Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

UNCC Game after reflection

t4pizza
School: Appalachian State

UNCC Game after reflection

Unread post by t4pizza » Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:42 am

As I watched the game on Saturday, I wasn't too thrilled by our level of execution, however, now that a few days have past I feel it is a better time to post on my observations.

1. Special teams- we excelled in this area last year when we had a dedicated coach and this year we are off to a bad start. We actually gave up more yards on kickoff return then our defense gave up to their offense (147 yards and 1 td vs 146 yards and 1 td). We also had a blocked field goal attempt. Any long time App fan is used to the all too familiar sight of watching an opposing team return a kick off for a touch down, and it is demoralizing. Hopefully we can get this under control and get back to the type of special teams play that we all saw last year.

2. Defense- I was very happy with the way we played on defense. We only gave up one td and was good news. The bad news was that the td would have never happened had we not had a penalty on 4th down. In fact, 2 of their 3 scores on our defense were a direct result of penalties that allowed drives to continue. This was frustrating and again seems to be somewhat a consistent theme for our team regardless of which head coach is on the sidelines. We need to be more disciplined on downs where we can get the ball back. Otherwise, I thought I defense played well. That late 4th quarter hold after Cam fumbled the ball deep and we were only up 8 was huge and can't be underappreciated. The defense stepped in and dominated that series, it was a thing of beauty.

3. Offense- My feelings of having 3 backs getting equal playing time is much like the old saying about having 2 quarterbacks- it means you don't really have one. EXCEPT, we actually have at least 2 that could be full time starters. I think Cam showed that he is by far our best back, the offense just clicked everytime he was in there, with the exception of the fumble. But Warcus also showed that he can be relied on has a workhorse every down type of back as well and actually had the most yards on the day. And then Daetrich has 2 4th quarter tds. If it weren't for the fumbles from our backs, it would have been a perfect day. Clearly, we need to fix the fumble issue. As far as QB, Zack played a good game, not great but good. I still think he seems to lock in on his receivers but its hard to tell that for sure watching from tv. I would like to see some more passes that hit the receivers in stride and give an opportunity for yards after the catch, but we don't seem to call too many like that.

All in all, after reflection, I am happy with the win and the way we played. Coaches have a lot of things that they can coach from this game and we still got the win. Hopefully the mental mistakes and bad execution can be corrected because I think this years SunBelt teams are stronger than ever before.

ASU2012

Re: UNCC Game after reflection

Unread post by ASU2012 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:56 am

Good news is a lot of our mistakes are correctable. We probably win by 28+ if we simply execute and play Appalachian State football. I trust Clark will take care of the 4th down penalties. I hope that is not a product of the players being "too close" with Clark and thinking they can get away with more. Again, I trust him to take care of it moving forward.

We turned the ball over 3 times, gave them 2 first downs on 4th down, and let them bring back a ST touchdown...and still won by 15. The sky isn't falling. Regroup and play App State football vs Marshall

NavyApp

Unread post by NavyApp » Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:10 am

t4pizza wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:42 am
As I watched the game on Saturday, I wasn't too thrilled by our level of execution, however, now that a few days have past I feel it is a better time to post on my observations.

1. Special teams- we excelled in this area last year when we had a dedicated coach and this year we are off to a bad start. We actually gave up more yards on kickoff return then our defense gave up to their offense (147 yards and 1 td vs 146 yards and 1 td). We also had a blocked field goal attempt. Any long time App fan is used to the all too familiar sight of watching an opposing team return a kick off for a touch down, and it is demoralizing. Hopefully we can get this under control and get back to the type of special teams play that we all saw last year.

2. Defense- I was very happy with the way we played on defense. We only gave up one td and was good news. The bad news was that the td would have never happened had we not had a penalty on 4th down. In fact, 2 of their 3 scores on our defense were a direct result of penalties that allowed drives to continue. This was frustrating and again seems to be somewhat a consistent theme for our team regardless of which head coach is on the sidelines. We need to be more disciplined on downs where we can get the ball back. Otherwise, I thought I defense played well. That late 4th quarter hold after Cam fumbled the ball deep and we were only up 8 was huge and can't be underappreciated. The defense stepped in and dominated that series, it was a thing of beauty.

3. Offense- My feelings of having 3 backs getting equal playing time is much like the old saying about having 2 quarterbacks- it means you don't really have one. EXCEPT, we actually have at least 2 that could be full time starters. I think Cam showed that he is by far our best back, the offense just clicked everytime he was in there, with the exception of the fumble. But Warcus also showed that he can be relied on has a workhorse every down type of back as well and actually had the most yards on the day. And then Daetrich has 2 4th quarter tds. If it weren't for the fumbles from our backs, it would have been a perfect day. Clearly, we need to fix the fumble issue. As far as QB, Zack played a good game, not great but good. I still think he seems to lock in on his receivers but its hard to tell that for sure watching from tv. I would like to see some more passes that hit the receivers in stride and give an opportunity for yards after the catch, but we don't seem to call too many like that.

All in all, after reflection, I am happy with the win and the way we played. Coaches have a lot of things that they can coach from this game and we still got the win. Hopefully the mental mistakes and bad execution can be corrected because I think this years SunBelt teams are stronger than ever before.
I'm with you on the RB Situation, but I think rotating early in the year is going to give the coaching staff a better handle on their usage moving forward. Cam looks the part, one cut and go, patient and an easy strider but he does run a little high(bc he is taller). Marcus is a cannon ball and he has been in big games before. Regardless this is a great "problem" to have, also once that OL gets rolling like they did in the second half it might be irrelevant who is in the backfield!
FREQS AND GEEKS!

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:36 am

NavyApp wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:10 am
t4pizza wrote:

I'm with you on the RB Situation, but I think rotating early in the year is going to give the coaching staff a better handle on their usage moving forward. Cam looks the part, one cut and go, patient and an easy strider but he does run a little high(bc he is taller). Marcus is a cannon ball and he has been in big games before. Regardless this is a great "problem" to have, also once that OL gets rolling like they did in the second half it might be irrelevant who is in the backfield!
I think we’re going to be a running football team, and playing all 3 will (hopefully) keep everyone healthy and fresh for longer. Also, being the first game of the season with 3 relatively new backs, we probably don’t know yet what exactly we have and how some will react to being the featured back.
Give 'em hell!

MAD Doctor

Unread post by MAD Doctor » Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:38 am

Agree on the special teams. There is a reason it is considered one of three phases, along with offense and defense.
From our new Special Teams Coach's Bio:
The Bobcats' kickoff return defense was top 15 in the country each of the last three years, including No. 2 nationally in 2019.
Hoping the run back was just sloppy first game execution. On the blocked kick, we know what the kicking game can do for us or to us (Wake, S. Miss, UT, etc...). Looking for a Special Teams Statement in Huntington.

hotrod2001

Unread post by hotrod2001 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:51 am

I feel like we had a similar discussion after ETSU last year. I do think the rain and a quiet KBS were major factors in the performance of the game. We should have a better idea of where thing stand after Saturday I think.

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:58 am

Let's remember also that we've got essentially a new coaching staff and this was their first game together as a unit and it was only SC's second game as a head coach. With this crazy year we're all going through any win is a blessing.
The players made some mental mistakes and the turnovers were huge and kept Charlotte in the game for sure. Defense played great...when we get all three phases clicking at the same time we're gonna be tough to stop.

Appster99

Unread post by Appster99 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:47 pm

Watching Cam Peoples run in traffic reminded me of Armanti. He just seems to float along with that long stride. It just looks effortless. As far as his fumble, they showed him on the sidelines after that and you know he was more disappointed in himself than any of us could be. Same for Marcus. If it had to happen, let it happen in game one.

AppGrad78

Unread post by AppGrad78 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:48 pm

Pleased with: The running game; the look of the stadium; progress on NEZ; Cam Peoples' return; the defense; college football is back.

Concerned with: Four bonehead mental mistakes.
1) The fourth-down offside penalty when everybody knew Charlotte's plan was to get us to bite.
2) The roughing the kicker penalty when it appeared we were just half-way trying block the kick.
3) The ill-considered lockerroom photo, the optics of which were bad no matter what colored glasses you're looking through.
4) Poor clock management at the end of the first half cost us a chance at a touchdown or at the least an easier field goal try.

And one other thing that doesn't qualify as a bonehead play, but concerning nonetheless. We've got to get a better tackling effort from our kicker. Yeah, he's a kicker, a freshman kicker. But he still should know better tackling technique. That kickoff return for a TD should never have happened.

As someone else suggested, these are all teachable moments.
Last edited by AppGrad78 on Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

biggie
Site Admin

Unread post by biggie » Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:51 pm

Given we haven't heard on Pearson, hope he is well and we that have a good catching TE in storage as well just in case.

yosef69

Unread post by yosef69 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:55 pm

AppGrad78 wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:48 pm
Pleased with: The running game; the look of the stadium; progress on NEZ; Cam Peoples' return; the defense; college football is back.

1) The fourth-down offside penalty when everybody knew Charlotte's plan was to get us to bite.
2) The roughing the kicker penalty when it appeared we were just half-way trying block the kick.
3) The ill-considered lockerroom photo, the optics of which were bad no matter what colored glasses you're looking through.
4) Poor clock management at the end of the first half cost us a chance at a touchdown or at the least an easier field goal try.

And one other thing that doesn't qualify as a bonehead play, but concerning nonetheless. We've got to get a better tackling effort from our kicker. Yeah, he's a kicker, a freshman kicker. But he still should know better tackling technique. That kickoff return for a TD should never have happened.

The 4th and short that they got us to jump on was soooooo demoralizing. Everyone knew they would not snap the ball.

App4that

Unread post by App4that » Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:12 pm

t4pizza wrote:
But Warcus also showed that he can be relied on has a workhorse every down type of back as well and actually had the most yards on the day.
Unless I missed something somewhere, I feel sure that "Warcus" is a typo. However, I love it. :D

Appster99

Unread post by Appster99 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:25 pm

yosef69 wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:55 pm
AppGrad78 wrote:

The 4th and short that they got us to jump on was soooooo demoralizing. Everyone knew they would not snap the ball.
I started to feel bad for Jordan Earle after a while because even the announcers kept on and on. He is a good player, I don't think he will make that mistake again.

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:31 pm

Appster99 wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:25 pm
yosef69 wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:55 pm
AppGrad78 wrote:

I started to feel bad for Jordan Earle after a while because even the announcers kept on and on. He is a good player, I don't think he will make that mistake again.
Yeah, and it's not like he's the first to ever jump like that. Also, I wonder if the quieter stadium had them more conditioned to listen to the QB instead of keying off the movement of the ball snap.

NeersBy90

Unread post by NeersBy90 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:32 pm

I agree with most everything here. As for the kicker and tackling technique... He had him on the sidelines, just push him out of bounds.

I didn't think we played well and still nearly covered a more than 2 TD spread in a "rivalry" game. I think the ceiling is wayyyyy up there for this team and I'm really excited to see where we land, assuming we get these miscues corrected.

BallantyneApp

Unread post by BallantyneApp » Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:35 pm

biggie wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:51 pm
Given we haven't heard on Pearson, hope he is well and we that have a good catching TE in storage as well just in case.
Ethan Joyce reported that Cam people’s was being evaluated for some injury (no update) via HMIC press conference today. UNCC had what I would consider a cheap shot on him post fumble I hope It didn’t bang him up

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:42 pm

BallantyneApp wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:35 pm
biggie wrote:
Ethan Joyce reported that Cam people’s was being evaluated for some injury (no update) via HMIC press conference today. UNCC had what I would consider a cheap shot on him post fumble I hope It didn’t bang him up
Not to mention the hit in the enzone on his TD which should have been a PF

AppAlum1

Unread post by AppAlum1 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:53 pm

Rekdiver wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:42 pm
Not to mention the hit in the enzone on his TD which should have been a PF
Maybe, but the Charlotte player hit him right at the goal line. It was too close to be a penalty, IMO.

Was this the shoulder he injured? He got hit on the left shoulder at the end zone when he scored. But, I thought it was his right shoulder that was hurt later.

Yosef77

Unread post by Yosef77 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:58 pm

Outside of everything everyone has mentioned above, I would like to see us do a better job with some piped in crowd noise the next time we are home. Watched a lot of college football this weekend and some games actually sounded like there was a capacity crowd even though there was no one in the stands. The NFL game with NO and Tampa sounded great. Maybe it is a Sunbelt restriction. I think it might help the players keep the intensity up during the game.

biggie
Site Admin

Unread post by biggie » Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:00 pm

BallantyneApp wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:35 pm
biggie wrote:
Believe they were talking about his injury in the 1st half, which Clark just called a stinger in the left shoulder and he returned in 2nd half. Don't think he was hurt other than that.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”