Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

2021 Returning Seniors

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09
School: Appalachian State

2021 Returning Seniors

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:00 pm

Do you think we will have many seniors take advantage of the gift the NCAA gave of an extra year of eligibility? Can the program afford it? I don't think every senior would return. A few will be on NFL watch lists, while others might just be done with college and ready to move on with life but it will be something interesting to watch.
Twitter: @brosef_yosef

AppStFan1

Re: 2021 Returning Seniors

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:14 pm

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:00 pm
Do you think we will have many seniors take advantage of the gift the NCAA gave of an extra year of eligibility? Can the program afford it? I don't think every senior would return. A few will be on NFL watch lists, while others might just be done with college and ready to move on with life but it will be something interesting to watch.
There is no way every senior returns and if there was no season at all I could still see 3 or 4 of them going ahead to attempt to play in the NFL. I have a hard time picking who would return because I would think of who would truly benefit in terms of being NFL ready if they come back. I would imagine that our 3 senior OL might be the only ones that should return no matter what though since they are all seen as too small for the NFL but are the best in the SBC and could extend their playing careers one more year.

BallantyneApp

Unread post by BallantyneApp » Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:30 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:14 pm
There is no way every senior returns and if there was no season at all I could still see 3 or 4 of them going ahead to attempt to play in the NFL. I have a hard time picking who would return because I would think of who would truly benefit in terms of being NFL ready if they come back. I would imagine that our 3 senior OL might be the only ones that should return no matter what though since they are all seen as too small for the NFL but are the best in the SBC and could extend their playing careers one more year.
There's more to the calculus than just playing professionally. They may want to start their careers, or enroll in a grad program that App doesn't offer, or a myriad of other perfectly fine reasons to not play. Definitely feel bad for the seniors, really tough way to go for what is likely to be the best App team, or close. It'll be very hard to keep up the momentum for 2021.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:50 pm

OK - here is a question - (even if we play any or all games this season every player will be given an extra year of eligibility?) - can the extra year be spent at another school? =
Just a crazy example - Zac plays his entire senior year this season and has a great year - still another year to play - He decides he has always wanted to play for Nick Saban and his home state Crimson Tide and graduates and transfers to Alabama - Is this scenario possible? Legal? ???
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:12 pm

BallantyneApp wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:30 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:14 pm
There's more to the calculus than just playing professionally. They may want to start their careers, or enroll in a grad program that App doesn't offer, or a myriad of other perfectly fine reasons to not play. Definitely feel bad for the seniors, really tough way to go for what is likely to be the best App team, or close. It'll be very hard to keep up the momentum for 2021.
One of the things about being where we are is more and more players are eyeing the professional level. Agree that there are other factors though. For example, Huesman knows he won't play in the NFL but he has his career planned out already and a job waiting so I don't see him returning either way. I feel bad for this group as well. We had a schedule and team ready for a top 15 ranking and the NY6 only to have it taken away. About the only reason we can be ranked in the top 15 now is because of 2 P5s and MWC having pulled out of playing this fall. lol

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:18 pm

WVAPPeer wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:50 pm
OK - here is a question - (even if we play any or all games this season every player will be given an extra year of eligibility?) - can the extra year be spent at another school? =
Just a crazy example - Zac plays his entire senior year this season and has a great year - still another year to play - He decides he has always wanted to play for Nick Saban and his home state Crimson Tide and graduates and transfers to Alabama - Is this scenario possible? Legal? ???
Yes. If you graduate then you can obviously transfer somewhere else anyway. The one thing I was thinking about last week is how many players on our current team that would be wanted by P5 schools. I could see a ton who would have at least 1 P5 offer if we were to cancel our season now or would go after our players who graduate but may want to use a 6th year over the next couple years.

Could you imagine how many of our kids would be recruited to flip to P5s or the AAC right now if we had already pulled out of the season? I feel like we have 25-30 players who would be coveted by P5s or top G5 teams. That does not even include how many schools like Charlotte, JMU, etc would want.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:27 pm

That is exactly what I was thinking -
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:33 pm

WVAPPeer wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:27 pm
That is my fear. Any kid could fall for that allure. The issue they don't realize though is in many cases the P5 coaches want them for depth. I have seen a ton of cases where they want stars from FCS or below for depth and the kid never starts. I don't see anyone on our team starting at Alabama though. Zac would be brought in to backup Mac Jones though. If you are Zac, would you really want to go there just to sit on the bench?

NavyApp

Unread post by NavyApp » Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:36 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:33 pm
WVAPPeer wrote:
That is my fear. Any kid could fall for that allure. The issue they don't realize though is in many cases the P5 coaches want them for depth. I have seen a ton of cases where they want stars from FCS or below for depth and the kid never starts. I don't see anyone on our team starting at Alabama though. Zac would be brought in to backup Mac Jones though. If you are Zac, would you really want to go there just to sit on the bench?
No he wouldn't, but what about Mizzou or Louisville? Neither has a rock solid situation at QB and Zac would already have the upper hand in game experience under the HC in both situations. Not to mention being a proven commodity and winner
FREQS AND GEEKS!

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:41 pm

NavyApp wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:36 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:33 pm
WVAPPeer wrote:
No he wouldn't, but what about Mizzou or Louisville? Neither has a rock solid situation at QB and Zac would already have the upper hand in game experience under the HC in both situations. Not to mention being a proven commodity and winner
I agree that he won't. Louisville is the one that I think could really happen for him and several others. Satterfield would probably love to take 15-20 of our guys if he could, even if just for one year. As for Missouri, I don't see any player on our team going. From all accounts, nobody even contemplated going with Drink.

asunate

Unread post by asunate » Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:43 pm

An additional consideration is will there be a scholarship for them? Yes, the NCAA granted eligibility but each program will now have to fund additional scholarships for any seniors that stay an extra year. Last spring, Wisconsin chose not to offer scholarships to senior that wanted to return. They simply couldn't/wouldn't afford it. I have no idea how many additional scholarships App could offer returning seniors but my assumption is it would be limited. So hypothetically....does a senior return to play if there is no scholarship? Just another consideration for moving into a career or some other phase of life.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”