Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Friday night on ESPN: Coastal Carolina vs. Campbell

Neer86
School: Appalachian State

Friday night on ESPN: Coastal Carolina vs. Campbell

Unread post by Neer86 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:21 am

A chance to see two of our future opponents. And who would have thought the Fighting Camels on ESPN!

ASU3432Mi

Re: Friday night on ESPN: Coastal Carolina vs. Campbell

Unread post by ASU3432Mi » Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:41 am

Camel's QB is tough.

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:16 am

Camels are getting some attention this season. Probably will get more TV appearances than ever in their history. They looked on same level as Ga Southern last week so it will be interesting to see how much impact the missing Eagles had on that game later. The coach for Campbell seems like he has it together and keeps those guys focused. Their 4 game season is all upside for those guys, playing with house money and nothing to lose.

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:29 am

Campbell, as a university is on an upswing. Their engineering school is gaining some traction and they've been hosting the NC state championship tournament for the FIRST Robotics League. I know of at least one of the kids that was on my son's robotics team that opted to go to Campbell probably as a result of this exposure and being on the campus for the tournament weekends. The kids on these FIRST teams are pretty amazing.

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:54 am

To clarify for other readers, he is not emphatically saying they are the first robotics league to exists. FIRST is literally the name of the league.

Campbell is being "discovered" by a lot more students who want to be near Raleigh but have to be IN Raleigh. They have a great pharmacy school as well. If you've never been to a basketball game there I highly recommend it if you are in the neighborhood. Great small arena atmosphere. Well designed to create that atmosphere.

I think a lot of students are starting to look beyond the traditional state schools for a different experience in college. Campbell has been on the benefitting end of that trend.

They also have plenty of room to expand. 40 minutes to Raleigh, 20 minutes to Fuquay-Varina (which has some Raleigh wealth). Its not as bad of a middle of nowhere school as it once was.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:33 am

Campbell's football team is certainly improving. They were a joke the last time we played, but they are a solid Big South team now. They had 8 wins last year, but that included a squeaker against Davidson and they got dominated by both Coastal and Troy. We do need to show up and execute, but barring a collapse by App, they shouldn't be a threat. GS was hit hard and had 33 players not dressed out this past week including 7 starters. I'm not trying to make excuses for the Eagles, but that game was likely an anomaly.

App has to remember that every team is going to gun for us these days. P5 teams no longer take us for granted and FCS teams work all summery with our game in mind. Campbell is gaining momentum and any team that believes they can win can be dangerous. It's college football and crazy things happen.

biggie
Site Admin

Unread post by biggie » Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:44 am

This should let us know where the Camels are since GS without all those players is hard to judge. If Coastal wins easy I wouldn't know if that is a true measure of them either.

App91

Unread post by App91 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:52 pm

Yosef84 wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:33 am
Campbell's football team is certainly improving. They were a joke the last time we played, but they are a solid Big South team now. They had 8 wins last year, but that included a squeaker against Davidson and they got dominated by both Coastal and Troy. We do need to show up and execute, but barring a collapse by App, they shouldn't be a threat. GS was hit hard and had 33 players not dressed out this past week including 7 starters. I'm not trying to make excuses for the Eagles, but that game was likely an anomaly.

App has to remember that every team is going to gun for us these days. P5 teams no longer take us for granted and FCS teams work all summery with our game in mind. Campbell is gaining momentum and any team that believes they can win can be dangerous. It's college football and crazy things happen.
Mike Minter, IMO, is the real deal as a coach

Neer86

Unread post by Neer86 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:19 pm

I would imagine he is a force on the recruiting trail, given his recent past in the NFL and especially as a Carolina Panther, which probably means a lot of guys he recruits recognize him.

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:27 pm

Neer86 wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:19 pm

I would imagine he is a force on the recruiting trail, given his recent past in the NFL and especially as a Carolina Panther, which probably means a lot of guys he recruits recognize him.
I would wager throwing almost any former nfl player on the recruiting trail is going to be good for business. I doubt that these highschool kids he's recruiting have any idea who he is without looking him up. If tannehill, goff, carr, or some other not top 10 QBs showed up I doubt they would recognize them either without an introduction. The background of having "been there" is what recruits love to hear about.

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:37 pm

appdaze wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:54 am
To clarify for other readers, he is not emphatically saying they are the first robotics league to exists. FIRST is literally the name of the league.

Campbell is being "discovered" by a lot more students who want to be near Raleigh but have to be IN Raleigh. They have a great pharmacy school as well. If you've never been to a basketball game there I highly recommend it if you are in the neighborhood. Great small arena atmosphere. Well designed to create that atmosphere.

I think a lot of students are starting to look beyond the traditional state schools for a different experience in college. Campbell has been on the benefitting end of that trend.

They also have plenty of room to expand. 40 minutes to Raleigh, 20 minutes to Fuquay-Varina (which has some Raleigh wealth). Its not as bad of a middle of nowhere school as it once was.
Campbell offers many trending career fields, especially in the medical field. You never have and still can't buy beer in Buies Creek though. My son and his fiance both graduate their relatively new DO program in May.
BLACK SATURDAY

ASU85Grad

Unread post by ASU85Grad » Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:13 pm

appdaze wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:27 pm
Neer86 wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:19 pm

I would wager throwing almost any former nfl player on the recruiting trail is going to be good for business. I doubt that these highschool kids he's recruiting have any idea who he is without looking him up. If tannehill, goff, carr, or some other not top 10 QBs showed up I doubt they would recognize them either without an introduction. The background of having "been there" is what recruits love to hear about.
I agree, the kids do not know who Mike M. Is, but their dads probably do and that alone would open a lot of doors. Personally. I have always liked Mike Minter, class act.

ASUchipman

Unread post by ASUchipman » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:03 pm

I dont know how many of you watched Coastal play Kansas but they flat dominated them. The QB for Coastal is a freshman from Indian Trail. He ran that offense well. I was Impressed.

pop5app

Unread post by pop5app » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:33 pm

If he’s from Indian Trail, it’s likely he went to Sun Valley. Same school as Sam Howell, if he’s a true freshman sounds like he was the High school quarterback after Howell.

ASUchipman

Unread post by ASUchipman » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:41 pm

He went to Porter Ridge high. Of the three wins the SBC had against the Big 12 I thought this was most impressive.

appstate77

Unread post by appstate77 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:20 pm

Campbell has a top notch Divinity School, on par with Wake Forest and can hold their own with Duke. Their school of education is also top shelf.
Minter is a good football guy. It won't be 66-0 this time.

goapps93

Unread post by goapps93 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:04 am

appstate77 wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:20 pm
Campbell has a top notch Divinity School, on par with Wake Forest and can hold their own with Duke. Their school of education is also top shelf.
I'm a student in that Divinity School. Not sure how much allegiance I'll give the Camels athletic teams. The football team will get none next week. GOAPPS!!!
WE ARE YOSEF!

appstate77

Unread post by appstate77 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:28 am

goapps93 wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:04 am
appstate77 wrote:
I'm a student in that Divinity School. Not sure how much allegiance I'll give the Camels athletic teams. The football team will get none next week. GOAPPS!!!
I did my MDiv at Southeastern in the 70s. I've looked at Campbell's DMin and am impressed with how they do it.

AppAlum1

Unread post by AppAlum1 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:19 pm

goapps93 wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:04 am
appstate77 wrote:
True that. I got my juris doctor (thats a law degree) at Wake Forest. 100 % of my allegiance remains with App., where i got a BS and MBA. So maybe ive been educated beyond my intelligence. Regardless, Go Apps !!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”