day and none of it was really planned by me except inviting my daughter up to Boone after she was done teaching for the day.
I was up there that day (went to the game and I caught a couple innings of the softball game as well) and I remember seeing a group of kids touring the campus. I kept running across them as I walked to get in my steps. Too many kids and too few parents to be a regular perspective student group. I bet it was your group. Wish I had known.
There were a few smaller family tours checking in it seems but I think we were the only large group that day. It was well done. We went from John Thomas Hall to some meeting rooms in Plemmons and had lunch in Central Dining. The tour guides did a good job walking backwards and talking.

I doubt we go back to App for a few years as we are trying to work in a variety of, mostly, public universities around the state so Charlotte and maybe ECU getting worked in along with some visits to the Triangle schools. For the distance I doubt we go to WCU but UNC-P or Fayetteville State would be good trips for our student population, and that is not a part of the state I get to often myself.

Our supper PTA president had her son graduate in the spring and her rising freshman daughter is opting for a different magnet school. These trips may dry up for that reason and certainly I see fund-raising being harder to do, not even counting for social distancing, with unemployment being what it is.

It would have been nice to meet up. After the bus left to take the students back to Greensboro I had some time to kill.
Of course, we have to get back in school and THEN get the green flag for field trips. One of the greatest joys of teaching is seeing a student on a field trip like that figuring out that higher education is possible, and yes, they can do this.

Agreed. It would have been nice. The trip was a spur of the moment thing, partly for a meeting with admissions to see if we could get my daughter’s tuition to a more manageable level. Long story short, she’s at VCU.
Our twins are rising seniors at Meredith and Davidson. Both presented well enough for very good scholarships at both of these schools but with the small foundation at App there were not in the running for scholarships at App that would have made that a cheaper option than either of the two privates (which is very telling about the amount of money App has to give.) The one at Davidson wanted a small school so Davidson is what she really wanted. The one at Meredith wanted international travel and is getting that but she really did want football, and nothing against Meredith, but even Davidson football could take down Meredith football. The Meredith daughter is hoping to find a one year Advanced Standing Master in Social Work in her area AND a school with football. She also attended the two years at Sci and Math in Durham so no football there.

I know this board is mostly about athletics at App (and lately politics in the country) but I always like to make a push to give to the broader Appalachian Fund and not solely to the Yosef Club. App lost two VERY good students in my twins and I am sure there are others out there in the same situation that are just as and even more deserving than my twins.Due to the lack of scholarship dollars for our oldest daughter that attended App I will be paying off some parent loans into the foreseeable future and until that is paid off the Yosef Club will be getting a much smaller donation from me (and the Appalachian Fund will as well, though I always make sure to give more to the Appalachian Fund than YC as a deliberate action on my part.) I gave some to both pots of money at App but not as much as I would like.
You make some good points. Our biggest problem was being out of state and some documentation we thought they had, but they apparently didn’t, but endowment money would’ve been nice.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:45 am

AppinVA wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:38 am
Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:53 am
AppinVA wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:06 am
Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:23 am
AppinVA wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:44 pm

I was up there that day (went to the game and I caught a couple innings of the softball game as well) and I remember seeing a group of kids touring the campus. I kept running across them as I walked to get in my steps. Too many kids and too few parents to be a regular perspective student group. I bet it was your group. Wish I had known.
There were a few smaller family tours checking in it seems but I think we were the only large group that day. It was well done. We went from John Thomas Hall to some meeting rooms in Plemmons and had lunch in Central Dining. The tour guides did a good job walking backwards and talking.

I doubt we go back to App for a few years as we are trying to work in a variety of, mostly, public universities around the state so Charlotte and maybe ECU getting worked in along with some visits to the Triangle schools. For the distance I doubt we go to WCU but UNC-P or Fayetteville State would be good trips for our student population, and that is not a part of the state I get to often myself.

Our supper PTA president had her son graduate in the spring and her rising freshman daughter is opting for a different magnet school. These trips may dry up for that reason and certainly I see fund-raising being harder to do, not even counting for social distancing, with unemployment being what it is.

It would have been nice to meet up. After the bus left to take the students back to Greensboro I had some time to kill.
Of course, we have to get back in school and THEN get the green flag for field trips. One of the greatest joys of teaching is seeing a student on a field trip like that figuring out that higher education is possible, and yes, they can do this.

Agreed. It would have been nice. The trip was a spur of the moment thing, partly for a meeting with admissions to see if we could get my daughter’s tuition to a more manageable level. Long story short, she’s at VCU.
Our twins are rising seniors at Meredith and Davidson. Both presented well enough for very good scholarships at both of these schools but with the small foundation at App there were not in the running for scholarships at App that would have made that a cheaper option than either of the two privates (which is very telling about the amount of money App has to give.) The one at Davidson wanted a small school so Davidson is what she really wanted. The one at Meredith wanted international travel and is getting that but she really did want football, and nothing against Meredith, but even Davidson football could take down Meredith football. The Meredith daughter is hoping to find a one year Advanced Standing Master in Social Work in her area AND a school with football. She also attended the two years at Sci and Math in Durham so no football there.

I know this board is mostly about athletics at App (and lately politics in the country) but I always like to make a push to give to the broader Appalachian Fund and not solely to the Yosef Club. App lost two VERY good students in my twins and I am sure there are others out there in the same situation that are just as and even more deserving than my twins.Due to the lack of scholarship dollars for our oldest daughter that attended App I will be paying off some parent loans into the foreseeable future and until that is paid off the Yosef Club will be getting a much smaller donation from me (and the Appalachian Fund will as well, though I always make sure to give more to the Appalachian Fund than YC as a deliberate action on my part.) I gave some to both pots of money at App but not as much as I would like.
You make some good points. Our biggest problem was being out of state and some documentation we thought they had, but they apparently didn’t, but endowment money would’ve been nice.
VCU is a good school. It is nice to have good options in both states of various sizes and such with post-secondary schooling. I am not sure if every state can say that.

Did you talk her out of being a teacher or was that never in the cards for her?
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:00 pm

Never in the cards. She’s going into political science, and has had excellent opportunities with a lobbying group that she can only get in a state capital. It was the right move for her, though if the opportunity arose, and the money was right, she’d still drop everything for App. As stupid a decision as that is, I wouldn’t blame her and would do the same thing.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:54 pm

A paternal aunt has BS amd MS degrees from ASTC and ASU. She was a math teacher for many years and never talked me out of being a teacher beyond making one comment to do something else with my physics degree. No one else in my family of aunts uncles and cousins on both sides attended 4-years collefge except for me and my sister so no one had a chance to speak up for or against. My wife and I did not try to persuade our oldest from her early childhood degree. Our oldest twin is going into social work, which is about the same pay as an teacher but it is something she will be great at. The younger twin is still unsure of what she wants to do but an delay that with grad school.

Being in Richmond and the state capital certainly helps and she is not but a quick jump on VRE and can be in DC. I mainly mention the last thing so I can bring up a train ride. :-)

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:29 pm

Every time I click on this thread I hope for updated pictures but sadly no it’s just windbag BS.

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:32 pm

bigdaddyg wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:29 pm
Every time I click on this thread I hope for updated pictures but sadly no it’s just windbag BS.
Sorry for the thread jack.

But the “windbag BS” kind of hurts, considering we were talking about our daughters.

Still, I get it.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:49 pm

AppinVA wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:32 pm
bigdaddyg wrote:

But the “windbag BS” kind of hurts, considering we were talking about our daughters.

Still, I get it.
One of which is an alumna and involved in both the brick story and the purchase of some old turf.

With that said I'll not post more in the thread unless it contains pics of field. Not an unreasonable request. Though they will have to suffer through the previous post and this post now.

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:40 pm

Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:49 pm
AppinVA wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:32 pm
bigdaddyg wrote:

Still, I get it.
One of which is an alumna and involved in both the brick story and the purchase of some old turf.

With that said I'll not post more in the thread unless it contains pics of field. Not an unreasonable request. Though they will have to suffer through the previous post and this post now.
I present BS on turf.

appstate24

Unread post by appstate24 » Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:49 pm

Can someone in Boone or close by please get us some updated photos of the field. Pretty pretty please.
We got some great recruiting news today, some stadium pics would be the cherry on top. Help us all out... :lol:

GO APPS!!

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:00 pm

Here’s some sorta recent ones from HC Press.
https://www.hcpress.com/news/new-turf-i ... edule.html
Last edited by Appstate88 on Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:07 pm

GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

Seattleapp

Unread post by Seattleapp » Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:19 am

bigdaddyg wrote:

That’s uncalled for. Nothing is stopping you from driving to Boone and taking a picture yourself and posting it on the page.

booneboy92

Unread post by booneboy92 » Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:22 am

I’m supposed to be up there Thursday. Just curious (for anyone who’s been there recently)... How close can u actually get for pix? I would guess from the top of the road on either side?

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:27 am

booneboy92 wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:22 am
I’m supposed to be up there Thursday. Just curious (for anyone who’s been there recently)... How close can u actually get for pix? I would guess from the top of the road on either side?
Gate was open on the east side when I went. I guess you could go as close as you want until they tell you to leave. If the gate is closed then yes, the viewing area on the east side heading up Stadium, or the shaded area near the indoor facility. Pictures don't do it justice. Be prepared to be amazed.
Twitter: @brosef_yosef

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:29 am

This may have already been addressed and I'm just too lazy to look back on old posts, but what's up with the area where the track was still being dirt? Are they not extending the turf that far?

booneboy92

Unread post by booneboy92 » Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:37 am

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:27 am
booneboy92 wrote:
Gate was open on the east side when I went. I guess you could go as close as you want until they tell you to leave. If the gate is closed then yes, the viewing area on the east side heading up Stadium, or the shaded area near the indoor facility. Pictures don't do it justice. Be prepared to be amazed.
Lol... I meant “Thanks! Can’t wait!” For this post!

appstate24

Unread post by appstate24 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:38 pm

booneboy92 wrote:
Okay Booneboy92, we are waiting on your pics from today.... :D :D

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:24 pm

From what I have heard over the past few weeks, 100% of the football team is to be in Boone by 31 July and the turf is supposed to be complete. Guess we will know tomorrow if someone will post some pics!
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:45 pm

appstate24 wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:38 pm
booneboy92 wrote:
And it's ok if they were taken with a flip phone. Pixelation is better than no pictures at all.

booneboy92

Unread post by booneboy92 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:22 pm

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:45 pm
appstate24 wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:38 pm
booneboy92 wrote:
Lol... I got a good phone!... Just don’t know how to use it!!! U weren’t sh*ttn’ when u said “Prepare to be amazed”, or “Pix don’t do it justice”! I’m here at the hotel now, trying to upload pix taken from inside the Athletics Center! We drove up there through the construction to find the front door open! Went into the lobby/trophy room, and stood there in awe (I had never been in there before)! Wow! Anyway, took a lot of pix (inside and out), including black toilet with gold plumbing (complete with an embossed block A on top!)!!! A staff member came through, and didn’t tell us we weren’t supposed to be in there till I asked... Said the door was open only so athletes/staff didn’t have to touch it going in/out. BTW, I really like the two tone turf! Anybody got detailed instructions for posting pix?... even though you can’t imagine without seeing it for Yosef?!?!

And it's ok if they were taken with a flip phone. Pixelation is better than no pictures at all.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”