Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Marshall Coach press conf

4DHerd
School: Marshall

Re: Marshall Coach press conf

Unread post by 4DHerd » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:08 am

Looking forward to having you all in Huntington. Drive safe and enjoy the game.

NashvilleNeer
School: Appalachian State

Unread post by NashvilleNeer » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:20 am

Tbatchelor1977 wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:00 am
wncapp78 wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:44 pm
Is it more derogatory than “Vandy”?
More than NEERS?
Yes it is in the Media Guide as Do Not Use.
But in East Tenn/SW Va/WV it is used all the time, not as a slam.
The MLB Rookie League, The Appalachian League was universally referred to by fans and media as THE APPY LEAGUE. I promise they were not trying to insult App State.
There is a small town in SWVA, Appalachia, Va, where many of the residents say they are from APPY VA.
We have noted to all media we do not wish to be called APPY State. I’m good to not lose sleep if someone doesn’t see that or realize it.
Now—-NEERS?? Fingernails Screeching on the Blackboard.
Agree on NEERS!! Season tickets should be lost if a ticket holder used that term!! 😁
I guess i can't say shit since i have Neers in my name, but I don't see any issue with that. Roll Neers on the other hand is absolutely one of the dumbest sayings i've ever heard and you deserve to kicked out of the stadium if you yell that. It makes no sense. Back to original point on "Appy" thankfully it seems it's only an older thing, so I don't see the annoying nickname carrying on, but clearly it became popular when a lot of you guys were in school because of our rivals. Interesting.

NashvilleNeer

Unread post by NashvilleNeer » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:23 am

AppinVA wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:37 pm
Appy State was used by the Huntington media back in the day. Whether or not it was to put us down, I can’t say. While Appy bothers me, it doesn’t piss me off to the extent of Appalayshun.
Correct. I want to jump through the TV every time i hear them butcher Appalachian.

NashvilleNeer

Unread post by NashvilleNeer » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:30 am

4DHerd wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:05 am
For those of you complaining about the reference of "Appy State" being intended as a disrespect from Doc, then you did not watch the entire video or did you hear what he said. He praised your coaching staff, players and program though out the press conf. MU fans love App State and we are truly excited to have these matchups again. Heck, many wish we could see this game every year.

I grew up in Huntington during the Southern Conf days and that was how the media used the schools name. In no way was or is it meant to put your program down. We look forward to Saturday and please for those driving up have a safe trip.

Also, for those thinking this will be a cake walk on either side is greatly incorrect. You guys have a solid program and for MU we are finally heading in the right direction with a QB who is capable of finding open targets and threading the needle. MU will be much tougher than the 49's. We lost to them due to a QB who had all kinds of issues and we have many weapons now that were not available last year. It's a new day.

If you are looking for a good place to eat, try Fat Patty's next to the stadium . Go Herd.
Nobody said it was used in any sort of negative way during that interview, relax. I was just curious where and why the nickname started because I hear it mostly from Marshall people that i know, WVU, Tenn, and a few others and they all tend to be in their 50's-60's and that I think it's a dumb nickname. I think you're allowed to care what others call your school.

Not many think it'll be cakewalk. I watched your first game and the QB looks good, so it should be a close one. Big opportunity for both programs to show out on a bigger stage than we normally get and I wish I could make it up there for it.

Kafarmer

Unread post by Kafarmer » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:07 am

4DHerd wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:08 am
Looking forward to having you all in Huntington. Drive safe and enjoy the game.
Classy 4DHerd. See you Saturday!

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:08 am

Message board rivals use "Appy" as a derogatory simply because some folks give such a knee jerk reaction to it. They post "Appy" and someone immediately has to give them exactly what they wanted by acting all offended. Same situation with the UL vs ULL and UNCC vs Charlotte.

Personally, I tend to call schools whatever they prefer to be called. It's no skin off of my nose. The win I'm looking for is on the field, not on the message board. I'm not judging anyone who enjoys the smack talk or whatever...just not what I enjoy doing.

Most of the other folks using "Appy" are not intending any insult. They think it's a "familiar" form of our name and don't understand it gets under folk's skin. Professional broadcasters really SHOULDN'T make this mistake, nor should they mispronounce Appalachian. It's their job to know these things, so it does annoy me when they do it. I don't take offense but it is a sign that they did zero prep for their job. It's lazy and just plain slack.

MtnMan09

Unread post by MtnMan09 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:38 am

Tbatchelor1977 wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:00 am
wncapp78 wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:44 pm
Is it more derogatory than “Vandy”?
More than NEERS?
Yes it is in the Media Guide as Do Not Use.
But in East Tenn/SW Va/WV it is used all the time, not as a slam.
The MLB Rookie League, The Appalachian League was universally referred to by fans and media as THE APPY LEAGUE. I promise they were not trying to insult App State.
There is a small town in SWVA, Appalachia, Va, where many of the residents say they are from APPY VA.
We have noted to all media we do not wish to be called APPY State. I’m good to not lose sleep if someone doesn’t see that or realize it.
Now—-NEERS?? Fingernails Screeching on the Blackboard.
Agree on NEERS!! Season tickets should be lost if a ticket holder used that term!! 😁
So why does the same logic not apply to Neers? Its a nickname the students gave the teams themselves starting in the early 2000s, not thrust on them by outsiders. Other schools have shortened Mountaineers prior to this. WVU calls themselves the 'eers. By your above logic Neers should be more ok than Appy since its not listed as "Do Not Use" in the media guide.

Blackshirt68

Unread post by Blackshirt68 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:46 am

Don’t mind Happy Appy. We used to say that in the 60s. Also called it UNC-Tweetsie. Tar Heels called us Applechain, which was a bit too much. Today, just pronounce our name correct and don’t pronounce the “t” in Mountaineer!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”