Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Marshall Coach press conf

AppinVA
School: Appalachian State

Re: Marshall Coach press conf

Unread post by AppinVA » Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:37 pm

Appy State was used by the Huntington media back in the day. Whether or not it was to put us down, I can’t say. While Appy bothers me, it doesn’t piss me off to the extent of Appalayshun.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

ukappfan

Unread post by ukappfan » Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:41 pm

I would rather hear Appy then Appalaychia any day
Last edited by ukappfan on Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wncapp78

Unread post by wncapp78 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:44 pm

Is it more derogatory than “Vandy”?
More than NEERS?
Yes it is in the Media Guide as Do Not Use.
But in East Tenn/SW Va/WV it is used all the time, not as a slam.
The MLB Rookie League, The Appalachian League was universally referred to by fans and media as THE APPY LEAGUE. I promise they were not trying to insult App State.
There is a small town in SWVA, Appalachia, Va, where many of the residents say they are from APPY VA.
We have noted to all media we do not wish to be called APPY State. I’m good to not lose sleep if someone doesn’t see that or realize it.
Now—-NEERS?? Fingernails Screeching on the Blackboard.

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:24 pm

I hope Ethan asks Coach Clark a question about Marsha.
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

biggie
Site Admin

Unread post by biggie » Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:43 pm

Appstate88 wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:24 pm
Clark’s was Monday though. Already over.

Alan

Unread post by Alan » Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:44 pm

It was definitely used in a derogatory way in the 90s and before. It seemed especially from Marshall fans, but that could have just been my feelings and the rivalry. Doesn’t seem to be used in that way so much anymore when I hear it, but would not surprise me if that reporter was playing to the Marshall crowd.

goapps93

Unread post by goapps93 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:59 pm

Appstate88 wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:24 pm
Been waiting for someone to use Marsha.
WE ARE YOSEF!

AppfaninCAALand

Unread post by AppfaninCAALand » Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:22 pm

hapapp wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:59 pm
Well, back in my day (early 70s) at App, people often referred to it as Happy Appy. Heck my screen name comes close. Most of the folks my age (non-App folks) often say Appy State and they aren't being disrespectful. Frankly, it doesn't bother me. Sometimes, I think, we can be a bit too sensitive about such.
My folks grew up in Ohio (We moved to NC when I was 3) Mom's cousin came south to play football at Lenior-Rhyne in the 60s, back when L-R and App were conference rivals.

While I was in school at App in the 90s, we went to a wedding up in Dayton. I spoke with her cousin about his experience at L-R and playing ball in Boone. He called me a "Happy Appy". I thought it was funny, not offensive, but that was literally the only time I had ever heard "Happy Appy" until joining this message board's predecessor in '04 or '05. It never occurred to me that it was something people complained about until coming here. I just assumed it was a 60s-70s era nickname.

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:50 pm

I think few if any use it in a derogatory way.

I ran into a 50ish lady from Virginia in Costco in Atlanta a few years ago that saw my App shirt and she fondly reminisced about her best trip partying at Appy State when she was young. She used it in high regard.
Last edited by AtlAppMan on Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

1ASU78

Unread post by 1ASU78 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:58 am

Jim Donnan used Appy every chance he got And not in an endearing way.

Give em hell APPS!!!

4DHerd
School: Marshall

Unread post by 4DHerd » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:05 am

For those of you complaining about the reference of "Appy State" being intended as a disrespect from Doc, then you did not watch the entire video or did you hear what he said. He praised your coaching staff, players and program though out the press conf. MU fans love App State and we are truly excited to have these matchups again. Heck, many wish we could see this game every year.

I grew up in Huntington during the Southern Conf days and that was how the media used the schools name. In no way was or is it meant to put your program down. We look forward to Saturday and please for those driving up have a safe trip.

Also, for those thinking this will be a cake walk on either side is greatly incorrect. You guys have a solid program and for MU we are finally heading in the right direction with a QB who is capable of finding open targets and threading the needle. MU will be much tougher than the 49's. We lost to them due to a QB who had all kinds of issues and we have many weapons now that were not available last year. It's a new day.

If you are looking for a good place to eat, try Fat Patty's next to the stadium . Go Herd.

NavyApp

Unread post by NavyApp » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:21 am

4DHerd wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:05 am
For those of you complaining about the reference of "Appy State" being intended as a disrespect from Doc, then you did not watch the entire video or did you hear what he said. He praised your coaching staff, players and program though out the press conf. MU fans love App State and we are truly excited to have these matchups again. Heck, many wish we could see this game every year.

I grew up in Huntington during the Southern Conf days and that was how the media used the schools name. In no way was or is it meant to put your program down. We look forward to Saturday and please for those driving up have a safe trip.

Also, for those thinking this will be a cake walk on either side is greatly incorrect. You guys have a solid program and for MU we are finally heading in the right direction with a QB who is capable of finding open targets and threading the needle. MU will be much tougher than the 49's. We lost to them due to a QB who had all kinds of issues and we have many weapons now that were not available last year. It's a new day.

If you are looking for a good place to eat, try Fat Patty's next to the stadium . Go Herd.
Hey friend, thanks for stopping by glad to have you! I'd love to clear up a couple of points for you. First no one said anything about Doc except it seems he has a healthy respect for our staff and program. The "Appy" comments were in reference to the reporter not Doc. Secondly I don't believe anyone here thinks we are walking into Joan C. Edwards stadium and crushing the Herd. Honestly I believe the sentiment here is that this is going to be a dog fight between two very good teams. Now listen there will be plenty of comments made on here that would be considered offensive to your fan base, but they haven't been made yet.

Again thanks for stopping by, we are really excited to renewing a rivalry of this magnitude. Hope you guys are too!
FREQS AND GEEKS!

BUTCH1991

Unread post by BUTCH1991 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:25 am

To stir it up:

Apps > Appy > Neers > Appalayshun

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:45 am

Jim Donnan , correct.Go NEERY , beat Marcey!

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:46 am

ah59396 wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:35 pm
hapapp wrote:
Well, back in my day (early 70s) at App, people often referred to it as Happy Appy. Heck my screen name comes close. Most of the folks my age (non-App folks) often say Appy State and they aren't being disrespectful. Frankly, it doesn't bother me. Sometimes, I think, we can be a bit too sensitive about such.
Waaay too sensitive. “Appy” isn’t nearly as cringe as the people that complain about being called it.
That's the biggest thing wrong our society now.
BLACK SATURDAY

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:52 am

4DHerd wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:05 am

From the interview, I like your coach Doc, great name. Don't forget that your QB is a Freshman, and has played 1 game against an FCS caliber team. The competition is a few notches better this Saturday, for both teams.
BLACK SATURDAY

MtnMan09

Unread post by MtnMan09 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:58 am

hapapp wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:47 pm
MtnMan09 wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:26 pm
hapapp wrote:
But it is derogatory and that's why people don't like it. A "Happy Appy" was a stoned app student. It was used to talk down to us as a "little brother" institution that was just a place for kids who liked to get high. Ive never heard anyone use it in a context where they were trying to refer to us fondly. Its always used when someone is scoffing at us and trying to place us beneath their school.
I've never had anyone use it as a derogatory reference when talking to me. They have no idea that some folks are offended. I also don't live in NC. Sorry but I'm not bothered by it and never correct them. I don't have an inferiority complex about where I went to school.
Its great that it doesnt bother you. But I certainly dont agree that those who don't like it, myself included, have an "inferiority complex" about their alma mater. I actually think our university is a first class institution worthy of respect. If they dont mean anything by "Appy" then its should be just as easy for them to use/call us App. Its one letter. Noone calls Mississippi State "Missy State" or Missouri "Mizzouy." It began as a dig, it will always be a dig (conciously or subconsciously), and I think its fair that a majority of our fans don't like it.

NoLongerLurking

Unread post by NoLongerLurking » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:15 am

Roll Appy!

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:26 am

Funny from that clip and all the great comments Doc had about his observations we’ve focused 90% on what one reporter refers to our program.

Doc is a good coach and obviously in tune with our personnel referencing about a dozen playmakers.

They’ll be prepared to fight and that QB freshman or not will be one of the best 3 QBs we’ll face all year.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:00 am

wncapp78 wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:44 pm
Is it more derogatory than “Vandy”?
More than NEERS?
Yes it is in the Media Guide as Do Not Use.
But in East Tenn/SW Va/WV it is used all the time, not as a slam.
The MLB Rookie League, The Appalachian League was universally referred to by fans and media as THE APPY LEAGUE. I promise they were not trying to insult App State.
There is a small town in SWVA, Appalachia, Va, where many of the residents say they are from APPY VA.
We have noted to all media we do not wish to be called APPY State. I’m good to not lose sleep if someone doesn’t see that or realize it.
Now—-NEERS?? Fingernails Screeching on the Blackboard.
Agree on NEERS!! Season tickets should be lost if a ticket holder used that term!! 😁
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”